Question About Larry Bird in the early 80's...who knows the answer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

Question About Larry Bird in the early 80's...who knows the answer?

Alright so I'm doing a little research on Larry Bird today and I'm looking at his career stats...his 3 pt fg %.  For the career it was .376, that's very good right?  But, in the years 1981, 82, 83, 84 according to what I'm looking at his 3 pt % was .270, .212, .286, .247.  the following year it jumps to .427 which led the league and stayed high the rest of the way.  What was the deal with his shot in those early years?  Just curious. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

Re: Question About Larry Bird in the early 80's...who knows the answer?

Larry Bird was a perfectionist! One year he won the league MVP and during the summer worked on shooting with his left hand because he felt that was a weakness. He even played a whole game shooing with only his left hand to prove how good he was at it. I am sure that he had a strict schedule to work on each aspect of his game including the 3 point shot and as great as he was did become even better with age. This is a man driven with the desire to be the best or at least go down trying.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

yeah- that lefty game was against portland on the feb road trip.  bird was also bored with the trip i think.  he scored about 20 playing lefty that game.  have it on dvd somewhere here.  he was a guy who would make up challenges for himself in order to keep bringing forth improvement in himself.

the low 3% early on is no surprise- when bird played college there was on 3, and when he came into the league it was either the first or second year for the 3 in the nba- nobody had shot that far out before becuase they didn't have to, unless you were in the then defunct ABA.

that old 3 prolonged chris ford's career SEVERAL years!  LOL  the line was so far out then that it was not a big part of the game.  now players are obsessed with it and shooting 300-700 of them a year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I think being a big man in college he didn't shoot many threes.  As a matter of fact I don't even know if there was a three point shot in 1979 when Larry played.

Also he probably got the hang of three pointer after the first few years.  Remember the three point shot did not come into the NBA I think until 1980 or so. It was a whole new thing. Remember Bird later won the first three point contests at the all star game starting in 1986 through 1988.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

i remember watching nc state win the ring in 1983 and there was no 3-point line in college. believe it was for the 1985 season that it first came into being. i remember villanova killing georgetown with it when they won their ring. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

cool, thanks for all the responses!  that must be it acie, I forgot about that, just the fact that the 3 was a brand new thing then, people didnt shoot it out there before, good knowledge

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Question About Larry Bird in the early 80's...who knows the answer?:
    [QUOTE]I think being a big man in college he didn't shoot many threes.  As a matter of fact I don't even know if there was a three point shot in 1979 when Larry played. Also he probably got the hang of three pointer after the first few years.  Remember the three point shot did not come into the NBA I think until 1980 or so. It was a whole new thing. Remember Bird later won the first three point contests at the all star game starting in 1986 through 1988.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Nope, 3-point line didn't come to the NCAA 'till 1985-86. Which only makes your point stronger.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

but bird shot over 40% on 143 attempts in his rookie year before cutting back to 74 attempts in his second year. why cut back and stay back on attempts for four years after he'd already tasted the success the shot could bring? dunno. nice find, mac.