Marcus Smart: PG or SG?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Marcus Smart: PG or SG?

IF the C's wind up drafting him + IF the C's end up trading Rondo..... would Smart play PG or SG?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

Re: Marcus Smart: PG or SG?

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:
    [QUOTE]

IF the C's wind up drafting him + IF the C's end up trading Rondo..... would Smart play PG or SG?

[/QUOTE]

i'll take dante exum over him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

If the Cs wind up with Smart, I'll be a sad panda. I like Smart. He's an idiot for passing up last summer's draft. He's not a cornerstone player, however.

Based on where the Cs wind up, I'd rather have Joel Imbiid (if he declares) or Perry Ellis.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Smart can play both and will be an impact player in the NBA at either position.  He is strong and athletic, a lot like Dwayne Wade.  He has good size, passes and rebounds well.  His shot has improved.  Most important, he has impeccable character and is a strong team leader and NBA ready day 1.  We would be lucky to have him on the Celtics.

He looked amazing tonight. 30 points against Memphis.

Best 4 players in the draft (so far) order of priority: 1. Jabari;  2. Randle;  3. Smart;  4. Wiggins  

I haven't seen Exum play against elite college competition, so can't evaluate.  Embiid is a project. Prob picked around 10 IMO.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

I like Smart alot and think he'd fit in quite nicely with the C's.  He's a combo guard, so he could play either position.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjcaesar. Show kjcaesar's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

[QUOTE]

I like Smart alot and think he'd fit in quite nicely with the C's.  He's a combo guard, so he could play either position.

Right now he's playing PG.

I think he's going to be a PG in the NBA.

Only way Ainge drafts Smart is if he trades Rondo.

[/QUOTE]

I agree and like we talked about in other thread, hope Celics end up with 2 overall and pick Parker. My dream senario for this season. I hope it comes true : )

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Smart can play both and will be an impact player in the NBA at either position.  He is strong and athletic, a lot like Dwayne Wade.  He has good size, passes and rebounds well.  His shot has improved.  Most important, he has impeccable character and is a strong team leader and NBA ready day 1.  We would be lucky to have him on the Celtics.

He looked amazing tonight. 30 points against Memphis.

Best 4 players in the draft (so far) order of priority: 1. Jabari;  2. Randle;  3. Smart;  4. Wiggins  

I haven't seen Exum play against elite college competition, so can't evaluate.  Embiid is a project. Prob picked around 10 IMO.  

[/QUOTE]
    Dominant performance. Defensively as well. 39 points, may as well call it a 40 point night for the young man.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Ok well, not sure how many people here watched the whole OSU game (not just the highlights),  but Smart simply doesn't pass.  Last night he looked like a kid on a playground.  He dribbles over half-court and immediately jacks up a 3 from four feet behind the stripe.  As good as he was, I didn't see any PG qualities.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

I don't know even Wiggins was advertised as a franchise player I still dreamed of Jabari as the Celtics pick together with Dakiri Johnson for our second pick although I prefer Joel Embiid but I think our second pick is too far to get him...Smart reminds me of Evan Turner of Philadelpia....a good pick for Celtics in case...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Embiid too.

Embiid can be like Roy Hibbert.

[/QUOTE]

Agree

However I think Hibbert is taller and more polished than Embiid and both are very much capable as an NBA player.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

The amount of people discounting Andrew Wiggins is alarming. You guys act like the Celtics are Jabari Parker away from being a title contender. News flash: they're not (as the game against the Rockets last night showed). I would be perfectly okay with drafting Wiggins and letting him grow into his game a little bit. It's not like he's a bad player (54 FG%, 33% from 3 - I expect the 3 point % to go up - averaging 17 & 6). Yes Jabari is more polished right now, but that could definitely change later. I would take a couple of shots if the Celtics ended up with Andrew Wiggins. Actually, I might get blackout. Why not?

Look at the Indiana Pacers, the most complete team in the NBA right now. Paul George wasn't great his first two years in the league. Last year he really improved a ton and now is one of the best, if not the best, two-way player in the NBA. Ditto for Lance Stephenson and Roy Hibbert (Roy has been good for a couple of years, but transformed into the best center in the league late last year IMO). It takes time.

Now, back to the actual discussion. Marcus Smart is one hell of a player. If last night was the first you've ever seen him play then I feel sorry for you. I think he's a top-5 lock, with James Harden being his best comp (if Marcus can keep that 3-point shooting number up). But Smart can also play menacing defense. I'd feel comfortable playing him at PG, but not on a permanant basis. He's more of a 2-guard IMO, but with a good feel for the game. In contrast, Wayne Selden has much better court vision.

End rant....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Last night Smart didn't pass because memphis never stopped him with the ball. I saw a lot of him last year when he passed more and scored less.

It seems his scoring ability has much improved, and he stated that was what he went back to college to work on and improve.

He'll play point in the nba. Point guards are hard to come by...if you can play point you probably will.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Also, guys, do me a favor. Stop overreacting to small sample sizes, okay? Thanks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last night Smart didn't pass because memphis never stopped him with the ball. I saw a lot of him last year when he passed more and scored less.

It seems his scoring ability has much improved, and he stated that was what he went back to college to work on and improve.

He'll play point in the nba. Point guards are hard to come by...if you can play point you probably will.

[/QUOTE]

1+  Agree entirely with your assessment.  In his first four games (including preseason) Smart played pass first, averaging 10 shots per game and about 14 PPG.   Last night, on national TV, he was encouraged to showcase his scoring ability, just as Randle, Parker and Wiggins did.  What else would you expect?  And he didn't dissapoint, showing a wide range of offensive weapons:   11 of 21 shots (>50%) for 39 points in 33 minutes.  

Comparatively, I can't imagine how you feel about Bradley last night:  5 of 22 shots (<23%) for 11 points in 27 minutes!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to cole-ely's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1+  Agree entirely with your assessment.  In his first four games (including preseason) Smart played pass first, averaging 10 shots per game and about 14 PPG.   Last night, on national TV, he was encouraged to showcase his scoring ability, just as Randle, Parker and Wiggins did.  What else would you expect?  And he didn't dissapoint, showing a wide range of offensive weapons:   11 of 21 shots (>50%) for 39 points in 33 minutes.  

Comparatively, I can't imagine how you feel about Bradley last night:  5 of 22 shots (<23%) for 11 points in 27 minutes!!!

[/QUOTE]
    Both assesments on Smart are spot on, as mentioned exhaustively on last night's broadcast Smart's one skill critcized by scouts is his shooting so he decided to have one of the most dominating performances so far in the NCAA.

And Bradley was ON FIRE last night for sure!