On reitiring Shaq's number

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Re: On reitiring Shaq's number

Tough pill to swallow? The Laker Nation couldn't give a hoot about snaq. He was yesterday's news, we've claimed 2 more titles since he got the boot and a third just around the corner. But one things for sure, the day he dissed Dr Buss is the day his #34 goes to the next rookie center.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

I think Shaq could't care less about where his number is going to be retired. Shaq is one of the best players in the history of the NBA. Regardless of the team that retires his number, be it BOS, LA o MIA, the man's legacy will always be there to be remembered.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

His number should be retired in LA. I remember him as being a Laker first and foremost. And I wouldn't mind if the Heat retired it as well, he did play a key role in their championship.

I'll throw in the Garnett question for Celtics fans. Would you like to see Garnetts number retired in Boston or with the Timberwolves or both? I think if the Celtics win another title this season and Garnett is healthy, then Boston may well retire his number. They still might, I really think the man was your MVP in his first two years in Boston.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Jeannie Buss, Executive VP of the lakers said on the radio TODAY,
    "When the time comes, of course his number will be retired.  He did a lot for the lakers, is this even a question?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Shaq deserves his number up at at the staple center. Next year if he has a good year he will get the last go round treatment in every city he goes to. Bird DJ Hondo Kareem watching them get there do thier last time in every city is touching honor from a great player.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Don't count on us getting though yet. I'm confident, but the team I'm worried about is the Thunder. They really play a style of game that isn't suited to us.
    Also can't rule out the Spurs and perhaps Portland.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: On reitiring Shaq's number:
    [QUOTE]Tough pill to swallow? The Laker Nation couldn't give a hoot about snaq. He was yesterday's news, we've claimed 2 more titles since he got the boot and a third just around the corner. But one things for sure, the day he dissed Dr Buss is the day his #34 goes to the next rookie center.
    Posted by KB24RULZ[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't speak for the Laker Nation. Reading what you wrote there, everybody who isn't in the current Lakers team is 'yesterdays news'.

We have won 5 titles since Ervin's showtime era. So does that mean he's also 'yesterdays news'?

They already gave Pollards number to Andrew, I guess number 99 will be worn by the next Rookie centre as I think half our fan base being uneducated in the history of the game of basketball wouldn't be able to say who wore number 99 for THE LAKERS.

Question you need to ask yourself is do we win our titles in 2000, 2001 or 2002 without The Diesel? I don't believe we would have.

I do seem to remember that The Diesel won the playoff MVP award in those series as well. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Shaq deserves the recogintion. Cedric Maxwell burned his Celtic bridges and his number was eventually retired. As will Shaqs #34 for the Lakers. If this doesn't happen it'll be yet another example of how poorly we treat our teams history and traditions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

[QUOTE]His number should be retired in LA. I remember him as being a Laker first and foremost. And I wouldn't mind if the Heat retired it as well, he did play a key role in their championship. I'll throw in the Garnett question for Celtics fans. Would you like to see Garnetts number retired in Boston or with the Timberwolves or both? I think if the Celtics win another title this season and Garnett is healthy, then Boston may well retire his number. They still might, I really think the man was your MVP in his first two years in Boston.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

KG has been my favorite player in the NBA ever since I saw him play for the T-Wolves.  That said, I don't think his number should be in the rafters of the TD Garden since he built his legacy elsewhere.  There's no question that without KG there wouldn't be a 17th title, but I don't think that he's been in Boston long enough to have his number retired.  If the C's win a 2nd championship this year than all that changes. 

The only player on this team that should have his number retired is Pierce. He's been on this team through the good years and the bad and is a Celtic through and through

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In a previous post I said most of this about the Shaq signing but now reading some remarks from LA fans that Shaq will never have his # retired by the Lakers having signed with the DEVIL.  Shaq is an athlete, lost some weight, seems to have gotten into a good fitness program, wants to play some more, would like to win another title(s)/ring(s) and, based on money he's made playing, endorsements, movie rolls & future ones etc., I don't think he needed continue for the money.  What is it exactly that Laker fans wanted Shaq to do ? Stay with Cleveland. Retire ??? You LA gurus tell me ! 

