KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Re: KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers?

Sad to say but what you're asking is impossible to answer. It's like asking what if Michael Jordan was not drafted by the Bulls.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Re: KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers?

Bill Russell seems to prefer Duncan as a player. I'll side with Bill Russells opinion on who has the better game.

Hard to say it, but being honest, I think the Spurs have an excellent chance of winning another championship this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LightSaber. Show LightSaber's posts

"The Celtics with KG -1 championship, and the Spurs with Duncan - zero championships."

I hope you did not intentionally not include the fact that Tim Duncan is a three-time Finals MVP.

Finals Record

TD - 4-0

KG - 1-1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LightSaber. Show LightSaber's posts

I also find it hard to believe that KG and the Wolves only got past the 1st round only once, in 2004. The Wolves were not exactly a lottery team when KG was there. In the 12 seasons that KG spent with the Wolves they made the playoffs 8 straight times and had 4 seasons of 50 or more wins.

IMO KG is more like Pau Gasol. Pau also never made it past the 1st round of the playoffs when he was a Grizz. If we were to compare Pau and KG since Gasol came to the Lakers it's pretty obvious that Pau Gasol is way better than KG. You might not agree but like your KG has 1 ring and Timmy zero, since KG came to the Celtics, argument the fact that Gasol is 2-1 against KG in the Finals it automatically makes Gasol the better player. Not to mention how KG got embarrassed by Pau in Game 7 of last season's Finals.

Honestly, this thread is similar to a dog chasing it's own tail, just going round and round. We will never know how KG would have performed if he didn't play for the Timberwolves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers?:
    [QUOTE]"The Celtics with KG -1 championship, and the Spurs with Duncan - zero championships." I hope you did not intentionally not include the fact that Tim Duncan is a three-time Finals MVP. Finals Record TD - 4-0 KG - 1-1
    Posted by LightSaber[/QUOTE]

Jump, you got caught again, huh?

It's called subtle manipulation, right?

I can't believe you included All-Star trivia as one of your references, Jump.

Before I forget, how in the world we'll we know how KG would have done if he didn't play for the Wolves? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

My gut tells me to always go with the post-up player.

Duncan has always been a superior post up player with a good mid range jumper...and I love watching his bank shots, something thats gone in the NBA.

Duncan also has a great temperment on the court. Not a hot dog and a real team player.  He's got titles but I dont think his teams ever beat great teams to win championships.

KG has more range but doesnt have the inside presence. KGs career has been mainly jump shots, aggressiveness and defense. KG also the ultimate team player.

Looking at the careers of both.. Id have to give edge to Duncan...maybe thats cause all I ever hear on TV is DUncan is greatest PF in NBA history.. dont discount how much that may play into your thinking, myself included.

but also those titles he has.. Duncan won those champioships as the MAIN MAN on the Spurs.. that goes a long way

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

Duncan is a much better offensive player.  Duncan in is prime would dominate in the post.  KG was never a good post player.  KG has always been more of a mid-range player.

KG is a much better defensive player.

It would be hard to say who would have been better in their prime.  Some would argue Duncan because he had the post moves.  Others would say KG because at the end of the day defense wins games.

I would say, it would depend on the make-up of the rest of the team.  I like them both, but if I had a choice between the two I would prefer Duncan.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

In Response to Re: KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers?:
    [QUOTE]I also find it hard to believe that KG and the Wolves only got past the 1st round only once, in 2004. The Wolves were not exactly a lottery team when KG was there. In the 12 seasons that KG spent with the Wolves they made the playoffs 8 straight times and had 4 seasons of 50 or more wins. IMO KG is more like Pau Gasol. Pau also never made it past the 1st round of the playoffs when he was a Grizz. If we were to compare Pau and KG since Gasol came to the Lakers it's pretty obvious that Pau Gasol is way better than KG. You might not agree but like your KG has 1 ring and Timmy zero, since KG came to the Celtics, argument the fact that Gasol is 2-1 against KG in the Finals it automatically makes Gasol the better player. Not to mention how KG got embarrassed by Pau in Game 7 of last season's Finals. Honestly, this thread is similar to a dog chasing it's own tail, just going round and round. We will never know how KG would have performed if he didn't play for the Timberwolves.

