Orlando Summer League Starts Today!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Orlando Summer League Starts Today!

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

[QUOTE]

Melo and Olynyk must be two of the slowest and lead footed big men on the planet.  At least Olynyk has some moves and a shot.   He'll be tortured on deense and he won't be of any help against a running athletic team, of course.  But, Melo was worse, imo.   He often couldn't catch and his moves are so slow.   He looks like he gained weight and got slower.

Olynyk can play.

Sure he needs to be better on defense, but he's someone who makes scoring look so easy. 

He reminds me of a young Dirk.

[/QUOTE]

I didnt want to be the one, but since you said it, absolutely agree with you. KO is so smooth For 6'11". Looks nice!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

LOL!!   A young Dirk, huh?  That's a good one.  

Olynyk is not a journeyman backup and his offensive game is not just ok, it's great!

It won't take long before Olynyk makes a believer out of you.

I hope you're right.   I see a guy who can shoot and has a few moves, but not an NBA star.   I think he's too slow to be that.   But, I'd love to be proven wrong.   I would love for this team to turn out to be better than I thought within 2 years.   

Given he has a college coach, if Olynyk works hard, he'll get minutes and he'll score because no one will believe he can consistently shoot.  But when the pressure is on and everyone starts playing that 4th quarter D, I believe we'll see big athletic experienced defenders (ie. Not summer league guys who won't make the NBA)  in his face and he won't excel.

We'll see.

C4Life, sorry man, I disaggree with you for sure. The kid was the best player on the floor today in his first go at it. He showed all kinds of versatility and at his size he showed up the rest by a mile. 6'11" lets not forget a d looked like a smooth pro baller. VISION BROTHER, VISION! That is a skilled white boy! PERIOD. And he has a leadership mentality. WATCH. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

Nicholson was a good rookie forward last year.  Orlando counts on him as a rotation player for sure.  And Kelly looked way better than Nicholson already.  Nicholson tried to get in Kell's face and KO did not even pause at shooting his jumper over Nich's long arms.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

1. 56m Baxter Holmes         @BaxterHolmes

RT @ESPNForsberg C's announce signing of 1st-rounder Kelly Olynyk. If C's go 120% of rookie scale; 1st year salary would be about $2 million

From Altamonte Springs, FL, United States

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to postal5's comment:

Nicholson was a good rookie forward last year.  Orlando counts on him as a rotation player for sure.  And Kelly looked way better than Nicholson already.  Nicholson tried to get in Kell's face and KO did not even pause at shooting his jumper over Nich's long arms.

Monroe, KO, Uncle jeff, AB, B-Knight and lettem' play Brad!  Pre-season speculation is a blast!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to postal5's comment:

[QUOTE]

Monroe, KO, Uncle jeff, AB, B-Knight and lettem' play Brad!  Pre-season speculation is a blast!

[/QUOTE]

AND tomorrow the Cs will play the Pistons in Orlando! I wonder if Joe Dumars will seek out DA to state exactly what you have posted above! 

The Pistons would have to throw in a few draft picks as well to get DAs attention! 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Don't forget that Olynyk is not 6-8 like Luke Harangody.

Olynyk is a 7-footer.

A 7-footer that can score like that is a special player. 

Not saying he will be the next Dirk or Larry Bird, but he really is similar to a young Dirk. A guy that can get 16-18 points per game and 7 rebounds per game.

More like Dirk.

Larry Bird was a decent defender before he hurt his back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

[QUOTE]

Olynyk is a 7-footer.

Not saying he will be the next Dirk or Larry Bird, but he really is similar to a young Dirk. A guy that can get 16-18 points per game and 7 rebounds per game.

More like Dirk.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know what game everyone watched.  I don't think KO did all that badly defensively, in fact, I thought he did pretty well and held his own.  Will he be a shot blocker....no, but he wasn't a liability either.  Melo is the liability....not Olynyk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Olynyk is a 7-footer.

More like Dirk.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know what game everyone watched.  I don't think KO did all that badly defensively, in fact, I thought he did pretty well and held his own.  Will he be a shot blocker....no, but he wasn't a liability either.  Melo is the liability....not Olynyk.

[/QUOTE]

Melo was a plus 6. Olynyk was a minus 6.

Melo looked bad, but he defended the rim.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Olynyk is a 7-footer.

