Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none.

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none.:
    [QUOTE]Another somewhat stellar performance by Mr. Rondo in directing the Celtics to another victory, this time minus the Big Three.  According to many on this forum, Rondo only accomplishes what he does because he has 3 future Hall of Famers to pass to.  Today, he had 20 points on 8 of 17 from the field and 4 of 7 from the free throw line.  Not perfect, but he can score when needed.  He had 16 assists and not one was to KG, PDub, or Ray Ray!  Wow, that must be some kind of myth buster!  The 16 assists continues a streak of double-digit assist games accomplished by only two other point guards in the 50+ year history of the NBA, but Rondo is not even one of the top 25 plus point guards according to some pundits, most notably milk Dud and Pud(dle).  He almost had a quadruple double today if he just could have gotten 4 more rebounds and 2 more turnovers (humor)!  How many point guards get that close?  We can't count KoMe in the turnover department, because he almost averages double-digits in that category (sarcasm).  Regardless, I am still of the opinion that Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none!" As Always,
    Posted by JamLock[/QUOTE]

-

Thanks for the great thread, J-Lock.

I wanted to write one with a similar title, but I'm on a time delay broadcast.

a) Rondo makes everyone around him better.

b) He is the smartest player on the floor every night.

c) He gives the game what it needs on a game by game basis (see tonight).

d) He's still young and improving, not even close to the player he will be in his prime.  Look out!

e) He's taken his game to a new level since the beginning of the season.

Naysayers and negative-nellies are endemic to the Boston Sports scene.  But short-sightedness, negativity, and the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately mentality do not make for great analysis.

Rondo: best point-guard in the league, bar none.

-

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kobedaman. Show kobedaman's posts

No Rhondo is not the best pg in the association for all the obvious reasons.  Westbrook is better than Rhondo and Coach K said so!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I think Rondo is a revolutionary ball player.  Steve Nash is the only other guy I've seen play point the same way--going into and through the paint and then back out and passing to guys going the opposite way, going in!  His vision is unbelieveable.

Those who want him to score 20 pts. a night, which I have no doubt he could do, somehow lose sight that he is playing with "The Big Three."  Like any PG his job is to distribute.  Furthermore, he is playing for a consumate PG as a coach and a SG as a GM--I think Rondo is playing the way THEY want him to play first and foremost.

Playing against any other PG in a series, I have never seen him look bad or lost or out of place or "Oh, I wish we had that guy!"  The one guy that I've seen him struggle with is Rose, but Rose must score to have his team win, and RR doesn't need to do that.

Finally, I saw a game a few weeks ago and RR stole the ball and went on a 1 on 3 fast break and at some point he turned his head, looked back for his players, and waved them up while dribbling one on three--you don't think that would be
    frustrating for Rondo?  Give him some young fresh legs and he could rip teams apart.  Keep your head, keep Rondo where he is.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerstroll. Show Lakerstroll's posts

Can't shoot straight. Can't make free throws. There is more to being a great point guard than just penetrating and dishing. When you talk about the greatest, you have to be talking about the whole package: Shooting, playmaking, free throws, defense. Everything. You can be great, or even the greatest at some of these things but that doesn't make you the greatest. When Magic first came into the league he threw bricks from outside. It wasn't until he was feared from way out that he became the greatest because he was already the greatest at everything else.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : - Thanks for the great thread, J-Lock. I wanted to write one with a similar title, but I'm on a time delay broadcast. a) Rondo makes everyone around him better. b) He is the smartest player on the floor every night. c) He gives the game what it needs on a game by game basis (see tonight). d) He's still young and improving, not even close to the player he will be in his prime.  Look out! e) He's taken his game to a new level since the beginning of the season. Naysayers and negative-nellies are endemic to the Boston Sports scene.  But short-sightedness, negativity, and the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately mentality do not make for great analysis. Rondo: best point-guard in the league, bar none. -
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

Obviously, I am a big Rondo fan and I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said.  Is he perfect?  No, but who is?  Is he a master at his craft?  Quite apparently and at several things he is superior to most of his contemporaries.  Does he make mistakes?  Sure he does; who doesn't?  Does he make others around him better?  That's a no-brainer; an unequivocal yes!  Does he strike fear into most of his opposition?  Absolutely, just look at the number of GMs from other teams that tried to disparage him so they could try to get him from the Celtics for peanuts in return!!  Danny Ainge ain't no fool which is more than I can say for the large "trade Rondo segment" that pervades this forum quite often.  As he continues his growth and development in the Association, he may not only be known as "the best point guard in the Association, bar none" but as "the best point guard to ever play in the Association."  Stay tuned!!!

