Re: NEW RESPECT FOR WILT, BETTER THAN RUSSELL?
posted at 3/5/2012 4:48 PM EST
In Response to Re: NEW RESPECT FOR WILT, BETTER THAN RUSSELL?
[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NEW RESPECT FOR WILT, BETTER THAN RUSSELL? : Fits? Try this: Wilt averaged 28 & 28 against Russell. Wilt had a game high 62pts against Russell and 6 other 50+ games. Wilt's record 55 rebound game was against Russell, and he had six other 40+ rebound games vs. Bill. Russell only had one 40+ rebound night against Wilt. In fact, Wilt won 9 of 11 rebounding titles when both were active. Wilt is still the only center to lead the league in assists for a season and almost did it twice. Russell found a system that he could fit into perfectly with a better support cast and so won more championships. But when it comes down to who is the superior player, Wilt wins hands down! Think of it like this, compare Ray against Kobe. Yeah, it's that easy.
Posted by Elven 32[/QUOTE]
Hey Elf, you left out a few important facts:
1. In those games Wilt averaged 28.7 ppg and 28.7 rpg, Russell averaged 14.5ppg and 23.7rpg
2. So, the rebounds were a whopping 4 rebounds per game and that was all accounted for because Wilt was playing the whole game and Russell was playing less minutes. Look it up.
3. In those times, Wilt was taking more shots and scoring more while Russell was running within an offense where the TEAM was winning more.
4. When Wilt averaged 29 ppg against Russell, you forget to mention that he was averaging almost 40 points per game agains the league. Who held him so much below his normal average so that Wilt's team would lose? Russell!!
5. Most importantly......let's put Wilt on the Celtics and almost everyone but you would say the teams will not end up winning 11 or 13 championships. Its proven when Wilt had Baylor and West - two of the best to ever play the game and still lost against who....yes...Mr. Russell. Wilt could NOT make his team better.
6. While Wilt was just playing selfish ball, Mr. Russell was not only playing and leading his team on the court, but COACHING at the same time!!!
Wilt was a GREAT offensive player. He was NOT the great leader AND player that Russell was. Why couldn't he win in college and the pros like Russell? He was not a leader.