Maxwell: Doc, Garnett, Pierce won't be back!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Maxwell: Doc, Garnett, Pierce won't be back!

Maxwell: Doc, Garnett, Pierce won't be back   May 5, 2013, 11:00 pm   SHARE THIS POST   Cheer   0   Boo   2     Email            

The futures of Doc RiversKevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce are uncertain right now, but former Celtics great Cedric Maxwell thinks they aren't coming back.

Maxwell sat down with CSNNE's Mike Felger on Sports Sunday to discuss the future of the Celtics.

"My hope is that all three of these guys are coming back but my true belief and my knowledge I think that they won't be back," Maxwell said. "I think Doc will take a leave of absence, he will go on. I think Paul Pierce, the team has an option right now on his contract at $16 million they can pay him $5 [million]. I think the financial part is going to [come] in. And as Kevin Garnett said, if Paul doesn't come back, I think Kevin weighs his options and says he wants to go someplace else."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Maxwell: Doc, Garnett, Pierce won't be back!

The rest of the article:

If that happens, do the Celtics blow it up completely? Felger says the team can still possibly make the playoffs without Garnett and Pierce, but if they want to rebuild, being mediocre isn't going to do it. That means possibly trading other stars like Rajon Rondo and trying to build through the draft.

But if Maxwell is right, Rivers won't be there to coach the incoming players.

"I think that he just wants to have a rest," Maxwell said. "I think that you look at a guy who's been here as long as he has. Been through the wars. Probably been one of the best coaches around. I just think that he'll want to take a breather."

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Ainge really has no choice but to waive PP. If all 3 are gone, Ainge could make just a few moves to keep the team in contention but if he screws them up, it could be a long 3-5 years.

Hiring a good head coach will be the key.
    Signing a big FA will be another key.
    What to do with Rondo will be the last key.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

Maxwell: Doc, Garnett, Pierce won't be back   May 5, 2013, 11:00 pm   SHARE THIS POST   Cheer   0   Boo   2     Email            

The futures of Doc RiversKevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce are uncertain right now, but former Celtics great Cedric Maxwell thinks they aren't coming back.

Maxwell sat down with CSNNE's Mike Felger on Sports Sunday to discuss the future of the Celtics.

"My hope is that all three of these guys are coming back but my true belief and my knowledge I think that they won't be back," Maxwell said. "I think Doc will take a leave of absence, he will go on. I think Paul Pierce, the team has an option right now on his contract at $16 million they can pay him $5 [million]. I think the financial part is going to [come] in. And as Kevin Garnett said, if Paul doesn't come back, I think Kevin weighs his options and says he wants to go someplace else."

Definitely could see KG leave if Pierce doesn't return.  Not sure where KG would end up but I wouldn't want to see him playing for another team.   I could see Doc leave if Paul and KG are no longer with the Celtics.  Although, I have no idea who would be a good replacement for him. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to susan250's comment:

Definitely could see KG leave if Pierce doesn't return.  Not sure where KG would end up but I wouldn't want to see him playing for another team.   I could see Doc leave if Paul and KG are no longer with the Celtics.  Although, I have no idea who would be a good replacement for him. 

KG will retire or ask for a trade.

All very depressing.  This new era will very rough.  The Celtics have zero talent upfront and pieces that are flawed in the backcourt.  Those who view all these changes with excitement are going to be very disappointed in the coming months.  We will be in the lottery for a few years.  I predict Ainge might even leave if there are not significant trades to be made. And I don't see any.  KG should take a cut in salary, PP should to and Doc should stay if they can add some other pieces.  They won't though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

In response to susan250's comment:

KG will retire or ask for a trade.

All very depressing.  This new era will very rough.  The Celtics have zero talent upfront and pieces that are flawed in the backcourt.  Those who view all these changes with excitement are going to be very disappointed in the coming months.  We will be in the lottery for a few years.  I predict Ainge might even leave if there are not significant trades to be made. And I don't see any.  KG should take a cut in salary, PP should to and Doc should stay if they can add some other pieces.  They won't though.

Agree with you about the reduced salaries for both PP and KG.  If this had happened the Celtics could have been more competitive for their remaining years with the Celtics. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

You guys need to read this article.  There is too much worry on KG and Pauls salary.  They have what they have so why keep harping on it.  Just getting rid of them isn't the answer unlelss KG retires.  If he does then PP will go elsewhere.  Keep those guys,  add players that were injured, and possibly a couple new ones and see where we are mid point next year.  Then trade guys if things don't look so well. At least we might get 50 cents on the dollar.  Just getting rid of them just helps the pocketbook.

