On reitiring Shaq's number

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrvAlbertsBra. Show MrvAlbertsBra's posts

Re: On reitiring Shaq's number

I think the "Dodgers" championships include both L.A. and Brooklyn. Do the Braves say they have only 1 title, and not recognize the Milwaukee and Boston titles? Everyone knows the "Raiders" franchise has 3 rings even though 2 are from Oakland and 1 is from L.A.

Again, the failure to celebrate the MN titles until recently is easily explained by ego. You always take more pride in your accomplishments than someone else. When Dr. Buss took over the team, he was trying to get the Lakers over the hump after the disappointments from the 60s and 70s. To hang a bunch of banners for the MN titles would be to let the MN success define the franchise. When the Lakers got more rings under Buss' watch (6) than there were in MN, then it was acceptable to him to embrace those titles also.

Do all you BOS fans think Drew Bledsoe walks around flashing the championship ring that Tom Brady won for him? Steve Young has 3 rings - I wonder which one he wears and which ones are in the safe? That doesn't mean he can't claim all 3, just that 1 has a little more meaning to him. Buss is the owner and naturally, the 10 titles won under his watch mean a little more to him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: On reitiring Shaq's number:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: On reitiring Shaq's number : Who's talking about retiring Shaq's number when he is still an active player?  That would be pretty weird.  
    Posted by paulliu[/QUOTE]

Not as weird as the Heat retiring Michael Jordans number in 1993. If they were doing that, why not retire the number six as well? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Of course Michael took a new number when he came back and then when that jersey had sold sufficently he went back to his old number.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]Please forgive my typo and please refrain from calling me a Celtics fan. I grew up in a Celtics house, I appreciate their traditions and even like them. But do NOT question my loyalty to the L.A. Lakers. And I'll also refrain from personal attacks, that's just lame dude.  The tapestry of Laker Lore? Yes, we have a history that is almost equal to the that of the Celtics, I think we'd have been that little bit richer if we'd stayed in MN and kept winning. But that's another area of debate. To the fans, I am a fan. I care about my teams history I believe we don't acknowledge our early history at all, I believe we only recently acknowledged that history in 2002 (YES eight years ago) in a vain attempt to catch the Celtics. The Lakers have won 16 titles. The L.A. Lakers are still on 11. And as the L.A. Lakers will catch and pass the Celtics with our own L.A. Titles.  The MN titles were not even thought about in the eighties. According to Roland Lazenby, Dr Buss didn't even care about the Lakers rich history. I find this unfathomable. Read his book called 'The Lakers', you will be enlightened on the subject of the MN Lakers, and the disrespect shown for them. I said it in another post. Some Lakers fans are attacking Shaq and calling him a traitor. But are you like them? Are you willing to acknowledge that we got help from two Celtics to win our first L.A. Title? Sharman and K.C Jones? Do you hear the Celtics fans on here crying out to have their numbers 'un-retired' or anything as stupid? No.  The only reason, or should I say (major reason) Shaq isn't in L.A. is because of Kobe. The arrogant man, and a man I personally despise with all my heart after what happened in Denver with Katelyn Faber. Because he doesn't like Shaq. If I was Lakers management I'd retire both their numbers on the same night, I'm sure Kobe would appreciate sharing the stage with Shaq.   
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

You knock Dr Buss so listen to the Mailman and what he has to say about him. I'm guessing your DFury in disguise.

http://cbs2.com/video/?id=141225@kcbs.dayport.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

this should not even come to a discussion, past is past and what he did he is indeed and should have his number retired, him playing for a rival team shouldnt change that at all 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Indeed, it's a surprise that the Bulls haven't retired #45 for Jordan. Although I think in time most people will forget that fact. 

I'm glad Magic stuck with #32 when he came back in 95/96. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: On reitiring Shaq's number : You knock Dr Buss so listen to the Mailman and what he has to say about him. I'm guessing your DFury in disguise. http://cbs2.com/video/?id=141225@kcbs.dayport.com
    Posted by KB24RULZ[/QUOTE]

I'll use Jerry Buss's own words. 

Taken from a book called The Lakers - By Roland Lazenby. My edition is from 1995.

On page 98, "Jerry Buss once explained, the Lakers now mark their beginning from the time they moved to Southern California. What happened in Minneapolis belongs to Minnesota." 

They're Jerry's words, not mine. 

It would appear that we, appropriated the Minneapolis titles earlier last decade in an attempt to catch the Celtics. Which will happen anyway with titles that we win in L.A. 

Why can't you acknowledge our own history when it comes to the shameful way we've treated our time in MN? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]If LA doesn't retire Shaq's number it will be a travesty on par with claiming the five Minny titles as their own while at the same time treating the teams and the players as second class citizens.
    Posted by paulliu[/QUOTE]

If snaq gets his jersey retired, it will be a travsety on par with the likes of boston winning the 2008 title against the Lakers who played without 2 starters, Bynum and Ariza, and boston believing they had a team that could dominate. Boston never won again and in fact the Lake Show put them to bed in 2010 with Bynum again hurt and playing the series on a badly injured leg.

