Melo is an official Knick..is NY better?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebostonjam. Show thebostonjam's posts

Melo is an official Knick..is NY better?

The Knicks had to give up an awful lot, and might have a worse bench than Miami now. 

http://www.thebostonjam.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Re: Melo is an official Knick..is NY better?

No they aren't better. Holding onto Felton should've been the sticking point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebostonjam. Show thebostonjam's posts

Agreed.  Felton is a better point guard than Billups right now in their careers.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

If NY would've held out Melo was going there next year anyway. So they wouldn't have had to give up Felton or Chandler.

To me, Denver got the better deal and they were the ones under the gun. NY got a two old players in Billups and Carter, Balkman was riding the bench and SheWill well enough said.

NY acted like they were the ones with a gun to their head, not Denver.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebostonjam. Show thebostonjam's posts

5th seed at best in the East...at BEST  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

The East still clear until the Bulls...I actually think Denver got the best of the trade!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Denver got an incredible deal considering they waited so long.  The Knicks if they can avoid injury(because they are very thin at all positions) will be a force to be reckoned with.

Melo, however,  I will predict will be a player that does not make the Knicks inherently stronger in the end.  Let's call them the Heat without a defense. 

Amare is a similar player without intangibles.  All adds up to a lot of flash with even more disappointment when it really counts. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Chris Paul will be joining them when his contract is up with New Orleans to form THEIR version of the SuperFriends. I also heard Deron Williams was interested with signing with New York.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

As long as D'Antoni is the coach the Knicks are not going to get better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn313. Show rpn313's posts

You guys are way off.  Melo and Amare is enough to knock the Bulls out of the first round!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Melo is an official Knick..is NY better?:
    [QUOTE]You guys are way off.  Melo and Amare is enough to knock the Bulls out of the first round!
    Posted by rpn313[/QUOTE]

WRONG!

Without defense the Knicks are not going to get past the 1st round of the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

NY isnt going anywhere....if they beat the bulls...whoopdidoo.  W/o felton they are going nowhere fast!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

The Knicks are only slightly better.  Billups = Felton so those two cancel each other out.  I'm not saying that Chandler and Gallanari = Anthony, but losing both of them makes the Knicks that much less deep.  Factor in the adjustment period... Yeah, this team isn't going anywhere and is still one major piece of 2 complimentary pieces away from being a legit contender.  Anthony and Stoudemire don't do it for me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]Denver got an incredible deal considering they waited so long.  The Knicks if they can avoid injury(because they are very thin at all positions) will be a force to be reckoned with. Melo, however,  I will predict will be a player that does not make the Knicks inherently stronger in the end.  Let's call them the Heat without a defense.  Amare is a similar player without intangibles.  All adds up to a lot of flash with even more disappointment when it really counts. 
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

An incredible deal?  No they didn't.  Did they get the best possible deal with the few options they had?  Maybe.

Let's face it, Anthony handcuffed the Knicks and Nets.  He wasn't going to sign an extension elsewhere and there aren't too many contenders that would be willing to part with top talent to rent him for less than half a season.  Wilson Chandler is walking after the year.  Felton is OK but it's not like he's making squat... he's on a reasonable contract for what I view to be only a slightly above average PG.  Gallinari is the only player you can build around from this deal and even he is very unproven.  Top it off with a 1st round pick in 2014?  That pick is likely going to be in the mid 20's range AKA minimal value. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Melo puts butts in the seats, not W's in the column.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This trade is for fan acceptance this year. I think they will continue to play .500 ball for the year. They will be in the playoffs but will not do any serious damage. But I do think they will scare a few teams.

This is all about the future with Paul, Howard and Williams becoming F.A.'s after 2012. One and just maybe two of them will be coming to NY.

For those who think they should have waited until after the season, there just wasn't any chance the Knicks were going to let someone squeeze in and steal Anthony.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Well yeah NY won't be a thing this year. But just wait a couple of seasons. They'll soon have a big three / four of themselves. I am sure of that. This year they'll just try to do their best in playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]This trade is for fan acceptance this year. I think they will continue to play .500 ball for the year. They will be in the playoffs but will not do any serious damage. But I do think they will scare a few teams. This is all about the future with Paul, Howard and Williams becoming F.A.'s after 2012. One and just maybe two of them will be coming to NY. For those who think they should have waited until after the season, there just wasn't any chance the Knicks were going to let someone squeeze in and steal Anthony.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

They really could have waited though.  He was only signing an extension with the Knicks anyway.  It was likely that any team that "rented" him out for the year would have to suffer watching him walk (to New York) following the season.

I'm not saying this was a bad move by the Knicks but I wouldn't worry about the Knicks THIS year.  They may reach as high as the 5 seed in the East but as of right now they just aren't deep enough to contend.  That being said, there's not a question in my mind that this team will stack up for next season.  I think one of either Paul or Williams lands in NY coupled with a flurry of role players.  This team is heading in the right direction, but 2011 is still a bridge year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebostonjam. Show thebostonjam's posts

Not a chance the Knicks beat the Bulls in the playoffs.  Billups cannot guard D-Rose for 48 minutes.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Melo is an official Knick..is NY better? : They really could have waited though.  He was only signing an extension with the Knicks anyway.  It was likely that any team that "rented" him out for the year would have to suffer watching him walk (to New York) following the season. I'm not saying this was a bad move by the Knicks but I wouldn't worry about the Knicks THIS year.  They may reach as high as the 5 seed in the East but as of right now they just aren't deep enough to contend.  That being said, there's not a question in my mind that this team will stack up for next season.  I think one of either Paul or Williams lands in NY coupled with a flurry of role players.  This team is heading in the right direction, but 2011 is still a bridge year.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Agreed for the most part. But waiting was not in the game plan if he could be had now.  And even if the Knicks were able to keep Spencer or Wilson, it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Chandler goes F.A. next year and it going to look for the type of contract that has basically bogged down the Knicks these last 5 or 6 years. And with Spencer, he was more a product of the system this year than anything else. If someone had suggested a Billups for Spencer trade a few months ago, who wouldn't have jumped on it?

I think the Knicks are on the right path as you mentioned. The scary part of all this is the Isiah factor. As you stated and which I have thought for several months now, Isiah has his claws into Dolan and I fear what that may do down the road. Walsh has done an admirable job considering what he had to deal with when he took over. If I was him and Isiah really is in the picture again, I would flip both of them the bird and just walk away.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

In the short run the knicks will be worse. They will be able to get another big name in the next year or 2 and with mid-level exemption and bi level they will be able to get some role players also. In 2 years they will be a force but not this year. I say they will get knocked out of the playoffs early and they will try to trade billups for another point guard with his expiring contract.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Melo is an official Knick..is NY better? : WRONG! Without defense the Knicks are not going to get past the 1st round of the playoffs.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

I agree that they have to improve their defensive effort to really contend in the playoffs.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebostonjam. Show thebostonjam's posts

Let me remind everyone that Yi Jianlian of all people dunked on Carmelo Anthony in the past (below).  Melo is a poor defender,weak rebounder, and it shows...