Not Starting Green

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stackgtr. Show stackgtr's posts

Not Starting Green

I dont care if you think its just preseason or not. Making Jeff Green our main option is detrimental to all the other guys. Even the guys who dont play the same position. Guys will never be able to show their potential as leaders, number 1 options and so forth if they are being told to go to Jeff, give the ball to Jeff, help setup for Jeff. Its time to see who other than Jeff has the heart and talent to carry the team, whether its one man or any combination of other players. Notice how the players play and move more freely with Jeff off the court.

With all that being said, I think Stevens should have the balls to go with a starting five without Jeff Green in it. Id like to see bradley in his true position of SG. Id love to see Pressey Bradley, GW, Bass, and Fav start. All five of these guys are physical, play good to great D, have heart, willing to run the floor and give their all for 48 minutes!! I'd like to see Green, Olynyk, Sully and Lee in main rotation off the bench with limited sightings of Humph and Crawford.

This will give us the best chance of player development, being competitive, n actually  winning some games.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stackgtr. Show stackgtr's posts

Re: Not Starting Green

Its too early but im getting the feeling that brad stevens has as much heart as Jeff Green. He too has to be a leader, lead by example, and show that he wants warriors on his team. That the guys who give their all are the ones who will play. That the guys who play to their talent level will get the minutes and not just whomever has the most potential or whomever has been dawned "the one".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Green is not that good.

Other than the dunks, he is a poor shooter.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Green is a cowardly lion. He doesn't embrace his power. He doesn't seem to relish it. He has the courage to slam in someone's face but doesnt have the courage to put a team on his back. He doesn't want that responsibility because he can't handle the mental pressure. He goes out of games with the slightest of injuries.THATS A WEAK MIND LOOKING FOR AN EXCUSE. Just my observation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

how much pressure is REALLY on green?  guaranteed contract, crappy team.  if you take him out of the starting 5 he will relax even more and manage to cobble together 8.8 points and 2.6 rebounds a game.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Someone will need to wake up the Jolly Green Giant if you want him to play.  The more I watch him the more I think it is a mental problem with Jeff.  He does not move well and he gets the ball in the wrong spots and he either forces his drive or makes an unnecessary pass, or just looks lost.  I was expecting much more out of him and I just do not recognize the person in Jeff Green's body.  He is on his way out at this time because he leaves a coach little choice as to what to do with him.  I can't wait to see a finger roll into at least three defenders that hardly reaches the goal, let along go in.  It is up to Jeff.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

In response to stackgtr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont care if you think its just preseason or not. Making Jeff Green our main option is detrimental to all the other guys. Even the guys who dont play the same position. Guys will never be able to show their potential as leaders, number 1 options and so forth if they are being told to go to Jeff, give the ball to Jeff, help setup for Jeff. Its time to see who other than Jeff has the heart and talent to carry the team, whether its one man or any combination of other players. Notice how the players play and move more freely with Jeff off the court.

[/QUOTE]

I, for one, concur.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

In response to maryngary's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Someone will need to wake up the Jolly Green Giant if you want him to play.  The more I watch him the more I think it is a mental problem with Jeff.  He does not move well and he gets the ball in the wrong spots and he either forces his drive or makes an unnecessary pass, or just looks lost.  I was expecting much more out of him and I just do not recognize the person in Jeff Green's body.  He is on his way out at this time because he leaves a coach little choice as to what to do with him.  I can't wait to see a finger roll into at least three defenders that hardly reaches the goal, let along go in.  It is up to Jeff.

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand what you mean by "a mental problem." He has no mental problems about running fast or jumping high or swooping in for a dunk down a vacant lane or going up and blocking the occasional shot. He had no mental problems in college collecting a degree in English at Georgetown. 

Perhaps you mean that he's somehow mentally blocked from being able to be a player. We've heard plenty of folks say. "Green has the ability but he just doesn't, won't, can't..." If it is only in his head, that presupposes that he actually can do the things he's just not doing.

I challenge that assertion.

Have you ever seen him get a tough defensive rebound that wasn't right over his head? Have ever you seen him meaningfully organize his teammates? Or make an even slightly surprising good pass? Or post up effectively? Or take a licking and keep on ticking? Really, wouldn't he have shown this by now? Somewhere? To some extent?

