NBA's worst shooters ... and Rondo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

NBA's worst shooters ... and Rondo

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/77702/shooting-blanks-the-players-with-the-worst-shotscore

On Rondo, Russell, and Rubio

Even though we love to blast Rajon Rondo because "he can’t shoot," there are a few point guards more deserving of that rep, prominent floor generals who actually fail to create points at above-average rates, from both the inside and the outside. Rondo, believe it or not, can actually makes shots at rates above league averages. In fact, in the last few seasons, he has made his elbow jumper at elite rates, partly because he’s left open and partly because he is an improving shooter.

Back in the 2002-03 season, a young Tony Parker attempted 243 3-point shots; a decade later, during the 2012-13 season, Parker only shot 68 3s. Parker and the Spurs recognized that not only were these shots not very effective (31.3 percent for his career), they also introduced a huge opportunity cost. Every time Parker shot a 3, it meant he wasn’t attacking or playmaking. The new and improved Tony Parker doesn’t take those 3s himself, he helps create them for guys like Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, and Matt Bonner.

Saying that Rubio has trouble finishing at the rim is kind of like saying that Toonces the cat has trouble driving on mountain roads. But Rubio’s troubles extend outward from the hoop. As it turns out, not all Spanish point guards are freakishly good shooters. When it comes to shooting efficiency, Rubio is no Calderon. Rubio's pretty lousy in those exact same elbow areas where Calderon thrives, and Rondo has greatly improved. So, to the people that continue to make those “Rondo can’t shoot” proclamations, I propose you take your sneers elsewhere, perhaps to Oklahoma, North Carolina, or Minnesota.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: NBA's worst shooters ... and Rondo

This article is a phenominal read.

The point about Rondo is that unlike other PGs such as Tony Parker, Russel Westbrook, Monta Ellis, Rondo always was in a position to play to his stengths. He was a "bad" shooter, so he focused on dishing dimes. He didn't have to have the Tony Parker realization. And now that he's had years to work on the jumpshot, its improving and he is able to take and make much more. Rondo is an intelligent player.

The other Key takeaway that I did not inclide is that Monroe is a horrendous shooter around the rim. Definitely not overvaluing him anymore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This article is a phenominal read.

The point about Rondo is that unlike other PGs such as Tony Parker, Russel Westbrook, Monta Ellis, Rondo always was in a position to play to his stengths. He was a "bad" shooter, so he focused on dishing dimes. He didn't have to have the Tony Parker realization. And now that he's had years to work on the jumpshot, its improving and he is able to take and make much more. Rondo is an intelligent player.

The other Key takeaway that I did not inclide is that Monroe is a horrendous shooter around the rim. Definitely not overvaluing him anymore.

[/QUOTE]

It's pretty quiet here! I guess the haters don't know what to say about that yet.

Rondo has to improve his FT% (make it like 75/100). If he does it the Celtics will get a complete very high quality player and a chance to build a championship team once again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I like Rondo as a player.  This year will be an opportunity for him to show us what he can do post KG, PP and RA.  Maybe he'll really flourish as a scorer and will improve his jumper and FTs to where he has to be respected in the 4th quarter. 

My questions are -

1.  is he a max player? 

2.  does he fit in with the new system and the rebuilding process?  Does he want to?

3.  what can DA get in trade for him if the rebuilding process will take longer than when RR is in his prime?

If this team can rebuild quickly, then maybe keeping RR is the way to go.  But is he a max player?  Still not sure. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Rondo as a player.  This year will be an opportunity for him to show us what he can do post KG, PP and RA.  Maybe he'll really flourish as a scorer and will improve his jumper and FTs to where he has to be respected in the 4th quarter. 

My questions are -

1.  is he a max player? 

2.  does he fit in with the new system and the rebuilding process?  Does he want to?

3.  what can DA get in trade for him if the rebuilding process will take longer than when RR is in his prime?

If this team can rebuild quickly, then maybe keeping RR is the way to go.  But is he a max player?  Still not sure. 

[/QUOTE]

Fine, I'll bite

1. He is as much a max player as Westbrook and Parker are.

2. He hasn't yet given any reason for us to think he isn't down with the rebuilding process. Look at all the sheet that swirled around Howard and look and whats starting to happen with Aldridge. This is not happening, yet. Certainly could change with a string of losses, but right now Rondo is loving the fact that this is his team. Finally its his team. Why would he leave? To go to another location for it to be his team, or to go to a place where its will continue to not be his team? This is an ideal situation for Rondo. He has the support of a very smart and creative GM who will do what it takes to put Rondo in a position to WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. I think its clear, Rondo wants to be the best. He wants an indisputable legacy. He is not one to shy away from the moment. This is his chance and he will take full advantage. He also doesn't have the pressure of having two hands with no rings. That absolutely gets to guys. Rondo has the ring so he doesn't need to pull a LBJ to form a superteam in order to game the system for that ultimate prize.

3. If that is the case (rebuild is a 5 year project) Danny has to get a top 5 pick for Rondo and hopefully a couple of additional assets. I certainly like the idea of Dragic + Suns 2014 pick, if they are also willing to take one of Bass, Lee or Wallace with Rondo. That would be a fair trade for the Celtics IMO. I mean, imagine if we could get Smart (Suns pick), Parker (Celtics pick) and a potential big like Dakari (Nets Pick) in this one draft. That could turn into an OKC-like rebuild. In this case you add that to Bradley, Sully, KO, Brooks ad Green... not bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Rondo is much more of a factor than a lot of you are giving credit to

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Rondo is developing into a near all star player.  His shot has imporved, even though, the rest of the league still treat him like he can not shoot.  But his shot has improved and if the injury does not stall him, he is our best option for point guard of the future.   As he slows a bit his basketball IQ should continue to improve.  We can not get equal value for him and getting a point this is as good as him is not in the picture.  Even if we draft one it could be years before he would actually overshadow Rondo.  We need to secure or develop a top 2 to play with this team, use our draft choices to improve or make trades.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

In response to maryngary's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rondo is developing into a near all star player.  His shot has imporved, even though, the rest of the league still treat him like he can not shoot.  But his shot has improved and if the injury does not stall him, he is our best option for point guard of the future.   As he slows a bit his basketball IQ should continue to improve.  We can not get equal value for him and getting a point this is as good as him is not in the picture.  Even if we draft one it could be years before he would actually overshadow Rondo.  We need to secure or develop a top 2 to play with this team, use our draft choices to improve or make trades.

[/QUOTE]

Rondo is a 4 time all star.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to maryngary's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rondo is a 4 time all star.   Yep, but not in my humble opinion, there are players in the league that I consider all stars and there are all stars in the league that are really near all stars.   Rondo, is good, but lacks just a bit to be on my all star team.  He has all star games at times for sure.   He has been very difficult to trade, we have tried several times, it is because the gm's have questions about him.  Since we can not trade him for what we think he is worth, he will remain with us.  I think he is close to becomming a true all star, which means he would lead this team into the playoffs or at least to a respectable season, if you consider the games he plays when he is health.  Yes, he has been on the all star team four times.

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

I just dont get the logic, rondo is a 4 time all star and you stated he can develop into an all star? He already is an all star and has been  on multiple occasion.

Maybe you should rephrase your statement.  Something along the lines of you saying,  "I dont believe rondo is one of the top players in the league" that is an opinion. But to say hes not an all star caliber player, when he has been an all star 4 times, is just arguing against fact. Which doesnt bode well for any type of argument.