KG talks about next season + returning to Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lil-Caesarz. Show Lil-Caesarz's posts

KG talks about next season + returning to Boston

http://www.csnne.com/blog/standing-room-only/post/KG-sheds-some-light?blockID=679484&feedID=9961

Garnnett said he truthfully doesn't know what he's going to do about next year, indicating that if he did come back to play it would most likely be for Doc Rivers but that he also didn't want to "limit his options." In other words, don't hold your breath on an answer.

But there was one part of the interview that was particularly interesting. 

In discussing the pros and cons of coming back next year, he said:

"I never wanted to be pieced around, or treated like a pawn, or a piece on the board. Loyalty in this game has been depleted on both sides. The business of this game is terrible for players. It's all over the place. I have to choose and make a decision to whether to be part of the future of that. I wish players would take more of a stand in our league and understand that it's a player's league."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: KG talks about next season + returning to Boston

In Response to KG talks about next season + returning to Boston:
    [QUOTE]http://www.csnne.com/blog/standing-room-only/post/KG-sheds-some-light?blockID=679484&feedID=9961 Garnnett said he truthfully doesn't know what he's going to do about next year, indicating that if he did come back to play it would most likely be for Doc Rivers but that he also didn't want to "limit his options." In other words, don't hold your breath on an answer. But there was one part of the interview that was particularly interesting.  In discussing the pros and cons of coming back next year, he said: "I never wanted to be pieced around, or treated like a pawn, or a piece on the board. Loyalty in this game has been depleted on both sides. The business of this game is terrible for players. It's all over the place. I have to choose and make a decision to whether to be part of the future of that. I wish players would take more of a stand in our league and understand that it's a player's league."
    Posted by Lil-Caesarz[/QUOTE]
    The idea that he may go to play for the Lakers is really hard to take.  I heard Gary Tanguay last night saying he thought he would go play for the Lakers next year off the bench.  Tanguay is not the smartest guy in the world and is wrong about many things.  It would seem KG playing for a team like the Lakers is crazy considering the hard feelings.  People on this BB who doubted KG have been proven wrong big time,  he is the heart of the Celtics.  Ainge better have some great alternatives.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: KG talks about next season + returning to Boston:
    [QUOTE]In Response to KG talks about next season + returning to Boston : The idea that he may go to play for the Lakers is really hard to take.  I heard Gary Tanguay last night saying he thought he would go play for the Lakers next year off the bench.  Tanguay is not the smartest guy in the world and is wrong about many things.  It would seem KG playing for a team like the Lakers is crazy considering the hard feelings.  People on this BB who doubted KG have been proven wrong big time,  he is the heart of the Celtics.  Ainge better have some great alternatives.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

It would be surprising and disappointing to see KG play for the Lakers next season.  If he doesn't sign with the Celtics I would be ok to see him sign with another team, but not one our competitors, (Heat, Bulls, Lakers, etc.). 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I bet KG was speaking to Ainge there, as well.  His message:  "don't try to make me some pawn in your scheme....either commit to me or don't but if you sign me - there will be a no trade agreement and I won't be a part of constant trade talk.  I will be loyal and I will expect you to be loyal".  That's where Doc's influence on Danny will make a huge difference.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Sad but true...he or she who has the gold makes the rules! Kevin....retire and start your own league.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Um KG has every right to be POd, etc. (Although the league did make him one of the richest people on the planet); but I will grant that a certain amount of hypocrisy is inevitable in our complex society and KG is certainly a big player. And I agree with his sentiment, Red was right about loyalty, it matters a ton, and Danny is therefore wrong. But what I do not like about the KG interview is the timing; KG are you going to make a run for the title this year or not? If yes, then what he heck does next year matter, that can come later after you give Red Auerbach's and Bill Russell's team everything you've got this year to win a World Championship. Celtic Pride is real and bigger than all that if you chose it to be that way. "Chamberlain was the most unbelievable physical specimen ever. There wasn't anything he couldn't do on the basketball court...but there was one thing he couldn't do. He couldn't beat us." RA "Red communicated the same attitude to us on the Celtics: let's go find ways to win and enjoy the he'll out of it! Which we did." BR

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

A player of KG's stature deserves to be heard and respected. Even if they don't offer him an extension initially, he should be brought back - if it's at a lower salary, he should be given other long-term incentives, not necessarily tied to on-court contributions. Ditto RA and the same with Pierce next year. The Celtics have always been tighter as a group than most other teams, and they've maintained retired players in one capacity or another over the years. Garnett is spot-on when he speaks about a lack of loyalty going both ways between players and ownership. One loss that arose from free agency was loyality, and when players, especially veteran players, want to stay with team, many times it's not possible. That seems and is a heartless, antithetical approach to getting a team to gel and stay supportive of one another beyond a single year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]I bet KG was speaking to Ainge there, as well.  His message:  "don't try to make me some pawn in your scheme....either commit to me or don't but if you sign me - there will be a no trade agreement and I won't be a part of constant trade talk.  I will be loyal and I will expect you to be loyal".  That's where Doc's influence on Danny will make a huge difference.  
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I think that's exactly what he is saying there.  And I think he was getting Rondo's back at the same time.  I hope KG retires a Celtic and that it doesn't happen for a few more years.  They've got a team this year, and with a couple good moves in free agency after this season they can be right back in the conversation for the next three years.  None of the teams out there are dynasties.

His point is extremely valid.  Ainge should come out before the playoffs and state that Rondo is a Celtic for life, KG is a Celtic for life, Ray(6th man of the year candidate next year), Paul, Celtics for life.  Nothing will come back in return for any of those players that's worth it.  Their roles will diminish over the next few years but the identity of the Celtics won't, and that's as good as gold. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: KG talks about next season + returning to Boston :  I think that's exactly what he is saying there.  And I think he was getting Rondo's back at the same time.  I hope KG retires a Celtic and that it doesn't happen for a few more years.  They've got a team this year, and with a couple good moves in free agency after this season they can be right back in the conversation for the next three years.  None of the teams out there are dynasties.  His point is extremely valid.  Ainge should come out before the playoffs and state that Rondo is a Celtic for life, KG is a Celtic for life, Ray(6th man of the year candidate next year), Paul, Celtics for life.  Nothing will come back in return for any of those players that's worth it.  Their roles will diminish over the next few years but the identity of the Celtics won't, and that's as good as gold. 
    Posted by passfirst[/QUOTE]
    I hope you are right, the Celtics may have already done some damage and Garnett is telling us here.  Doc hopefully can sway him.  The idea of playing with the Lakers because he has a house in Malibu seems to go against who KG has stated he is character wise.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

The Lakers do not want KG. He's a one-ring only player and he can't rebound and he's a punk. What ever happens to this clown, he won't wear the world's most famous NBA jersey.....purple and gold!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8brd. Show sk8brd's posts

"I never wanted to be pieced around, or treated like a pawn, or a piece on the board."

What a great idea.  Maybe Danny should sign KG this offseason, and then trade him the next day for a couple of draft picks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

I think it cuts both ways and hope the players can also accept lower pay to enable the team to reinforce. Ideally, Danny and Doc should have a pow wow with KG, PP and RA on how the team should be structured next season and who to go after. I'm probably being naive, as free agency can be brutal business, but it would be nice to have those 3 retire here as role players but help rebuild the Celts.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedCoach. Show RedCoach's posts

Danny's loyalty should be the Celtics first & foremost.  If it means letting KG & RA go, let it be.  The NBA has already made KG & RA very, very wealthy men so it's not like these two HOFers have been mistreated.

The team needs young, HOFers to contend for the future.

15. This post has been removed.