Phil Jackson would choose Russell over Jordan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

Phil Jackson would choose Russell over Jordan

So much for Laker's fans saying that Chamberlain was the best LOL

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9307574/phil-jackson-says-start-team-bill-russell-michael-jordan

If Phil Jackson was picking his own dream team, his squad would start with someone other than Michael Jordan.

"In my estimation, the guy that has to be there would be Bill Russell. He has won 11 championships as a player," Jackson said in an interview with Time. "That's really the idea of what excellence is, when you win championships."

Russell, the centerpiece of the Boston Celtics dynasty in the 1950s and 1960s, won 11 titles and was a five-time Most Valuable Player and 12-time All-Star during his iconic 13-year career.  He also won two NCAA championships with San Francisco and was the captain of the United States' gold-medal-winning team at the 1956 Olympics.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Phil Jackson would choose Russell over Jordan

Nobody ever said Phil was stupid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Of course Phil would chose Russell for the self promoting reason he gave....

"In my estimation, the guy that has to be there would be Bill Russell. He has won 11 championships as a player," Jackson said in an interview with Time. "That's really the idea of what excellence is, when you win championships."

Thats Phil blowing his own horn because of all the titles hes won.

That aside, I agree with Phil.. Id take Russell numero uno

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

+1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

But lakers' fans are Cool

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Jordan has a massive publicity machine behind him.

I'd rank Russell, Magic and Bird ahead of him. All of them made their team mates into better players.

A case against Jordan is how well the Bulls performed in 1994 after his retirement. The Bulls were a very good team. Jordan did make them into a championship calibre team. But the league wasn't at its best when the Bulls were dominant.

Everywhere Russell, Magic and Bird played they had success and they made their teams into genuine championshp contenders. Their college teams became successful when they arrived. Jordan won in college with team mates such as James Worthy and Sam Perkins.

Jordan was great. He has the x-factor that all the true champions have. However I think that Russell, Magic and Bird are just superior players.

Best coach ...... Chuck Daly. Seriously when you see what he had to work with in Detriot it is just amazing. Never had the luxury of having a Russell, Magic, Bird, Jordan etc to work with. Not a fan of the Detriot team at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Skins and Heart's comment:

I'd rank Russell, Magic and Bird ahead of him. All of them made their team mates into better players.

A case against Jordan is how well the Bulls performed in 1994 after his retirement. The Bulls were a very good team. Jordan did make them into a championship calibre team. But the league wasn't at its best when the Bulls were dominant.

Everywhere Russell, Magic and Bird played they had success and they made their teams into genuine championshp contenders. Their college teams became successful when they arrived. Jordan won in college with team mates such as James Worthy and Sam Perkins.

Jordan was great. He has the x-factor that all the true champions have. However I think that Russell, Magic and Bird are just superior players.

Best coach ...... Chuck Daly. Seriously when you see what he had to work with in Detriot it is just amazing. Never had the luxury of having a Russell, Magic, Bird, Jordan etc to work with. Not a fan of the Detriot team at all.

Isiah was a fairly incredible talent who could dominate a game offensively

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

True, but I don't put him in the same class as the other elite players. 

Certainly had that something extra like the other champions. Was their leader but he didn't have the same qualities as Magic and Bird. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Best coach was Red. He invented so much of the modern game, particularly the defense leading to fast break and transition that is still the most effective way to play (see Miami Heat when they are on). As coach/GM he has better track record than Alex  Ferguson (EPL Manchester United legend who is retiring) and Phil. Red not only modernized the game in the States, he brought the NBA to the World, to plant the sead for the globalization of the game that is a huge aspect of basketball now (see China, Brazil, Europe, Argentina, Africa). As for Russell versus MJ; dont' forget the Bulls with MJ couldn't get out of the East to the Finals until 1991 (that is MJs Bulls lost to the Celtics and Pistons twice each from 86-90). By 1991 the Celtics were washed up and the Bulls did beat the Lakers in the Finals who without Kareem where not the show time unit they used to be. Russell had to get through Chamberlain every year; in the 80's it was Bird-Majic; when MJ had the good Celtics and Pistons teams, he couldn't even advance. MJ is the best one on one player no doubt, but couldn't beat the best teams of the era.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Welcome back Sara....you have been missed my friend! ...love the new moniker!! ....and I agree with you on this one.....you bring up some great points!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

It's the same machine that lebron and kobe enjoy as well. Whenever I go to ESPN or some other online forums I see people saying that Russell was not good at all just because he played during the early years of the league.

IMHO, Bird and Johnson are superior to Jordan. I agree with you. But people nowadays like the manufactured narratives that the media produces and feeds them. That's why, the way things are, people won't be discussing Russell or Bird in a few more years. It will be Jordan, Kobe and Lebron, and maybe even Kevin Durant if he becomes more of a media hype project like lebron did.

It also doesn't help that the referees in the league are TERRIBLE. Back in the days of magic and bird players didn't walk 3 or 4 steps like lebron, there was no crab dribble and the game was very very physical. It was really harder to score, more than it is right now, and the same applies Russell and the league during the sixties.