Report: C's getting offers for PP

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Report: C's getting offers for PP

The bigger question promises to be: Does ownership and general manager Danny Ainge go for the complete rebuild and trade Pierce before the March 15 deadline? Several contending teams have inquired about Pierce’s availability. As one Eastern Conference official said, there are “lots of calls asking if Boston will blow it up.” -A. Wojnarowski Yahoo! Sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_kendrick_perkins_thunder_celtics_nba_011712

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Report: C's getting offers for PP

wfdog, I just read that.  Wojnarowski is pretty on point with his reports but I just can't understand why teams would be interested in obtaining his remaining 2 years and $32M.

That is very interesting although he doesn't provide much else in the area of details.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Drop the hammer, Danny!!  Trade him while he is hot, we can raise his # to the rafters later!!  Cowboy up!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In Response to Re: Report: C's getting offers for PP:
    [QUOTE]wfdog, I just read that.  Wojnarowski is pretty on point with his reports but I just can't understand why teams would be interested in obtaining his remaining 2 years and $32M. That is very interesting although he doesn't provide much else in the area of details.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]
    I think it just shows that the league believes that PP still has a lot left in the tank and that maybe KG and/or Ray aren't as desirable.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I would love to see PP retire a Celtic but removing my emotional loyalty, it just might be best for the Celtics AND for PP if he were able to contend for another championship somewhere.  It surely wouldn't be here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

I know it would be prudent to trade pp and clear the books, but  I dont care im willing to take an old pp for 2 more years and see him retire as a celtic, like the other past greats. PP is the best celtic of my time and I couldnt take seeing him in another jersey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I would love to see PP retire a Celtic but removing my emotional loyalty, it just might be best for the Celtics AND for PP if he were able to contend for another championship somewhere.  It surely wouldn't be here.

I agree with you.  I would hate to see him leave the Celtics but it would be nice to see him win another championship.  I still want to see him retire with the Celtics. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: C's getting offers for PP : I agree with you.  I would hate to see him leave the Celtics but it would be nice to see him win another championship.  I still want to see him retire with the Celtics. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Danny could always bring him back after his contract is up, and let him retire as a Celtic!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Who among us would prefer the Celtics NOT trade Pierce to a contender where he could win another ring so that we could be assured he remains a Celtic for the final two years?  As much as I want to see Pierce in Green for the next two seasons, if he has an opportunity to play elsewhere and win a ring, I'm all for that.  As a Celtics lifer, he's earned that from this organization.

I am a Paul Pierce fan and it would be difficult but I would not say the same for any other Celtic player.

I love what KG has done for the Boston Celtics and what he brought to this team during his time here but if the Celtics traded him tomorrow, I would not be emotionally disappointed.  The same goes for the classiest, most professional player in the NBA, Ray Allen.  Five wonderful, enjoyable years is not career.  But Pierce, HE IS CELTIC PRIDE!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Parish went on to get a ring in another uniform. Emotions aside, go for it!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]I would love to see PP retire a Celtic but removing my emotional loyalty, it just might be best for the Celtics AND for PP if he were able to contend for another championship somewhere.  It surely wouldn't be here.

I agree Petey.  Hate to see PP leave, but I'd hate to see his career wind down here with a rebuilding team. 

If the C's don't turn it around, I'm betting that Ainge will trade anyone who improves their rebuilding process.  Getting rid of Pierce for a big contract that expires at the end of this year would be huge.  But the problem is that I don't think the C's will be in position to get a premier FA since there are many of them hitting FA next year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Who among us would prefer the Celtics NOT trade Pierce to a contender where he could win another ring so that we could be assured he remains a Celtic for the final two years?  As much as I want to see Pierce in Green for the next two seasons, if he has an opportunity to play elsewhere and win a ring, I'm all for that.  As a Celtics lifer, he's earned that from this organization. I am a Paul Pierce fan and it would be difficult but I would not say the same for any other Celtic player. I love what KG has done for the Boston Celtics and what he brought to this team during his time here but if the Celtics traded him tomorrow, I would not be emotionally disappointed.  The same goes for the classiest, most professional player in the NBA, Ray Allen.  Five wonderful, enjoyable years is not career.  But Pierce, HE IS CELTIC PRIDE!!!

