PP......what do you do? Rest him? Trade hiim? Come off bench?..how does he recapture his game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

PP......what do you do? Rest him? Trade hiim? Come off bench?..how does he recapture his game?

Past 5 games  shooting  32.9 percent (24-of-73) and 15 percent beyond the 3-point arc (3-of-20).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Re: PP......what do you do? Rest him? Trade hiim? Come off bench?..how does he recapture his game?

Just a pet theory. The Celtics Are REEEALLLLLY bad from 3 point land this year. I'm wondering with Terry, Bradley and Lee struggling from deep, if teams are able to crowd Pierce and KG more. Thus the recent slide in their production?

Like I said just a pet theory. I could be dead wrong. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: PP......what do you do? Rest him? Trade hiim? Come off bench?..how does he recapture his game?

I wouldn't say you're dead wrong.  Honestly, I just don't see any Celtic being "crowded" by any team.  Teams know they don't have to double anyone for any consistent period.  PP commands single coverage alot because teams know he's just not able to convert by shooting over anyone any longer.

Also teams know he's has NO explosion or finishing ability and he's predictable at the rim, it's easy to defend him there too.

With his perimeter shot failing him, it takes way too many shots for him to get his 19 points on most nights.

To answer the thread question, why rest him?  Although I don't think it will ever happen, he needs to come off the bench.  We're not winning too many games now so why not really shake things up.  I'm getting pretty tired of that PP expression after totally messing up at a critical juncture of the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

I wouldn't say you're dead wrong.  Honestly, I just don't see any Celtic being "crowded" by any team.  Teams know they don't have to double anyone for any consistent period.  PP commands single coverage alot because teams know he's just not able to convert by shooting over anyone any longer.

Also teams know he's has NO explosion or finishing ability and he's predictable at the rim, it's easy to defend him there too.

With his perimeter shot failing him, it takes way too many shots for him to get his 19 points on most nights.

To answer the thread question, why rest him?  Although I don't think it will ever happen, he needs to come off the bench.  We're not winning too many games now so why not really shake things up.  I'm getting pretty tired of that PP expression after totally messing up at a critical juncture of the game.

Amen about that expression!!!

Tell him he's like Havlicek and McHale, other Celtic 'greats' (to use PP's favorite term for himself) who came off the bench for the good of the team. Let him come in and try to have his way with the other bench.

Design some stuff for him to actually move from one side of the court to another, maybe catch the ball going TO the basket once in a while instead of that static elbow post-up thing that every team in the league has figured out.

Maybe some of the Ray Allen stuff for him if he can make it through 2-3 sets of screens.

Anything but what we've seen this month.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

well, we obviously need to do some things that doc rivers can't do= big changes.  jeff green was brought into make the incremental "big change" of pierce going to the bench.  you see how well that has worked.  just like we did with ray allen, we are wearing pierce out like an old shoe and green is not feeling his oats- his role changes every night as do his minutes played, ALL THE WHILE that our offensive schemes grow staler and staler with TOO MUCH half court set.

it's not just pierce, it's tempo setting, KEEPING proper mixture of slow and fast tempo and re-arrangement of roles.  doc has accomplished none of it.  and he's not about to.  setting about "trying" something that has continually failed with all things ceteris paribus (being held equal) is the definition of INSANITY.

that is what doc rivers coaching the green has come to- a constant train of failures to adapt and overcome the aging process.  this year and last year he was given the pieces to DO IT with and still failed.  some things never change.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from santafesino. Show santafesino's posts

PP remember me Jordan playing for Washington Wizard...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

at a minimum, he should be coming off the bench and green should be starting. if we can get anything for him, we should trade him...and anyone else we can trade while we're at it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Dont blame PP.. Doc puts him in these positions... riding him like a rented mule... We have Green who needs longer and longer stretches of PT.. nad while PP is stuggling bigtime, DOc keeps him in..

I bet if JG came in a scored 7 quick points...Doc would still yank and ride PP reast of the way..

Bottom line... Doc is not a good NBA coach.. hes the teams friend and cheeerleader and big daddy when things are going well.. His time is over..he should retire tonight or Danny should boot him out..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

Trade him, but I really don't know what other teams are willing to part for him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

There is no fountain of youth my friend! PP needs to be commended for staying at the top of his game as long as he has! 

The villain in this picture is, Father Time, not PP! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Value is becoming worthless.  At this point, it seems lik Pierce is just sticking around to pass a lot of players on stat lists. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

at a minimum, he should be coming off the bench and green should be starting. if we can get anything for him, we should trade him...and anyone else we can trade while we're at it.

Not sure that I agree with you about trading Pierce, but he definitely should be coming off the bench.  Green should be given the opportunity to start and play significant minutes.  Not sure why it hasn't happened yet.  The Celtics aren't winning games anyway.  Since I am attending the game tomorrow, I hope that the Celtics are at least competitve.  It will be great if they can win the game, but I will be happy with a good effort by this team. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Pierce's recent decline and the current six game losing streak has clearly made every player now trade bait.  As much as Pierce should retire as a Celtic, the team has to come first.

What is not working now is not likely to work much better for the rest of the season.  If a playoff spot is possible it is probably only possible with some new players, new energy, etc.

Ainge and Rivers need to decide when they think they can compete again on a nightly basis and make moves accordingly.  Will a few new players can make enough of a difference for this season or should they make moves to compete better for next season?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

After winning six we have lost six.  We should have won four of those games.  After hearing Scal last night I was encouraged to see everyone talking about making trades with everyone on the table.

We will be happy at some point that the alarm went off and we addressed the problems with no other big and no real scoring threat.  Garnett will be the perfect tutor to bring along another big and Garnett will be here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

Doc has to make that decision. The decision he made last year to swap Ray Allen and Avery Bradley was for the good of the team, and now its time to do that again with Pierce. START JEFF GREEN.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

An ageing pocket QB can still play football provided his line protects him as his mobility skills, if he had any, have diminished. In baseball, there is a place for an older athlete at 1st base, desinated hitter or pinch hitter. But in basketball, the only place is limited minutes off the bench! 

PP has been an Allstar and one of the Celtics all time greats. His skills have only diminished due to Father Time !!! He should now, if not traded, only play off the bench. Problem is that he's our leading scorer and Doc hates to give that up. Naturally, he's the leader because, except for KG, and Rondo too on occasion, no one else can put up the offensive numbers. Sully is coming along & could be a leading scorer. As the older Ray Allen can win a ring with Miami, PP can too with a Contender but not to a team in our division like the Knicks but to OKC, the Clippers, Golden State, Memphis, San Antonio etc. If we can't get a quality player in a trade, I'd even let him go for 2 draft picks !!!