Randolph the Rebounder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Randolph the Rebounder

Not sure why this guy never looked good enough to get playing time in his other NBA stops, but he is a ferocious rebounder since joining the Celtics.

He does not jump real high, is not the tallest guy on the floor, is not the fastest guy and I am sure that he is not doing more rebounding drills than the rest of the team, BUT he is showing that rebounding is much more of a personal choice and commitment than the rest of the team.

If the other Celtics were to watch and then try to emulate this guy I think that the team would have a much better regular season record than they do and would be a much larger threat to do well in the playoffs.

If this guy was getting "starter minutes" (and could maintain his intensity for those 30+ minutes) he might be averaging almost 20 boards a game.

Doc, please make a highlight video of this guy's box out skills and hustle rebounds for the rest of the team to watch as the Celtics have not had such a dynamic rebounder in a long time.

And, for you guys who get real nervous when there are "too many" threads created, please relax.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: Randolph the Rebounder

I doubt he would average 20 boards a game since no one else does.  He is however our best rebounder by far.  Why he isn't getting more minutes is beyond me.  What he lacks in talent he makes up for just in rebounding alone.  We need rebounding and size in the worst way.

We continually try to shuffle 4-5 guards in every game and get something out of one of them a game,  sometimes two.  Doc loves his small ball.

Personally I would love to see this lineup,

Randolph

KG

PP

AB

Crawford

Bring Green, Wilcox, and pick a guard,  sprinkle in just a few minutes of White.

Maybe we would have enough size to start doing something.

Randolph 9 rebounds in 16 minutes last nite, 2-3 of them were pure hustle.  Even Wilcox has been playing better since Shav started getting his minutes. Wilcox plays very few minutes last nite and was productive when in.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Randolph should have started last night with KG against a big team like Brooklyn.

Doc will probably figure that out at some point.

I think doc is a great coach, but I agree with you on this one. Randolph grabbed 9 boards in 16 minutes.  His rebounding rate is one of the best in the league. His defense isn't bad either, and he's even shown some offensive flashes. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

i really like this....dude......he's a winner , plain

and simple......i see his future the same as or similar

to KURT RAMBIS during his time with the...."SHOW-TIME

LAKERS".........the CELTICS must keep......

"KUNG-FU"  RANDOLPH.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

OneOnOne, I think you're on to something.  I like that lineup.  Seems that Doc is doing alot of tinkering with the lineup but he has yet to put KG back at the PF spot.  Green looks lost sometimes in the starting lineup.  What is it with him and the lack of consistency.

It seems that when he's in there with Pierce and KG, he doesn't look to be as aggressive.  He defers too much to them when he should look to take over.  He would relieve PP and KG of alot of the scoring burden if he decided he wanted to be unstoppable and drop 20 per night.  He can do that on the Celtics.

For Randolph, his energy changes the game.  Yes, it does affect the game.  He makes the opposition pay a little more attention to the boards because they know the Celtics won't simply relinquish the rebound and sprint down court to set our defense.

I'd really like to see Randolph and KG play significant minutes together.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

OneOnOne, I think you're on to something.  I like that lineup.  Seems that Doc is doing alot of tinkering with the lineup but he has yet to put KG back at the PF spot.  Green looks lost sometimes in the starting lineup.  What is it with him and the lack of consistency.

It seems that when he's in there with Pierce and KG, he doesn't look to be as aggressive.  He defers too much to them when he should look to take over.  He would relieve PP and KG of alot of the scoring burden if he decided he wanted to be unstoppable and drop 20 per night.  He can do that on the Celtics.

For Randolph, his energy changes the game.  Yes, it does affect the game.  He makes the opposition pay a little more attention to the boards because they know the Celtics won't simply relinquish the rebound and sprint down court to set our defense.

I'd really like to see Randolph and KG play significant minutes together.

Petey,

I am not sure about Green yet.  He was pretty aggressive last night,  I think he had the most shots by far,  so he was not deferring against Brooklyn.  I kind of thought all those layups against Miami wouldn't happen against the bigger teams,  as they would take that away from him.