Very tough question, Petey.  I love these guys so much that I can't easily say I agree with you here.   I thought about it a lot and I think there's another factor to consider - what we get in return.  If Pierce can play for a championship with another team, but we don't get much for him - I say "no".   I would not trade Paul just so he can play for a championship somewhere else and we lose a lot of games and get another high risk young guy.  Danny's track record on these trades is NOT good.  

It would be horrible if Paul, who we ALL love, went to another team like the Lakers in his home town, played for a championship, and in return we got a draft choice or sone unproven young players who never amount to a Paul Pierce.   Celtic greats like Bird, McHale, Russell, Cowans, Hav, Jo Jo, and others are Celtic greats because they delivered for us and Red loved them enough to play out the string with them.  He rarely (if ever) traded his big guns who delivered in the past.

As for KG and Ray, I could get over it if it happened......but it would be difficult.  More than Perk's trade, it would be very controversial.  I don't know that I could automatically say "its ok - I'm happy for them".   If its done, everyone better get used to a terrible team because if you think Perks trade tore them apart, just trade KG, Ray, or Paul and you might as well fire Doc and Danny because all the players will simply just roll over and sink into the ground - not playing for Danny.    If you show players that when you get old, you get traded and you are no loyal to your players - how can you expect them to be loyal to you?   What Danny did with Perk already tore the team apart (I still contend it was a good long term business move but it had horrible timing given Shaq's injury and happened mid season rather than a sign and trade at year end).  Danny's lack of loyalty, in my opinion, is one factor that hurts the Celtics as a destination.  

In summary, I'm not sold that trading Pierce, Ray, nor KG is the right thing to do.  Tell me we get Deron Williams or Dwight Howard and I get over the emotion.  Tell me we get Metta World Peace and a draft choice and I say Danny is stupid.   

It all depends on what we get in return.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

PETEY,
    What makes you think PP wants to be traded? I think hed give up the small chance to win a championship with another team. to retire with his one and only team the celtics. He has spoken before about what an exclusive group hes in of players to play their whole career with one team. I think he relishes being one of them.  
    I was too young to be a fan of the original big 3, so pp is my bird, my russel, my havilecek and I dont think the older fans wouldve want them traded either. So im being sentimental and I dont care. PP should never wear anything but the celtic green.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4420007. Show user_4420007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: C's getting offers for PP : Very tough question, Petey.  I love these guys so much that I can't easily say I agree with you here.   I thought about it a lot and I think there's another factor to consider - what we get in return.  If Pierce can play for a championship with another team, but we don't get much for him - I say "no".   I would not trade Paul just so he can play for a championship somewhere else and we lose a lot of games and get another high risk young guy.  Danny's track record on these trades is NOT good.   It would be horrible if Paul, who we ALL love, went to another team like the Lakers in his home town, played for a championship, and in return we got a draft choice or sone unproven young players who never amount to a Paul Pierce.   Celtic greats like Bird, McHale, Russell, Cowans, Hav, Jo Jo, and others are Celtic greats because they delivered for us and Red loved them enough to play out the string with them.  He rarely (if ever) traded his big guns who delivered in the past. As for KG and Ray, I could get over it if it happened......but it would be difficult.  More than Perk's trade, it would be very controversial.  I don't know that I could automatically say "its ok - I'm happy for them".   If its done, everyone better get used to a terrible team because if you think Perks trade tore them apart, just trade KG, Ray, or Paul and you might as well fire Doc and Danny because all the players will simply just roll over and sink into the ground - not playing for Danny.    If you show players that when you get old, you get traded and you are no loyal to your players - how can you expect them to be loyal to you?   What Danny did with Perk already tore the team apart (I still contend it was a good long term business move but it had horrible timing given Shaq's injury and happened mid season rather than a sign and trade at year end).  Danny's lack of loyalty, in my opinion, is one factor that hurts the Celtics as a destination.   In summary, I'm not sold that trading Pierce, Ray, nor KG is the right thing to do.  Tell me we get Deron Williams or Dwight Howard and I get over the emotion.  Tell me we get Metta World Peace and a draft choice and I say Danny is stupid.    It all depends on what we get in return.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Lakers would never take PP, he's considered poison in L.A.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i have enjoyed pierce's boston career.  i can see trading him depending upon what is gotten in return.  i can see him remaining in boston until he decides to retire.

