Ray Allen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RondoIsHustle. Show RondoIsHustle's posts

Ray Allen

I read a history in this link:

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/boston_celtics_ray_allen_continues_to_out_work_everyone/3479117

So I really dont see Ray Allen slowing down so much;he´s 35 but i can see he playing in a very good level for more 4 years i guess.

And you guys how many years do you think this guy could play?

(I´m not talking about necessarily for the celtics,i am asking you how many years do you think he could play in the Nba an still be effective)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Re: Ray Allen

Ray playing 4 more years in the NBA is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. Guards rarely play into their late thirties. Jordan did and it was a mistake.
       It's always sad to see a once great athlete play too long. It's especially sad in boxing, ie Ali and Duran.. Even in baseball it's sad. Willie Mays and Hank Aaron played a few years too long. If I were Ray, I would play out my 2 year contract and cross the bridge to play any longer at that time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think Ray has 2, maybe 3 years remaining.  Honestly, I think Ray should be a backup SG.  Ray would be so much more effective being a 6th or 7th man coming in providing long range shooting.  If Ray were a backup who averages about 20-25 minutes per game, he'd be so much more effective than he is being a starter.  I wish we had a capable SG (maybe Marquis who's been working on his 3-point shot this offseason) who could conceivably start in front of Ray.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

BBALLIQ, I agree with you that there aren't too many who can shoot like Ray.  However, I liken his situation to Reggie Miller at the end of his glorious career.  There comes a time when, no matter how great a shape a player is in, father time kicks in.  Ray just cannot sustain the rigors of running baseline to baseline coming off picks, spotting up for that jumper while getting back and defending the top, young SG's in the NBA today.

You're right, his presence on the court does require attention.  However, it's moot if he goes 2 for 8 on 3-point attempts.  I'd rather see him get 25 minutes a game and hit 4 of 6 3 point shots because he has his legs under him.

Last season, guys were supposed to get less minutes.  Doc really needs to focus on that again this season.  I'd be ok with KG, PP and Ray averaging 33 minutes per game with Rondo averaging 35 minutes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

It seems that most of us agree that Ray will be more effective at this point in his career playing less than 30 minutes per game. His legs will be under him more and that's for sure. That was a problem last year as Doc would often have Ray play stints of 16 or so minutes before sitting out. That's a lot for even a young player.
        Ray and K.G should probably both play under 30 minutes per game. The C's got the depth this year for this. We'll see what Doc does in regards to his rotations soon enough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Ray could keep going for another 3 or 4 years. Perhaps slowly moving to the bench, he'll always have his shooting ability which is his greatest asset. He's not a typical athletic guard type, so I can't see his game being greatly affected by age.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Reggie Miller was a 12ppg scorer at age 38 in 28mpg on an East finals team

then he retired after knocking off the Celts in '05 playoffs despite no homecourt and lineup/fans decimated by brawl suspensions when he was a bigger option and avg 16ppg

That is kinda how i see Ray

playing till he is 38-39 and being a 22-24 min 11-12ppg game his last 2 years

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Ray Allen:
    [QUOTE]Reggie Miller was a 12ppg scorer at age 38 in 28mpg on an East finals team then he retired after knocking off the Celts in '05 playoffs despite no homecourt and lineup/fans decimated by brawl suspensions when he was a bigger option and avg 16ppg That is kinda how i see Ray playing till he is 38-39 and being a 22-24 min 11-12ppg game his last 2 years
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with that.  Ray will continue to be effective into his late 30's as a bench guy.  His shot is too good.  I think his career will follow a similar trajectory as Reggie Miller, another guy who could always shoot even if his other skills had eroded a bit with age.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]Ray could keep going for another 3 or 4 years. Perhaps slowly moving to the bench, he'll always have his shooting ability which is his greatest asset. He's not a typical athletic guard type, so I can't see his game being greatly affected by age.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]
        I have to strongly disagree with your statement: "He's not a typical athletic guard type." Ray Allen is a former slam dunk champion. That speaks in and of itself in regards to athleticism.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Ray Allen is very athletic. It's impossible that you guys didn't see Ray blow-by Sasha in Game 4 of the 2008 NBA Finals. I mean at that time Sasha Vujacic was only 24 years old but he couldn't keep up with Ray. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Ray's only systemic weakness is he doesn't block out. He played 45 minutes in game 7 of the finals and held Kobe Bryant to some 6 for 24 shooting. Yes, he also missed a lot of shots, but that comes from the fatigue of playing defense. Kobe did get 15 rebounds; 4 of them offensive, that's a problem. Not his age...the guy is fit and I didn't see any signs of slowing down last year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

[QUOTE]I think Ray has 2, maybe 3 years remaining.  Honestly, I think Ray should be a backup SG.  Ray would be so much more effective being a 6th or 7th man coming in providing long range shooting.  If Ray were a backup who averages about 20-25 minutes per game, he'd be so much more effective than he is being a starter.  I wish we had a capable SG (maybe Marquis who's been working on his 3-point shot this offseason) who could conceivably start in front of Ray.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Petey,

Ray starts. He has earned that. It doesn't make a difference if he comes off the bench or starts in terms of his effectiveness. Limit his minutes so you get the most of him. That being said he can run for days. He just looses the lift on his shots.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

existentialparquet, of course Ray starts and he's earned it.  But you make my point when you say he runs for day he just loses the lift on his shots.  THAT is Ray's entire game.  That's what it's predicated on.  Without his legs, he has nothing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

ok then we totally agree. good chat.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"  If Ray were a backup who averages about 20-25 minutes per game, he'd be so much more effective than he is being a starter. "

Agreed Petey - I think Ray's tired legs really hurt us in the playoffs last year. Not much can be done but I hope they watch his minutes. Gonna be an interesting run, look forward to some of your well thought posts again this season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Ray shot well tonite but then again he did in game 2 of the Finals as well. We all know what happened next....he became the sg version of Rondo. Ugh!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhiskeyB. Show WhiskeyB's posts

Celtics would be a better team if any of our starters could come off the bench due to us having a better replacement for them. Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately) that's not how it is. Rays the best SG we got right now so let's stick with him. I see Doc using Delonte as something of a shooting guard off the bench when he gets back. Let's hope he's working on his target practice during his suspension. We could really use another good shot (that is of the basketball variety).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Ray will be fine. The celtics now have rebounding which will extend the stay of the big three to win another 2 championships

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

There is no substitute for man power. Whether coming off the bench or starting and playing more limited minutes. Ray will be more effective. Delonte and Nate will help Ray accomplish this. If the Celtics bench holds ups like it should all the starters will benefit as Ray will.  Doc needs to be creative and use what works when it is working and of course this will be quite a challenge. So far so good. We will see.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Anyone else think his mom is kinda hot?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I think part of Ray's minutes last season could be attributed to the 2009-2010 bench. His defense is surprisingly strong considering the rap on him prior to coming to the C's. While TA could replace that, when you had TA and Rondo in the same backcourt the guards could pack in and cheat off of those two. Daniels got injured and then entered Doc's Doghouse, probably over his defense.

I could see where assuming West and Daniels are playing well situations where Paul Pierce and Ray spend less time on the floor together lifting the second units impact up and shorting their minutes per game.

Just my take