One Possible Path for 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

One Possible Path for 2014

Hypothetical:

Celtics end the season with 24 wins, earning the 5th worst record in the league. On lottery day, the Celtics get some Irish luck and land the 3rd overall pick. Can't get Wiggins, but are able to get Smart or Parker. Internal assessments on the player is good, but DA makes the decision that the player's value in a trade is higher than their assessment. With Rondo and Green entering a solid 5 year window of their prime, its either keep the superstar and grow or do another blockbuster and set yourself up for multiple contending seasons starting in 2014

Trade 1: Sullinger plays his tail off over the season and his value becomes exceptionally high. Celtics are able to package him with future first round picks and Courtney Lee in a deal for the last year of LaMarcus Aldrige's contract and a Mo Williams rental

Trade 2: The Hawks dip into mediocrity this season and its clear that they are more than a few pieces away from a >.500 record. DA trades our top pick and Humphries expiring deal for Horford

Roster for 2014

PG: Rondo (28), Mo Williams (31), Pressey

SG: Bradley (23), Brooks (25)

F: Green (27), Wallace (32)

PF: Horford (28), Olynyk, Bass (29)

C: Aldrige (29), Iverson, Fav

Analysis: Aldrige and Horford and Green would make a formidable front-court. AH & LA together would clean the boards and can work very well in both a half court Rondo led offense and are young enough to run & gun. I think Doc was asking too much of Green to get 6+ rebounds a night. Jeff will benefit from focusing on his 1:1 defense and transition offense. If they can keep up their production, AH & LA together can get you a good 30-40 points per game, taking some of the offensive pressure off of Avery. I bet Brooks can turn into a very solid bench scorer along with Wallace and KO. Add Mo Williams to back up Rondo and we suddenly have some guys off the bench who can shoot the 3. Again, this is all predicated on a lot of assumptions. Perhaps I have this backwards and we use that top3 pick for Alrdige and use Sully and future picks for Horford, either way, I think both players are undervalued just enough for DA to get a deal done with the assets we have and retain Rondo, Avery and Jeff. I think this new big5 can contend for years. 

Salaries: Rondo (12), Horford (12), Alrdige (15) Green (9), Bradley (6), Wallace (10), Brooks (2), Bass (6). Hopefully we can rid ourselves of Wallace's money in 2015 and split that 10M between Green & Rondo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: One Possible Path for 2014

Good post - is the proposed team, with LA and AH, capable of winning a championship? It is possible, if JG develops in to a super star, RR takes his game to the next level, and AB and MB consistenly hit 3-point shots.  

DA and B. Stevens will likely make the call on this before the trade deadline and or next summer.

It will be interesting to watch Humphries this season. Will he be able to elevate his game during a contract year? Will he buy in to B. Stevens defense? Can he win over fans with his rebounding (something sorely missed in Boston)?  

I also will be interested to see M. Brooks. I hope he earns playing time and we get a chance to see his game develop.

DA will look like a genious if either KH or MB have good to great seasons.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Reminder!

This is not a prediction or declaration of fact. This was just a thought experiment. I too am curious thinking about whether this team would have enough to really win it all. I don't LOVE Aldridge as a starting Center but I think he would be great with Rondo offensively, same with Horford. 

I think it would be an equally exciting and fruitful path to keep the 3rd overall pick and wait the three years for the kid to develop into an allstar to win. I just like thinking in terms of windows and Jeff & Rondo's windows are just openning for their prime five years (27-32). I personally think you either sell the picks to build a contending team in 2014 for that 5 year Rondo window, or you sell high on Rondo and Green this year and aim the window for when the franchise player in this draft turns 25ish.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

R9R,

I think you forgot the $10.3M TPE that Celtics have. I doubt that DA'll let it go unused.

Also, can we keep Sully insted of Bass? Please.

AK

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to sinus007's comment:

R9R,

I think you forgot the $10.3M TPE that Celtics have. I doubt that DA'll let it go unused.

Also, can we keep Sully insted of Bass? Please.

AK

I was thinking that the TPE & Humphries could be used interchangably to make the transactions work from a money perspective. In the above scenerio it would be used to make the money match in the Aldridge deal.

Listen, I definitely like Sully and think higher of him than most, but realistically its going to take him a few years to get into his prime and he'd be a waste behind LA & AH. He's definitely our biggest chip.

I  think we keep Bass. I know you all hate him, but I was super impressed with his ability to guard Melo. As long as you're not relying on him to rebound, he's a good role player. He can start and play heavy minutes, or come in off the bench and give you points. He can guard 3-5. He's a hard worker, very strong, affordable contract, and a good locker room guy (meaning no trouble, drama, issues)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

This team or one like it put together by Ainge just might win a title or two.  It is teams that win titles.  It is the current additions around the big three at Miami that is making it possible for titles.  The team you conjured up has potential and a chance if chemistry matches to win a title.