The fact is that he hasn't. He was a lane runner, lob target, and spot up 3rd option shooter in freelance OKC. Here he was a 4th/5th option but because we see 6'9", run like a gazelle, jump and dunk on lobs and in transition, and adequate spot up jumper, we think, "He must be able to also do all that other basketball stuff."

Not remotely the case. In fact, that's where we get sucked in.

Whatever he can do well in basketball (quickness, speed, size, reach, timing, dunking, shooting), are mostly natural gifts or came to him instinctively and without much effort.  And please don't equate with never working in a gym. Of course he's practiced basketball. So why does he too often he look like he just wandered onto the court from a volleyball match?

Other skills - ball handling, court vision, basketball IQ, creating his own shot, spatial awareness, creativity with the ball, combativeness, high motor - the inner fabric of the game, were not instinctive for him, and still aren't. Not naturally there, Green needed to work on developing them but it appears that he simply hasn't done so, otherwise we'd see it. 

Instead what we're seeing in games looks like his mind/muscle memory going back to a default setting of, "Why would I need to work any harder to be able to handle, score inside, pass, see the floor, compete, lead, whatever, than I did to be 6'9", run fast, dunk and shoot jumpers?" 

If he, Green himself, doesn't have the basketball sense/skill to see that something is very wrong with "his game," then what's the point of the discussion. Maybe that's what you mean by a "mental problem,"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stackgtr. Show stackgtr's posts

I think its time we stop holding Jeff Green accountable and start to question Bradley and or Ainge. We can go back and forth all day about Jeff Green's short comings but theres people who get paid millions to notice these things and to make judgement calls. So why are we still witnessing this. I wonder if Jeff Green and Marshon Brooks are pet projects that ainge insist on proving that they could play. I mean how many times has Ainge passed on a player during the big three era due to already having proven veterans, only to go back and sign or at least later bring into training camp.?? Its starting to become a habit.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stackgtr. Show stackgtr's posts

Sometimes there comes a point when something has ran its course. Could it be that time??

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Jeff Green and Gerald Wallace need to be on the court together for most of the game. I think Stevens thinks more of matchups than position 1-2-3-4-5, in fact I think you in general the NBA is going toward this. Debating whether a player should start at X position isn't the point, it is what combinations make us the most effective and provide us with the most positive matchups.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Green is a backup small forward.

That's it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GAShamrock60. Show GAShamrock60's posts

Let's give Jeff Green some time as he has  just returned from heart surgery last season and now has to adapt to a completely different set of players. If he's going nowhere at the trade deadline then try to get what you can for him to get out from under his contract. If he's playing well keep him to blend in with our future draft picks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]

Sometimes there comes a point when something has ran its course. Could it be that time??

[/QUOTE]

no. because the finishing of the "running its course" toilet flushing is that someone else wants green and will take his contract.  based on this pre season....  not even close.  green is in mark blount "relax" mode

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to GAShamrock60's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's give Jeff Green some time as he has  just returned from heart surgery last season and now has to adapt to a completely different set of players. If he's going nowhere at the trade deadline then try to get what you can for him to get out from under his contract. If he's playing well keep him to blend in with our future draft picks.

[/QUOTE]

sounds like what folks are saying is that he doesn't have any heart when it comes to his basketball game- just takes what's there and doesn't work to be any better.  i can't disagree

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think its time we stop holding Jeff Green accountable and start to question Bradley and or Ainge. We can go back and forth all day about Jeff Green's short comings but theres people who get paid millions to notice these things and to make judgement calls. So why are we still witnessing this. I wonder if Jeff Green and Marshon Brooks are pet projects that ainge insist on proving that they could play. I mean how many times has Ainge passed on a player during the big three era due to already having proven veterans, only to go back and sign or at least later bring into training camp.?? Its starting to become a habit.

Question Ainge?

Ainge converted a 37-year old PF and a 36-year old SF into 3 1st round picks!

Why question Ainge?

[/QUOTE]

Why question Bradley either. We have a 21 year old defensive stopper we got for the 19th pick.  Which brings us back to why question Ainge.