Melo to the Lakers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Re: Melo to the Lakers?

In Response to Re: Melo to the Lakers?:
    [QUOTE]Bias, Melo is a bully what do you mean?  I watched this guy countless times he is a finesse player.  He rebounds better than some small forwards but what a stretch to imply he is a strong player rather than finesse.  I can't wait for Denver to move him, it will be much ado about nothing.  He is soft and the Lakers don't need soft. If the Knicks get him prepare to be underwhelmed there as well.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Wow, you aren't watching the close enough then. He's a bully in terms of he will post up a smaller guy and kill him in the post. The bigger guys he takes outside.
    Just listen to Kenny Smith or Barkley talk about him when you get a chance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

He is a great player. PP can do the same things he can do.  The only thing different is PP has KG and RA.  All who play together,  Kobe is never going to do that.  Or Melo for that matter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Pierce will have a field day.

Melo plays one end of the court for the most part.

Ha Ha...

I guess Theo Ratliff can play Center, or they could try to bring back Olajwan if they trade Bynum.

Gasol can play center, but the size difference between the Celtics and the Lakers in the front court, would be a joke. We could start Shaq to get Gasol into foul trouble, and then clamp down the defense in the second half with Perk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

Yeah, this trade is absurd for both parties involved.  Bias, I respect your analysis but seriously, the Celtics wouldn't just bother a Melo-Laker team, they'd pick it apart with team defense, smart-to-near-perfect offensive attacks and a rotation of bigs that would be able, if healthy, to completely outplay an overplayed and exhausted Gasol/Odom duo.

Lakers have issues with their point guards and their bigs right now, and this trade would a) do nothing to address the PG issue, and b) worsen the bigs problem.  Even IF Lakeshow could make it past the Spurs we'd dismantle them.  I fear them much more with Bynum in the lineup.

Also, I agree with Che.  No center, no ring.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Bynum for Melo would be a mistake. Bynum and Odom for Melo is insanity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, this trade is absurd for both parties involved.  Bias, I respect your analysis but seriously, the Celtics wouldn't just bother a Melo-Laker team, they'd pick it apart with team defense, smart-to-near-perfect offensive attacks and a rotation of bigs that would be able, if healthy, to completely outplay an overplayed and exhausted Gasol/Odom duo. Lakers have issues with their point guards and their bigs right now, and this trade would a) do nothing to address the PG issue, and b) worsen the bigs problem.  Even IF Lakeshow could make it past the Spurs we'd dismantle them.  I fear them much more with Bynum in the lineup. Also, I agree with Che.  No center, no ring.

Posted by BRADinLA[/QUOTE]

Perfect! That is my take as well. Lakers issues are point guard related. Steve Blake never met the expectations and wont meet them, same with Barnes. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I would fear the Lakers more WITH Bynum than with Melo.

When the Celtics beat the Lakers, Kobe scored 41 points with 3 rebounds and ZERO ASSISTS.

Last night, Melo scored 50 points with 11 rebounds and ZERO ASSISTS.

Who in their right mind would pair those two on the court together and think they will be successful?  Nobody, and I mean nobody, would ever see the ball.

That duo would not work.  They are incapable of sharing the ball or getting others involved.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I guess everyone is underestimating the Lakers. I think we can beat them but I do respect them.

Look they've been to 3 straight Finals and I'm not sure how many playoff games Bynum has even played in those 3 years. LOL!

You're giving up a oft-hurt big man for a legitmate All-NBA player. You guys are nuts if you think it hurts the Lakers. Who's to say they don't go and get another big??

We can't even get our entire team on the court for 5 games. So take off the green shades and realize that would be a big move. Remember we don't have a Posey or TA anymore to lock down a SF when PP is out the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from paul0. Show paul0's posts

P34, been telling you season is NOT over yet!!  Sounds like Celtic backers are worried!  LMAO

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

What does Bynum give you 10-14 pts, 10 rebs and 3 blocks IF he's playing well.

Melo give you 20 pts, 8-10 rebs in his sleep and you cannot double Kobe or Gasol.

I guess I would take that trade off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beat-Boston. Show Beat-Boston's posts

Wallace from Charlotte is whom they are looking at and Hinrich from the Wiz. One, or both of those guys to LA.

As for Melo, Nuggets trying to drive up price on the Knicks, making them think he's going to LA.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

The Lakers could easily land Dwight Howard when he is a FA. (see Shaq) So giving up Bynum now and getting Howard in 2 years could be the long term plan.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Bynum for Melo would be a mistake. Bynum and Odom for Melo is insanity.
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the honesty.  There is still only one basketball, too.  With Kobe and 'Melo dominating the ball, Gasol and Odom would be forgotten.

And giving up Bynum AND Odom would be absurd.

Do you think this is a move for the long term to try to find The Man because Kobe can't take over a game and drop 50 like 'Melo can?

You're right about interior defense, although I'll also add that 'Melo isn't exactly playing defense, either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]I guess everyone is underestimating the Lakers. I think we can beat them but I do respect them. Look they've been to 3 straight Finals and I'm not sure how many playoff games Bynum has even played in those 3 years. LOL! You're giving up a oft-hurt big man for a legitmate All-NBA player. You guys are nuts if you think it hurts the Lakers. Who's to say they don't go and get another big?? We can't even get our entire team on the court for 5 games. So take off the green shades and realize that would be a big move. Remember we don't have a Posey or TA anymore to lock down a SF when PP is out the game.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

BiasLewis, you're right.  The Lakers have been to 3 straight NBA Finals.  However, the only one in which they LOST was the one when Bynum WAS NOT available.  And I don't think that's a coincidence.

