Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised

Why is it that thousands of white people chase 2 or 3 black men down the streets of Boston every year in what is known as the Boston marathon? Sounds a lot like the days of slavery if you ask me. That kind of racism never happens in L.A. It is no wonder Bill Russell was so ashamed to be a Celtic. I'm just sayin'

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised

http://newsone.com/entertainment/sports-entertainment/associatedpress3/boston-will-give-celtic-great-bill-russell-his-own-statue/

When the Celtics retired his No. 6 jersey in 1972, Russell refused to attend the ceremony. But in recent years, Russell has visited Boston and has praised the city for changing. In 1999, Russell attended a ceremony by the Celtics to re-retire his jersey and received a long standing ovation that brought him to tears.

Thus endeth the lesson!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

So it took him 27 years to attend the re-retirement of his jersey?  WOW!!!  That is even longer than it took the Celtics to finally win another championship. He must have been really bitter towards that racist town.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

In Response to Re: Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised:
    [QUOTE]So it took him 27 years to attend the re-retirement of his jersey?  WOW!!!  That is even longer than it took the Celtics to finally win another championship. He must have been really bitter towards that racist town.
    Posted by koberulz[/QUOTE]

Once again you schooled russ, the remark about it took longer than what it took to win another championship is priceless!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Says the city known for the L.A. riots... :/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

In Response to Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised:
    [QUOTE]Why is it that thousands of white people chase 2 or 3 black men down the streets of Boston every year in what is known as the Boston marathon? Sounds a lot like the days of slavery if you ask me. That kind of racism never happens in L.A. It is no wonder Bill Russell was so ashamed to be a Celtic. I'm just sayin'

Hahahaha! As soon as you move out of your parents' place and have to live in the lower income districts such as Watts, East LA, or Inglewood, you will have the personal direct pleasure of experiencing racism LA style. As a matter of fact, that scenario happening is a lot more realistic than Chris Paul signing with the lakers. Can't wait till you graduate and find your own place! I'm just sayin'.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised:
    [QUOTE]Why is it that thousands of white people chase 2 or 3 black men down the streets of Boston every year in what is known as the Boston marathon? Sounds a lot like the days of slavery if you ask me. That kind of racism never happens in L.A. It is no wonder Bill Russell was so ashamed to be a Celtic. I'm just sayin'

Have you ever heard of the LA marathon dimwit?  How about the LA riots?...

Sounds to me like youre the racist for even bringing this up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

Theres more racism in hollywood and LA then there is in the entire NE! Seriously does every single black person want to work on Tyler Perrys show? Combine that with the fact that you have more gangs that promote racism than almost an city in the US , LA RIOTS remember them , Kareem ... you have no room to talk. You w/e trolls do to spew their garbage.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Make as many excuses as you wish. It still does not change the FACT that the greatest Celtic of all time still hated playing for your racist town. That speaks volumes. I'm just sayin'

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

[QUOTE]Make as many excuses as you wish. It still does not change the FACT that the greatest Celtic of all time still hated playing for your racist town. That speaks volumes. I'm just sayin'

Until you can claim to have lived in the '50s and '60s anywhere in the U.S. you cannot comment on racism back then.  There are a lot of current NBA citiies Russell would have found repugnant back then -- and rightfully so.  Times change.  The Red Sox had a racist ownership. No African-American would have dared walk through South Boston.  The antics of Louise Day Hicks embarrassed everyone.  That's in the past.  And by continuing to bring it up, you are making no point whatsoever.  Go and watch your Rodney King videos.