Not only the Heat, but the Lakers will regret not signing Shaq.  I think that the class thing for the Lakers to have done was to take him back for a year or two & let him retire where he won 3 championships & was MVP in all of them OOPS-I said class thing so probably too much for LA to have done !!!  We know he and Kobe were not close but they bit their tongues & cooperated sufficiently to play well enough to win 3 rings. There were some comments that he might not fit in with our guys. IF HE GOT ALONG WITH KOBE , he can get along with anybody & everybody. And, you know, with all their big guys Shaq wouldn't have needed play more that 20 min. I think the fans would have liked it too.  This too would have given him a definite opportunity to have his # retired. Kobe did comment he had one more ring than Shaq. Even Kobe is smart enough to calculate that if they got another ring(s) together, he'd still be ahead of Shaq by one. Maybe he'd be worried Shaq would get another MVP as if Kobe had just 1 of the 3 that Shaq got, he'd be tied for MVPs with Michael Jordan. And, again, Kobe should be but I don't know for sure fairly confident that Shaq would not get another MVP at his age. But, I reiterate, that would have been the class thing to do...a bit too much to ask of LA !!! 

Regarding Shaq being too old & not in shape. We've got 3 other old-well, considered old by NBA standards-who brought us within a few minutes of being world champs. As I said above, he's lost weight and got in pretty good shape I've read. And, he's motivated & indicated he wanted to come with us. Motivation is a key element to winning in sports. I use the analogy of a management course when asked if mgmt. wanted someone who was willing or able. They said that willing was more important because the ableness can be conditioned---the ableness to play as a team.  But if someone ain't willing, it doesn't matter how competent (able) they are. Here's another key I feel. Shaq has played on 2 teams with 2 "Prima Donnas", Kobe & LeBron. He was the next best player & expected to perform accordingly---actually with LA winning MVP in 3 championships it was debatable he was the 2nd best player & maybe only Kobe felt so. He is coming to a team that had 3 All Stars who were the best on their previous teams who left their egos, desire to be leading scorers & consented to play together as a team and won in 2008. Why they didn't in 2010  is discussed in detail in the "Tainted Title" post and I have offered my opinion in many posts why we were shamefully denied this. So, Shaq, for the 1st time is coming to a unit that wants to win as a team & he needn't be a star but just contribute as the others to synergy(sum of the parts equal more than the whole).

I believe he'll fit in nicely to contribute to a winning team effort and because LA will probably win the West & probably have best record as they won't have the competition we will have, we might have to beat them in a deciding game in Tinsel Town & won't it be nice for Shaq to get his tying ring with Kobe in LA and, hopefully, his passing Kobe & retiring ring the following year. 

Onward & upwards to the Over-The Hill-GREEN GANG !!!      I can't wait !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]His number should be retired in LA. I remember him as being a Laker first and foremost. And I wouldn't mind if the Heat retired it as well, he did play a key role in their championship. I'll throw in the Garnett question for Celtics fans. Would you like to see Garnetts number retired in Boston or with the Timberwolves or both? I think if the Celtics win another title this season and Garnett is healthy, then Boston may well retire his number. They still might, I really think the man was your MVP in his first two years in Boston.

How refreshing your posts are compared to the garbage and chest puffing response we got from the 1st LA fan to comment on this thread.

Shaq should be retired in LA. Miami, prob not. If KG is healthy for another title this year, then yes, he is retired. DJ and Max would not have done any better.

It is funny how one of the greatest Lakers ever, George Mikan, is ignored, not retired, and disrespected by the LA organization. But they are so quick to claim credit for the 5 titles from the 1950's in Minneapolis, that Mikan was largely responsible for.

Either LA has 11 titles, or they retire Mikan's number and honor the Minnesota franchise on their website, the halls of their offices, and various other ways as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

I say we retire his number right now! Before the season ever begins, before he ever shoots a shot, before he ever bricks a free throw and before he ever sets a pick! (Kidding!)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Please forgive my typo and please refrain from calling me a Celtics fan. I grew up in a Celtics house, I appreciate their traditions and even like them. But do NOT question my loyalty to the L.A. Lakers. And I'll also refrain from personal attacks, that's just lame dude. 

The tapestry of Laker Lore? Yes, we have a history that is almost equal to the that of the Celtics, I think we'd have been that little bit richer if we'd stayed in MN and kept winning. But that's another area of debate.

