Put the 5 Greatest Lakers Against the 5 Greatest Celtics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Put the 5 Greatest Lakers Against the 5 Greatest Celtics

The 5 greatest Lakers would be:

Center: Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Power Forward: Pau Gasol, Small Forward: James Worthy, Point Guard: Magic Johnson and shooting guard: Kobe Bryant.

Put these 5 Laker greats against the 5 Celtic greats and it would be a thrashing with the Lakers sweeping 4 in a 7-game series.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Re: Put the 5 Greatest Lakers Against the 5 Greatest Celtics

This is not about the Celtics.  rsalas is a known lakers troll, and it needs to be moved, please!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Pao Gasol and James Worthy are 2 of the 5 greatest Lakers? You left out Wilt Chamberlin, Shaq Jerry West and Elgin Baylor. Wilt Chamberlin is the biggest person left out. He's one of the best 5 players of alltime. Shaq was in his prime with the Lakers and was their leader when they won 3 championships.
       Worthy was good, but he wasn't even a top 10 Laker of alltime. Gasol? Same story as Worthy. Wilt would have eaten Gasol for lunch.
        My guess is the poster here isn't old enough to remember Wilt and Jerry West when they played.
        I usually don't respond to trolls, but this troll doesn't even know the history of the Lakers. For your education Laker troll, the top 5 Lakers would be: Kareem, Wilt, Magic, Kobe, Jerry West.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

And where is shaq?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

This dude must be 15 years old or something like that... anyways, this thread shouldn't be here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I am not opposed to the post as being ridiculous, pointless etc. We all like to dream & fantasize. What I'm in disagreement with is the sophomoric comment "that it would be a thrashing with a 4 game sweep". Yup, we'll never know but we never would have known if Rocky Marciano who was 49-0 would have beaten Joe Louis in his prime(he did but Joe was old & it was sad to watch & I think it was his last bout). Then they did a computer match because Rocky retired & then, of course, died in a plane crash between him and Cassius Clay & Rocky won, I believe. Many felt he wouldn't have won as Muhammed Ali was too fast but Rocky, amazing at about 190 lbs, took tremendous hits-I don't know if he was ever knocked down-but kept body punching and opponents finally couldn't keep their arms up. I think that's how he won in 13 rounds. Sorry for the escape to boxing but my point is that, although computer generated, it would be interesting to do the same but as we need a bench, list the 10 best Lakers & Celtics. Problem would be as for boxers they needed only add the skills of 2 people & who would take the time, patience, cost etc. to do 20 players.

I think, personally, and I am a long time Celtic fan going back to Cousy days that it would be very close to a 50%-50%. Other than Russell & Parish, the Lakers had the better big men but I would say we were even in ability on all the other positions.

Anyway, my $ .02 cents opinion !!! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

In Response to Re: Put the 5 Greatest Lakers Against the 5 Greatest Celtics:
    I am not opposed to the post as being ridiculous, pointless etc. We all like to dream & fantasize. What I'm in disagreement with is the sophomoric comment "that it would be a thrashing with a 4 game sweep". Yup, we'll never know but we never would have known if Rocky Marciano who was 49-0 would have beaten Joe Louis in his prime(he did but Joe was old & it was sad to watch & I think it was his last bout). Then they did a computer match because Rocky retired & then, of course, died in a plane crash between him and Cassius Clay & Rocky won, I believe. Many felt he wouldn't have won as Muhammed Ali was too fast but Rocky, amazing at about 190 lbs, took tremendous hits-I don't know if he was ever knocked down-but kept body punching and opponents finally couldn't keep their arms up. I think that's how he won in 13 rounds. Sorry for the escape to boxing but my point is that, although computer generated, it would be interesting to do the same but as we need a bench, list the 10 best Lakers & Celtics. Problem would be as for boxers they needed only add the skills of 2 people & who would take the time, patience, cost etc. to do 20 players. I think, personally, and I am a long time Celtic fan going back to Cousy days that it would be very close to a 50%-50%. Other than Russell & Parish, the Lakers had the better big men but I would say we were even in ability on all the other positions. Anyway, my $ .02 cents opinion !!! 
    Posted by mandobello

DUDE...SAME RESULT WE HAVE ALWAYS WITNESSED.....CELTICS WIN.....CELTICS WIN.....CELTICS WINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN..........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Greg Kite, Acie Earl, Gerald henderson, Chris Ford, ML Carr, or any combination of Celtics could beat dem bums.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Your best 5 Celtics at each position?

