Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable?

In Response to Re: Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable?:
    [QUOTE] Kevin McHale should get more credit for #17 then Danny. We need someone who knows talent, and someone the players like and respect, because i don't think they like or respect Danny!!  Wonder if Jerry West could be talked out of retirement!!
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

OK ... West for GM. I can dig it!

Hmmmmmmm.... Now for coach.... I wonder if Phil Jackson is all that happy in retirement?

Pud

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Re: Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable?

i say we get elgin baylor and pj carlesimo in here toot suite.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Have to agree that Danny has made series of bad moves. Hes always talking about putting players on the block too... I dont think thats a good thing either.

I was for the Perk trade at the time..since he was gonna leave anyway. DA gambled that Shaq would be healthy and it backfired. In addition, it may have had an impact on the vets... Perhaps the Big3 & Rondo felt as a family...a unit that had never been bumped in the playoffs.. peeling Perk off might have undermined that sense of unit..idk

Our draft picks have been bleh..each year so many post optimistically about them, then poof, theyre gone.

Other than the gift from McHale, DA's rack record pretty ugly. Any sense of family gone.. why would a player want to come here knowing our roster shifts so easily ...thats not buliding anything.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable? : Agreed. But I will reserve judgement until we actually see who the Celts get with that Clips pick.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

I will also reserve judgment until next season.  Maybe Danny needs someone else to help with the draft.    Danny also will have the cap space to sign good players to start the rebuilding process.   As I said in another thread, Danny is responsible for signing KG and Ray.  Although, his recent trades and draft picks haven't been the best. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable? : Agreed. But I will reserve judgement until we actually see who the Celts get with that Clips pick.

Reserving judgement is fine but consider it is waiting for a miracle.  The Clips choice looks now like it could be in the low twenties.  The disaster going on here now is monumental.  It all started last Feb. I was for it but having accurate information about Shaq and being realistic about JON's limitations would have been what a good general manager should have done.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Have to agree that Danny has made series of bad moves. Hes always talking about putting players on the block too... I dont think thats a good thing either. I was for the Perk trade at the time..since he was gonna leave anyway. DA gambled that Shaq would be healthy and it backfired. In addition, it may have had an impact on the vets... Perhaps the Big3 & Rondo felt as a family...a unit that had never been bumped in the playoffs.. peeling Perk off might have undermined that sense of unit..idk Our draft picks have been bleh..each year so many post optimistically about them, then poof, theyre gone. Other than the gift from McHale, DA's rack record pretty ugly. Any sense of family gone.. why would a player want to come here knowing our roster shifts so easily ...thats not buliding anything.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Any sense of "family... gone" happened when the ultimate Celtic lunch pail warrior, Leon was tossed away, injured in the line of duty... and discarded.

Cold, cold heart,  Danny.

So much for Red's old adage that the "Celtics are more than a team.. the Celtics are a way of life." Just ask Leon.

In the next scene, we see Perk getting hurt a year later similarly in the line of duty in the PO's, contemplating what happened to Leon and deciding that he wants to protect himself from a similar fate with some financial security.

Can't blame him at all.

Hello Shaq and JON. Adios, Perk.

The team got old and uninspired in a hurry watching this notion of the Celtic family's mythical exceptionality play out.

So here we are, wanting to believe that Beantown is still (and always will be) a special place to play roundball!

Not so.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Because its way too earlly in the season to blame anybody for anyhting. Our guys are older, have some faith, they will be there in the end. If not next year is a total rebuilding, nah overhaul of the entire team. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1954ricky. Show 1954ricky's posts

How about this.
    Dear old Danny boy is the root cause problem for the team’s current dilemma.
    He traded younger players we needed to help our veteran players.
    These younger players would have been a bridge to the future of our success.
    He signs old players that have had limited minutes and injury issues.
    He did not resign players we needed as solid role players in case of injuries.
    Case in point, West was not resigned and Rondo is hurt.
    Fans patience have limits!!
    Danny needs to just step down.
    Thanks for #17 danny, even a blind squirrel can eventually find an acorn.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from c.wright. Show c.wright's posts

Hate to keep talking bout old stuff....but when you trade good players like Westwho is balling for the Mavs' right now, Perkins even Allen who would
    hussle for rebounds at times just to name a few what do you expect
    especially when you don't really get anything in return. Yes, the players
    are older, and skills are deminishing slightly, but some links just don't
    need to be taken away...by the way Glen Davis is playing his heart
    out with the Magic right now grabbing rebounds and scoring The C's
    had all that and it slowly got picked away, and they are younger players
    that could have boosted the older verteran players. Who did all this the
    players or the Manger?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

