Magic picks his all time 5 on PTI

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Magic picks his all time 5 on PTI

I agree about Oscar... he was unstoppable... had that weird shot off that one hand.

It was always Oscar & Jerry West standing on top of the heap when it came to all time guards.. now Magic, MJ & Isiah are in the mix... some insist Kobe too..

My two favorites to watch were Tiny and Pistol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Almost forgot.... the brief career of Ernie D... talking about fun to watch

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In response to Skins and Heart's comment:

Pick a team of 8. Pick anyone on this team but leave off Russell.

Build an opposing team with Russell and I'd bet the house on the Russell led team winning a 7 game series. When you think it's Russell with the next best 7.

For example.

Stockton
    Dumars
    Pippen
    Garnett
    Russell
    Karl Malone
    Grant Hill
    Olajuwon

Against ....

Magic
    Jordan
    Bird
    Duncan
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Lebron James
    Oscar Robertson

Looking to have not only the best players IMO but the best balanced teams. Hence Grant Hill in the Russell team. I'd love to have Michael Cooper in the Russell team but in all honesty I couldn't have him there. 

Fun excercise; I'll try it with just Celtics players I have been lucky enough to see at the Garden or on the road since the 70s

Based on playing in their prime:

Russell (Red's friend and the best)/Cowens (heart of a lion)

McHale (shut down defender like KG but way better post game)/KG

Havilcek (he of 8 NBA titles)/Pierce

JoJo (clutch and smooth)/Ray (a traitor but also a great shooter)

Tiny/DJ (tossup, they are both so great, but Tiny had some Oscar-like seasons, DJ best defender and could guard Majic)

This team could take a combination from the all-time greats in a seven game series (although I would be weary playing against Bird and Majic on the same team).

By the way, any all time best list in addition to the Celtics names above has to include Jerry West.

Two Wikipedia entries on Hondo and West:

• In 1974, Bill Russell summed up Havlicek's career by saying "He is the best all-around player I ever saw."
    • In Game 7 of the 1969 Finals, Lakers owner Jack Kent Cooke had put up thousands of balloons in the rafters of the Forum in Los Angeles. This display of arrogance motivated the Celtics and angered West. The Lakers trailed the entire game and were behind 91-76 after 3 quarters, but powered by a limping West, the Lakers closed the gap to 103-102 with two minutes to go and had the ball. But West committed costly turnovers and L.A. lost the game 108–106 despite a triple-double 42 points, 13 rebounds and 12 assists from West, who became the only winner of the Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award from the losing team.After the loss, West was seen as the ultimate tragic hero: after the game, Bill Russell held his hand, and John Havlicek said: "I love you, Jerry".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

When a player averages a triple double for  a season you have to be the best starting 5 ever conversation. Oscar Robertson was one of if not the best at his position of all time , actually he is the bbest 2 guard of all time.

Even though he is a despicable human being Isiah Thomas is definately a top 2-3 pg of all time. Isiah dominated the game like no small man has before or since. I was at abunch of games when Cousy played but I was 3-4 yrs old, so I don't count that. In my eyes it's either Isiah or Magic, I don't care Stockton had 100,000,000 assists.  Karl Malone made a great point on an interview this week when he stated that it makes more sense to pick an all time greatest bench too,kind of what Skins and Heart eluded to earlier.

My family is a basketball family and these kind of discussions happen frequently at BBqs,Holiday dinners etc. We break it down all kinds of ways; best or 10 pgs or SGs. Top starting 5s are cool but when you start talking top 10 of all time at a position most of the fun is remembering players that people don't always think of.

Of course you are right.  Oscar has to be in the discussion.  I loved Oscar.  but, as much as I hate the Lakers, Magic is so incredibly great at playing multiple positions and making his teammates better that I chose Magic.   But, on a scale of 1 to 100, Magic is a 99 and Oscar is a 98, IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Interesting he didnt pick himself"

Just a note for those speculating: Tony/Mike specifically asked Magic *not* to pick himself before he started, making it easy for Magic to stay humble. It would have been interesting to see what he would have said otherwise.

It was cool hearing him give extensive props to McHale both offensively and defensively. I think that's fair. Though if Duncan wins another ring at this late stage in his career I think he settles that one for good. 

I don't think there's really a debate at the point guard position, it's Magic. 

