Olynyk and Bird comparison

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Olynyk and Bird comparison

I'm in Milwaukee as many know and rarely get to see Boston's teams on the tube but in reading about Olynyk's game I'm wondering if some of you might agree and see some comparisons between Olynyk's overall game and what Bird brought to the Celtics. I'm not saying that Olynyk will ever be as good as Bird but some of the skill sets, etc remind a bit of Bird's game. 

Am I nuts or do others see some similarities. If you think I'm nuts you can say so and won't hurt my feelings !!

Hetch

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Olynyk and Bird comparison

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

I'm in Milwaukee as many know and rarely get to see Boston's teams on the tube but in reading about Olynyk's game I'm wondering if some of you might agree and see some comparisons between Olynyk's overall game and what Bird brought to the Celtics. I'm not saying that Olynyk will ever be as good as Bird but some of the skill sets, etc remind a bit of Bird's game. 

Am I nuts or do others see some similarities. If you think I'm nuts you can say so and won't hurt my feelings !!

Hetch

Hetch, at this point most are petrified to go there, BUT I would put KO's skillset somewhoere in between Larry and Kevin. At 7-ft, he has amazing footwork, fluidity, and a great handle. He actually moves with the ball like a lot of 2-3's. He has a great jumper with 3-pt range, but on the post he does a lot of up and under, multiple fake moves that conjur up Kevin. Its not crazy to say, with reasonable progress, KO will end up being an all-star for the C's who will be compared to both of thsoe Celtic legends on a reguar basis. HIGHLY SKILLED DUDE.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hetch

Hetch, at this point most are petrified to go there, BUT I would put KO's skillset somewhoere in between Larry and Kevin. At 7-ft, he has amazing footwork, fluidity, and a great handle. He actually moves with the ball like a lot of 2-3's. He has a great jumper with 3-pt range, but on the post he does a lot of up and under, multiple fake moves that conjur up Kevin. Its not crazy to say, with reasonable progress, KO will end up being an all-star for the C's who will be compared to both of thsoe Celtic legends on a reguar basis. HIGHLY SKILLED DUDE.......

[/QUOTE]

I know I saw Olynyk in the NCAAs or on the tube during the season and I was impressed with his overall game. Of course the press is gushing right now with how well he showed in the recent Summer play, but it is not the same as the NBA regular season but I'm thinking there is a real possibility the Ainge might have pulled off a real heist. If Olynyk's game is as advertised so far with a healthy Rondo, Sullinger, Green and Bradley we might be pleasantly surprised, probably not a playoff team but a nice group to build around, especially with a boatload of first round picks coming in over 3-4 years. 

Here's hoping !!

Hetch 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Clearly Olynyk is better than Bird as Bird cemented his legacy in the lowly NBA over a series of thosands of games and KO achieved greatness in the ultimate summer league showcasing his GOAT- ness over 5 remarkable games!

:)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Clearly Olynyk is better than Bird as Bird cemented his legacy in the lowly NBA over a series of thosands of games and KO achieved greatness in the ultimate summer league showcasing his GOAT- ness over 5 remarkable games!

I hear your sarcasm , I guess !!

Hetch

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I guess someone has to be a smartass.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

don't compare anyone to Bird..........ever.

My prediction is KO will put points on the board....he won't be a legend....but will suprise alot of people this year. His mid range is very good

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

KO has the POTENTIAL to be good...VERY good at that...but please...let's wait until he actually plays against REAL NBA regular players for a measurable portion of the season...let's see where he is in the rotation...let's just wait...because they aren't going to the playoffs for a bit..we gots the time guys...   :)

Mel, 

I'm not as said saying that he will ever be as good as bird, but the potential is there to be a very solid NBA player, All-Star or not we'll find out. As you say time will tell when he actually plays against his NBA foes in a "regular season" game, not pre-season. I'm just seeing similarities between he and Bird, height, outside shot, rebounding ability, court awareness, ability to bring the ball up court despite the height. Haven't heard much about his passing ability so far !! I agree with you that the playoffs cuold be a few years off so we as fans need to have patience while rebuilding is ongoing but so far so good for DA. 

Hetch 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

[QUOTE]

I hear your sarcasm , I guess !!

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

Hah. At the same time, I hear your optimism!

I do really like KO. He has the opportunity work really work hard and transform his body. If he get get strong & more agile, the skill is there. The BBIQ is there. The 7 feet is there. This kid could be really good. And im excited at the pospect of having him play minutes at SF. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

[QUOTE]

I guess someone has to be a smartass.

[/QUOTE]

Thats me!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

My prediction is KO will put points on the board....he won't be a legend....but will suprise alot of people this year. His mid range is very good

Send me your hate, but ...

I think Paul Pierce deserves to be compared to Bird. He is in that conversation. Not saying one is greater than the other, but the comparison is legit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

[QUOTE]

Send me your hate, but ...

I think Paul Pierce deserves to be compared to Bird. He is in that conversation. Not saying one is greater than the other, but the comparison is legit.

[/QUOTE]

Agree about PP - guy was a machine for 15 yrs. Hope he gets the same kind of love and respect that is given to other Boston sports legends.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

KO could be a point forward with the ball in his hands on the wing. He can shoot over anyone, can see the entire floor and is a very good passer. Like Larry, KO needs to cover the weakest offensive opponent on he front line, be it C, PF or SF, because he can't cover a lick.

Slow footed and can't jump, just like Larry. Knows how to block out and has a nose for rebounds. Great hands. 

I like the Larry comp, as well as the Dirk comp. like both of those players, KO is not a C.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Bird lol. 

How about we start with Sam Perkins?

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

KO looks like a good draft pick,  not one of the greatest players of all time.  Larry Bird now has it hasn't been that long?   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Dirk

Not Bird

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

As I first responded, Somewhere between Bird and Kevin........That would be Dirk.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Olynyk is like Bird on offense, but he is not the rebounder, defender, or passer Bird was.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

Olynyk is like Bird on offense, but he is not the rebounder, defender, or passer Bird was.

He is no way near as good as Bird on offense either.