When these 2 guys are gone we will if Rondo is as good as a lot seem to think.  Same goes for Jeff when he is "the man".   I just have a feeling things aren't going to be a rosey as some think.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/9241362/2013-nba-playoffs-boston-celtics-face-tough-offseason-roster-decisions

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

You guys need to read this article.  There is too much worry on KG and Pauls salary.  They have what they have so why keep harping on it.  Just getting rid of them isn't the answer unlelss KG retires.  If he does then PP will go elsewhere.  Keep those guys,  add players that were injured, and possibly a couple new ones and see where we are mid point next year.  Then trade guys if things don't look so well. At least we might get 50 cents on the dollar.  Just getting rid of them just helps the pocketbook.

When these 2 guys are gone we will if Rondo is as good as a lot seem to think.  Same goes for Jeff when he is "the man".   I just have a feeling things aren't going to be a rosey as some think.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/9241362/2013-nba-playoffs-boston-celtics-face-tough-offseason-roster-decisions

That's because you want the Celts to be competitive in an instant. There are no shortcuts. If the Celts are to become contenders again, they have to be bad for some time.

If the Celts didn't have the 2nd worst record in 2006-07, no KG and no Ray!

It was only when the Celts had the #5 pick of the 2007 Draft that Ainge was able to pull off a blockbuster deal. 

Again, holding on to Pierce and KG for one more year or getting stuck in the middle of the pack is a waste of time!

No doubt about it. 100% correct!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Look what Riley pulled off in Miami... Anything is possible.

First order of business is removing DOc

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

In response to Karllost's comment:

Yes.

You two should pro-create and birth THE ULTIMATE Doc-hater!

Its incomprehensible to me that people point to DOC as the one thing standing in the way of Banner18. Rediculous!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Ainge should join them. Bird has been out of basketball for a year now. I would see if he is ready to come back and if so, offer him Danny's job. I think he did a great job of rebuilding the Pacers.

I would try to hire Brian Shaw as head coach, before someone else grabs him up. I would prefer to trade Rondo, but if not, he is at least a start. Green would stay, i think he will be even better next year. All the rest would be subject to be traded if the right deal came along.

I would not rule out trying to convince Andrew Bynum to join the Celtics. I know it's taking a big chance, but it could pay big rewards.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

That's because you want the Celts to be competitive in an instant. There are no shortcuts. If the Celts are to become contenders again, they have to be bad for some time.

If the Celts didn't have the 2nd worst record in 2006-07, no KG and no Ray!

It was only when the Celts had the #5 pick of the 2007 Draft that Ainge was able to pull off a blockbuster deal. 

Again, holding on to Pierce and KG for one more year or getting stuck in the middle of the pack is a waste of time!

The key is to rebuild on the fly. You don't need to be a lottery team to get better. They have their best player coming back, Jeff Green, AB, and Sullinger. They do a S&T for a center with KG's contract they have gotten better than last year. Granted they need to get more scoring from the two but that is the easiest to replace in the draft.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

Ainge really has no choice but to waive PP. If all 3 are gone, Ainge could make just a few moves to keep the team in contention but if he screws them up, it could be a long 3-5 years.

Very funny that I have to say that to one of the most negative guys in this forum:

You are way to optimistic. Even if PP and KG are of the books there is almost nothing Ainge can do which would make us a contender immeadiately. Dwight Howard and Chris Paul will not walk through this door.

And if we can't sign big FA, then 3-5 years it very fast to rebuilt through the draft.

And please don't tell me that a good coach will transform Randolph, Crawford and TWill into an All-Star. If so, then there might not be a good coach in the entire league.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Lebron's not a free agent. And Doc is our best asset for recruting players. Players WANT to play for DOC Rivers. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

Ainge should join them. Bird has been out of basketball for a year now. I would see if he is ready to come back and if so, offer him Danny's job. I think he did a great job of rebuilding the Pacers.

I would try to hire Brian Shaw as head coach, before someone else grabs him up. I would prefer to trade Rondo, but if not, he is at least a start. Green would stay, i think he will be even better next year. All the rest would be subject to be traded if the right deal came along.

I would not rule out trying to convince Andrew Bynum to join the Celtics. I know it's taking a big chance, but it could pay big rewards.

Took him over ten years. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Yes.

You two should pro-create and birth THE ULTIMATE Doc-hater!

Its incomprehensible to me that people point to DOC as the one thing standing in the way of Banner18. Rediculous!!!!

No one said that.

Again you lie.

R9R cant even lie good.. just makes things up and says you said it.  No credibility for liars

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:

Lebron's not a free agent. And Doc is our best asset for recruting players. Players WANT to play for DOC Rivers. 

Perhaps.. look at all the stars that fought to come here the last 5 years (sarcasm).... or maybe they like playing for Doc cause they can do as they please, ala Rondo.  Seriously, Im open minded, what evidence is there to support your claim??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

Hiring a good head coach will be the key.
    Signing a big FA will be another key.
    What to do with Rondo will be the last key.

Bird,

Unfortunately, all that will be available from trades and the draft will be average to above average players. Be prepared for years of average teams. It was fun while it lasted, but if Pierce goes, it is likely KG retires.

Thanks guys, for the great entertainment!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Get ready for lottery ball.