Re: Please, no trades.....
posted at 1/8/2013 7:49 PM EST
1. celtics refusal to bring in an actual back-up pg is baffling. they need a player to conistently play there and provide back-up minutes and attempt to actually run the team.
2. celts will not get past miami in the playoffs with roster as currently constituted, even with everyone healthy. lucky if they even get to the conference finals in a week east.
3. the need for a big man is a screaming, absolute one. failure to bring some decent player (as in someone who can be a top 7-8 player on a contending team) will mean coneding any shot at a title run.
4. personally do not believe giving up sullinger or AB is the way to go. particularly do not like the proposed cousins trade. I am also not a gm so do not know what can be had for some combo of bass, melo, draft pick, green, lee, terry. perhaps not much. one has to realize that teams want what we do not want to give up. you can't get something for nothing.
5. melo will not be any help at all this season - or, at least not enough to make any real difference. it's a shame because defensively he's just what they need right now. he's just super raw and doesn't know the game well enough. his offensive skills are terrible, as in not even close to nba ready terrible. he was completely lost in the pre-season and a few months in the d-league does not an nba player make.
6. as previously stated, parish never had issues except weed. he smoked weed throughout his career and after it. cousins is a different cat altogether. very volatile, serious attitude issues. also lacks real discipline in his game on the offesnive end. parish was VERY fundamentally sound. not the case wit this kid. he's much more skilled and atthletic than parish, but parish knew how to play. they're like polar opposities actually.
7. if fully healthy, wilcox coming back will help but it's not enough on its own.
8. collins is utterly useless and should be nothing but a twelth man at best. all he's good for is like a two minute stint when you have serious foul issues with your bigs. he should be out of the nba actually.
9. AB has shown up everyone (with the exception of garnett) on the defensive end of the court. rondo is no different. hopefully, AB's energy will continue (as it has done in the past few games) to inspire this team and force others to try to meet his effort level. Again, force rondo to play huge minutes and don't bring in a real back-up pg and you're asking for trouble, but even with that said rondo is only 14th in minutes (at 37.5) and still a young guy and should be able to play at a high level for extended minutes . if he's having stamina issues playing the same kind of minutes most players at his level are playing then he may have a conditioning issue.
10. the celtics defensive issues this year have not been about one thing (no shot blockers; under-sized at many positions/injuries/lack of continuity with new players,), but one thing they can control is effort/hustle/aggressiveness. with a great on the ball defender on the court now they can all feed off that (it's like in football having a shutodwn corner can make all the difference). the addition of an actual shot blocking big man would also have a big effect.