The travesty is the Lakers would have already had a 3-peat but such is life.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

When the Lakers retire Shaq's number you can take your complaints to your hero Dr. Buss.  I'm sure he'll listen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

It's great the worlds greatest basketball franchise can illicit such emotion from boston fans over their greatness. The Minni Lakers have been duly recognized, but the boston faithful need to deflect the fact that their's is a franchise whose relevance will soon be back to where it was pre 2008.

However, I welcome those boston responses because talk of the Lakers only serves to emphasize that the Lake Show is unquestionably the franchise all others aspire to be. Keep posting boston, the Lakers deserve nothing less!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]It's great the worlds greatest basketball franchise can illicit such emotion from boston fans over their greatness. The Minni Lakers have been duly recognized.

That's rubbish talk. Dr Buss didn't care one bit about the Minneapolis years prior to 2002.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAkeravenger. Show LAkeravenger's posts

[QUOTE]In the end Kobe will have 5 rings while Shaq will get his 5th ring this season and Phil Jackson will end his coaching career not winning a title. It could be worse, if somehow the Lakers will make it back to the Finals and face the Celtics, Shaq will get his 5th ring at the expense of Kobe and Phil. 
    Posted by Fierce34[/QUOTE]
    That'll be the fockin day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fitz0527. Show fitz0527's posts

Are there no admins on this board? This guy does nothing but troll yet the sh1t admins don't ban him...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: On reitiring Shaq's number : If snaq gets his jersey retired, it will be a travsety on par with the likes of boston winning the 2008 title against the Lakers who played without 2 starters, Bynum and Ariza, and boston believing they had a team that could dominate. Boston never won again and in fact the Lake Show put them to bed in 2010 with Bynum again hurt and playing the series on a badly injured leg. The travesty is the Lakers would have already had a 3-peat but such is life.

1.  Jeannie Buss said they would retire the number
    2.   Jerry Buss said he doesn't care about the titles
    3.  Ariza played in 2008, and since he has just been traded again, clearly wouldn't have been the difference.
    4. If Bynum didn't get injured in 2008, you wouldn't have Gasol!  THAT is a fact

Other than that, your post is a bunch of BS, and so are you!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Forget snaq, the big minimum. Gasol aka The Spaniard is the man Laker fans want to see have his jersey retired. Nailing the 3-peat this season will only strengthen his crediantials and inarguably will cement the fact that had Bynum/Ariza not been hurt then a 4-peat would have occurred.

Such is life!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Gasol was in Memphis.
    The lakers were in first place.
    Bynum got hurt.................................THEN
    they traded for Gasol
    No injury, no Gasol.................have it on very good authority and even my lakers friends out here in LA say the same thing.  They were NOT pursuing Gasol until Bynum got hurt.  They would NOT have played together in 2008.  Our title is not tainted, and neither is yours....this has been discussed ad nauseum.

AND, I believe the reason you won last year had a lot to do with Artest.
    Trevor Ariza????? PLEASE!!  He played and was a non-factor, end of story!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

[QUOTE]Forget snaq, the big minimum. Gasol aka The Spaniard is the man Laker fans want to see have his jersey retired. Nailing the 3-peat this season will only strengthen his crediantials and inarguably will cement the fact that had Bynum/Ariza not been hurt then a 4-peat would have occurred. Such is life!

We lost this year woulda coulda shoulda never matters with or without Perk we lost. When in 2008 we steam rolled you guy,s those injuries would not have mattered it was the celtics year move on next topic.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]Once the Celtics beat the Heat in next year's playoffs Laker fans would be praying for another Bynum injury so that they would again have an excuse for losing to the Celtics again in the Finals. 
    Posted by Fierce34[/QUOTE]

Sounds a lot like "we aint coming back to L.A" (Pierce).

How'd that work out for ya?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Comparing Shaq to Gasol is an insult to lakers fans everywhere!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Man, so hilarious how KB24 gets schooled in this thread, even by an LA fan, his ignorance about his own franchise and refusal to face the facts about '08 and also how disrespectful Buss was to Minny, are well documented, why he doesn't get the truth is beyond me

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]Man, so hilarious how KB24 gets schooled in this thread, even by an LA fan, his ignorance about his own franchise and refusal to face the facts about '08 and also how disrespectful Buss was to Minny, are well documented, why he doesn't get the truth is beyond me
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

You forget that us in Lakerland don't give a hoot about what beantown has to say about America's franchise, the Los Angeles Lakers. As for RUPotapenko, I suspect that you saw the thread how I schooled him and for the sake of those who didn't see you try to turn it around...hard luck.

Dr Buss, the HOFer and America's grestest sports team owner can do whatever he likes and I for one am proud to say he does. 10 championships under his care is testimony to the 'winning man's' mantra. Perhaps you should turn you're attention to beantown and ask this.....if McFale had not wrecked the TWolves for the sake of his former team where would the celts be today? Hint:

Boston Celtics 2006-07: Won 24-Lost 58!!

Thank god for former players huh lmao. Lest we forget this:

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.