Yes, but don't forget the fact that Spur have been coached by Popovich for the 4 times Duncan won the championship.  Popovich is the best coach in the league in my opinion.  Who coached the Timberwolves during the KG era? 

Also, in Minny, KG never played with players of the caliber of David Robinson, Manu Ginobli and Tony Parker.  The good players he had on his Minny team were inferior to these 3 that I just mentioned.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

'Sota would have been better with Timmy b/c he would have signed for a little less cash, allowing them to bring in some helpful talent, and overall he was just a little more stable, little bit better than KG in the late 90's early 00's.

I think KG's '04 MVP year was better than any season Timmy did. What KG did here in '08 I don't think Duncan would have done either at that point in his career with 4 titles already... so I'm glad we got KG.

KG would have fit better next to David Robinson than Duncan did... and SA would have at least won the 1st 2 titles, and probably the last 2 as well, if they got a real Center... not some Fabby Oberto type... to play w/ KG.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]My gut tells me to always go with the post-up player. Duncan has always been a superior post up player with a good mid range jumper...and I love watching his bank shots, something thats gone in the NBA. Duncan also has a great temperment on the court. Not a hot dog and a real team player.  He's got titles but I dont think his teams ever beat great teams to win championships. KG has more range but doesnt have the inside presence. KGs career has been mainly jump shots, aggressiveness and defense. KG also the ultimate team player. Looking at the careers of both.. Id have to give edge to Duncan...maybe thats cause all I ever hear on TV is DUncan is greatest PF in NBA history.. dont discount how much that may play into your thinking, myself included. but also those titles he has.. Duncan won those champioships as the MAIN MAN on the Spurs.. that goes a long way
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

1 vote for Duncan, Jump.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Bill Russell seems to prefer Duncan as a player. I'll side with Bill Russells opinion on who has the better game. Hard to say it, but being honest, I think the Spurs have an excellent chance of winning another championship this season.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Another vote for Duncan, Jump.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Duncan is a much better offensive player.  Duncan in is prime would dominate in the post.  KG was never a good post player.  KG has always been more of a mid-range player. KG is a much better defensive player. It would be hard to say who would have been better in their prime.  Some would argue Duncan because he had the post moves.  Others would say KG because at the end of the day defense wins games. I would say, it would depend on the make-up of the rest of the team.  I like them both, but if I had a choice between the two I would prefer Duncan.
    Posted by bilalkazmi[/QUOTE]

He prefers Duncan, Jump.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]'Sota would have been better with Timmy b/c he would have signed for a little less cash, allowing them to bring in some helpful talent, and overall he was just a little more stable, little bit better than KG in the late 90's early 00's. I think KG's '04 MVP year was better than any season Timmy did. What KG did here in '08 I don't think Duncan would have done either at that point in his career with 4 titles already... so I'm glad we got KG. KG would have fit better next to David Robinson than Duncan did... and SA would have at least won the 1st 2 titles, and probably the last 2 as well, if they got a real Center... not some Fabby Oberto type... to play w/ KG.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Duncan was better in the late 90s and early 00s, Jump.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

In Response to KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers?:
    [QUOTE] 3. Number of All-star starts KG 11, Duncan 11. (2) 4. Number of All-star appearances KG 13, Duncan 12. [/QUOTE]

These two may seem to favor KG over Duncan. However, if you put it in another way you will see these statistics are in Duncan's favor:

KG has 11 starts and 13 apperances as an all-star over 15 seasons
    Duncan has 11 starts and 12 apperances as an all-star over 13 seasons

Although, to be fair, it seems KG will be a starter this season and Duncan will be voted in by the coaches.  Next year, if KG is healthy, the same will likely happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers? : These two may seem to favor KG over Duncan. However, if you put it in another way you will see these statistics are in Duncan's favor: KG has 11 starts and 13 apperances as an all-star over 15 seasons Duncan has 11 starts and 12 apperances as an all-star over 13 seasons Although, to be fair, it seems KG will be a starter this season and Duncan will be voted in by the coaches.  Next year, if KG is healthy, the same will likely happen.

