KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Re: KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers?

Just to get my 2 cents in. As great of a player K.G has been and still is, I'd give the nod to Duncan. I've always viewed Duncan as a center and I'd put him in the top 10 centers of all time. He doesn't make the top 5 though. IMO he's on par with Hakeem Olajuwon. 
        Many people say he's a power forward. Maybe he's both.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Re: KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers?

Like mentioned before, comparing KG and Duncan is not easy, cause they are so different. Also, I think the stats cannot be compared only by the league average cause Duncan was 22 and KG a Kid as a rookie. 

However, as a GM in the 90th I would go with that:

In Response to Re: KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers?:
    [QUOTE] I would say, it would depend on the make-up of the rest of the team.  I like them both, but if I had a choice between the two I would prefer Duncan.
    Posted by bilalkazmi[/QUOTE]
    It is easier to built around a dominant post player!
    Garnett is more an oversized Small Forward. Therefore I would built from the white paper around Duncan.
    BUT if you already have a dominant center (e.g. Shaq), than I would prefer the mid range shooting, perimeter and help defense of Garnett.

In Response to Re: KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers?:
    [QUOTE]I've always viewed Duncan as a center and I'd put him in the top 10 centers of all time. He doesn't make the top 5 though. IMO he's on par with Hakeem Olajuwon. Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]
    You put Hakeem not in the Top 5?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]Like mentioned before, comparing KG and Duncan is not easy, cause they are so different. Also, I think the stats cannot be compared only by the league average cause Duncan was 22 and KG a Kid as a rookie.  However, as a GM in the 90th I would go with that: In Response to Re: KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers? : It is easier to built around a dominant post player! Garnett is more an oversized Small Forward. Therefore I would built from the white paper around Duncan. BUT if you already have a dominant center (e.g. Shaq), than I would prefer the mid range shooting, perimeter and help defense of Garnett. In Response to Re: KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers? : You put Hakeem not in the Top 5?
    Posted by Gasthoerer[/QUOTE]
         I put Hakeem in the top 10 centers of all time, but not the top 5. Top include Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq and uh, uh, I think you have a point after thinking about this for a few minutes. He may be number 5.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Well,

As always P34, always in JR. High. The evidence and references are all in the first post.

When you graduate, and move to a high school level in your posts, you will find that repeating your self for emphasis, taking things out of context, and making unrelated points that are "stupid", don't really work.

Do you also make several posts in an attempt to have viewers only read your posts?  I guess some people only read the last post. Wow, that means you are in ninth grade at least .

Have fun at the sock hop.

Hakeem is a Center

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Gasthorer,

Their field goal percentages have been almost identical as shown above. While KG played more low post in his peak years, it is interesting that KG's field goal percentage has been higher than Duncan's since joining the Celtics when KG has spent more time jump shooting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Mem 17,

I agree with your statement about Duncan being more of a center. Since David Robinson retired, he has played more Center than Power Forward. I also agree that he likes to be known as a power forward instead of a Center. As you say, as a power forward most rank him as the best ever, however, as a Center, I guess he is just one of many.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Bilalkazme,

That is an interesting point.

My hope was not to show that KG was better than Duncan, though he clearly has some advantages in some areas, it was to show that if circumstances had been different, then it is likely that KG would be considered on Duncan's level or maybe higher. Clearly both were highly regarded in the western conference as both were voted All Star game starters eleven times.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Well, As always P34, always in JR. High. The evidence and references are all in the first post. When you graduate, and move to a high school level in your posts, you will find that repeating your self for emphasis, taking things out of context, and making unrelated points that are "stupid", don't really work. Do you also make several posts in an attempt to have viewers only read your posts?  I guess some people only read the last post. Wow, that means you are in ninth grade at least . Have fun at the sock hop. Hakeem is a Center
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

If I'm in 9th grade then you must be in 7th grade!

Is it not clear to you that there are already at least 7 people here that said that they would pick Duncan over KG or Duncan has the edge over KG?

CLEARLY YOU ARE DELUSIONAL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Gasthorer, Their field goal percentages have been almost identical as shown above. While KG played more low post in his peak years, it is interesting that KG's field goal percentage has been higher than Duncan's since joining the Celtics when KG has spent more time jump shooting.

YOU SAID STATS ONLY TELL HALF THE TRUTH. Well, KG going 8-13 in Game 7 of the 2010 Finals didn't result in a Celtics victory. 

DUNCAN NEVER LOST IN THE FINALS EVER!

FROM 2000 TO 2010 ONLY TIM DUNCAN IS UNDEFEATED IN THE FINALS. Shaq lost in 2004, Billups lost in 2005, Kobe lost in 2004 and 2008, and Jason Kidd lost in 2002 and 2003.

IT'S CALLED GETTING IT DONE!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Mem 17, I agree with your statement about Duncan being more of a center. Since David Robinson retired, he has played more Center than Power Forward. I also agree that he likes to be known as a power forward instead of a Center. As you say, as a power forward most rank him as the best ever, however, as a Center, I guess he is just one of many.

YOU'RE CONTRADICTING YOURSELF, MORON!

YOU SAID IT YOURSELF, MOST RANK DUNCAN AS BEST PF EVER. THAT MEANS DUNCAN HAS THE EDGE OVER KG, RIGHT?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Bilalkazme, That is an interesting point. My hope was not to show that KG was better than Duncan, though he clearly has some advantages in some areas, it was to show that if circumstances had been different, then it is likely that KG would be considered on Duncan's level or maybe higher. Clearly both were highly regarded in the western conference as both were voted All Star game starters eleven times.

