More Offense: Gilbert Arenas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

More Offense: Gilbert Arenas

I am totally prepared for the backlash with this post but this team is severely lacking in the offensive production department.  We are playing defense well-enough (better than we're playing offense) that I believe Danny and Doc need to make it a top priority to add a scorer NOW.  Pietrus will help but he's really not a "scorer".  I would not be against the signing of Gilbert Arenas.  It's obvious Moore is not going to be seeing the court on a consistent basis anytime soon.

Currently, the Celtics have only 3 players with the mindset and skillset to score the basketball (Ray, Pierce, Bass).  KG would rather get 5 feet from the basket only to throw a pass to the 3-point line and get an assist on a 3-pointer.  KG is a career 19.5 and 10.7 per game player.  And those averages would be even better had his production not dipped significantly in the past 3 years.  Today, KG is at 12.9 points and 7 rebounds per game.  That's unacceptable.  KG can still average 18 and 10 even while strictly being a jump shooting PF.

Rondo, from the first couple of games, displayed that he CAN be a more effective scorer (when he wants to).  But, for some reason, he chooses not to be aggressive consistently enough on the offensive end.  I believe if Rondo were more aggressive and less reluctant to attack the rim for fear of having to take FTs, I believe he could easily be a 20 points 10 assists per game guy.

Danny and Doc have the same player in Quis and Pavlovic and neither really contributes what this team needs offensively or defensively.  With Green's contract off the books, the Celtics may need to eat Pavlovic's contract and sign a scorer (Arenas) at the veteran's minimum and incorporate him into the offense.  It's still early enough because with 9 games in, it's obvious to anybody watching, this team is not good enough to contend for a title.

We are the next to the last team in rebounding again this season and our defense is not what it used to be BUT, offensively, we cannot score.  If we cannot count on Rondo or KG to score more and accept the fact that Pietrus isn't going go step in a be a scorer (he'll help), then we need to go out and sign someone known for scoring.  The ONLY person out there now who fits that bill is Gilbert Arenas.  With our veteran leadership and Doc as the coach, it's worth it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Re: More Offense: Gilbert Arenas

Vet min. Do it. He can actually play PG too. Obviously he could be totally washed up but what's the risk?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Wait and see what happens with Pietrus first!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

In Response to More Offense: Gilbert Arenas:
    [QUOTE]I am totally prepared for the backlash with this post but this team is severely lacking in the offensive production department.  We are playing defense well-enough (better than we're playing offense) that I believe Danny and Doc need to make it a top priority to add a scorer NOW.  Pietrus will help but he's really not a "scorer".  I would not be against the signing of Gilbert Arenas.  It's obvious Moore is not going to be seeing the court on a consistent basis anytime soon. Currently, the Celtics have only 3 players with the mindset and skillset to score the basketball (Ray, Pierce, Bass).  KG would rather get 5 feet from the basket only to throw a pass to the 3-point line and get an assist on a 3-pointer.  KG is a career 19.5 and 10.7 per game player.  And those averages would be even better had his production not dipped significantly in the past 3 years.  Today, KG is at 12.9 points and 7 rebounds per game.  That's unacceptable.  KG can still average 18 and 10 even while strictly being a jump shooting PF. Rondo, from the first couple of games, displayed that he CAN be a more effective scorer (when he wants to).  But, for some reason, he chooses not to be aggressive consistently enough on the offensive end.  I believe if Rondo were more aggressive and less reluctant to attack the rim for fear of having to take FTs, I believe he could easily be a 20 points 10 assists per game guy. Danny and Doc have the same player in Quis and Pavlovic and neither really contributes what this team needs offensively or defensively.  With Green's contract off the books, the Celtics may need to eat Pavlovic's contract and sign a scorer (Arenas) at the veteran's minimum and incorporate him into the offense.  It's still early enough because with 9 games in, it's obvious to anybody watching, this team is not good enough to contend for a title. We are the next to the last team in rebounding again this season and our defense is not what it used to be BUT, offensively, we cannot score.  If we cannot count on Rondo or KG to score more and accept the fact that Pietrus isn't going go step in a be a scorer (he'll help), then we need to go out and sign someone known for scoring.  The ONLY person out there now who fits that bill is Gilbert Arenas.  With our veteran leadership and Doc as the coach, it's worth it.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

C'MON DUDE...ARE YOU ON...DRUGGGZZZ...