Like I said, Jump-ball-overtime/TeamUbuntu is the master of subtle manipulation. He didn't even mention the 3 Finals MVP that Duncan has.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Thanks for the input guys.

Here are some points to ponder.

This is a thread about how things might have been different if the two best "power forwards" of their generation had been placed in opposite circumstances. While it is impossible to come to a definitive conclusion, there is evidence for more than one point of view.

Yes, Duncan was the MVP of all of the Spurs finals except one. Parker was also a finals MVP. Certainly comparing finals MVP's makes little sense in this comparision because this is a "what if" their team situation had been reversed thread.

KG was never in a finals except after he left the Wolves, and in 2008 the finals MVP could have easily gone to Allen or KG instead of Pierce.Yes, we all know that the Spurs went to the finals and won four times, and Duncan has four rings, and three finals MVP's

Duncan's offensive game was better than KG's?

The  evidence shows that that is not necessarily true. KG's numbers were better than Duncan's before he joined the Celtics, and took on a different role. The article referenced as #1 clearly shows this. Furthermore, his better scoring numbers occurred with very similar field goal percentages. Some years, Duncan was better than KG, and some years, KG was better than Duncan. Surprisingly, Duncan's field goal percentage was higher in 2004, KG's MVP year. 

Also, before KG joined the Celics, more of his scoring came from post play. His style, however, was more like Olajuwon's than Duncan's, but it really does not matter. If KG scored more points, with approximately the same field goal percentage why should it?

YearTeamKGDuncan
    97-98Wolves.491.549
    98-99Wolves.460.495
    99-00Wolves.497.490
    00-01Wolves.477.499
    01-02Wolves.470.508
    02-03Wolves.502.513
    03-04Wolves.499.501
    04-05Wolves.502.496
    05-06Wolves.526.484
    06-07Wolves.476.546
    07-08Celtics.539.497
    08-09Celtics.531.504
    09-10Celtics.521.518
    10-11Celtics.539.496

data from basketballreference.com

Career field Goal percentage is -
    KG         0.498
    Duncan  0.508

KG rebounding, assists, and defense exceeds Duncan's output.

Now that both players are on great teams, it is the Celtics 1 and the Spurs zero.

P34- It is time for you to leave Junior High.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers? : These two may seem to favor KG over Duncan. However, if you put it in another way you will see these statistics are in Duncan's favor: KG has 11 starts and 13 apperances as an all-star over 15 seasons Duncan has 11 starts and 12 apperances as an all-star over 13 seasons Although, to be fair, it seems KG will be a starter this season and Duncan will be voted in by the coaches.  Next year, if KG is healthy, the same will likely happen.

You got caught manipulating the facts there, Jump. Don't tell me bilalkazmi is P34 also.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Bill Russell seems to prefer Duncan as a player. I'll side with Bill Russells opinion on who has the better game. Hard to say it, but being honest, I think the Spurs have an excellent chance of winning another championship this season.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

This is 1 vote for Duncan, Jump.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]I also find it hard to believe that KG and the Wolves only got past the 1st round only once, in 2004. The Wolves were not exactly a lottery team when KG was there. In the 12 seasons that KG spent with the Wolves they made the playoffs 8 straight times and had 4 seasons of 50 or more wins. IMO KG is more like Pau Gasol. Pau also never made it past the 1st round of the playoffs when he was a Grizz. If we were to compare Pau and KG since Gasol came to the Lakers it's pretty obvious that Pau Gasol is way better than KG. You might not agree but like your KG has 1 ring and Timmy zero, since KG came to the Celtics, argument the fact that Gasol is 2-1 against KG in the Finals it automatically makes Gasol the better player. Not to mention how KG got embarrassed by Pau in Game 7 of last season's Finals. Honestly, this thread is similar to a dog chasing it's own tail, just going round and round. We will never know how KG would have performed if he didn't play for the Timberwolves.

