Older All-Star Players Who Finished their Careers with the Celtics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Older All-Star Players Who Finished their Careers with the Celtics

I just got to thinking about this after yesterday's press conference. I only included players who played their final year(s) in Boston.  So, players like Wayne Embry (5-time all-star) Dominique Wilkins, Gary Payton and Tom Gugliotta are not on the list, even though they came to Boston late in their careers. I also omitted players who came to Boston in their primes and stayed here, e.g. Dennis Johnson.

Arnie Risen--HOF
    Andy Phillip--HOF
    Carl Braun-- 5-time all star
    Clyde Lovellette--HOF
    Willie Naulls-- 4-time all star
    Woody Sauldsberry-- all star in '58-'59
    Curtis Rowe-- all star in '75-'76
    Pete Maravich--HOF
    Scott Wedman all-star in '75-'76
    Bill Walton--HOF
    Stephon Marbury-- 2-time all star
    Michael Finley 2-time all star (although he may play this year)
    Rasheed Wallace-- 4-time all star

Presumably Shaq will make this list unless he goes elsewhere three years from now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Re: Older All-Star Players Who Finished their Careers with the Celtics

I wouldn't include Curtis Rowe who came here in his prime and was an unmitigated disaster.

Wasn't Rowe the one who said something like, "There's no W's or L's on the paycheck."  Or was that his pal Sidney Wicks?

In one of Bird's books he said that he got an idea of how tough Bill Fitch was when on the first day of training camp, Fitch yelled out to Curtis Rowe, "You can take that half speed jog into the locker room.  You've just been cut."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

The sad part of reading this list is that I was a fan of the team and remember  when they all arrived to wear the green.Lord,I am getting old but I guess it's a plus that my memory is still good enough to remember the names....P.S.-I still have autographed pictures of Pistol Pete and Clyde which I got at charity events.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

In Response to Re: Older All-Star Players Who Finished their Careers with the Celtics:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't include Curtis Rowe who came here in his prime and was an unmitigated disaster. Wasn't Rowe the one who said something like, "There's no W's or L's on the paycheck."  Or was that his pal Sidney Wicks? [/QUOTE]

It was Wicks.  Rowe didn't play that badly when he first arrived. Decent defender.  But yes, he came in what was supposed to be his prime, but it didn't turn out that way.

And the only reason he came to Boston is that John Y. Brown was too cheap to pay Paul Silas.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Dominique finished with the Magic if I recall correctly. The C's was the second to last team he played for in the NBA.
       Gugliotta played with the C's for a while, but was a non factor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1599760. Show user_1599760's posts

Lest we forget the great Dave Bing finished up with C's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

As did Ernie Degregario.

Didn't Otis Birdsong finish up here as well?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

In Response to Re: Older All-Star Players Who Finished their Careers with the Celtics:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Older All-Star Players Who Finished their Careers with the Celtics : It was Wicks.  Rowe didn't play that badly when he first arrived. Decent defender. 
    Posted by jm02130[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I recall Rowe having a some decent games here.  Wicks did also.  But overall niether of them covered themselves with glory.

Interesting story about Sidney Wicks in David Halberstam's "Breaks of the Game."

Portland was one of the first teams to hire a shrink to do psychological assements of their players.   When the Portland coaches asked the shrink what he thought of the rookie Sidney Wicks, he replied that he did not think Wicks had a bright future in the league, characterizing him as a very intelligent, very talented young man who was a mass of contradictions and who was at war with himself.  The coaches didn't take this seriously.  After all what did a shrink know about basketball?

Wicks went on to be rookie of the year, being only a handful of rookies to score over 2000 points in one season and the shrink really lost credibilty with the coaching staff.  But year by year Wicks's productivity dropped.  By the time Wicks came to Boston, the Trailblazers were only too happy to unload him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Yes, I foprgot Bing and Birdsong, who only played 13 games for the C's.  But DeGregorio was never an NBA all star.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Add Artis Gilmore.  I'd add Wayne Embry but didn't he finish up his career with the expansion Milwuakee Bucks?