As Always,

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]No Rhondo is not the best pg in the association for all the obvious reasons.  Westbrook is better than Rhondo and Coach K said so!
    Posted by kobedaman[/QUOTE]

This is a joke, right?  Great humor!

As Always,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]I think Rondo is a revolutionary ball player.  Steve Nash is the only other guy I've seen play point the same way--going into and through the paint and then back out and passing to guys going the opposite way, going in!  His vision is unbelieveable. Those who want him to score 20 pts. a night, which I have no doubt he could do, somehow lose sight that he is playing with "The Big Three."  Like any PG his job is to distribute.  Furthermore, he is playing for a consumate PG as a coach and a SG as a GM--I think Rondo is playing the way THEY want him to play first and foremost. Playing against any other PG in a series, I have never seen him look bad or lost or out of place or "Oh, I wish we had that guy!"  The one guy that I've seen him struggle with is Rose, but Rose must score to have his team win, and RR doesn't need to do that. Finally, I saw a game a few weeks ago and RR stole the ball and went on a 1 on 3 fast break and at some point he turned his head, looked back for his players, and waved them up while dribbling one on three--you don't think that would be frustrating for Rondo?  Give him some young fresh legs and he could rip teams apart.  Keep your head, keep Rondo where he is.
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]

Great post!  I agree 100%.

As Always,

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

One can say he is the best distributor perhaps, but overall he is the fifth best point guard in the league. One would have to ignore some giant holes in his offensive game (outside shot; ability to finish; free throws; consistency) to rank him any higher than that. I  suppose one coul possibly argue his merits aginast the likes of Russell Westbrook and Deron Willimas (though even that's a stretch), but to say he is better than Derrick Rose or Chris Paul is simply ridiculous. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kobedaman. Show kobedaman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : This is a joke, right?  Great humor! As Always,

Not a joke at all.  Someone already mentioned four other point guards that are better than Rhondo.  No offense, but I'll take Coach K's opinion over a bias C's fan. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : Not a joke at all.  Someone already mentioned four other point guards that are better than Rhondo.  No offense, but I'll take Coach K's opinion over a bias C's fan. 

Quite likely you meant "biased" Celtics fan.  As it is with all opinions, there is a litany of purported experts who I could cite to make my argument more compelling, not the least of whom is Doc Rivers, whose opinion I would value much more so than a Coach K.  Not to disparage the expertise of the other posters that express there are four other point guards better than Rondo, but their opinions carry the same weight as say mine or even yours for that matter.  Moreover, for someone to have a handle such as yours, KoMedaman, one thinks he's about 6 rings and a whole lot of character short in several more years in the NBA from being Bill Russell, the man.  Enough said.  You have a good day.

As Always,

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

Not that last night's game was a barometer of perfect basketball, but it was noticeable that Mr. Rondo's return to the lineup signified a more efficient and effective offensive flow.  He didn't score a point but dished out 15 helpers and no matter who was on the floor with him, the ball was where it needed to be to make it easier for the scorer.  Among other reasons, this is an example of why Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none" and the reason why the Celtics have a better than average chance of hanging banner #18 in the Garden in June!