2 votes for Duncan, Jump.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]My gut tells me to always go with the post-up player. Duncan has always been a superior post up player with a good mid range jumper...and I love watching his bank shots, something thats gone in the NBA. Duncan also has a great temperment on the court. Not a hot dog and a real team player.  He's got titles but I dont think his teams ever beat great teams to win championships. KG has more range but doesnt have the inside presence. KGs career has been mainly jump shots, aggressiveness and defense. KG also the ultimate team player. Looking at the careers of both.. Id have to give edge to Duncan...maybe thats cause all I ever hear on TV is DUncan is greatest PF in NBA history.. dont discount how much that may play into your thinking, myself included. but also those titles he has.. Duncan won those champioships as the MAIN MAN on the Spurs.. that goes a long way
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

3 votes for Duncan, Jump.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Duncan is a much better offensive player.  Duncan in is prime would dominate in the post.  KG was never a good post player.  KG has always been more of a mid-range player. KG is a much better defensive player. It would be hard to say who would have been better in their prime.  Some would argue Duncan because he had the post moves.  Others would say KG because at the end of the day defense wins games. I would say, it would depend on the make-up of the rest of the team.  I like them both, but if I had a choice between the two I would prefer Duncan.

4 votes for Duncan, Jump.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]'Sota would have been better with Timmy b/c he would have signed for a little less cash, allowing them to bring in some helpful talent, and overall he was just a little more stable, little bit better than KG in the late 90's early 00's. I think KG's '04 MVP year was better than any season Timmy did. What KG did here in '08 I don't think Duncan would have done either at that point in his career with 4 titles already... so I'm glad we got KG. KG would have fit better next to David Robinson than Duncan did... and SA would have at least won the 1st 2 titles, and probably the last 2 as well, if they got a real Center... not some Fabby Oberto type... to play w/ KG.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

5 votes for Duncan, Jump.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

At least 5 people here chose Duncan over KG.

Don't tell me everybody is wrong and you're the only person who's right.

HAHAHA!!! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

FIND ME A LEGITIMATE ARTICLE THAT HAS KG AS THE BEST PF IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA AND YOU'LL NEVER SEE ME POST ON THIS THREAD EVER AGAIN.

HAHAHA!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for the input guys. Here are some points to ponder. This is a thread about how things might have been different if the two best "power forwards" of their generation had been placed in opposite circumstances. While it is impossible to come to a definitive conclusion, there is evidence for more than one point of view. Yes, Duncan was the MVP of all of the Spurs finals except one. Parker was also a finals MVP. Certainly comparing finals MVP's makes little sense in this comparision because this is a "what if" their team situation had been reversed thread. KG was never in a finals except after he left the Wolves, and in 2008 the finals MVP could have easily gone to Allen or KG instead of Pierce.Yes, we all know that the Spurs went to the finals and won four times, and Duncan has four rings, and three finals MVP's Duncan's offensive game was better than KG's? The  evidence shows that that is not necessarily true. KG's numbers were better than Duncan's before he joined the Celtics, and took on a different role. The article referenced as #1 clearly shows this. Furthermore, his better scoring numbers occurred with very similar field goal percentages. Some years, Duncan was better than KG, and some years, KG was better than Duncan. Surprisingly, Duncan's field goal percentage was higher in 2004, KG's MVP year.  Also, before KG joined the Celics, more of his scoring came from post play. His style, however, was more like Olajuwon's than Duncan's, but it really does not matter. If KG scored more points, with approximately the same field goal percentage why should it? Year Team KG Duncan 97-98 Wolves .491 .549 98-99 Wolves .460 .495 99-00 Wolves .497 .490 00-01 Wolves .477 .499 01-02 Wolves .470 .508 02-03 Wolves .502 .513 03-04 Wolves .499 .501 04-05 Wolves .502 .496 05-06 Wolves .526 .484 06-07 Wolves .476 .546 07-08 Celtics .539 .497 08-09 Celtics .531 .504 09-10 Celtics .521 .518 10-11 Celtics .539 .496 data from basketballreference.com Career field Goal percentage is - KG         0.498 Duncan  0.508 KG rebounding, assists, and defense exceeds Duncan's output. Now that both players are on great teams, it is the Celtics 1 and the Spurs zero. P34- It is time for you to leave Junior High.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

Where will you present your evidence? Just to let you know THE NBA HAS NO KANGAROO COURT.

HAHAHA!!!