Move Bill Russell to the power forward & Larry Bird at small forward. Robert Parrish is your center. Dennis Johnson would be your point guard. Sam Jones would be your shooting guard.

Some of you would put Cousy over Dennis at the point. Not me! I want the best 5 man team to go at it from Boston and L.A.

At the center, you Boston fans might feel it sacriligious to move Russell to the power spot & keep him there with Kevin McHale assuming the pwoer.

Either way, this would be the battle of battles.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Russ owned Wilt in his prime, I'm sure he would also own Kareem, best defensive big ever. KG destroyed Gasol in his prime. Bird would destroy Worthy. Kobe and Magic are better than Pierce/Hondo or DJ (who I also would pick in this mathchup only b/c Magic is 6'9" and DJ defended him well) but not by as much to offset our destruction @ the forward spots.

Those 5 Celts would beat your Laker team.

Of course anyone who knows their history would play Wilt and Kareem together. West and Kobe together and that 5 would be much MUCH harder to beat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Your best 5 Celtics at each position? Move Bill Russell to the power forward & Larry Bird at small forward. Robert Parrish is your center. Dennis Johnson would be your point guard. Sam Jones would be your shooting guard. Some of you would put Cousy over Dennis at the point. Not me! I want the best 5 man team to go at it from Boston and L.A. At the center, you Boston fans might feel it sacriligious to move Russell to the power spot & keep him there with Kevin McHale assuming the pwoer. Either way, this would be the battle of battles.
    Posted by rsalas67m

I would sure find a place for John Havlicek.  He could defend three positions, run his man ragged on offense and distribute the ball if he had to.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Young (maybe) and antagonistic (for sure), but this poster makes a point. The Lakers have always looked better on paper (or electrons). But the fact is, the Celtics have nearly always won --- to quote a Boston comic "getthefugoddaheaaahhhhh!!!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

My all-time eight man playoff roatation:

Boston:

Bird
    McHale
    Russell
    DJ
    Havlicek
    Cowens
    Parish
    Sam Jones

LA:
    Baylor
    Worthy
    Jabbar
    Magic
    Kobe
    Chamberlain
    Shaq
    West

Let's rumble.

Apologies for notable omissions such as Cousy, JoJo White,  Jamal Wilkes, Michael Cooper and many others.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

The Lakers already put 3 of their best 5 against the Celtics....that would be in 1969 when Baylor and West teamed up with Wilt....the Celtics brought in an aging team...Russell and Sam were in the final games of their careers....Los Angeles held the better record and home court advantage....the balloons were in the rafters waiting to be dropped when game 7 ended....and...of course...the Lakers lost to the Celtics AGAIN!!!
    I remember watching it live on tv with my friends (they were Laker fans)....game ended well after midnight...I remember it like it was just yesterday!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

...and have a boring, endless argument that could never be won because each side clearly thinks it has the edge and the better players.  Why don't we talk about if the '86 Celtics played the '08 Celtics next?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAkeravenger. Show LAkeravenger's posts

ESPN says:
    "Magic. Kareem. The Logo. Kobe. Shaq. When it comes to superstars, the Lakers are so far out in front of everybody else it's not even funny -- their all-time starting five would crush any other team's; in fact, it might be better than that of the rest of the league's put together. So star-studded is their legacy that I left Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor and George Mikan off my five-man team that opened this paragraph, also neglecting the likes of James Worthy, Bob McAdoo and Gail Goodrich."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

My all-time eight man playoff roatation: Boston: Bird McHale Russell DJ Havlicek Cowens Parish Sam Jones LA: Baylor Worthy Jabbar Magic Kobe Chamberlain Shaq West Let's rumble. Apologies for notable omissions such as Cousy, JoJo White,  Jamal Wilkes, Michael Cooper and many others.
    Posted by paulliu

are you serious that you dont have pierce on that team, you need to be put in an asylum 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thrombosis. Show thrombosis's posts

Kareem, Gasol, Kobe, and Chamberlain cannot really be considered to be lakers.  All but Kobe were sent from their team as established stars with laughably unfair compensation.  And Kobe was sent against the will of the Charlatte Hornets' community only because he is a spoiled euro-snob prima donna who thought he was above fair play even at age 18. Free agency had nothing to do with any of these farces. That's why they are known as the  Fakers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SouthCentralLA. Show SouthCentralLA's posts

No question any great Laker team would absolutely smoke any smeltic team!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Kareem, Gasol, Kobe, and Chamberlain cannot really be considered to be lakers.  All but Kobe were sent from their team as established stars with laughably unfair compensation.  And Kobe was sent against the will of the Charlatte Hornets' community only because he is a spoiled euro-snob prima donna who thought he was above fair play even at age 18. Free agency had nothing to do with any of these farces. That's why they are known as the  Fakers.