IF NOT...THEN TAKE SOME ...EL PRONTO...

TELL US THE ...TRUTH...KNOWING ALL THAT'S KNOWN

ABOUT HIS REPORTED CHARACTER FLAWS..

WOULD YOU WANT HIS SORRY AAAZZZ... ON

THE FRONT LINES WITH YOU BEHIND ENEMY TERRITORY

I'M FROM PHILLY...SO DON'T GIVE US...NO BS...

ON THIS QUESTION.....YOU ARE NOW ON THE CLOCK.. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Petey - have you seen Petey play since he came back from injury?  He's terrible.  I don't have any problem with your overall concept, but the implementation of your concept is Arenas and he's not going to give you much.  He can't create his own shot anymore and his legs are gone.  He won't be able to defend at all nor will he be able to rebound nor drive.  He now shoots set shots and at a low percentage.  There's a reason they let him go.  They didn't save any cach - they just got him off the books. The guy is not worth our time.

Moreover, what the C's need is athletic legs.  Someone who can get their own shot, jump, rebound, hustle for a ball.  The C's are the slowest, oldest looking/playing team I've seen.  They have no one on one moves and at crunch time, if Ray can't get open, its seems the C's are dead.   So, again, your concept is spot on - but I think they have to solve the problem with a younger player (trade) and not some old veteran who will give us more of what PP, Garnett, JON, and others give - slow legs with no jumping and no speed.  

Team speed/athleticsm/ability to play one on one is what we lack.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I agree with you Petey,  he is worth bringing in for a look, and let Danny and Doc determine if he can help or not.  Have to be cheap though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

How did Arenas look last year for Orlando?  What do you think has changed?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Celtsfan, I totally agree with your assessment of what we need.  However, "we aint gettin that".  We don't have anyone of value to trade for that.  Who on this team can get us "athletic legs. Someone who can get their own shot, jump, rebound, hustle for a ball."  Wherever that person is on another team, we don't have the assets to obtain him.

Honestly, your characterization of Arenas is incorrect.  Arenas started last season with the Wizards and averaged a solid 17.3 points while playing 35 minutes a game.  He was "just getting his legs back".  Although he wasn't himself, he obviously was effective enough to put up those numbers.  So to say he lost his legs and he has no shot doesn't "jive" with a guy averaging 17.3 points per game AT ANY TIME.

Upon joining the Magic, his game seriously suffered in that system.  No big deal.  I could care less how Arenas "looked" last season and "why" the Magic amnestied him.  All I know is Pavlovic AND Daniels are on the Celtics and they have very similar roles yet neither is adequately satisfying that role at present.  Why have two players who do the same thing and neither is doing anything?

Red, I don't think we should "wait for Pietrus" because Pietrus is a solid perimeter player but he IS NOT A SCORER.  He will fill a huge hole but we should not have expectations that Pietrus is going to step in and put up 15 points a game subbing for Ray and Paul.  He's a solid player who can hit the 3 but he's no scorer.

And it makes even more sense with Pietrus coming to waive Pavlovic or Quis and bring in a scorer like Arenas.  Arenas TODAY can provide more offensive production than any Celtics player on the bench now besides POSSIBLY Bass.  If Arenas has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove himself again, he would be an asset in Boston.  Scorers don't just lose the ability to score the ball.  It doesn't happen!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4420007. Show user_4420007's posts

Arenas lmao. What a cancer!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

null, we don't tolerate cancers.  We address them and nip them in the bud from a management and player standpoint.

