Might be wise to insert Green in the Starting line up and bring Ray off the bench

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticjay. Show celticjay's posts

Might be wise to insert Green in the Starting line up and bring Ray off the bench

Seems Ray is tired.  His shot isn't falling like it was pre-allstar game.  This team is old.  Why not start green at the 3 and shift Pierce over to the 2.  It would allow Pierce to rest a bit as there are less dangerous 2's than 3's in the Eastern conference and he could really man handle many of the 2's. It would also add a little more size which we need right now with Shaq out and Kg looking a little tired.

I think Ray off the bench is really his role next year anyway..  

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Re: Might be wise to insert Green in the Starting line up and bring Ray off the bench

Thats a very good idea, RA would be better suited coming off the bench with Davis.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticjay. Show celticjay's posts

Re: Might be wise to insert Green in the Starting line up and bring Ray off the bench

Once Shaq comes back.  I love the prospect of Ray, Baby, Kristic and Delonte of the bench.  Team wouldn't miss a beat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Not gonna happen this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

I think this is an option Doc must explore. With both PP and RA on the floor, the Celts lose out to younger teams when it comes to athleticism and speed. Besides, Ray looks worn out at this stage of the season. He doesn't have the usual fluidity and accuracy to his jump shot. PP can easily move over to the shooting guard spot when Ray is sitting. Jeff Green in the starting lineup also adds length up front. We also don't suffer offensively. In preparation for the post season, Doc should now reduce the playing minutes of the Big 3 and Rondo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

It might be wise to put Green on the floor for 30+ minutes instead of the 20 to 24 minutes. He has usually been playing.

Green should be playing more sf,about 12 to 18 minutes a game at sf. Green should be like a 6th starter ,with Baby out. 

He should be on the court for 30+minutes ,until Baby gets back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

this year no, afterwards i agree with ray allen off the bench

now, doc must limit the big 4's minutes !!!! i'd do max 30 or even less, like duncan is doing.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Might be wise to insert Green in the Starting line up and bring Ray off the bench:
    [QUOTE]this year no, afterwards i agree with ray allen off the bench now, doc must limit the big 4's minutes !!!! i'd do max 30 or even less, like duncan is doing.....
    Posted by caesarthecat[/QUOTE]

Agree that Ray will continue to start.  Definitely a good idea for the big 3 to play less minutes going forward.  They are all playing too many minutes.  Especially if everyone is back from their injuries.  Of course, not sure when if ever we will  have a completely healthy team. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

I already proposed this idea in the "If the Cs cant beat Philly ..." thread.  I didnt necessary say put Ray on the bench, but he logs more time with the 2nd unit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In Response to Might be wise to insert Green in the Starting line up and bring Ray off the bench:
    [QUOTE]Seems Ray is tired.  His shot isn't falling like it was pre-allstar game.  This team is old.  Why not start green at the 3 and shift Pierce over to the 2.  It would allow Pierce to rest a bit as there are less dangerous 2's than 3's in the Eastern conference and he could really man handle many of the 2's. It would also add a little more size which we need right now with Shaq out and Kg looking a little tired. I think Ray off the bench is really his role next year anyway..   Thoughts?
    Posted by celticjay[/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea but it won't happen this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Ray is playing way too many minutes, but Pierce and Garnett are also issues in this.  The big 3 all had very bad games last night.  If one had played decently it would have been enough to win the game.  

I have wondered how BBD and Green will co-exist in the court.  I have no idea if this will be great or something to avoid.

One thing is clear Green should be logging more minutes and he was and is being underutilized.

On a night when the big three was awful why did Doc not get him out there and make him the focal point of the offense when he had 18 points. Play him more.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

This is absurd! RA isn't coming off the bench. There is no need to make a drastic change to the rotation. Just get the guys in suits on the court.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Might be wise to insert Green in the Starting line up and bring Ray off the bench:
    [QUOTE]Ray is playing way too many minutes, but Pierce and Garnett are also issues in this.  The big 3 all had very bad games last night.  If one had played decently it would have been enough to win the game.   I have wondered how BBD and Green will co-exist in the court.  I have no idea if this will be great or something to avoid. One thing is clear Green should be logging more minutes and he was and is being underutilized.  On a night when the big three was awful why did Doc not get him out there and make him the focal point of the offense when he had 18 points. Play him more.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

only one way to find out- try it.  both of these guys have good ball instincts and floor vision, i don't see why it wouldn't work. 

regardless, from now until the end of the year, green should be used heavily to keep pierce's minutes down so he can rest up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from allen2034. Show allen2034's posts

this definitely is absurd...i mean you guys arent real fans of ray...if hes good 1 game OMG RAY ALLEN IS AMAZING...then the next game he has a off night and it all of a sudden RAY MUST COME OFF THE BENCH...i mean are you 10 or something... the guy isnt gonna go 100% from the floor...ray is having a amazing year...you my friend are crazy if you think doc will even do this...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

GLAD you are NOT the coach !! Really one bad game and you become a bench player?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

No way you put Ray on the bench.  Reduce his minutes, yes.  Make him the first starter to come out, yes.  Take one of if not the most consistent player you've had this year and bench him?  NO!