And grow up while you're at it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Number6Fan, thanks for backing my statement that Bill Russell despised playing for the Celtics. Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised : Until you can claim to have lived in the '50s and '60s anywhere in the U.S. you cannot comment on racism back then.  There are a lot of current NBA citiies Russell would have found repugnant back then -- and rightfully so.  Times change.  The Red Sox had a racist ownership. No African-American would have dared walk through South Boston.  The antics of Louise Day Hicks embarrassed everyone.  That's in the past.  And by continuing to bring it up, you are making no point whatsoever.  Go and watch your Rodney King videos. And grow up while you're at it.
    Posted by Number6Fan[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  KC Jones told me a story when I worked at his camp.  Seems the Celtics were playing an exhibition game in the South, and they went into  a restaurant.  When the guy wouldn't serve Russ, KC, Sam and Satch, Red took the team and got up and left.  KC said Red was tough, but you always knew he had your back!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Redley34, sure you worked in a basketball camp, and sure KC Jones told you a story. Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised : Until you can claim to have lived in the '50s and '60s anywhere in the U.S. you cannot comment on racism back then.  There are a lot of current NBA citiies Russell would have found repugnant back then -- and rightfully so.  Times change.  The Red Sox had a racist ownership. No African-American would have dared walk through South Boston.  The antics of Louise Day Hicks embarrassed everyone.  That's in the past.  And by continuing to bring it up, you are making no point whatsoever.  Go and watch your Rodney King videos. And grow up while you're at it.

I agree with the Red Sox 100%.  I think a lot of "ignorant" people will base their opinions of Boston on the Yawkey Red Sox.  He was pretty bad, as he wouldn't even give Jackie Robinson a tryout.  But, like you said, times change for the better.  Want to talk about racists?  Try John Thompson, Kareem, and the late Bear Bryant (no relation to koME)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

[QUOTE]Number6Fan, thanks for backing my statement that Bill Russell despised playing for the Celtics. 

I did nothing of the sort.  Russell decried racism in Boston; he did not despise playing for the Celtics.  He loved his team, and he especially loved and respected Red -- there probably wasn't another coach for whom he would have played as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

[QUOTE]Make as many excuses as you wish. It still does not change the FACT that the greatest Celtic of all time still hated playing for your racist town. That speaks volumes. I'm just sayin'

Hey at least Bill Russell is well loved in the town Eagle, and the rest of Colorado, and as a bonus, he didn't have to buy his wife an "i'm sorry" 4 million dollar ring. That speaks volumes. I'm just sayin'

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Guess this could never happen in LA   opps that is LA

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

Koberulz, Laker nation

How is boston racist WHEN THEY HAVE A BLACK GOVERNER.....
    HOW was he overwhelming elected???....HES black...right...so according to you...people from mass dont like blacks...but we have a BLACK GOVERNER.....SO your proved wrong...BOSTON is NOT RACIST NOW..

Places like LA are more racist...We in boston dont have black vs. mexican gang wars or black vs. white race wars like what happened with OJ....

Russell loved playing for RED...Russell is writing a book about RED and The Celtics....Russell liked the city...The issue he had was with the media....

RED is the celtics.....

So if russell hated boston why does he like red.....

ussell once said, “Whenever I leave the Celtics locker room, even heaven wouldn’t be good enough because anyplace else is a step down.” As with the championship Knick teams I played on in the ’70s, the bond among players lasts a lifetime. You share with them the memories of being young and on the road in America, playing a game you love, performing before the crowd, and proving yourself to your teammates and yourself. You never forget your teammates’ loyalty and how you returned it in full measure, and how that trust and mutual respect allowed you to be a champion.

Bill Russell is a private, complex man, but on the subject of his love of Red Auer­bach and his Celtic teammates, he’s loud and clear. He might object to my use of the word “love,” but deny it though you will, Mr. Russell, that’s what sits at the heart of this beautiful book.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

Russell once said, “Whenever I leave the Celtics locker room, even heaven wouldn’t be good enough because anyplace else is a step down.” As with the championship Knick teams I played on in the ’70s, the bond among players lasts a lifetime. You share with them the memories of being young and on the road in America, playing a game you love, performing before the crowd, and proving yourself to your teammates and yourself. You never forget your teammates’ loyalty and how you returned it in full measure, and how that trust and mutual respect allowed you to be a champion.

