Larry Bird- Best GM in the Eastern Conference?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from birdmantd. Show birdmantd's posts

Larry Bird- Best GM in the Eastern Conference?

Admittedly I'm partial like a lot of 80's C's fan but I think you can make a strong case given what's he done over the past few years.  He's finally shed the weight of some bad contracts and put together a very competitive team for about $20-30 million less than the East powerhouses.  He doesn't have a superstar (don't think Granger or West will ever quite be on that level) but he's created a good nucleus of solid young talent with a nice of mix of athleticism and effort guys like Hansborough.  He hasn't overpayed in free agency like so many other teams do which isn't surprising since he's a notoriously frugal person.  I wish more GM's would adopt his sensible approach. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Larry Bird- Best GM in the Eastern Conference?

Larry's done a good job of turning things around since he was told by ownership to get rid of the entire crew of knuckleheads (Artest and Steven Jackson fighting).  He got rid of ALL of them and rebuilt.  He did a nice job with draft picks and free agents.

Best in the East is a little strong.  Afterall, this is the guy that signed James Posey to a 4 year deal to outbid us, only to have Danny proved right (that his 3rd and 4th years he was completely done).  He did overpay for Posey.  He's done no better than Danny, the Hawks, Orlando, and certainly not better than Miami.

Overall, however, Larry Legend has done a very nice job.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I'm sorry.  You're right.  it was Bird who traded for that contract.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird- Best GM in the Eastern Conference?:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry.  You're right.  it was Bird who traded for that contract.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Yes but he got Collison with Posey and jettisoned Troy Murphy at the same time. After amnestying Posey you could say he traded Murphy for Collison ... High Fives all around for Bird!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Again, congrats to Bird.  Truly good moves.  Not a championship team, however.  That makes him good, but not great.  I give the props to Danny and to Riley as the best GMs in the East because one of them made moves to win a championship (Danny) and the other is is the best position to win a championship now (Riley).   Of course, NY, Orlando, and Atlanta haven't done bad, either.

So, I like the job Bird has done, but he cannot get Best GM by the standard of who's built the best teams.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrax. Show mtrax's posts

Bird has done a great job building the Pacers. I think they are the 4th best team in the east behind Miami, Chicago and Boston. They have 8 players that could be starters in the NBA.