I did hear somewhere that Ray had a leg issue.  I watched him run in the last game and while he was never fast, he was even slower and did not run hard nor stretch out when running.  If he's tired or injured, leave him out for a couple of games, but you don't bench him because you think younger players are better than he is.  Not yet, at least.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

keep the starting 5 the way it is (obviously with shaq replacing krstic if/when he returns)

I would like to see more of jeff green at small forward, especially once our injured bigs start returning. I even think he's got the skills/versatility to play shooting guard, although it would be more logical to shift pp to shooting guard in those situations.

green was playing nearly 40 minutes a game at OKC, and his versatility is his biggest strength, so we should be using him to back up all of the big 3.

atm I think our optimal playoff lineup would be:

o'neal (whichever one is healthy) (c)
    kg (c/pf)
    pp (sf/sg)
    ra (sg)
    rr (pg)

green (pf/sf/sg)
    bb (c/pf)
    krstic (c)
    arroyo/west (west if healthy, arroyo otherwise) (pg/sg)

a 9 man rotation is all we need, with the minutes green and big baby can log off the bench.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

i agree with the above + sasha pavlovic to be used as a momentum-changer guy, role he fits in ok i think both defensively and offensively

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

r u guys nuts? no way for ray! ray has an ego. he has achip. did reggie ever come off the bench? even when rebuilding.. did michael jordan? like it or not, unless there are clear injury and health issues, no way for ray! the ego thing matters plus how do u make the argument that its best for the team when clearly the team performs better overall with the big 4 out there! do n ot forget ray has a players option after the season! y would he want to come off the bench? jeff green can and should.  other teams would be glad to make hima starter. how quickly will miami jump all over that one? now AFTER next season if his performance dips or if we do not win it all, we'll see! the big 4 is made for starting... y do you think even at 39 and injury prone, shaq is still going to START over nenad when he returns. i'm sure thats part of the reason they are holding him out right now. that starting 5 becomes the best and most efficient in the league, if not in lleague HISTORY! nenad-baby-green-west-arroyo (less arroyo in playoffs if west os healthy since west is taller and better at BOTH positions esp on DEFENSE) willl make a formidable bench rotation, with murph and sasha on the bench (eventually wafer will replace sasha)... still your last 3 of jo, sasha and bradley is pretty good. depending on the series, those latter 2 may be part of the first 12 guys.

ray is also very finickky about his routine. he will be the worse guy to bring off the bench. look, grant hill still wants to start. it matters to guys, plus no way they make all-star team and improve their legacy if they are coming off the bench (ask ginobili). y don't u have pp come off the bench? same reason! unless there is a health issue, forget it. eventually, i do see pp at the 2 and green at the 3 at some point during the 2012 season. i was thinking we would trade ray as we just did with perk but actually your idea may work then as the celts may have actual data that green works better with the starters and that ray breaks down the longer he plays. to get him to 25-30 minutes and to give him a 2 year deal, he may have to agree to that or they will have to trade him or something. danny gets to the point when he must! now though is so not the time for this!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

I would think all NBA players have healthy egos. You need it to play the game. Saying that I think Ray is a better starter because he needs to get oiled, work up a sweat, before he really gets rolling. I also think if Doc told him he wanted him to come off the bench Ray would do it cause of his commitement to the team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from allen2034. Show allen2034's posts

Im sure after tonight you are gonna talk about how good ray is and how he should start now that he had a good shooting night... i mean get it sraight that the guy will have a off night or a couple but at least he has been 1 of the most consistent players for us this year...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Yea...Ray is the in the best shape of anyone on the team and people keep talking about reducing his minutes. He has one bad game and some want to send him to the convalescent home. He has proven himself time after time. No injuries this year to speak of. I don't understand why some don't realize his value to this team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Davis Krystic Green West Arroyo off the Bench and Wafer and Sasha as situational replacements works for me. I think our second unit as constituted could beat several teams.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticjay. Show celticjay's posts

I agree Ray should start and many made some intelligents points I agree with upon reflection. I do think it is insane for him to play more than 32 minutes a game for the remainder of the season. The team is pretty strict with KG's minutes and I think they need to do that with Ray once Delonte comes back Wednesday.  Ray's minutes are different from most.  He expends so much energy running around screems all game.   Let's keep him fresh for the playoffs.  

This team looked lively tonight with everyone getting some PT.  Also a little more athletic..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Ray should start without a doubt!!

One of the reasons Ray has been so successful with us is because the first unit knows how to set him up...the screens, the eye contact, the plays & Rondo delivering the ball at the right time/spot. Why on earth would we want to change that especially at this time of the season?? Ray will continue to start during the playoffs guaranteed.

Also, to my eye Ray seems in great shape. I mean, great shape! However, keeping in mind the last few playoff seasons, Rays shot has struggled mightily for long stretches.. Was he getting worn out, injured  whatever....

Clearly he should get a shot at reduced minutes if possible,,, every team in the NBA wants to rest up their key players heading into the playoffs... but definitely not pulling Ray from starting