Opinion time again. We should draft........................

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Opinion time again. We should draft........................

After pontificating earlier about not drafting a "project", I thought I might try to make myself more clear with the following:

We should draft 2 NBA ready players this year who fill our needs:

I would love to hear this:

With the 5th pick in the 2014 NBA draft, the Boston Celtics select.....Rodney Hood  - Duke.

With the 19th pick in the 2014 NBA draft, the Boston Cletics select.......Willie Cauly-Stein - UK

Of course, I'm more than willing to trade the second pick for Hayward.  I'm also now on the Green for Asik and Montejunus bandwagon.  (Bass my first choice)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Re: Opinion time again. We should draft........................

It depends on who's available. If the Celtics are in the top 5, someone is going to want to trade for one of Smart/Exum/Randle/Parker/Embiid/Wiggins. It depends on who's left for me. Wouldn't be shocked if DA just gave everyone the bird and drafts Exum (if he's available). 

Big Rodney Hood fan. Lefty shooter/slasher-type. Smooth stroke and has higher shooting percentages than his teammate Jabari. 53%/47%/85% for a triple slash. 6'8" wingspan and 6'8" in shoes according to nbadraft.net. Only 21 years old. Wish he had better rebounding numbers, but I'll admit I haven't watched nearly enough Duke games. I'll see if I can find some more on YouTube. I know the Zona game is up. I'll post if people want to watch. 

WCS is interesting. Defensive 7-footer who runs the floor well (bonus). Very raw offensively, but I heard he's improved a bit (I'll have to watch more of UK too). Boston could use a defensive anchor in the middle (hence the Asik/Sanders discussions that we've had ad nauseum). Seems to me Stevens likes smart players that have value on the defensive side (his teams at Butler always played D) and WCS defintely understands where he needs to be defensively. 

I'm a big James Young fan. I think under the right system he could turn into one heck of a 2-guard. Has really good size for the position and is extremely athletic. Really nice looking jumper. 

Also a HUGE Wayne Selden fan. I'm starting to think that Bill Self might not be THAT great of a coach considering the talent on Kansas this year. Selden can do a lot of good things and would be a legit combo guard.

The Celtics need to come away in this draft with at least one wing player that can score. Team is struggling to score in half court sets. If Rondo fixes that then a big would become a priority too. 

My ideal draft (let's say Celtics have the number one pick):

Andrew Wiggins

Noah Vonleh

Tangent: lots of talk about how there might not be a "superstar" in this draft. I disagree. Under the right coaching I think several guys would have all-star careers and could be considered top players in the upcoming years. I think Brad Stevens is one heck of a coach that could take any talent and make it blossom. Same with Pop. But whoever lands on the Bucks, let's say, has to already be polished IMO. I don't know for sure, but I'd trust a coaching staff of Stevens, Ron Adams (HUGELY IMPORTANT), Larranega (sp?) over whoever the hell is on the Bucks sidelines. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It depends on who's available. If the Celtics are in the top 5, someone is going to want to trade for one of Smart/Exum/Randle/Parker/Embiid/Wiggins. It depends on who's left for me. Wouldn't be shocked if DA just gave everyone the bird and drafts Exum (if he's available). 

Big Rodney Hood fan. Lefty shooter/slasher-type. Smooth stroke and has higher shooting percentages than his teammate Jabari. 53%/47%/85% for a triple slash. 6'8" wingspan and 6'8" in shoes according to nbadraft.net. Only 21 years old. Wish he had better rebounding numbers, but I'll admit I haven't watched nearly enough Duke games. I'll see if I can find some more on YouTube. I know the Zona game is up. I'll post if people want to watch. 

WCS is interesting. Defensive 7-footer who runs the floor well (bonus). Very raw offensively, but I heard he's improved a bit (I'll have to watch more of UK too). Boston could use a defensive anchor in the middle (hence the Asik/Sanders discussions that we've had ad nauseum). Seems to me Stevens likes smart players that have value on the defensive side (his teams at Butler always played D) and WCS defintely understands where he needs to be defensively. 

I'm a big James Young fan. I think under the right system he could turn into one heck of a 2-guard. Has really good size for the position and is extremely athletic. Really nice looking jumper. 

