Larry Brown is/was an overrated coach.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Larry Brown is/was an overrated coach.

There I said it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

Re: Larry Brown is/was an overrated coach.

Glad you did because I always felt he was one of the most overated figures in all of sports.  Never really understood how this guy could be so well regarded. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I guess I'll just have to say I disagree with you.  Maybe he's more disconnected with the modern player than some younger coaches, but I don't see how you could possibly doubt the guy's ability through his career.  If nothing else, look at the team he had when kansas won.  Danny Manning and a near-nba-quality point guard and some other guys.  Detroit wasn't exactly more talented than the lakers.

Yeah, I'll just be the first to disagree.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I have to disagree, as well.  When I look at what he did with UCLA to the finals with a rag tag team, his success at kansas, his taking Detroit to a championship and building the entire defensive philosophy of the team, and not to mention what he did with the Iverson led Sixers making it to the finals having only 1 future hall of famer and having brilliant defense, I think he's a great coach.  He does destroy team chemistry since he pushes so darned hard and is so hard on players......but he gets more out of a weak team than anyone I can think of.

Over that career with that many successes, I don't know how you can doubt his skills.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Could not disagree more.  Very few coaches can be successful in both the college and pro ranks.  Larry has done both.  He has NO talent this year in CHA, and I don't think he could handle it. A great basketball mind, he could have every record for winning if he stayed in the pros long enough.  I have always said if you switch Phil Jackson and Larry Brown, Larry's new teams still win, while Phils don't make the playoffs!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

He's a great coach. The same kind of coach as Doug Collins, Hubie Brown, Don Nelson, Bill Fitch...

Old School, brilliant mind, needed the right group of players for success, abrasive attitude and control freak mentality wore out the welcome after a few seasons (and to no fault of their own when an organization didn't provide him with 'his' type guys or decided to rebuild).

And finally these guys all began to slip after age 65... like most coaches/humans do... that is the age people retire at... I don't expect my 67 year old father to go out and coach 82 games with all that strategy and quick thinking, relate to 20-25 year old kids and be able to scream himself hoarse while traveling all over the country

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Great point Hedely

Larry is one of a DOZEN coaches who would have won Phil's 10 titles with the same teams

Phil would not have had the same success with a bunch of Larry's teams... the mid 90's Pacers and AI Sixers sure, but not Kansas, the Clippers and the defense 1st '04 Pistons where his UNC pedigree reigned in sheed

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

31 year NBA coach.  1 championship.  Career winning percentage .511
    He also has a long history of leaving jobs midcontract and lobbying for other NBA coaching vacancies while under contract.  You could argue he is a good coach and I would be inclined to agree with you.  Based on his long service to the sport he belongs in the HOF.  But he is overrated and I wouldn't want him anywhere near my organization.  Oh-and his interviews are boring and monotone.

Incidentally I think almost all coaches are overrated.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I think both sides are right on this one.  He was a great coach but during this last stop and the one before with the Knicks he became a grossly overrated coach. Time for him to do some commentary on tv, which I believe he would be great at and then call it a career.

10. This post has been removed.