Doc has tried every variation of the small ball.  I would like to see some variations of big ball.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Randolph would make us a better team if he had 30 minutes a night and Wilcox had the other 18.  Doc does not seem to notice that we are a better team with a center in the game and KG playing power forward.  It is sad but players like Randolph can show up great but get limited minutes.  It is most likely too late to give Randolph the minutes he would need playing with the first unit.  Pierce seems to notice his worth but Doc Rivers for whatever reason does not.  Doc is planning to make a run with Bass which makes us small and a poor rebounding team.  Jeff Green would show up better as a rebounder but the sets that the Celts run, has him out of position a lot of the time.  Some GM will recognize the value of a good all around player like Randolph and give him a shot next year.  We actually look like a NBA team with Randolph in the game with Paul, KG, and Green.  The offensive sets the Celts run are lacking in player and ball movement.  The sets are very predictable and thus they are easier to defend.  We had a short run after the injury to all world Rondo, but Doc let it die.  Doc is the coach and Doc does have the players for a better than averave offense but he gets too much slack from the board and Danny, who has done a good job of collecting talent for Doc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to maryngary's comment:

Randolph would make us a better team if he had 30 minutes a night and Wilcox had the other 18.  Doc does not seem to notice that we are a better team with a center in the game and KG playing power forward.  It is sad but players like Randolph can show up great but get limited minutes.  It is most likely too late to give Randolph the minutes he would need playing with the first unit.  Pierce seems to notice his worth but Doc Rivers for whatever reason does not.  Doc is planning to make a run with Bass which makes us small and a poor rebounding team.  Jeff Green would show up better as a rebounder but the sets that the Celts run, has him out of position a lot of the time.  Some GM will recognize the value of a good all around player like Randolph and give him a shot next year.  We actually look like a NBA team with Randolph in the game with Paul, KG, and Green.  The offensive sets the Celts run are lacking in player and ball movement.  The sets are very predictable and thus they are easier to defend.  We had a short run after the injury to all world Rondo, but Doc let it die.  Doc is the coach and Doc does have the players for a better than averave offense but he gets too much slack from the board and Danny, who has done a good job of collecting talent for Doc.

Randolph signed on a 10 day contract a month ago.  Doc is playing him more than any other coach ever has in the NBA.

Posts like this crack me up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Randolph signed on a 10 day contract a month ago.  Doc is playing him more than any other coach ever has in the NBA.

Yeah, but I think he is earning more minutes. His rebounding numbers are staggering. per 36 minutes 14.2 a game. He isn't the second coming of moses malone, but he is looking like he could be a very effective role player. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:

Yeah, but I think he is earning more minutes. His rebounding numbers are staggering. per 36 minutes 14.2 a game. He isn't the second coming of moses malone, but he is looking like he could be a very effective role player. 

He is far and away our best rebounder not matter how much he has played, where he has played or how many times he has failed at this level.  I can live with his flaws if he rebounds the ball.  Its obvious he gets trash points as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

He is earning more minutes, he is playing well. I agree he should play more.

I just don't get finger pointing. He just got off his second 10 day contract two weeks ago.

It takes time for guys to work themselves into the rotation. it always has, it always will.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

I just don't get finger pointing. He just got off his second 10 day contract two weeks ago.

It takes time for guys to work themselves into the rotation. it always has, it always will.

I agree. I don't think anyone expectd him to be as good as he's been. Otherwise he would have had a contract. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I agree. I don't think anyone expectd him to be as good as he's been. Otherwise he would have had a contract. 

That was my only point. Not that Ainge made a good signing, or that Doc is giving him a chance. It's all about how stupid Doc is when Doc is the only guy to ever give him a real shot.

I am sure Randolph doesnt think Doc is stupid, I am sure Randolph thiinks Doc is amazing for giving him a chance.

People are so negative round these parts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

That was my only point. Not that Ainge made a good signing, or that Doc is giving him a chance. It's all about how stupid Doc is when Doc is the only guy to ever give him a real shot.

I am sure Randolph doesnt think Doc is stupid, I am sure Randolph thiinks Doc is amazing for giving him a chance.

+1
    You are so right, that it makes a lot of people her look stupid!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Not sure why this guy never looked good enough to get playing time in his other NBA stops, but he is a ferocious rebounder since joining the Celtics.

He does not jump real high, is not the tallest guy on the floor, is not the fastest guy and I am sure that he is not doing more rebounding drills than the rest of the team, BUT he is showing that rebounding is much more of a personal choice and commitment than the rest of the team.