Bill Russell is a private, complex man, but on the subject of his love of Red Auer­bach and his Celtic teammates, he’s loud and clear. He might object to my use of the word “love,” but deny it though you will, Mr. Russell, that’s what sits at the heart of this beautiful book.

Bill Bradley, a former player for the New York Knicks and a former Unite
    d States senator from New Jersey, is a managing director of

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

to give credit those came from....

Life Coach

Published: June 5, 2009

SO LAKER TROLLS....DID RUSSELL REALLY DESPISE PLAYING IN BOSTON..WHEN HE SAID....
    “Whenever I leave the Celtics locker room, even heaven wouldn’t be good enough because anyplace else is a step down.”

HIS WORDS.........

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

While Russell still has sore feelings towards the city, there has been something of a reconciliation;[82] and he has even visited the city on a regular basis in recent years, something he never did in the years immediately after his retirement.[82] When Russell originally retired, he demanded that his jersey be retired in an empty Boston Garden.[83] In 1995, the Celtics left Boston Garden and entered the FleetCenter, now the TD Garden, and as the main festive act, the Boston organization wanted to re-retire Russell's jersey in front of a sellout audience.[56] Perennially wary of the "racist" city of Boston, Russell decided to make amends and gave his approval. On May 6, 1999 the Celtics re-retired Russell's jersey in a ceremony attended by Russell's on-court rival Chamberlain, along with Celtics legend Larry Bird and Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. The crowd gave Russell a prolonged standing ovation, which brought tears to his eyes.[83] Russell was visibly shaken at this outpour of adoration. He thanked Chamberlain for taking him to the limit and "making [him] a better player" and the crowd for "allowing [him] to be a part of their lives."[56]

On December 2, 2008, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and The Mayor's Office of New Bostonians awarded Russell the 2008 We Are Boston Leadership Awards. Russell, who according to the mayor flew a "red-eye flight" to be there, attended the annual event with his daughter. He was visibly grateful and shared anecdotes of racial bigotry when he first came to Boston as a player and bought a home in Reading, Massachusetts. Russell congratulated the mayor on wanting to be a "mayor for all of Boston" and commented that it was a city that truly changed.

LAKER TROLLS THATS FROM RUSSELLS WIKI....

HERES SOME QUOTES FROM RUSSELL HIMSELF....

While Russell still has sore feelings towards the city, there has been something of a reconciliation;[82] and he has even visited the city on a regular basis in recent years, something he never did in the years immediately after his retirement.[82]

Perennially wary of the "racist" city of Boston, Russell decided to make amends and gave his approval. On May 6, 1999 the Celtics re-retired Russell's jersey in a ceremony attended by Russell's on-court rival Chamberlain, along with Celtics legend Larry Bird and Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. The crowd gave Russell a prolonged standing ovation, which brought tears to his eyes.[83] Russell was visibly shaken at this outpour of adoration. He thanked Chamberlain for taking him to the limit and "making [him] a better player" and the crowd for "allowing [him] to be a part of their lives."[56]

On December 2, 2008, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and The Mayor's Office of New Bostonians awarded Russell the 2008 We Are Boston Leadership Awards. Russell, who according to the mayor flew a "red-eye flight" to be there, attended the annual event with his daughter. He was visibly grateful and shared anecdotes of racial bigotry when he first came to Boston as a player and bought a home in Reading, Massachusetts. Russell congratulated the mayor on wanting to be a "mayor for all of Boston" and commented that it was a city that truly changed.

See also

SO MY LAKER TROLLS YOU ARE SO OWNED...THANKS FOR PLAYING....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

I dont care where your from or who your team is. As long as you add something to the discussion your ok with me. I cant respect trolls and just cant take you serious. You do realize you come off like this ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

are trolls trying to write under other egos now........

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

why are we even still responding to this post?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]why are we even still responding to this post?

Yeah its awesome. It's a post about how a black dude who played in a mostly white city in the 60's didn't like the racism that he endured.  You know...in the 60's.

What a shocker.