To the fans, I am a fan. I care about my teams history I believe we don't acknowledge our early history at all, I believe we only recently acknowledged that history in 2002 (YES eight years ago) in a vain attempt to catch the Celtics. The Lakers have won 16 titles. The L.A. Lakers are still on 11. And as the L.A. Lakers will catch and pass the Celtics with our own L.A. Titles. 

The MN titles were not even thought about in the eighties. According to Roland Lazenby, Dr Buss didn't even care about the Lakers rich history. I find this unfathomable. Read his book called 'The Lakers', you will be enlightened on the subject of the MN Lakers, and the disrespect shown for them.

I said it in another post. Some Lakers fans are attacking Shaq and calling him a traitor. But are you like them? Are you willing to acknowledge that we got help from two Celtics to win our first L.A. Title? Sharman and K.C Jones? Do you hear the Celtics fans on here crying out to have their numbers 'un-retired' or anything as stupid? No. 

The only reason, or should I say (major reason) Shaq isn't in L.A. is because of Kobe. The arrogant man, and a man I personally despise with all my heart after what happened in Denver with Katelyn Faber. Because he doesn't like Shaq. If I was Lakers management I'd retire both their numbers on the same night, I'm sure Kobe would appreciate sharing the stage with Shaq.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: On reitiring Shaq's number : If you were Laker management, we'd be wearing green with shamrocks on our jersey's yelling did li dee. As for Faber, muahahahaha. Oh and celtic acknowledgement of their heroes, who cares! They have to look to the past (60s) because the last 24 years for them is almost on a par with the Clippers. Lastly, who cares how you feel about Kobe. You boston trolls are jealous of his greatness and of course the fact he has 5 championships (soon to be 6). You answered it best "I grew up in in a celtics house". Enough said, enjoy mediocrity RUPotapenko!

The 60's ended 40 years ago.  From 1970 to the present, the C's have won 6 Championships.  I would hardly put the C's in the same boat as the Clippers.  Of course you could say that the C's, like the Clip's, have had their share of tough breaks throughout the years.  It's really too bad Len and Reggie passed away in the 90's because the C's relevance wouldn't even be questioned if they had played out their careers.

And look to the 60's for Celtics heroes?  Larry, McHale, Dennis Johnson and Parrish were in the 80's, not the 60's. 

Tell me something.  I'm obviously a C's fan as are most of my friends.  I've never once said Kobe is terrible, overrated, etc. nor have I taken away from LA the fact that they are a great franchise.  Some of my friends who are Laker fans also recognize that Boston is a great franchise.  How is it that you can't simply acknowledge that fact as well?  As a basketball fan, I would think that you would respect the achievements and players instead of brushing them off and saying that they're awful because they only have 17 championships because of the 60's. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

The voice of reason from a member of the Laker Nation!

I feel like this whole thread ignores several key issues. First and probably most pressing is that the franchise and not the fans retire the jersey. As fans we can argue analytically that the jersey should be retired but management and ownership own that decision. Considering the nasty things that Shaq said about Jerry Buss on his way out of town, I just cant see Doctor Buss honoring Shaq by hanging his jersey in the rafters, regardless of his accomplishments as a laker. Second point. Look at the other names up there. Those players are universally loved and respected by Laker fans not just because of their accomplishments as players but for what they meant symbolically to the franchise. Shaq did win us three titles, and won himself three finals MVP's in the process but even then as laker fans we never showed the same devotion to him that we did to magic, or west, or Kareem.
    Third Shaq, for all his great career accomplishments with the lakers has now decided at the end of his career to play for the lakers arch rivals the Boston Celtics. Leaving the lakers to finish your career somewhere else is certainly forgivable. But playing for the Celtics is unexcusable. To hang the Jersey of an active Boston player up next to Jerry West and Elgin Bailor, completely ignores the history of the rivalry. To even suggest differently is just ignorant and stupid.
    Jerry West was the man responsible for bringing shaq and Kobe to LA and if you asked him whether shaq's jersey should be retired this year when the celtics come to visit as Colin Cowherd suggests you would recieve an emphatic no.
    Retiring someones jersey is the ultimate sign of respect in this sport. And as Shaq has played out his career conducting himself without a single ounce of class he deserves none here. Maybe he gets that respect from some other franchise, but not here.
    Sorry big fella you just dont stack up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

The history of the rivally? What about Sharman coaching and K.C. Jones as his assistant coach for the 71/72 champsionship team? They were both Celtics players last time I looked.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]The history of the rivally? What about Sharman coaching and K.C. Jones as his assistant coach for the 71/72 champsionship team? They were both Celtics players last time I looked.

