PP being bought out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolfamily66. Show coolfamily66's posts

PP being bought out?

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2013/05/26/sports/nh6970927.txt?viewmode=fullstory

What do you all think about PP being bought out? Cant re-sign him if we do that, right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Russell1. Show Russell1's posts

Re: PP being bought out?

In response to coolfamily66's comment:

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2013/05/26/sports/nh6970927.txt?viewmode=fullstory

What do you all think about PP being bought out? Cant re-sign him if we do that, right?

No cant resign him this year. I dont think the author knows anything more about it than we do.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Once Pierce is bought out that means the Celts lose his Bird rights. So the only way the Celts get Pierce back is if the Celts are a team under the cap next season.

Giving Pierce the MLE, if the Celts are over the cap, don't make sense because that would mean the Celts would have to give Pierce 5m. So the 5m cap hit from Pierce's buyout and the 5m from the MLE would mean the Celts just saved 5m from Pierce's original 15.3m.

I don't understand this Pierce buyout thing at all. If they give him $5M , can they or can they not sign him to another deal ? If they give him the $5M buyout and can get him to sign the MLE for $5M , then that would be perfect. The Celtics would save $5M and still keep Pierce. Great. What? You're saying Pierce is now a minimum wage player ? Give me a break. $5M buyout plus the $5M MLE = $10M , that's about right for Pierce. It's not insulting to him and the Celtics get to keep a valuable role player who can come off the bench or still start if need be. Then ask KG to renegotiate , 3yrs @ $7M per , final year with a $3M buyout (whatever) , there's another $5M....Celtics get to keep two very valuable players and they have an extra $10M to play with , then they move Bass, Terry, Lee, Wilcox, Crawford for other (hopefully better) players , that would be the perfect scenerio. Why are you all talking about KG and Pierce like they are stiffs ? So they're not #1 or #2 options anymore, so what. Both guys are still capable of playing 25 minutes a night for 70+ games...plus , Rondo & Sullinger are gonna make things easier for both of them. 

Tell me I'm right about all of this Fierce !

Tell me it's all gonna work out !

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

SAY IT AIN'T SO !

SO THEY PLAY 20 MINUTES A NIGHT IN THE PLAYOFFS, THEY WOULD BE PART OF THE BEST BENCH IN NBA....

I SAY THE RETURN OF RONDO, SULLINGER , A STUD ROOKIE OR TWO (#12 DALLAS PICK AVAILABLE), PLUS AINGE MAKING A GOOD TRADE OR TWO MAKES IT ENTIRELY REASONABLE AND RATIONAL TO EXPECT KG AND PIERCE TO REMAIN EFFECTIVE AND ADD ANOTHER CHAPTER TO THEIR LEGENDARY CAREERS.....AS WELL AS BRINGING ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER TO BOSTON !

COME ON FIERCE , THE CELTICS HAD BRADLEY AND WILLIAMS PLAYING POINT GUARD IN THE PLAYOFFS ! THEIR ONLY BIGS WERE AN INJURED KG AND BRANDON BASS ! IT'S JASON TERRY WHO IS OUT OF GAS, NOT KG AND PIERCE ! THEY HAVEN'T HAD A CENTER IN 2 1/2 SEASONS !

I STAND BY MY TAKE - IF THE CELTICS CAN SQUEEZE $10M COMBINED OUT OF PIERCE AND KG , THEN IT WOULD BE CRAZY TO NOT BRING THEM BACK FOR ONE MORE SEASON. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

Once Pierce is bought out that means the Celts lose his Bird rights. So the only way the Celts get Pierce back is if the Celts are a team under the cap next season.

Giving Pierce the MLE, if the Celts are over the cap, don't make sense because that would mean the Celts would have to give Pierce 5m. So the 5m cap hit from Pierce's buyout and the 5m from the MLE would mean the Celts just saved 5m from Pierce's original 15.3m.

I don't understand this Pierce buyout thing at all. If they give him $5M , can they or can they not sign him to another deal ? If they give him the $5M buyout and can get him to sign the MLE for $5M , then that would be perfect. The Celtics would save $5M and still keep Pierce. Great. What? You're saying Pierce is now a minimum wage player ? Give me a break. $5M buyout plus the $5M MLE = $10M , that's about right for Pierce. It's not insulting to him and the Celtics get to keep a valuable role player who can come off the bench or still start if need be. Then ask KG to renegotiate , 3yrs @ $7M per , final year with a $3M buyout (whatever) , there's another $5M....Celtics get to keep two very valuable players and they have an extra $10M to play with , then they move Bass, Terry, Lee, Wilcox, Crawford for other (hopefully better) players , that would be the perfect scenerio. Why are you all talking about KG and Pierce like they are stiffs ? So they're not #1 or #2 options anymore, so what. Both guys are still capable of playing 25 minutes a night for 70+ games...plus , Rondo & Sullinger are gonna make things easier for both of them. 

Partially correct.  KG cannot renegotiate his deal.  The players union does not allow that.

Pierce may agree to major salary reduction if he sees a path to Championship.  That may take more than Rondo and Sully coming back.  After all, Ray Allen is playing for much less money than the Celts were offering.