Parish, McHale & Dennis Johnson are the result of a trade. It's where you win that counts. Vlade Divac was considered a quality center when traded for a high schooler named Kobe and proved it in Sacramento. What did Gasol win with the Grizzlies? Nothing.

And without Garnett and Ray Allen, the Celtics 1 title in 20 years would never have happened without a trade.

Kareem considers himself to be a Laker before a Buc. He won 5 titles in L.A. You want to call the Lakers, "Fakers," be my guest but their history, including winning back-to-back with 5 titles in the 2000s proves otherwise.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Pao Gasol and James Worthy are 2 of the 5 greatest Lakers? You left out Wilt Chamberlin, Shaq Jerry West and Elgin Baylor. Wilt Chamberlin is the biggest person left out. He's one of the best 5 players of alltime. Shaq was in his prime with the Lakers and was their leader when they won 3 championships.    Worthy was good, but he wasn't even a top 10 Laker of alltime. Gasol? Same story as Worthy. Wilt would have eaten Gasol for lunch.     My guess is the poster here isn't old enough to remember Wilt and Jerry West when they played.     I usually don't respond to trolls, but this troll doesn't even know the history of the Lakers. For your education Laker troll, the top 5 Lakers would be: Kareem, Wilt, Magic, Kobe, Jerry West.
    Posted by mem17

Wilt may be the greatest but he only played 5 years with the Lakers so you have take Kareem over him and Shaq. Elgin Baylor was fantastick. Then I guess Worthy at the small forward and Magic at the point then Jerry West. It's hard to leave a superstar like Kobe off. With the Lakers it's very tough.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

Kareem, Gasol, Kobe, and Chamberlain cannot really be considered to be lakers.  All but Kobe were sent from their team as established stars with laughably unfair compensation.  And Kobe was sent against the will of the Charlatte Hornets' community only because he is a spoiled euro-snob prima donna who thought he was above fair play even at age 18. Free agency had nothing to do with any of these farces. That's why they are known as the  Fakers. Parish, McHale & Dennis Johnson are the result of a trade. It's where you win that counts. Vlade Divac was considered a quality center when traded for a high schooler named Kobe and proved it in Sacramento. What did Gasol win with the Grizzlies? Nothing. And without Garnett and Ray Allen, the Celtics 1 title in 20 years would never have happened without a trade. Kareem considers himself to be a Laker before a Buc. He won 5 titles in L.A. You want to call the Lakers, "Fakers," be my guest but their history, including winning back-to-back with 5 titles in the 2000s proves otherwise.
    Posted by rsalas67m

Mchale was traded in a draft pick swap (the chief was included in this deal) and never played for the team that drafted him originally (golden state), to say he's ineligible due to a trade is like saying the same for kobe, as he was drafted by the hornets. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

Cousy
    Havlicek
    Bird
    McHale
    Russell
    Parrish
    Maravich
    Archibald
    KC Jones
    Heinsohn
    Cowens

vs.

Magic
    Kobe
    Pau
    Kareem
    Shaq
    Wilt
    West
    Worthy
    Baylor

If only we could see it in action...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawaiibob. Show hawaiibob's posts

Look, it's the doldrums between seasons so I'll take a moment to say this. Give me THE MAN in the middle, Bill Russell, and any combination of other Celtic greats and it's clearly a Celtic victory whether it be a straight up sweep (doubtful) or a 7 game epic (more likely). You can make all the arguments you like but the reality is this: Bill Russell is the ultimate winner and difference maker. With him it's a done deal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Right! And since Russ showed that he could handle himself against a 275 lb (all muscle) 7+ footer like Wilt.....tells me he does just fine in today's league....although I think he would join today's generation and hit the supplements and the weight room....and I'm pretty sure that the supplements would be the legal ones....College, Olympics, Pro's....14 titles in 15 years.....no one has ever come even close to this phenominal accomplishment....and probably never will!