Olynyk and Iverson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Olynyk and Iverson

I sure hope these two look better in green  than Brad Lohaus and Mark Acres did.....I really like Olynyk....skilled and he looks like a very smart player....I will be happy if he is a solid rotation player...I don't know much about Iverson...another Greg Kite maybe...?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: Olynyk and Iverson

We will find out starting Sunday.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

The best part is that we are no longer worried about these long shot prospects getting 5 min per game then being traded mid-season.

At this point, Olynyk could legitimately start this season (on a losing team) or play at least 20 minutes. Iverson can prob get 10 minutes off the bench. Better him and Melo than Humpty Dumpty

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

I think Olynyk will blossom into a strong offensive power forward who will struggle at the defensive end due to lack of quickness. I think Iverson will turn out to be one of the best picks we have made in recent years. I think he can clog the lane and be a defensive stopper and rebounder. He is aggressive mentally and physically -- not a bad type of guy to have if he is surrounded by several shooters.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Best-case for Olynyk in my opinion is he becomes a poor man's Dirk Nowitzki. Which wouldn't be a bad thing.

And I do like the Iverson pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeRizzuto. Show MikeRizzuto's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

I sure hope these two look better in green  than Brad Lohaus and Mark Acres did.....I really like Olynyk....skilled and smart player....I will be happy if he is a solid rotation player...I don't know much about Iverson...another Greg Kite maybe...?

Kite was just a banger on the boards for a few minutes a game. These two guys can shoot better from anywhere on the court than any other bigs that were available in the recent draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

In response to MikeRizzuto's comment:

In response to Duke4's comment:

I sure hope these two look better in green  than Brad Lohaus and Mark Acres did.....I really like Olynyk....skilled and smart player....I will be happy if he is a solid rotation player...I don't know much about Iverson...another Greg Kite maybe...?

Kite was just a banger on the boards for a few minutes a game. These two guys can shoot better from anywhere on the court than any other bigs that were available in the recent draft.

The bostonherald mentioned that iverson may be planning on playing overseas this year.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/celtics_insider/2013/06/celtics_add_quickly_to_summer_league_roster

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Olynyk=slow unathletic finesse 4. Iverson=slow, plodding, unskilled 5.  If they ever crack the starting lineup of a playoff team I will be very, very surprised.  Luckily for Olynyk the Celts probably won't be a playoff team for 5 or 6 years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to hops29's comment:

Olynyk=slow unathletic finesse 4. Iverson=slow, plodding, unskilled 5.  If they ever crack the starting lineup of a playoff team I will be very, very surprised.  Luckily for Olynyk the Celts probably won't be a playoff team for 5 or 6 years.

You know what, Sullinger is fairly slow cant really jump but is effective because he uses his body really well, is smart, and has an offensive game.  Olynyk seems to have all the same kind of qualities and he is 7ft... so there you go!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I like Olynyk. He has potential. LIke I've said before, worst case scenerio he's a Matt Bonner. He has excellent range and shooting skills for a SEVEN FOOTER. You can't teach size ... and as we are learning with Fab, its tough to teach offensive skill as well.

Smart, skilled, crafty players find a way in this league. He is not Mcgee jumping over the rim with every dunk, but maybe that's a good thing.

Would you say Marc Gasol is athletic? True small-ball is when your 5 can shoot 3's better than your PG. That is Olynyk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Best-case for Olynyk in my opinion is he becomes a poor man's Dirk Nowitzki. Which wouldn't be a bad thing.

And I do like the Iverson pick.

How poor is this man you speak of?  Poor like three kids and welfare poor, or poor like living in a putrid puddle next to a set of train tracks in Detroit poor? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

I like Olynyk. He has potential. LIke I've said before, worst case scenerio he's a Matt Bonner. He has excellent range and shooting skills for a SEVEN FOOTER. You can't teach size ... and as we are learning with Fab, its tough to teach offensive skill as well.

Smart, skilled, crafty players find a way in this league. He is not Mcgee jumping over the rim with every dunk, but maybe that's a good thing.

Would you say Marc Gasol is athletic? True small-ball is when your 5 can shoot 3's better than your PG. That is Olynyk.

You think his worse case scenerio is Matt Bonner? imo that is his Best case scenario!  So I'll agree to disagree.  And his wingspan is about the size of your run of the mill 2 guard, so he really has false size by nba standards, which shows in his lack of shot blocking and rebounding' he just has a ridiculously long neck and head!  And Mark Gasol is an inside outside threat who rebounds and defends.  Not a one trick pony.  Aren't we are getting ahead of ourselves talking about his marksmanship from the NBA 3. He hasn't proved that he can develop a Bonner like accuracy AT ALL! He has proved that he couldn't rebound or defend at the college level though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

You know what, Sullinger is fairly slow cant really jump but is effective because he uses his body really well, is smart, and has an offensive game.  Olynyk seems to have all the same kind of qualities and he is 7ft... so there you go!

Sully is a freakishly strong and agile bigman who was considered a top 2 or 3 prospect coming out of high school.  But you make a good point about their similarities.  However, why would you draft an unathletic big man that doesn't really have a position when you already have one??  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Guys,

The other cool thing about Olynyk is that he is a winner, just like Sullinger. Sullinger was certainly "the man" at every stage in his life up until the NBA. Olynyk was certainly the man last year at Gonzaga bringing them to an undefeated record (16-0) in their conference and 32-3 overall.

Kelly finished with 18ppg and 7rpg for an average of 26 minutes, hitting 63% of his FGs.