In response to "Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable?": [QUOTE]This core group’s window was open these past few years and Danny destroyed the chemistry of that opportunity. Posted by 1954ricky[/QUOTE] You're absolutely right...it was his stubbornness to increase pay of T. Allen and Perk and the Cs have been a team of musical chairs. He should be led to the door and let us go through the re- building stages that he put us on the path too...a couple of years too early I must add.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from austinpatriot. Show austinpatriot's posts

I do not understand the angst of the comments.  DA gave us the new Big 3, a championship one year, an almost another year, and a hail-mary-chance last year if Shaq was healthy.  We were way over the cap during all this, and drafting at the end of the first round.  What do you guys expect?  In addition, DA set the team up for a complete reload next year, with tons of money and 2 first round picks, one of which might be in the 11-15 range in a hopefully deep draft.  Of course to get us to the complete reload next year, DA had to pass on resigning non-ALL Star players like Perk, Baby, etc to long-term deals.  I also don't agree with posters who say we should resign RA and KG next year, let's stock the roster with promising young talent, since let's face it, we will not be winning it all next year either.  I think DA realizes this and hopes he can trade RA and PP for some up-and-coming good, young players and draft picks if the money works.  Bottom line, let's be patient, hope for 1 or 2 starting caliber free agents next year, 2 good draft picks, some existing youth (JJ, ETW, AB), Rondo, Bass, Prietius, and maybe Green.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedCoach. Show RedCoach's posts

There were no realistic moves that Danny could have done after winning the title in 2008.  Orlando was not going to trade DH for Perk nor were Utah/NJ going to trade DWill for Rajon Rondo.

If the Perk-for-Jeff Green trade did not happen, we would still have lost to the Miami Heat.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry guys but you're making too many excuses for Danny. I'm with Ricky. Danny tinkered and traded and brought in worse players every year. Then, he took major risks with draft choices (wouldn't Brooks really be helping tonight?). We have nothing to show for our draft choices. Doc is dealing with a different set of players every year! He tore this team apart ( and had some bad luck with Green's condition). Rebounding is critical and he traded our size in Perk, didn't keep Delonte, drafted horribly, took in some real bums with Arroyo, Sasha, Murphy. Players don't want to come to Boston? Danny and his stupid moves show players that there's no love in Beantown.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Perkins is not a good rebounder. He is averaging 5.9 rebounds per game this year while Rondo is averaging 5.1. A point guard is almost getting as many rebounds. Jermaine is averaging 5.5. In theory Jermaine in his advanced age is almost grabbing as many rebounds while blocking more shots that Perk. I don't dislike Perk, and think he brought many things to the table but let take a closer look at his numbers. It is one thing to talk about intangibles like toughness, but grabbing boards come right down to the numbers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]There were no realistic moves that Danny could have done after winning the title in 2008.  Orlando was not going to trade DH for Perk nor were Utah/NJ going to trade DWill for Rajon Rondo. If the Perk-for-Jeff Green trade did not happen, we would still have lost to the Miami Heat.
    Posted by RedCoach[/QUOTE]

Not sure of that at all. If you remember, Rondo moped (got butthurt) on the Cs after the Perkins trade as his play went seriously south for the last 1/3 of the season and we lost HCA.

His play intensity didn't pick up until he was injured, playing with one arm in the 2nd round, Heat series playoffs. By that time, it was too late to salvage the season.

Who knows how things would have turned out if Perk had not been traded. Rondo's swooning would likely not have happened, unless of course the swooning was caused by a stray teasing comment made by POTUS at the WH.

Pud

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable? : I agree. And we would not have gotten that 2012 1st round pick from the Clips. Remember guys, this year's draft is the deepest since the 2003 Draft.

With the Clippers doing so well and more than likely getting into playoffs, I just don't see how their pick will help us at all to get the best talent around in the next draft. Also, considering how Ainge has been drafting lately, well... if you could explain me I would appreciate it.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable? : The draft this year is very deep. Because of the lockout top 5 picks like Sullinger and Barnes opted not to enter the draft last year. So this year's draft is basically last year's and this year's combined.  Even if the Clips pick end up being a mid-first rounder or in the early 20s we would still get a very good player like Austin Rivers.  Again, did Ainge make a mistake by trading Perk? Depends on how Jeff Green turns out and who we get with the Clips pick. OKC had the Lakers in mind when they traded for Perk. Right now the elite teams like the Bulls and Heat don't have a dominant big man. If OKC faces the Bulls or the Heat in the Finals then Perk would not be as important. 