If Danny can shed some salary this year and get access to the full MLE this year and next, then Pierce can get the full MLE next year.  This year, the MLE can be used to bring another player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Pierce is not worth 10m anymore. Giving Pierce the 5m MLE plus the 5m cap hit, that will total 10m. It's time Pierce signs for the vet's minimum.

The window is shut. Having Pierce and KG next season will only delay the new era.

It doesn't matter if KG and Pierce will just play 25 minutes per game. Because in the playoffs, they will not play 25 minutes per game. We already saw how awful Pierce was in this year's playoffs.

Time to move on.

Wow, I thought Paul was pretty good this year all said.  I think he has one 10mil year left in him. Just his scoring is worth that.  He played pg for half the season And got assists.  

rough crowd

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

Partially correct.  KG cannot renegotiate his deal.  The players union does not allow that.

Pierce may agree to major salary reduction if he sees a path to Championship.  That may take more than Rondo and Sully coming back.  After all, Ray Allen is playing for much less money than the Celts were offering.

If Danny can shed some salary this year and get access to the full MLE this year and next, then Pierce can get the full MLE next year.  This year, the MLE can be used to bring another player.

If Pierce is waived then the only way he returns is for the MLE. 

The Celts lose Pierce's Bird rights if they buy him out.

And since you're saying the Celts have the MLE, that means the Celts are over the cap. So Pierce can't be signed except through an exception like the MLE.

If the Celts can get sufficiently below the luxury tax lip then they can access both, a MLE and the bi-annual that they did not access last year.  If Pierce agrees, they can buy him out and give him a 1-year biannual exception while using the MLE on somebody else.  That will pay Paul approx 7.5M this year.  They can sign Paul for full MLE next year.  Clearly, this means that Paul has to agree to play for a lot less.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

If the Celts can get sufficiently below the luxury tax lip then they can access both, a MLE and the bi-annual that they did not access last year.  If Pierce agrees, they can buy him out and give him a 1-year biannual exception while using the MLE on somebody else.  That will pay Paul approx 7.5M this year.  They can sign Paul for full MLE next year.  Clearly, this means that Paul has to agree to play for a lot less.

But like I said, what's the point in bringing back Pierce when we know the best case scenario is 7th or 8th seed?

That is where you and I differ.  Depends upon what moves Danny can make.  We over-estimated the roster based upon the run last year and now we are under-estimating the quality after this year.  I will wait to see what moves happen.  Things can get interesting if Danny can get something for Lee and Bass.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Russell1. Show Russell1's posts

That is where you and I differ.  Depends upon what moves Danny can make.  We over-estimated the roster based upon the run last year and now we are under-estimating the quality after this year.  I will wait to see what moves happen.  Things can get interesting if Danny can get something for Lee and Bass.

If Danny can't make a move to get Durant or Lebron then this Celts team is just an 8th seed at best.

Come on, this year was the first time in KG's career that he failed to have a single 20-point game in the playoffs.

Paul Pierce looks old and he's stumbling and bumbling when he tries to drive to the basket.

The time has come, it's time to move on.

Nobody beats Father Time. 

I have to agree. Its time.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:

Pierce is not worth 10m anymore. Giving Pierce the 5m MLE plus the 5m cap hit, that will total 10m. It's time Pierce signs for the vet's minimum.

The window is shut. Having Pierce and KG next season will only delay the new era.

It doesn't matter if KG and Pierce will just play 25 minutes per game. Because in the playoffs, they will not play 25 minutes per game. We already saw how awful Pierce was in this year's playoffs.

Time to move on.

Wow, I thought Paul was pretty good this year all said.  I think he has one 10mil year left in him. Just his scoring is worth that.  He played pg for half the season And got assists.  

rough crowd

Yea most don't understand,  you lose your ONLY point guard and you have to use a FORWARD to lead you team in assists that you end up with more turnovers than normal.  Even Kevin Durants turnoves went up a lot when Russell went down.

Everyone wanting to get to that next era, like it will just be so easy to win again once KG and PP are gone.  If it was that easy then why do we keep seeing the same teams at the bottom of the standings.  The Spurs are similar to us except they have a bench. Their big three aren't any better than our big 3 now.  

Duncan- KG  slight advantage Duncan

Pierce-Manu - slight advantage PP

Parker-Rondo   If Rondo is as good as most say then this is a wash.

Rest of team-  Advantage Spurs

Coach-  advantage who?

Like I said we aren't that far off with what we got.  Why go to a lottery crapshoot which may be 20 years again?   Add to what we got.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Even Danny Ainge said it himself, the Celts are more than 1 player away from being elite, even with KG.

So what if the Celts will take another 20 years before they win a championship again?

Are you afraid that you will be dead by then?

Bringing KG and Pierce back next season is just a waste of time.

Does that mean you won't be interested and will not be posting on it?

and BTW that is your opinion.  Like you have said about 1000 times,  its about the money. For the record are you saying the C's owners don't care about money?  Will they make more money without PP and KG?   Kind of contradicting yourself aren't you?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Even Danny Ainge said it himself, the Celts are more than 1 player away from being elite, even with KG.

So what if the Celts will take another 20 years before they win a championship again?

Are you afraid that you will be dead by then?

Bringing KG and Pierce back next season is just a waste of time.

What a horrible thing to say

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.