Everyone talks about NBA being only about talent and lottery picks, but I think being a winner is the number one qualification. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

The truth prob falls somewhere in the middle.  He will be a serviceable player and may be above average on the offensive end.  My point is that a team in the very first stages of a complete rebuild needs to swing for the fences on every draft pick.  At #13 you should be trying to get a guy who has the potential of being the next Hibbert, Granger, Rondo, Manimal, hell Nash was a 15th pick.  The Celtics took the safe guy with a low ceiling and boring game.  And he doesn't even fill any of the glaring needs the team has, ie rebounding and rim protection.

If we were still a mostly complete team looking to round out its roster he is a perfect choice because he probably will do exactly what's expected of him, but IMO he doesn't have the physical attributes to go beyond those expectations.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayco. Show Jayco's posts

When I think of "slow, unathletic" etc., ballplayers, I immediately think of Don Nelson.

Even by the standards of his time he was considered to be slow and plodding.

The guy played 14 (count 'em - 14) years in the NBA, even leading the league in FG % in '74-'75.

He once admitted he played the game with his head, looking for edges he could find over other players, and he said he never came up empty in that department. There was always something he could find that way.

What makes you think Olynyk can't develop like that?

In the middle, you aren't really looking for speed demons. Just someone to run the floor decently when he's not clogging up the middle. They'll probably end up putting 10 - 20 more pounds on that frame, and polish him off a bit.

He may play in Europe for a year, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing at this point in time.

Let's see how they pan out first, before condemning them to perpetual purgatory.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

The truth prob falls somewhere in the middle.  He will be a serviceable player and may be above average on the offensive end.  My point is that a team in the very first stages of a complete rebuild needs to swing for the fences on every draft pick.  At #13 you should be trying to get a guy who has the potential of being the next Hibbert, Granger, Rondo, Manimal, hell Nash was a 15th pick.  The Celtics took the safe guy with a low ceiling and boring game.  And he doesn't even fill any of the glaring needs the team has, ie rebounding and rim protection.

If we were still a mostly complete team looking to round out its roster he is a perfect choice because he probably will do exactly what's expected of him, but IMO he doesn't have the physical attributes to go beyond those expectations.  

Hops,

Keep in mind that the entire paradigm has shifted - and we have a lot of changing needs. You say Kelly is a "safe pick" but who the heck knows at this point. Olynyk has a key skill in his long range and mid range game. And you can't say he reached his ceiling. He took off the year before last to get better, and last year was the first time he really got a chance to be evaluated.

The reason Danny needed to trade up to get him is that Utah had him high on their board as well at 14. You gotta trust that the scouts know what they're doing. Give him a chance!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Well hopefully he will pan out.  Like I said he seems to be a solid player with major physical deficiencies. I wouldn't have picked him, some would, and Danny did so I am at a disadvantage.  But as ridiculous as it may seem to some that I think he will struggle to be a starter, it's just as ridiculous to compare him to the likes of Dirk, and Don Nelson. True?

Bonner...maybe.  I just have clear memories of playing with and against Bonner in the summers at Colby Sawyer college when he was 14/15.  He was easily the youngest guy, but would  effortlessly pull up and drill shot after shot after shot from about 5 feet past the arc and in.  He made the rest of us look ridiculous so I'm a little biased in my opinion of him.  Or maybe that is why I don't like white long distance shooters...getting burned by the red rocket still haunts my dreams!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Check out the video of Flip Saunders on both Iverson and then Olynyk after working both of them out;

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/minnesota-timberwolves-2013-nba-draft-player-profile-kelly-olynyk

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

WHAT???!!!!!

Sullinger played at a school with a far more difficult schedule and played consistently well since his freshman year....he's a legit wide body as well and uses his lower body much like the 6-6 Paul Silas used to....the guy also knows how to get good position under the basket and box out...he's physically tough...all the things I've just listed KO cannot/is not...I've watched a couple of hours of tape on the guy (anyone can, just go on youtube) and while he can shoot and pass, he lacks any kind of quick feet, plays no D as a result, and routinely gets outmuscled by much smaller players.....he'll find a role, but he's no where near a poor man's Nowitzki and his best option is NOT playing on the low post...just watch the films....he'll get busted up playing down low all the time in the NBA...maybe after a couple of years and LOTS of work in the weight room....adding 25 lbs. of muscle cannot possibly make him less quick. Somewhat of a paradox...he actually runs the floor welll, just lacks quick feet...

[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy if he turns out to be another Christian Laettner ... a consistant 2nd or 3rd option for the next 8 yrs if he stays around that long.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

Check out the video of Flip Saunders on both Iverson and then Olynyk after working both of them out;

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/minnesota-timberwolves-2013-nba-draft-player-profile-kelly-olynyk

Good stuff.

This and the report from Utah is positive. We have in Olynyk a guy 6'11 without shoes who can dribble, pass and shoot like a SF. I think if you pair him with Sulinger (can be a top rebounder in the nba) and Rondo who rebounds and Jeff who can grab rebounds, the rebounding isn't an issue.

I mean, Dirk is aiming high, but Kelly could be a Bagnani type but with a work ethic (still to be proven). If Kelly is as smart as they say he is, he will find ways to be productive with whatever lineup Danny/coach put him in, just like Sully did.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Sully is a freakishly strong and agile bigman who was considered a top 2 or 3 prospect coming out of high school.  But you make a good point about their similarities.  However, why would you draft an unathletic big man that doesn't really have a position when you already have one??  

He may have been top 2 or 3 out of hs but his stock dropped his last year and it was not just due to his back issue... he did not have a great year...nonetheless i like his game but Olynyk has skills... he shoots well, passes well and he is smart....on a pick and pop game ill take his shot anytime but only time will tell....