As Always,

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from McHale2Bird. Show McHale2Bird's posts

[QUOTE]Not that last night's game was a barometer of perfect basketball, but it was noticeable that Mr. Rondo's return to the lineup signified a more efficient and effective offensive flow.  He didn't score a point but dished out 15 helpers and no matter who was on the floor with him, the ball was where it needed to be to make it easier for the scorer.  Among other reasons, this is an example of why Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none" and the reason why the Celtics have a better than average chance of hanging banner #18 in the Garden in June! As Always,

You must be drinking too much green kool-aid. As much as I love Rondo, he is clearly not the best PG in the NBA. There are many point guards that can hit a clutch free throw and that is a huge part of being the ball-handling guard at the end of games. Until Rondo can do this, he will not be close to the best in the league.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : You must be drinking too much green kool-aid. As much as I love Rondo, he is clearly not the best PG in the NBA. There are many point guards that can hit a clutch free throw and that is a huge part of being the ball-handling guard at the end of games. Until Rondo can do this, he will not be close to the best in the league.
    Posted by McHale2Bird[/QUOTE]

We do all have opinions, don't we?  I can respect yours, as little as it's worth, no matter what you drink!  Watch the upcoming playoffs and discover why mine might be the most salient.  Until then, I will continue to espouse that Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none" on his way to becoming "the best point guard in the Association, ever."  Enjoy the ride, I will!

As Always,

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

Tonight's game was riveting and a lot closer than it had to be, with the Celtics not scoring the last 4 minutes of regulation in losing an 8 point lead.  The OT segment, however, made the game memorable.  Rondo on an off-shooting night scored 17 points (none bigger than the first 4 points of OT), grabbed 14 rebounds (including 3 offensive), had a what's new 12 assists (some spectacular, others displaying his complete vision of the court) and 4 steals.  To be fair, he had some miscues too: 6 turnovers (barely missing a quadruple double by a measly 4 TOs!) and getting his 17 points on a KoMe like 7 of 22 from the field.  Most notable of the misses was the KG dunk which I believe was the next-to-last Celtics FG in OT, where Rondo dismissed Teague & Collins on a spectacular, show-me-the-ball spin move and KG finished strong.  If the Celtics BIGS begin to run with Rondo (as KG did) more often expecting him to miss, which he sometimes does (humor, sarcasm?), there would be more offensive rebounds to make the Celtics virtually unstoppable in their quests for banners 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 (you get the point!) before he retires!  Not bad on an off night for "the best point guard in the Association, bar none!"

As Always,

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I said in a post awhile back when there was talk about a possible Rondo for Gasol trade that Rondo is a fantastic athlete and I think if trained he'd been a great soccer or tennis player. This is pure speculation but I think in a decathalon competing with a group of some basketball peers, he'd win 7 or 8 out of 10 events.

I've even said that I feel he and A. Bradley could turn out to be one of the best duo PG combinations in Celtic history. I've also said he can drive to the basket as good as any of the other star scoring PGs.

Re: His suspension I said in the first game thread " Some refs are complete Turkeys and many are former athletes & should realize players get emotional & not easy when one feels wronged on a play to bite your tongue but it would be egregious for Rondo to be suspended another game as the video shows he followed the ref talking to him & stepped on the ref’s foot & fell forward."

In short, I like Rondo. But here's my question: Would you trade him even up for D. Howard ?  I think that he and Bynum are the best big men duo in the game.  Since the McHale, Parrish & Bird days we do not dominate in the paint. We are a good jump shooting team but need to shoot 45-50 % as we almost always get out rebounded. Wouldn't it be nice to be 10+ in rebounds and have a center block some shots too which could give us the ball again for more chances so we could win just shooting 35-45 %. Personally, I'd like keep our team intact if we can't get Howard & we can't w/o giving up Rondo & draft a couple of banger centers & develop them. With Green & Wilcox returning, although not centers, they are good rebounders.

Amazing though that Pierce played PG in game 2 when Rondo was out and was fantastic. However, at his age, I don't recommend he switch to PG !

Again, I'd like some opinions on a straight up trade of Rondo for Howard. Whom do you think is more valuable to a team ???