More like Dirk.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh, the old plus/minus stat.  Yeah.  Olynyk should be riding the pine tomorrow.  Melo should play the full 40 minutes and the Celtics should win because he was +6.  Melo didn't look good defensively at all.  In fact, there were times when Olynyk boxed his man out and another Orlando player would grab an easy offensive rebound and put it back for the score because Melo was nowhere to be scene on the defensive boards.  Any rebound Fab Melo grabbed was by accident because the ball bounced directly to him.  He looked terrible and clueless.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Olynyk is a 7-footer.

More like Dirk.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sooooo, what is the plus/minus stat telling you?  What are you saying by citing that stat?  Olynyk was -6 and Melo was +6.  By citing that stat, are you saying Melo had a better game yesterday than Olynyk?  Are you saying the Celtics are a better team on the floor when Melo is out there as opposed to Olynyk?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Pressey supplies Celtics bench support in NBA debut     Print Email Missouri v Georgia  

Chri Missouri guard Phil Pressey celebrates after forcing a turnover in first half action during a game between Missouri and Georgia on Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013, at Mizzou Arena in Columbia, Mo. Photo by Chris Lee, clee@post-dispatch.com 

COLUMBIA, Mo. • Former Missouri point guard Phil Pressey made his NBA debut Sunday with the Boston Celtics, coming off the bench to score 11 points in a 95-88 loss to the Orlando Magic in the Orlando Pro Summer League.

Pressey shot the ball well in 19 minutes, 24 seconds of action, shooting 4 of 5 from the field and 3 of 4 from the foul line. He missed his only 3-point attempt and finished with four assists, five turnovers and two steals. His 11 points led all five of Boston’s reserves who saw the floor.

Pressey, who went undrafted after leaving Mizzou with a year of eligibility remaining, signed with Boston shortly after the draft and has a chance to make the roster as a backup option to All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo, who’s recovering from season-ending knee surgery.

In Orlando, Pressey, wearing No. 26, is sharing time in the backcourt with Nolan Smith, who played collegiately at Duke, Darius Johnson-Odom (Marquette) and Spanish guard Jayson Granger. Smith and Johnson-Odom started for the Celtics on Sunday and combined for just nine points on 3-of-11 shooting, two assists and five turnovers.

Rookie forward Kelly Olynk finished with a game-high 25 points for Boston. Rookie guard Victor Oladipo led Orlando with 18 points, seven assists and five steals. The Magic’s summer league roster includes former Missouri player GlenDandridge, who finished his college career at Lambuth in 2007-08. He did not play in Sunday's game.

The Celtics’ five-game schedule in Orlando continues Monday with a 2 p.m. game against Detroit, featuring former Mizzou guard Kim English. Boston faces Indiana at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Houston at 2 p.m. Wednesday and a yet-to-be determined opponent Friday.

Several games are televised live on NBA TV. Here’s thecomplete schedule.

Also competing for time in the Pistons’ backcourt will be first-round draft pick Kentavious Caldwell-Pope from Georgia,Ryan Evans (Wisconsin), Korie Lucious (Iowa State),Khris Middleton (Texas A&M), E.J. Singler (Oregon) andPeyton Siva (Louisville).

Former Mizzou players Alex Oriakhi, a second-round draft pick by Phoenix, and Laurence Bowers, an undrafted pickup by Memphis, along with Marcus Denmon, a second-round pick by San Antonio last year, will play in the Las Vegas Summer League starting Friday.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

I read a tweet from some BBall writer to the effect that "Summer league doesn't tell you who CAN play in the NBA, but it does tell you who CAN'T play in the NBA"....There were many yesterday who clearly can't play in the NBA, but KO is definitely not one of them...I think he can in the right circumstances....he has decent mobility for a large 7 footer (SOME 7 FOOTERS LOOK LIKE PIPE CLEANERS - HE DOESN'T) and he doesn't have those hedious feet that Un-Fab Melo does...Un -Fab needs to take some dancing lessons or something because he has the feet of a man wearing concrete overshoes.

If Un-Fab played decent D around the basket it's only because he lacks the mobility to get back to it if he tried to venture out away from the basket to cover someone in the high post.

I never thought of it that way - interesting tweet! Melo's desire and worth ethic are there, he simply needs to translate those things on to the hardwood during game action! 

It will be interesting to see how KO does during his second outing! He made b-ball fun to watch yesterday, that is for certain! 

Go Celtics!!