Also a HUGE Wayne Selden fan. I'm starting to think that Bill Self might not be THAT great of a coach considering the talent on Kansas this year. Selden can do a lot of good things and would be a legit combo guard.

The Celtics need to come away in this draft with at least one wing player that can score. Team is struggling to score in half court sets. If Rondo fixes that then a big would become a priority too. 

Andrew Wiggins

Noah Vonleh

Tangent: lots of talk about how there might not be a "superstar" in this draft. I disagree. Under the right coaching I think several guys would have all-star careers and could be considered top players in the upcoming years. I think Brad Stevens is one heck of a coach that could take any talent and make it blossom. Same with Pop. But whoever lands on the Bucks, let's say, has to already be polished IMO. I don't know for sure, but I'd trust a coaching staff of Stevens, Ron Adams (HUGELY IMPORTANT), Larranega (sp?) over whoever the hell is on the Bucks sidelines. 

[/QUOTE]

+1

I would rather go WCS over Vonleh but it’s hard to argue based on Vonleh putting up probably the best advanced stats defensively in the NCAA.  Its just hard to want to take another PF considering we already have way to many (still see them making a trade to counter this i.e. Bass and Hump will be traded). 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Great post, I like Vonleh also.

IF we trade for Asik, though, I'd take a flyer on Saric if he finally comes out.

Like Stevens a lot..........which is why I really, really want Hayward........one way or the other!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

[QUOTE]

Andrew Wiggins

Noah Vonleh

"Wouldn't be shocked if DA just gave everyone the bird and drafts Exum (if he's available)." 

[/QUOTE]

I find it interesting how high this forum is on Exum.  I'm sure almost all of you have never seen him play one full game.  And the highlights we've seen are against international nobodys.

The more and more and more these supposed 'elite' prospects continue to disappoint, the more we start convincing ourselves that these youtube sensations are the next real deal.  And I think it's pathetic.

Unfortunately there's no NBA ready centers coming in the upcoming 'draft of drafts', with a center being Boston's biggest need right now. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

"Wouldn't be shocked if DA just gave everyone the bird and drafts Exum (if he's available)." 

[/QUOTE]

I find it interesting how high this forum is on Exum.  I'm sure almost all of you have never seen him play one full game.  And the highlights we've seen are against international nobodys.

The more and more and more these supposed 'elite' prospects continue to disappoint, the more we start convincing ourselves that these youtube sensations are the next real deal.  And I think it's pathetic.

Unfortunately there's no NBA ready centers coming in the upcoming 'draft of drafts', with a center being Boston's biggest need right now. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not high on Dante Exum. Never seen him play. But given Danny's style, I wouldn't be surprised if he drafted the Aussie. He's a wildcard, but NBA scouts seem to be extremely high on him, hence why everyone else seems to be. 

They're prospects for a reason, but there is no LeBron, KD type player that will be able to take over the league immediately outside of two guys IMO: Jabari Parker and Julius Randle. I think both guys could play right now and have impacts on rosters. Not everyone can come out and be spectacular. Sometimes guys like Paul George need time to develop into the second-best two-way player in the league.

If Boston had the number one pick, I think they'd take Embiid. He's the best center prospect in the draft and he can develop into a monster under the right guys. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

J. Randle (3) and D. Saric (16)! Pick up another late round pick via trade and draft A. Harrison (30)!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not high on Dante Exum. Never seen him play. But given Danny's style, I wouldn't be surprised if he drafted the Aussie. He's a wildcard, but NBA scouts seem to be extremely high on him, hence why everyone else seems to be. 

They're prospects for a reason, but there is no LeBron, KD type player that will be able to take over the league immediately outside of two guys IMO: Jabari Parker and Julius Randle. I think both guys could play right now and have impacts on rosters. Not everyone can come out and be spectacular. Sometimes guys like Paul George need time to develop into the second-best two-way player in the league.

If Boston had the number one pick, I think they'd take Embiid. He's the best center prospect in the draft and he can develop into a monster under the right guys. 

[/QUOTE]

Develop into a monster like who?   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

[/QUOTE]

Develop into a monster like who?   