Thank you. I guess I will have to be optimistic. It's just really painful to watch the Celtics having their butts handed over to them night after night. Let's hope Ainge knows what he is doing.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable? : Ainge came to the Celts in 2003. By 2008 we already raised banner 17. That's something Dave Gavitt, Rick Pitino, and Chris Wallace failed to do when they were calling the shots.

Well I agree with you about Danny, the main reason that we have been more competitive is because of the new owners.  They were willing to spend more money than past owners and really wanted to see the Celtics win a championship.  I hope that Pitino never has anything to do with the NBA again.  He is a great asset to college basketball, but failed miserably when associated with the NBA.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

See what Danny gets with the Clips pick?  The Cs pick will be higher in the draft than the Clips pick, the Clips pick will likely yield another player like the two they just got in the draft - a later first round pick that this board thinks is the steal of the draft, the sleeper in the draft, a player that will show that Danny is the best GM in the league, and so on and so forth.....  the Clips pick will be (as Danny is used to picking) a mid to late first round pick that amounts to nothing as usual..... what is really important is what he does with his own pick which could be #1, 2, or 3 if they can get lucky....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]Have to agree that Danny has made series of bad moves. Hes always talking about putting players on the block too... I dont think thats a good thing either. I was for the Perk trade at the time..since he was gonna leave anyway. DA gambled that Shaq would be healthy and it backfired. In addition, it may have had an impact on the vets... Perhaps the Big3 & Rondo felt as a family...a unit that had never been bumped in the playoffs.. peeling Perk off might have undermined that sense of unit..idk Our draft picks have been bleh..each year so many post optimistically about them, then poof, theyre gone. Other than the gift from McHale, DA's rack record pretty ugly. Any sense of family gone.. why would a player want to come here knowing our roster shifts so easily ...thats not buliding anything.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

The trading of Perk hurt our image very badly around the league I suspect.

That's the unspoken reason we lose out on the best free agents!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable? : Any sense of "family... gone" happened when the ultimate Celtic lunch pail warrior, Leon was tossed away, injured in the line of duty... and discarded. Cold, cold heart,  Danny.  So much for Red's old adage that the "Celtics are more than a team.. the Celtics are a way of life." Just ask Leon. In the next scene, we see Perk getting hurt a year later similarly in the line of duty in the PO's, contemplating what happened to Leon and deciding that he wants to protect himself from a similar fate with some financial security. Can't blame him at all. Hello Shaq and JON. Adios, Perk. The team got old and uninspired in a hurry watching this notion of the Celtic family's mythical exceptionality play out. So here we are, wanting to believe that Beantown is still (and always will be) a special place to play roundball! Not so. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

The "We'll take care of you" feeling was our only DRAW!
    Now it's destroyed and it's close to impossible to get that back.
    Now we need a Blake Griffin to draw free agents and cap space.
    Danny lost any credibility in the "You can trust me" category with most free agents.
    If they have an equal choice between teams, working for Danny is ultimately the last resort it looks like.

Reggie Evans
    Delonte
    Tony Allen
    David West all went elsewhere for the same money we offered them.
    Kristic could'nt wait to get out!
    Danny is the reason why!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please help me understand why most discussions don't hold Danny Ainge accountable? : The "We'll take care of you" feeling was our only DRAW! Now it's destroyed and it's close to impossible to get that back. Now we need a Blake Griffin to draw free agents and cap space. Danny lost any credibility in the "You can trust me" category with most free agents. If they have an equal choice between teams, working for Danny is ultimately the last resort it looks like. Reggie Evans Delonte Tony Allen David West all went elsewhere for the same money we offered them. Kristic could'nt wait to get out! Danny is the reason why!
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

David West went to a team with a future - a good young center, a good young point guard, a very good young small forward, a decent bench.... and oh yeah a team that handled the Cs pretty easily..... why is it so hard to see that the Cs have no future and that there is no benefit to being in Boston other than to perpetuate mediocrity?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

We know what this team is capable of even now with the right cast. That potential is greater than that of the Pacers.

Their potential versus ours with Rondo and the upcoming cap space is not advantage Pacers. They don't have Doc Rivers!

Talent without the right coach is Kobe and Shaq before they got Phil Jackson.

The greater potential for winning was with us.

I think players don't trust Danny. He give the impression that if you get hurt playing for him, start packing.