Not a bad game by Erden

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: Not a bad game by Erden

In Response to Re: Not a bad game by Erden:
    [QUOTE]Semi is the best all around big man the Cs have drafted in a while.  I didnt think he was that good after watching the international championships but he has some skills.  Another good pick up by DA.
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

How can this be a surprise?  In the US the players play in junior high and high school and rely completely on their athleticism.  The outcome of their games is irrelevant.

In Europe they are already in professional leagues when they enter the NBA and they have been prepared in the fundamentals.  In the US they do not have fundamental skills, they rely on their athleticism.

In the past, most NBA GMs would not waste picks on Euro players at the top of the draft.  Eventually teams started to make Euros top draft picks.

Dallas got extraordinarily lucky with Dirk, Parker, and Manu....  lots of pundits think that the Mavs have done incredible research... when in reality they got nothing but lucky.... had either Parker or Manu played in college at Miami or Ohio St. they would have been drafted sooner and Duncan would have been standing all by himfelf.

I hope Semih will help them in the front court but in the long run, he is likely not a great player but should be what most would consider a decent European player that otherwise would not make a good player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

[QUOTE]if he was a backup in the turkish league, how did he make the turkish national team?  that doesn't compute
    Posted by cole-ely[/QUOTE]

Stats for Semih in Turkey below.  he was a back up.

2005–06

In the Turkish Basketball League, Erden averaged 6.5 points and 5.4 rebounds in 18.4 minutes a contest. He had a high of 14 points at Fenerbahçe Ülker and scored in double figures seven times. He also contributed 3.4 points and 2.2 rebounds in 9.1 minutes a contest in nine Euroleague games.

[edit]2006–07

Erden played 16.1 minutes a game, averaged 6.4 points and 3.8 rebounds in Turkish League play, registering a high of 10 points against Galatasaray Café Crown. In the Euroleague, Semih added 4.5 points and 3.1 rebounds in 13.8 minutes per match.

[edit]2007–08

Erden averaged 7.1 points and 4.7 rebounds in 19.5 minutes a game in Turkish League play, scoring in double figures six times with a high of 15 points against CASA TED Kolejliler. During the season though, he missed a number of games due to a knee injury. In theEuroleague, he added 6.7 points and 4.3 rebounds in 19.3 minutes a contest, scored in double figures three times and posting high of 15 points against Panathinaikos BC.

2009-2010 Regular Season
    29 games played
    AveragesTotalsShooting
    Rebounds
    Assists
    Efficiency
    Rebounds
    Assists
    Efficiency
    FT %
    2Pt %

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

the first time he started he was a dud. took too many fouls to early. the 2nd game he started he was better prepared i think. this guy has some nice soft hands at times. definitely more athletic then perk in some aspects. good pick up by danny I already enjoy watching this guy. he might back up KG also, we don't know.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Semih has not shown me the instincts of the good player.  He is out of position on defense, misses rebounds, doesn't finish that well.  As if he is just a little slow to recognize the situation.

But I must say that there has been steady improvement.  I am hoping that he had poor coaching in Turkey and that he will improve significantly over time.  I see him developing into a high quality backup in a couple of years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Tony Parker isnt your typical Euro......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Not a bad game by Erden : How can this be a surprise?  In the US the players play in junior high and high school and rely completely on their athleticism.  The outcome of their games is irrelevant. In Europe they are already in professional leagues when they enter the NBA and they have been prepared in the fundamentals.  In the US they do not have fundamental skills, they rely on their athleticism. In the past, most NBA GMs would not waste picks on Euro players at the top of the draft.  Eventually teams started to make Euros top draft picks. Dallas got extraordinarily lucky with Dirk, Parker, and Manu....  lots of pundits think that the Mavs have done incredible research... when in reality they got nothing but lucky.... had either Parker or Manu played in college at Miami or Ohio St. they would have been drafted sooner and Duncan would have been standing all by himfelf. I hope Semih will help them in the front court but in the long run, he is likely not a great player but should be what most would consider a decent European player that otherwise would not make a good player.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]
    Dudder.. where to begin on this post.. Dallas didn't draft Parker or Manu.. that's San Antonio.. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Not a bad game by Erden : How can this be a surprise?  In the US the players play in junior high and high school and rely completely on their athleticism.  The outcome of their games is irrelevant. In Europe they are already in professional leagues when they enter the NBA and they have been prepared in the fundamentals.  In the US they do not have fundamental skills, they rely on their athleticism. In the past, most NBA GMs would not waste picks on Euro players at the top of the draft.  Eventually teams started to make Euros top draft picks. Dallas got extraordinarily lucky with Dirk, Parker, and Manu....  lots of pundits think that the Mavs have done incredible research... when in reality they got nothing but lucky.... had either Parker or Manu played in college at Miami or Ohio St. they would have been drafted sooner and Duncan would have been standing all by himfelf. I hope Semih will help them in the front court but in the long run, he is likely not a great player but should be what most would consider a decent European player that otherwise would not make a good player.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Hate to tell you this but Manu and Parker don't play for the Mavs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I bet dudder meant Spurs.  We've all had brain freezes like that from time to time.

I don't think you can give credit to doc for playing a rookie in the case of erden.  The guy has been a 7 year pro.  Not quite the same thing as playing an 18 year old kid.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Back to Erden. He's gonna have to turn another performance like he did last game as Shaq is sitting again and he most likely will tomorrow also against the Hawks. Semih is earning my respect. For a late second round pick rookie, he's playing better than expected and happy with that.
        The knicks are a small speed type team anyway so the matchups tonight may be fine anyway with Shaq sitting. Atlanta is a smaller speed play team also. None of their starting 5 are over 6'9.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I thought shaq did a great job against Atlanta in the first meeting this year, though.  The hawks like to go over the back for rebounds, but they couldn't get over his back.