[/QUOTE]

That's the real question. He gets a lot of Hakeem comparisons, and those are lofty. But he does things that remind of you of him. He's a very fluid athlete for someone that's 7'2" and a 7'5" wingspan. He needs to play more to be honest. He just hasn't logged enough minutes in his life because he hasn't been playing for that long. He makes errors that guys that have been playing for longer don't make. Yeah he's foul prone, but who isn't in the NCAA today? He'll learn how to go up straight to block/alter a shot. 

But he's way more advanced than anyone thought he would be at this point. In an NBA that doesn't have a lot of dominate centers, he'll be a hot commodity. And he might have better footwork than all of them. He can score in the post. He can score facing-up. He can put the ball on the floor and dribble. He eurostepped in a game. He can finish with both hands. He's almost done filling out. He's fluid. He runs the floor like a small forward. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

After pontificating earlier about not drafting a "project", I thought I might try to make myself more clear with the following:

With the 5th pick in the 2014 NBA draft, the Boston Celtics select.....Rodney Hood  - Duke.

With the 19th pick in the 2014 NBA draft, the Boston Cletics select.......Willie Cauly-Stein - UK

Of course, I'm more than willing to trade the second pick for Hayward.  I'm also now on the Green for Asik and Montejunus bandwagon.  (Bass my first choice)

[/QUOTE]

I think it just so hard to look at college players right now because if the C's get sconed in the Lottery again, maybe Danny uses those picks to go after high profile {existing} NBA players. Now, if the Celts do end up with a top 1-3 pick I would take Julius Randle and be happy with whatever else comes along. More than likely, Danny will use a pick {our highest} and then trade one for an existing and hopefully younger player. After the Trade Deadline, I think this debate will be much easier to answer. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Don't date girls named Misty and don't draft guys with hyphens in their names, built in self fulfilling devastation. Notice, I didn't use a hyphen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

We need a big athlete.

No small guards, no soft Canadians, no skinny forwards,.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

we need embiid. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Yeah, all the tough Canadians play Hockey or contact  curling

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't date girls named Misty and don't draft guys with hyphens in their names, built in self fulfilling devastation. Notice, I didn't use a hyphen.

[/QUOTE]

Yes and don't marry girls that think they need a hyphen name as well {her maiden name-your name}. Bad sign right there! LOL!!!!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Thats because I fall down  and make a giant sitzmark right after the picture is taken Mel

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

I'd be thrilled if Cauley-Stein were available at 19.  That would be a great pick.  I'd still love Smart at 5.  Vonleh is another I like, but PF is getting a bit crowded on this roster.  Do we have a second round pick this year?  I'd love to snag Kyle Anderson from UCLA in the second round if possible.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fiercy. Show Fiercy's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

I'd be thrilled if Cauley-Stein were available at 19.  That would be a great pick.  I'd still love Smart at 5.  Vonleh is another I like, but PF is getting a bit crowded on this roster.  Do we have a second round pick this year?  I'd love to snag Kyle Anderson from UCLA in the second round if possible.

No 2nd round pick this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

None of that is happening because you have Danny "I throw white towels in air when opposing player is at free throw line" Ainge.  The man can't pick his nose right and you expect him to improve on Melo Yellow from last year!  I think he traded that pick away for peanuts! 

Pointer

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

What does Ainge throwing a towel have to do with anything?

Typical loser lakers fan.

If a guy can't hit a FT with one person throwing a towel in the air, he doesn't belong in the NBA.

Hey, how's DH working out for the lakers this year??????

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

[QUOTE]

What does Ainge throwing a towel have to do with anything?

Typical loser lakers fan.

If a guy can't hit a FT with one person throwing a towel in the air, he doesn't belong in the NBA.

Hey, how's DH working out for the lakers this year??????

[/QUOTE]

And Steve Nash too (averages 7pts, 5dimes, 2boards for $9.3mm)? OUCH! And Kobe? And D'Antoni? And .... the list goes on. Now LEAVE! fbombfury, don't you have a pillow to cry on somewhere, in private?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No 2nd round pick this year.

[/QUOTE]

First off, very informative and well thought out post hedleylamarr! Good job! Now fierce this is one of your best comments ever as well. You stuck to facts!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for letting us know that. Is this the new and improved 2014 Fierce??? hahaha  See it's not that hard.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Not familiar with this years field. Unless they digressed I still like Glen Robinsons boy (efficient SF)and Russ Smith (Mo Williams type PG)