RUPotapenko- no one cares what you have to say. But enjoy that (*) championship you got in 08, I'm sure you and your family had a whale of a time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

It's sad how quickly it reduces itself to name calling when somebody can't have a discussion and argue their points.

Why can't you answer the question I posed?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrvAlbertsBra. Show MrvAlbertsBra's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: On reitiring Shaq's number : I wouldn't speak for the Laker Nation. Reading what you wrote there, everybody who isn't in the current Lakers team is 'yesterdays news'. We have won 5 titles since Ervin's showtime era. So does that mean he's also 'yesterdays news'? They already gave Pollards number to Andrew, I guess number 99 will be worn by the next Rookie centre as I think half our fan base being uneducated in the history of the game of basketball wouldn't be able to say who wore number 99 for THE LAKERS. Question you need to ask yourself is do we win our titles in 2000, 2001 or 2002 without The Diesel? I don't believe we would have. I do seem to remember that The Diesel won the playoff MVP award in those series as well. Correct me if I'm mistaken. Shaq deserves the recogintion. Cedric Maxwell burned his Celtic bridges and his number was eventually retired. As will Shaqs #34 for the Lakers. If this doesn't happen it'll be yet another example of how poorly we treat our teams history and traditions.

I lost a lot of respect for Shaq when he jeapordized the Lakers chance of 4 straight rings by purposely waiting until September to get surgery on his toe.  Still, he accomplished great things and his jersey should be retired.  But as to your point that the Lakers would not have won championships in 2000 - 2002 without Shaq, that’s true enough, but they would not have won them without Kobe either.  It’s a shame that so many people emphasize Shaq’s contributions to those rings and undermine Kobe’s role, and now overstate Pau’s contribution to the last 2 rings to a much greater than they are willing to give Kobe for the first 3.  Simply, Shaq and Kobe needed each other then, and Kobe and Pau need each other now.  You think Shaq and the rest of that squad minus Kobe would have won?  No way.  And Kobe was deserving of at least one of the Finals MVPs but Shaq was perceived as “the man” on those squads, even though they deserved equal credit for the 2nd and 3rd rings.  

Shaq was a phenomenal player, but here is what I remember about him most.  I remember Shaq watching from the bench (recovering from surgery) as Kobe led the Lakers to one of the greatest 4th quarter comebacks in history, down 27 against the Mavs and they won.  I remember Ben Wallace making Shaq his b*tch in the 2004 Finals, and Kobe being the only reason the Lakers could get even 1 game.  I remember Phil Jackson leaving and Shaq laughing at the Lakers attempts to lure Mike Krzyzewski, calling him “kerr-zoo-ski”.  I remember Shaq being jealous of Penny Hardaway.  I remember Shaq burning bridges in each of Orlando, L.A. and Phoenix.  But he’s an expert at playing the media.  Kobe doesn’t care about perceptions, he cares about winning, and that’s why he is ten times the competitor that Shaq ever was.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

If LA doesn't retire Shaq's number it will be a travesty on par with claiming the five Minny titles as their own while at the same time treating the teams and the players as second class citizens.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