WHAT IF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WAS IN EUROPE?
    WHAT IF THE SUN WON'T SHINE AGAIN?
    WHAT IF THE DINOSAURS DIDN'T GET EXTINCT?

ALL THE WHAT IFS IN THE WORLD WON'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES WILL NEVER BE DIFFERENT!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Ha,Ha

Junior High - same old same old.

I don't contradict myself. You would know that if you read my posts, instead of making stuff up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Junior High - most appeals to authority require more than popularity.

Next year in high school it will become clear.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Ha,Ha Junior High - same old same old. I don't contradict myself. You would know that if you read my posts, instead of making stuff up.

So tell me, who's the best PF in the history of the NBA? In your opinion, of course.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Junior High - most appeals to authority require more than popularity. Next year in high school it will become clear.

We're arguing about KG and Duncan, but you're talking about High School. What gives? Ran out of arguments? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

No Junior High.

My hypothesis, arguments, conclusions and references are presented in the first post.

I am responding to your approach, and your tactics, which include misrepresentation, shooting from the hip, repetition of statement that have little or nothing to do with the tread, and filling up each page so that only your stuff is read.

Responding to almost any of your posts, requires movement in a new direction not directly associated with the original hypothesis, or supporting data.

Your motive is not argument, or discussion but something else. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]No Junior High. My hypothesis, arguments, conclusions and references are presented in the first post. I am responding to your approach, and your tactics, which include misrepresentation, shooting from the hip, repetition of statement that have little or nothing to do with the tread, and filling up each page so that only your stuff is read. Responding to almost any of your posts, requires movement in a new direction not directly associated with the original hypothesis, or supporting data. Your motive is not argument, or discussion but something else. 

Saying "if the circumstances had been different" is a flawed argument. Well, they are not different and will never be different. There's no way of knowing what would have happened. 

There's evidence to show? Yeah, sure. But like said the NBA does not have a Kangaroo court for you to present your evidence.

HAHAHA!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Let me add by saying that the history books will only state the facts and will not include a speculation like "if the circumstances had been different".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Junior high-

When you get to high school you will learn that " if circumstances were different", is not an argument, but part of a hypothesis.

And if someone lets you into college, you may take, logic, or write a research paper, or learn the scientific method, or maybe just learn civil behavior.

... and "Yeah sure" won't get a D grade.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Junior high- When you get to high school you will learn that " if circumstances were different", is not an argument, but part of a hypothesis. And if someone lets you into college, you may take, logic, or write a research paper, or learn the scientific method, or maybe just learn civil behavior. ... and "Yeah sure" won't get a D grade.

Civil behavior? You have a 12-year old grandson but you're also acting like a 12-year old. Saying that "if the circumstances were different" is not an argument is you contradicting yourself. Your only argument left is "if the circumstances were different".

A hypothesis is not a fact, it's an assumption. The history books only show facts, they don't include assumptions. Again, if you're expecting the results of the history books to change just because of your hypothesis then you are WRONG! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers? : So tell me, who's the best PF in the history of the NBA? In your opinion, of course.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

i think karl "the mailman" malone is right up there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: KG vs Duncan - How would they compare if both had been on great teams for thier entire careers? : i think karl "the mailman" malone is right up there.
    Posted by jdm894g[/QUOTE]

I agree. Karl Malone is either 2nd or 3rd best in NBA history. 

But if the Celtics win Banner #18 this season, KG will be my 2nd best PF in NBA history. Karl Malone has no rings in 3 tries, 1997, 1998, and 2004. It's hard to put him on top of KG when he's 0-3 in the Finals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I think it's faitly obvious that Duncan has had a better career than KG. Both are outstanding players. I think KG brings a little more D but Duncan is a far superior low post player. Both are outstanding. Someone mentioned that Hakeem is in the top ten centers of all time. I would just point out that at the peak of his career he was about as dominant a force as the NBA has ever seen on both offense and defense. I might consider putting him in the top 3 to 5 of all time. From a pure talent standpoint he was much more amazing than Shaq. What if Hakeem had played on great teams his whole career???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCelticsKing. Show TheCelticsKing's posts

Are you an Idiot. dont ever ever ever,say pau gasol is better than KG,u cluck,not in his career and not even this season,09 season nd last season at best

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCelticsKing. Show TheCelticsKing's posts

Are you an Idiot. dont ever ever ever,say pau gasol is better than KG,u cluck,not in his career and not even this season,09 season nd last season at best

[QUOTE]I also find it hard to believe that KG and the Wolves only got past the 1st round only once, in 2004. The Wolves were not exactly a lottery team when KG was there. In the 12 seasons that KG spent with the Wolves they made the playoffs 8 straight times and had 4 seasons of 50 or more wins. IMO KG is more like Pau Gasol. Pau also never made it past the 1st round of the playoffs when he was a Grizz. If we were to compare Pau and KG since Gasol came to the Lakers it's pretty obvious that Pau Gasol is way better than KG. You might not agree but like your KG has 1 ring and Timmy zero, since KG came to the Celtics, argument the fact that Gasol is 2-1 against KG in the Finals it automatically makes Gasol the better player. Not to mention how KG got embarrassed by Pau in Game 7 of last season's Finals. Honestly, this thread is similar to a dog chasing it's own tail, just going round and round. We will never know how KG would have performed if he didn't play for the Timberwolves.
    Posted by LightSaber[/QUOTE]