His biggest supporter in Orlando was Dwight Howard.  Believe me, if he was truly a cancer, I don't think Howard would have been so disappointed in the Magic for letting him go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4420007. Show user_4420007's posts

In Response to Re: More Offense: Gilbert Arenas:
    [QUOTE]null, we don't tolerate cancers.  We address them and nip them in the bud from a management and player standpoint. His biggest supporter in Orlando was Dwight Howard.  Believe me, if he was truly a cancer, I don't think Howard would have been so disappointed in the Magic for letting him go.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/623442-orlando-magic-trades-did-not-work-out-gilbert-arenas-is-a-bust

http://www.examiner.com/orlando-magic-in-orlando/orlando-magic-use-amnesty-clause-waive-gilbert-arenas

Howard was so desperate for help he practically demanded Arenas and we all know how that worked out. No thanks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Offense: Gilbert Arenas : http://bleacherreport.com/articles/623442-orlando-magic-trades-did-not-work-out-gilbert-arenas-is-a-bust http://www.examiner.com/orlando-magic-in-orlando/orlando-magic-use-amnesty-clause-waive-gilbert-arenas Howard was so desperate for help he practically demanded Arenas and we all know how that worked out. No thanks.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Of course we KNOW null to be a huge Celtics fan........
    This, from the LA Times today:
    I think we need to fire Mitch, I mean he could have picked up Nate Robinson, he could have picked up so many people he is a horrible manager.

Nate Robinson, lmao, what a cancer!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

null, good articles but it's about expectations.  The articles confirm one major error made by Orlando.  Orlando brought Arenas in in hopes of him being the "superstar to help Howard" and to be part of a super team.  If THAT was Orlando's expectation by signing Arenas, then you're right, he was a bust.

Arenas would not be coming to Boston to be a superstar or expected to be part of a new trend of a Celtics super team (in the article).  That was Orlando's fault that they were totally misguided in why they brought him in.  And what's funny is that because he was not able to be the PLAYER that Orlando wanted him to be, HE IS A BUST.  Sooner or later, because Baby is not doing what Orlando brought him in to do, he'll be considered a bust by season's end.

Because Orlando cannot adequately evaluate talent (see Vince Carter, Quentin Richardson) and bring guys in that are capable of filling realistic roles, those players are traded and/or deemed a bust.  When they traded Pietrus and Gortat for Hedo and Richardson, I knew something was awry in their player personnel department.

The Celtics simply need him to come in as a 2nd unit guy and create the "threat" of scoring which he is capable of doing.  He still averaged 10 points per game in only 25 minutes a game last season with Orlando.  That type of production is exactly what's lacking on our 2nd unit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Offense: Gilbert Arenas : Of course we KNOW null to be a huge Celtics fan........ This, from the LA Times today: I think we need to fire Mitch, I mean he could have picked up Nate Robinson, he could have picked up so many people he is a horrible manager. Nate Robinson, lmao, what a cancer!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know he is.  Thanks Red.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

PLEASE...... SPARE ME/US...... OH YES, AND LAY OFF THE SAUCE !!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Petey, you make some good points there.  I had to think for a minute:  why is it that I remember an Arenas that looked too slow and old (worse than some of the C's look now) and Petey remembers a more productive Arenas?  So, I went to check the stats.

1. When Arenas was averaging 26 to 29 ppg, it was before he hurt his knee and he played 39 to 43.5 min/game to average those points (healthy).

2. Once he was injured and came back, he averaged a decent 22ppg in 32 games at the end of one season and then 17ppg for 21 games with the Wizards before being traded.  To hit those averages, he shot better but had to be the center of the offense playing 36 min/game and then 34 min/game, respectively.

3. Once traded to Orlando, he was reduced to 21 min/gm in 49 games.  His shooting percentage went down and he even shot only 27% from three point land (where legs really matter). 

