Perkins trade and the center position.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Perkins trade and the center position.

I need to fess up, I was one of the first people to sound the alarm after the Perk trade (who I really like as a player and person) but I've been doing some research on some of the defensive metrics in basketball, trying to wrap my head around things and I've come to the conclusion that Danny Ainge made a very good trade for the Celtics and that my panic was wrong. Although Perk could be terrifc for the Thunder as well.

Here is what I have found out. Perk was a terrifc defender as we all know. He had a defensive rating of 99 in his 22 games back. To put that in perspective Kevin Garnet is leading the league in this category at 94. Nenad Krystic before he joined the Celtics was at 110, Tyson Chandler is at 101, Andre Bynum prior to the all star break) 104 and Robin Lopez is at whopping 113. 

So obviously we lost a great defender, but here is the cool part. before the all star break Shaquile Oneil had a defensive rating of 98, and Jermaine O'Neil when he has played has been at 100. Since joining the Celtics Nenad Krystic has improved to 104. 

So if we have either Shaq or JO healthy we are just as defensively sound at center (or close) as we were with Perk, and both Shaq and Krystic's have superior offensive games. We do lose in the rebounding dept. though and that is worrisome.  

Still all in all it looks like we are just find at center if we are healthy in the playoffs and dramtically improved at the wing position, to say nothing of a top ten protected draft pick. 

I do miss Perk, he was one of our guys, but if we can make this mesh in time and can get healthy, we are definetly a better team with future options no less. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Perkins trade and the center position.

We may be fine assuming Shaq is fine, which could go either way.  That's a big if and the part of the trade that is worrisome.  I understand why the trade was made, but it's a calculated gamble.  Just my take. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryMangurian. Show HarryMangurian's posts

In Response to Re: Perkins trade and the center position.:
    [QUOTE]We may be fine assuming Shaq is fine, which could go either way.  That's a big if and the part of the trade that is worrisome.  I understand why the trade was made, but it's a calculated gamble.  Just my take. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

One thing is for certain all these roster moves have upgraded the free throw shooting

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

jtkl, good post.  I HAVE to believe that Shaq is being held out so he can truly heal.  I mean heal so that he isn't out again 3 games after returning for yet another achilles or foot tweak.  He has to be able to take us home.  I anticipate Shaq will miss another 4/5 games so he will be returning with around 15 games left.  Those 15 games should allow him to regain that game shape and re-establish that chemistry with the first unit (or second if Nenad keeps playing well).

I also anticipate soon hearing some update on JON's progress and status for the remainder of the season and playoffs.  If he can also return sometime within that 15 game timeframe, that too, will help.

If we can get 40% of the mins from Shaq, 30% from JON and 30% from Krstic, I think we'll be just fine at the center spot come playoff time.  And then you factor in that in certain situations Baby will be playing in that spot so we'll be fine in the one area of concern going into the playoffs.

IF HEALTHY (which I'm confident we will be), I think we have all the pieces to win banner #18.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

We do lose in the rebounding dept. though and that is worrisome. 

I disagree. We have gotten better in that dept.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: Perkins trade and the center position.:
    [QUOTE]We do lose in the rebounding dept. though and that is worrisome.  I disagree. We have gotten better in that dept.
    Posted by existentialparquet[/QUOTE]

Really? The only thing I checked, was perk versus Krystic where Perk has a definative edge. I didn't compare Perk to Shaq or JO. Are you saying we are better because of them or because of recent additions like Murphy who has been a good rebounder in the past?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

Relegating Krstic to 30% of the min is not realistic at this point. He is our main center & will be baring another future trade..Shaq may get the honorary start but him and JO are shells of the former selves. It is more likely that they will divide 30% of the min. with Krstic taking the lions share. We roll the dice with Krstic and I'm willing to take the bet..