My vote would be I would do it as great dominating BIG MEN are more difficult to get than PGs..heck we could draft Doc's son & who knows ???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

[QUOTE]Tonight's game was riveting and a lot closer than it had to be, with the Celtics not scoring the last 4 minutes of regulation in losing an 8 point lead.  The OT segment, however, made the game memorable.  Rondo on an off-shooting night scored 17 points (none bigger than the first 4 points of OT), grabbed 14 rebounds (including 3 offensive), had a what's new 12 assists (some spectacular, others displaying his complete vision of the court) and 4 steals.  To be fair, he had some miscues too: 6 turnovers (barely missing a quadruple double by a measly 4 TOs!) and getting his 17 points on a KoMe like 7 of 22 from the field.  Most notable of the misses was the KG dunk which I believe was the next-to-last Celtics FG in OT, where Rondo dismissed Teague & Collins on a spectacular, show-me-the-ball spin move and KG finished strong.  If the Celtics BIGS begin to run with Rondo (as KG did) more often expecting him to miss, which he sometimes does (humor, sarcasm?), there would be more offensive rebounds to make the Celtics virtually unstoppable in their quests for banners 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 (you get the point!) before he retires!  Not bad on an off night for "the best point guard in the Association, bar none!" As Always,

I like your thinking!!!!  As bad as he played he had a triple double.  The offense looked back to normal.  Players got the ball in their sweet spots.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : I like your thinking!!!!  As bad as he played he had a triple double.  The offense looked back to normal.  Players got the ball in their sweet spots.
    Posted by jdm894g[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  I watch every second of every Celtics game and have done so for much of the last 10+ years (love my DVR and NBA League Pass).  I really believe Rondo is the best point guard in the Association and will likely become the best ever given time and barring a career-ending injury.  He believes it and he plays the game the right way -- pass first if at all possible.  Yet, he has all these other skills that don't get as much noteriety as his passing (rebounds and steals) and he is still coming into his own as a shooter, improving year by year.  Does he have flaws?  Who doesn't?  What is difficult for me to understand is the immense negativity that pervades this forum regarding one of the most gifted and unique talents to ever hit the NBA hardwoods.  In any event, I will conclude with:

As Always,

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]I said in a post awhile back when there was talk about a possible Rondo for Gasol trade that Rondo is a fantastic athlete and I think if trained he'd been a great soccer or tennis player. This is pure speculation but I think in a decathalon competing with a group of some basketball peers, he'd win 7 or 8 out of 10 events. I've even said that I feel he and A. Bradley could turn out to be one of the best duo PG combinations in Celtic history. I've also said he can drive to the basket as good as any of the other star scoring PGs. Re: His suspension I said in the first game thread " Some refs are complete Turkeys and many are former athletes & should realize players get emotional & not easy when one feels wronged on a play to bite your tongue but it would be egregious for Rondo to be suspended another game as the video shows he followed the ref talking to him & stepped on the ref’s foot & fell forward." In short, I like Rondo. But here's my question: Would you trade him even up for D. Howard ?   I think that he and Bynum are the best big men duo in the game.  Since the McHale, Parrish & Bird days we do not dominate in the paint. We are a good jump shooting team but need to shoot 45-50 % as we almost always get out rebounded. Wouldn't it be nice to be 10+ in rebounds and have a center block some shots too which could give us the ball again for more chances so we could win just shooting 35-45 %. Personally, I'd like keep our team intact if we can't get Howard & we can't w/o giving up Rondo & draft a couple of banger centers & develop them. With Green & Wilcox returning, although not centers, they are good rebounders. Amazing though that Pierce played PG in game 2 when Rondo was out and was fantastic. However, at his age, I don't recommend he switch to PG ! Again, I'd like some opinions on a straight up trade of Rondo for Howard. Whom do you think is more valuable to a team ??? My vote would be I would do it as great dominating BIG MEN are more difficult to get than PGs..heck we could draft Doc's son & who knows ???
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]

I would NOT trade Rondo straight up for Dwight Howard.