[QUOTE]The voice of reason from a member of the Laker Nation ! I feel like this whole thread ignores several key issues. First and probably most pressing is that the franchise and not the fans retire the jersey. As fans we can argue analytically that the jersey should be retired but management and ownership own that decision. Considering the nasty things that Shaq said about Jerry Buss on his way out of town, I just cant see Doctor Buss honoring Shaq by hanging his jersey in the rafters, regardless of his accomplishments as a laker. Second point. Look at the other names up there. Those players are universally loved and respected by Laker fans not just because of their accomplishments as players but for what they meant symbolically to the franchise. Shaq did win us three titles, and won himself three finals MVP's in the process but even then as laker fans we never showed the same devotion to him that we did to magic, or west, or Kareem. Third Shaq, for all his great career accomplishments with the lakers has now decided at the end of his career to play for the lakers arch rivals the Boston Celtics. Leaving the lakers to finish your career somewhere else is certainly forgivable. But playing for the Celtics is unexcusable. To hang the Jersey of an active Boston player up next to Jerry West and Elgin Bailor, completely ignores the history of the rivalry. To even suggest differently is just ignorant and stupid. Jerry West was the man responsible for bringing shaq and Kobe to LA and if you asked him whether shaq's jersey should be retired this year when the celtics come to visit as Colin Cowherd suggests you would recieve an emphatic no. Retiring someones jersey is the ultimate sign of respect in this sport. And as Shaq has played out his career conducting himself without a single ounce of class he deserves none here. Maybe he gets that respect from some other franchise, but not here. Sorry big fella you just dont stack up.

Who's talking about retiring Shaq's number when he is still an active player?  That would be pretty weird.  How about after he retires?

Most grown ups understand that people move on.  They also understand that the fact that they've moved on does not diminish their accomplishments.

The Bill Sharman-KC Jones coached Lakers are a fine example of this.  Both were integral parts of Celtic championships.  That they coached LA to its first title doesn't take away from what they did as Celtics.

Shaq was the biggest factor in three Laker titles.  To not give him proper credit for that woud be really small-minded.

But I'd bet dollar for donuts that the Lakers do retire his number.  After that maybe they can treat the MN teams and players right.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

To the fans, I am a fan. I care about my teams history I believe we don't acknowledge our early history at all, I believe we only recently acknowledged that history in 2002 (YES eight years ago) in a vain attempt to catch the Celtics. The Lakers have won 16 titles. The L.A. Lakers are still on 11. And as the L.A. Lakers will catch and pass the Celtics with our own L.A. Titles. 

The MN titles were not even thought about in the eighties. According to Roland Lazenby, Dr Buss didn't even care about the Lakers rich history. I find this unfathomable. Read his book called 'The Lakers', you will be enlightened on the subject of the MN Lakers, and the disrespect shown for them.

Truth

and thanks for being the only LA fan that knows it

Buss didn't give diddly squat for the 5 MN titles and their star Mikan... it is far closer to 17-11 then it is 17-16

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Aw there are more of us out there.

I believe if the Lakers had incorporated those titles in their move the majority of NBA fans would accept them as being a continuation of a franchise. It is still The Lakers franchise. But with two very distinct and seperate periods. And this seperation was caused mainly by ownership.

We kept some players, we kept the name. But that's about it. When we needed 5 titles quickly we decided to use the MN titles to catch up to the Celtics.

As I've said before. We will catch you guys legitimately. The test is coming in upcoming seasons. How quickly can LA rebuild and how soon a team can be built around Rondo. I hope both teams don't sink to the depths of the mid nineties. For LA it was diabolical except for a brief return of Earvin Johnson. For the Celtics I'd imgine it was much worse.

It's also interesting that the Lakers have won their titles in batches. 5 in the 50's. 5 in the 80's and in this current run during Bryants era 5. That's pretty cool!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]Aw there are more of us out there. I believe if the Lakers had incorporated those titles in their move the majority of NBA fans would accept them as being a continuation of a franchise. It is still The Lakers franchise. But with two very distinct and seperate periods. And this seperation was caused mainly by ownership. We kept some players, we kept the name. But that's about it. When we needed 5 titles quickly we decided to use the MN titles to catch up to the Celtics. As I've said before. We will catch you guys legitimately. The test is coming in upcoming seasons. How quickly can LA rebuild and how soon a team can be built around Rondo. I hope both teams don't sink to the depths of the mid nineties. For LA it was diabolical except for a brief return of Earvin Johnson. For the Celtics I'd imgine it was much worse. It's also interesting that the Lakers have won their titles in batches. 5 in the 50's. 5 in the 80's and in this current run during Bryants era 5. That's pretty cool!

Nice spelling of Earvin, so glad i could school you. Pity the rest of the post is meaningless.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Ervin Johnson. "Magic" to the public; "Buck" to teammates.  I've heard that his mom called him "Junebug."