4. He got to the playoffs and in those 5 games, he shot 25% from 3 point land in 16 min/game of play.

Summary:  he has to be in the game a lot (30+ minutes) to get his open shots and even then, his 3 point shooting is now way down.  He is obviously not a defensive player.  Come to the C's and he's NOT going to play as much as Ray so he'll be at 20 min/game or so.  That means he maybe scores like he did in Orlando.....25% from 3 point land and 8 points per game and no defense.   So, how does that help us?   That is not going to win games.  

You ask:  how can we get younger legs when we don't have the assets to trade for that.  I disagree.  I don't think we can get a "star" for what we have, but we can get a younger player who is middle of the pack on another team.  I watched this guy named Ivan Johnson of the Hawks play yesterday against Miami.  He killed them.  He's a rookie and is way down on their depth chart.  I can't believe that we can't package a second round pick, Bradley, and say Quis to a team that's going no where to get one of their young bench players.  I say Danny has to look for that type of player and make him the backup to Ray or Paul rather than another guy who's experienced, but just as slow or slower than the current old guys.

I can't name the player, but I'd rather see them (Doc and Danny) try some 3rd year or 4th year player than an old injured guy who can only score when he plays lots of minutes and even then has a low shooting percentage.

Of course, I'd like to see them give Stiemsma and Moore some more minutes and maybe they'll infuse some energy into the lineup at times!   I just don't see Arenas giving us much more than other old guys who can't jump over anyone to create a shot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

One more thing to add:  Danny should take away Doc's crutch.  Doc won't play young guys.  Danny should trade away 'Quis and Sasha so that Doc has no choice but to play someone young.   

Maybe that's the only way to FORCE Doc to let Moore play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Danny traded both away for second round picks.  I thought that guy Ivan Johnson played well against Miami in that 3OT game but he made alot of typical rookie mistakes.  But you're right, he did bring some energy.

Bad shooting percentage or not, sufficient playing time or not, Arenas produces so much more than anybody on our bench now, offensively.

The Celtics main problem is we cannot score baskets.  When Pierce is cold and Bass has one bad game, we're done.  We just don't have enough scoring.

This team is in trouble with the roster as it is now.  2nd unit of Dooling, Quis, Bradley, Bass and Stiemsma puts NO FEAR into anyone.  Bass is the only scoring threat on that unit.  When Pietrus gets healthy, he will help but Pietrus isn't a scorer either.  It's just going to be a long season if we don't upgrade this roster.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

You're probably right.  But I wonder if Danny has already decided to just ride it out.  Let whatever happen just happen naturally and start the rebuilding next year.  KG is likely gone (can't see him wanting to play on a diminished level for a team that can't win a championship).  Ray will accept a lesser role for less money.  Danny has 2 draft choices and lots of cap space.   He may just say:  I'll rebuild when I see who's available for trade and who's available in the draft at our position, whether he can sign Green again (or wants to), etc.

I bet there's a chance Danny just holds his powder dry trying to build a good young team next year.

Rondo, Bass, maybe Green, Moore, JJ, draft picks, and free agency + Pierce and Ray might just bring a highly energetic team to the table next year.

Patience is a virtue!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I think Arenas would be a good pickup to fill in for RA off the bench. Arenas, Pietrus and Bass would provide the scoring for the 2nd unit.

If Arenas starts acting foolish, you release. It's simple. I think with all the vets on the team he would fall in line.

It gives Doc more flexibilty if he ever wants to put Arenas, RA/PP and Pietrus on the floor with KG and Bass.

Small investment, big reward if it works.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from okdude73401. Show okdude73401's posts

isnt he a head case?you want th
    at in boston?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

NO THANKS.......  THERE ARE ENOUGH TATOO'S ON THE FLOOR ALREADY !!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Arenas if he had been so highly thought of by Dwight would still be there.

Nobody wants him. That is all you need to know.