As Always,

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : I would NOT trade Rondo straight up for Dwight Howard. As Always,

I admire Rondo's BBall myself...   and often ridicule the ROndo haters that gravitate to this board.   But I'm not sure I like him as much as you.   WHat player(s) in the NBA (any position) would you trade Rondo for - straight up?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

He may not score like a CP3 or Westbrook, but he rebounds and dishes out the assists.  So it all equals out in the end.  he has more of an imprint on the game than most othe guards who are shot first, dont rebound and very few assists.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakerfaker. Show lakerfaker's posts

[QUOTE]Tonight's game was riveting and a lot closer than it had to be, with the Celtics not scoring the last 4 minutes of regulation in losing an 8 point lead.  The OT segment, however, made the game memorable.  Rondo on an off-shooting night scored 17 points (none bigger than the first 4 points of OT), grabbed 14 rebounds (including 3 offensive), had a what's new 12 assists (some spectacular, others displaying his complete vision of the court) and 4 steals.  To be fair, he had some miscues too: 6 turnovers (barely missing a quadruple double by a measly 4 TOs!) and getting his 17 points on a KoMe like 7 of 22 from the field.  Most notable of the misses was the KG dunk which I believe was the next-to-last Celtics FG in OT, where Rondo dismissed Teague & Collins on a spectacular, show-me-the-ball spin move and KG finished strong.  If the Celtics BIGS begin to run with Rondo (as KG did) more often expecting him to miss, which he sometimes does (humor, sarcasm?), there would be more offensive rebounds to make the Celtics virtually unstoppable in their quests for banners 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 (you get the point!) before he retires!  Not bad on an off night for "the best point guard in the Association, bar none!" As Always,

I have respect for your team and your favorite player, but are you saying that if our bigs would run more because Rajon is going to miss a layup we would get more offensive rebounds?  They should expect him to miss a layup?  And this would make your team unstoppable?  Pretty wild reasons for supporting Rajon as the best point guard bar none.  You said that your offense flowed so well with Rondo back on the court?   I watched the game and there wasn't much flow to it for either team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakerfaker. Show lakerfaker's posts

I would have to say I would do that trade for Howard,  if there is not a back problem.  Rondo is a fine player but he is not the best in the league and will never be the best ever.  Just out of curiosity what is the Celtics record without Rondo this year?  Not insinuating anything, just wondering.  (not counting the last 3-4 games where EVERYONE was sitting out)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Not that last night's game was a barometer of perfect basketball, but it was noticeable that Mr. Rondo's return to the lineup signified a more efficient and effective offensive flow.  He didn't score a point but dished out 15 helpers and no matter who was on the floor with him, the ball was where it needed to be to make it easier for the scorer.  Among other reasons, this is an example of why Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none" and the reason why the Celtics have a better than average chance of hanging banner #18 in the Garden in June! As Always,

Not quite sure which game you were watching but game 3 vs the Hawks was not my definition of a more efficient and effective offensive flow. In fact, offensively we looked horrible and stagnant.

The ball wasnt moving at all... On several occassions Rondo dribbled down the shot clock and chucked up a prayer. Even in the 4th qtr, Rondo started driving and getting his game together (finally) and then went over board taking so many shots (wild ones at that) and of course his trademark open layup gag..

Look, I love Rondo when he brings it... i can live with his shooting problem, which I think is improving.. but lets keep it real. Rondo didnt bring it in game 3 for over 3 quarters... I dont care about a triple double.. his main function is running the offense and pushing the ball... he did little of either.,

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : Not a joke at all.  Someone already mentioned four other point guards that are better than Rhondo.  No offense, but I'll take Coach K's opinion over a bias C's fan. 

Situational!   Coach C was selecting a point guard for the situation (need shooters in the International game).  That's not Rondo's game and Coach K was right.  If you need a shooter on the floor, pick Westbrook.  If you need a floor general and you have scorers but you need to get them the ball in their situations and run fast breaks - take Rondo.  

Rondo is definitely top 5 and all the debaters who deny otherwise are crazy.  Rose is tops IMO.  Parker and CP3 have to fight for number 2.  Rondo is right behind them.  Some will argue DWill or Westbrook and I can definitely see their arguements if you want a true scroing PG.   If you want a rebounding, passing, floor general - you take Rondo over DWill and Westbrook.  

It all depends on what you're looking for on your team - and only Parker, Rose, and CP3 are better than Rondo in my opinion.