He completely anchors their interior better than anyone else.  Say what you want to say about how oft-injured he has been.  I don't remember the last time the Lakers won the Finals without Bynum.  His presence makes a difference!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Melo to the Lakers? : BiasLewis, you're right.  The Lakers have been to 3 straight NBA Finals.  However, the only one in which they LOST was the one when Bynum WAS NOT available.  And I don't think that's a coincidence. He completely anchors their interior better than anyone else.  Say what you want to say about how oft-injured he has been.  I don't remember the last time the Lakers won the Finals without Bynum.  His presence makes a difference!
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Petey62, Yes I hear you and I know Bynum is important but I think the Lakers want to start that transitioning period sooner than later. I'm not saying they blow it up right now but making that trade starts the movement.

Trade Bynum now, get Melo and dare him to walk away from LA, Kobe and the Laker history.

Then try to sign Howard (which won't be hard) in 2 years.

You have an aging Kobe showing Melo how things are done in LA. Where does Chris Paul go at that point...to LA or NY??

I think Kupchak is always thinking ahead and that's why I like his style over Ainge in that regard.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Melo to the Lakers? : BiasLewis, you're right.  The Lakers have been to 3 straight NBA Finals.  However, the only one in which they LOST was the one when Bynum WAS NOT available.  And I don't think that's a coincidence. He completely anchors their interior better than anyone else.  Say what you want to say about how oft-injured he has been.  I don't remember the last time the Lakers won the Finals without Bynum.  His presence makes a difference!
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

As BiasLewis pointed out, they want to think ahead and start the transition now.  In that regard, 'Melo would be a decent understudy to Kobe.

Plus, Kobe can't take over games anymore.  He's starting to show his age in that regard.  Sure, Bynum's a great presence, but if Kobe's starting to show small chinks in his armor then Bynum won't even matter

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

Why is everyone so  worried and excited about this trade. First of all, all discussions are in their preliminary stages. Nothing very serious at this time.

Secondly, Denver is not stupid to trade Melo and only getting Bynum. If the discussions develop into a solid state, and the trade eventually works, look for other pieces be added that might cripple the Lakers, not just Bynum.

And if it does work, look for Danny Ainge to respond with his own.

Time Will Only Tell

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Bias,
    Your point about Howard is a good one.  Wow that is a team to worry about and deeply loathe, Gasol, Melo, Kobe and Howard.  I will say that Kobe and Melo will never be a good mix.  So if you are thinking the Lakers are planning their future this plan would make real sense.

I would also add Gasol and Howard would not be such a good mix either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

It is difficult to make plans for anything beyond this year. With the all but sure lock out, and probably league contraction, who knows what teams will look like next year, or the year after.

It is possible that the Lakers have given up on this year, but I doubt it. I guess they could be looking for a Kobe replacement.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

As a Laker fan, I believe that this whole discussion is being artificially generated by Denver to get more leverage in their negotiations with the Knicks. The Nuggets are in a bind and they are desperately trying to get the best deal possible.

Whether such a trade of Bynum for Melo would help/ hurt L.A., like with any swap, there are pros and cons. Those that keep trashing Kobe's game, are closing their minds to the fact that he has 5 rings. And that fact alone should give posters pause about whether Kobe and Melo can co-exist. Winning trumps everything.

Personally, I don't want this trade. Bynum, when healthy, is the anchor of the team. But far too often he's gotten hurt, plays lacksadaisical, and has frustrated the front office. If the trade goes down (which I believe will never happen), then on paper, the Lakers become an offensive super-power.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

Can Melo remain with Denver?..If so wait till ray and Kg come off big $$ and come to Boston. PP would be a cool back-up! and could be #19.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Can Melo remain with Denver?..If so wait till ray and Kg come off big $$ and come to Boston. PP would be a cool back-up! and could be #19.
    Posted by heirplain[/QUOTE]

Do you even know what you're talking about? Melo has already said he will leave Denver on July 1, 2011.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

There are always intangibles. People don't see all the good and bad that a player brings to the team. Look at Rondo, Big Baby and Perkins. You put these three on another NBA team and they'll be considered "scrubs." Being in Boston has helped them develop their skills.

Posters who quickly trash Bynum don't watch Laker games. You saw what he did on 1 leg against Boston. When healthy, he makes players like Amare or Howard disappear. Even a 65% Bynum brings length to the table. The reason why Boston, Dallas, and Indiana have added size to their rosters is because of the Laker bigs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

[QUOTE]There are always intangibles. People don't see all the good and bad that a player brings to the team. Look at Rondo, Big Baby and Perkins. You put these three on another NBA team and they'll be considered "scrubs." Being in Boston has helped them develop their skills. Posters who quickly trash Bynum don't watch Laker games. You saw what he did on 1 leg against Boston. When healthy, he makes players like Amare or Howard disappear. Even a 65% Bynum brings length to the table. The reason why Boston, Dallas, and Indiana have added size to their rosters is because of the Laker bigs.
    Posted by LakerFan67[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.  I can't understand why people are just poo-pooing the Lakers length.  Their skilled big men have been the reason they have 3 finals appearances and 2 banners in the past few years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

rondo, baby and perkins have earned a few fans here, 67. you don't need to be referring to them as scrubs on any other team on your second post.