If the other Celtics were to watch and then try to emulate this guy I think that the team would have a much better regular season record than they do and would be a much larger threat to do well in the playoffs.

If this guy was getting "starter minutes" (and could maintain his intensity for those 30+ minutes) he might be averaging almost 20 boards a game.

Doc, please make a highlight video of this guy's box out skills and hustle rebounds for the rest of the team to watch as the Celtics have not had such a dynamic rebounder in a long time.

And, for you guys who get real nervous when there are "too many" threads created, please relax.

+111 No super hops...good defense for now..Offense +-. Boxing out ..OK but!! the thing is he is in there putting out the maximum effort as well as a desire to succeed. You don't train this ..it comes from within, Can he make a difference maybe?? but he is a keeper until he shows otherwise. Give him some more practice and playing time and he becomes a LP++

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsince1958. Show celticsince1958's posts

Randolph should have started last night with KG against a big team like Brooklyn.

I doubt it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

I think this is an excellent point. No one has given Randolph big minutes ever in his career. Doc is doing it.  If Sullinger doesn't get hurt does this hapen. Probably not. But it didn't  happen with any other coach either. 

Scouting is part spotting talent and part luck. Doc and Danny scouted a guy tearing it up inthe chinese league, that includes players like Tracy McGrady and decided to give him a chance. It turns out he can play. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Randolph said himself that he didn't deserve a spot on the team with Washington before he got cut.  That tells me right there he actually does have a head on his shoulders. How many players thiink they should have been cut?   Appears to have good instinct for the ball.  Again all I am saying is he is our best rebounder.  Does anyone disagree with that?

I watched time after time last nite KG and Bass not putting a body on a Net and they got the rebound or slapped it back out to their guards.  

If he is that much better rebounding  why wouldn't we have a extra big on the floor instead of 3 guards?

Not sure if it was directed at me but I never said anything about Doc other than I would like to see this kid get more time.  How obvious does it have to be that we need size and rebounding?

IMO small ball would only be effective playing the Heat.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

Randolph said himself that he didn't deserve a spot on the team with Washington before he got cut.  That tells me right there he actually does have a head on his shoulders. How many players thiink they should have been cut?   Appears to have good instinct for the ball.  Again all I am saying is he is our best rebounder.  Does anyone disagree with that?

I watched time after time last nite KG and Bass not putting a body on a Net and they got the rebound or slapped it back out to their guards.  

If he is that much better rebounding  why wouldn't we have a extra big on the floor instead of 3 guards?

Not sure if it was directed at me but I never said anything about Doc other than I would like to see this kid get more time.  How obvious does it have to be that we need size and rebounding?

IMO small ball would only be effective playing the Heat.

I wasn't replying to you.  I replied to a post that said over and over how Doc was really screwing up with Randolph. My point is I bet Randolph goes to bed every night thanking Doc for saving his career.

I agree he should get more minutes, I don't agree that doc is stupid for not doing it up to now.  As i said the guy just signed a month ago and was 12th man just two weeks ago.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Why do you think Doc won't try some big ball?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

He reminds me of Francona.  he is loyal to the guys that he has been with the longest. i think he would play bigs if he trusted them. 

it is a weakness no doubt,  but it is also why his players like him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

He reminds me of Francona.  he is loyal to the guys that he has been with the longest. i think he would play bigs if he trusted them. 

it is a weakness no doubt,  but it is also why his players like him.

I wonder how much the bigs like him?  Of course we haven't had that many that could contribute.  Of course I thought the big we gave to Cleveland for nothing  could help, he played well when he started.  Steamer I thought played well as well.  I know we had no control over him leaving for that price tag.    Now Randolph.  None of them ever got as much time as I would have liked to see.  Then we turn around and give minutes to Collins.  Go figure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i'm thinking that will be the summer of 2016 as doc is taking a fairway shot or sipping skotch somewhere. 

to date he has "figured out" frighteningly little on who should play what when and where in his years in boston.  the big 3 were pre-determined and the rest has just been a festival of ADD

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

i'm thinking that will be the summer of 2016 as doc is taking a fairway shot or sipping skotch somewhere. 

to date he has "figured out" frighteningly little on who should play what when and where in his years in boston.  the big 3 were pre-determined and the rest has just been a festival of ADD

if he has ADD you think, he'd regualrly doing the crazy lineups you ask for.