Center is a tough one and I think you can make arguments for Russel, Kareem and Wilt, though I'd give the edge to Russel. Tony/Mike referred to Russel as a power forward the other day which I think is mistaken, he wasn't as big but he played classic center. 

Interestingly, when you remove Magic from the debate the point guard dscussion gets more interesting... I can understand Isaih and pound for pound he was probably the best of his era but I might go Oscar Robertson there. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE

Excellent points...the thing with Russell is that he played against Wilt Chamberlain (7-1++ 275 lbs) and Wilt called him his toughest opponent...Russ played against Nate Thurmond, Walt Bellamy, Willis Reed.....those four centers are better than anyone currently playing in the NBA....so why is anyone saying Russ would be a power forward today...?  ...also, if he did play today he would have the advantage that today's players have (and I don't mean juicing)....he would have the weight room, the dietary programs and the personal trainers...Russ played around 220-225 the second half of his career....today he would probably play at 240 or 245....he would still be an all pro center in today's NBA....if he could cover Wilt he could do the same against Howard, Bynum, Gasol, etc...ask yourself this question...are those players HOF caliber guys...? I certainly don't think so...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

Magic

Jordan

Bird

Duncan

Russell

He almost got it right.  

Bingo.  +2

Nobody beats that team.  Solid defense. Amazing competitive chemistry. average height is almost 6'9". offense from every inch of the floor.   

I would just add, the best player in the world, LeBron as 6th man...

Good list. My best 5 would be :

Chamberlain - C

Russ - PF

James - SF

Magic - PG

Jordan - SG

Nobody beats this starting five. Top notch competitiveness, athleticism and competitiveness. The only weakness I could see on this team is outside shooting. But perhaps great passing and an awesome fast break would overcome a lack of outside shooting. And how could an opposing team double team Chamberlain, James and Jordan ? To me, Russ was the best player of all time. He is very under-rated by todays pundits and with his athleticism would still be a force today. Because of ESPN, offense and acrobatic dunks are over-valued. Nowadays, everyone says Jordan is the best ever. I would put Russ #1, Magic #2 and Jordan # 3 all time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to Skins and Heart's comment:

Pick a team of 8. Pick anyone on this team but leave off Russell.

Build an opposing team with Russell and I'd bet the house on the Russell led team winning a 7 game series. When you think it's Russell with the next best 7.

For example.

Stockton
    Dumars
    Pippen
    Garnett
    Russell
    Karl Malone
    Grant Hill
    Olajuwon

Against ....

Magic
    Jordan
    Bird
    Duncan
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Lebron James
    Oscar Robertson

Looking to have not only the best players IMO but the best balanced teams. Hence Grant Hill in the Russell team. I'd love to have Michael Cooper in the Russell team but in all honesty I couldn't have him there. 

Out with Grant Hill & Joe Dumars....

In with Kobe Bryant & Reggie Miller or Kevin Durant.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Nobody beats this starting five."

Yeah if you move Rursel to the 4 you can take Wilt at the 5...but I see Duncan/McHale as more natural power forwards than Russel. Both of them had more offensively than Russel in terms of the jump shooting you need for power forward. I think you keep Russell at center (whether you choose him or nor - I tend to choose him). 

Lebron James over Larry Bird is an interesting one. 

I do think there is a chance this will be the case for most by the end of James' career, but I still think he has things to prove. For now I go with Bird. I take Russell at center and go big at power forward with Duncan for a good offense/defense combo. 

Lebron is probably first off the bench mostly because of his versatility, in theory could play all five positions...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

Celtic mystique? One title in 30 years. More like Celtic mistake.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE

yes, I am talking about the "Celtic Mystique"....you know...as in 17-4 and 9-3.....those numbers speak for themselves...!

Look at the Yankees.....from 1963 through 1995 they only won two world series in 32 years...but they were still the Yankees......the great Laker franchise also experienced a long drought as they only won one title in a 25 year period (1955 through 1979)

I guess greatness in the eyes of some fans only comes from their own history of watching the games... 

The last time I looked the Celtics still had the most titles in league history....the Lakers have gotten the best of every other team in the league...but, head to head, they are historically the runner up when it comes to playing the Boston Celtics...that includes both the regular season and the playoffs....you can look it up...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE

interesting....give them facts and they seem to disappear....go figure..!