no way i would trade him for nothing or scrap heap guys just so that he can get another ring with another team.

to me he is a celtic and that means going through the good times and also the bad and also the mediocre ones.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Celtsfan4life, I totally agree that it would not benefit us to trade Paul for "nothing" but if we got rid of that cap figure this season (by obtaining a player in the final year of their contract), that more than sets us up to be a major player in the FA market.  And who's to say we don't get a decent, younger player in return?

Plus, I am excited at the prospect of having an athletic 6'9'' SF, Jeff Green, in the fold next season if he's able to return to the Cs and at full tilt.  What a wonderful sight it would be to have a healthy, motivated Green filling the lane with Rondo.

Whatever else we get or are set up to get with a trade of Pierce would be an added benefit.  Pierce is averaging 15.7 PPG which I expect will go up but I would think a healthy Green could do that and provide a level of athleticism that Pierce cannot.

But Celtsfan, there is no loyalty in the NBA (or professional sports for that matter).  See Chris Paul, Carmello Anthony, Lebron James, Chris Bosh.  I look at the other side that if a player has an opportunity to go elsewhere to win a ring and the Celtics allow that player that opportunity, I think that would be looked at as a good thing.  Pierce played on a team that lost, what, 18 straight games.  He should not HAVE to be made to stick around for another mediocre season if he could flourish elsewhere.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Petey, do you think Lebron and CP3 left BECAUSE their teams were doing nothing to help them get to a championship?  PP has the opposite situation - he stayed and we rewarded him by getting him players who he now considers brothers who actually helped him win one.   I suspect Lebron would still be in Cleveland if he was playing with Wade and Bosh in Cleveland.  CP3 would still be in NO if he had Chauncey, Griffin, and others in NO.  Bosh and Carmelo, however, would have left no matter what so they have no loyalty to where they were (and I don't blame Bosh - Toronto is a nightmare of cold, high taxes, and no wins).  

As for Cap room, we already have enough.  I think Green's ahtleticsm is tremendous and I agree he should be getting MAJOR minutes.  So, you might be right about Paul's minutes getting in Green's way.  But, on the cap room - getting KG, Ray, Shaq, JON, and Sheed off the books along with other minor ones (Bradley and all the one year guys) gives us significant room.   

I understand your point, however.  Don't want to drag out the discussion because I cannot argue that you are completely wrong.  Its just a tough judgement call and I thinkit swings on what we get in return.  Pure cap room is not enough for me because we may NOT get the top guys to sign with us anyway no matter how much room we have (witness CP3, DH, David West, etc).  It would be a shame to have all that cap room, no Paul Pierce, and no one agreeing to come to Boston!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]PETEY, What makes you think PP wants to be traded? I think hed give up the small chance to win a championship with another team. to retire with his one and only team the celtics. He has spoken before about what an exclusive group hes in of players to play their whole career with one team. I think he relishes being one of them.   I was too young to be a fan of the original big 3, so pp is my bird, my russel, my havilecek and I dont think the older fans wouldve want them traded either. So im being sentimental and I dont care. PP should never wear anything but the celtic green.
    Posted by gman101019[/QUOTE]
    Love your passion gman.  You say you're being sentimental and you don't care.  I can respect that.  I think alot of players say they want to remain with that one team throughout their careers.  I honestly can say I've never heard a player announce a desire to leave for another team to contend for a championship, ever!  I think they say that and are honest in that declaration.  However, neither of us really knows if Pierce would welcome moving on.  Even though he would leave the Celtics, he could always return and retire as a Celtic.  I don't think KG would have ever imagined that, after 10 or so years, he'd be traded from Minny.  I can respect your point but I just think we just don't know.

But I think if you take the emotions out of it, if the Celtics can get cap space, a decent, young player or draft picks, I think it's in their best interest AND Pierce's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

"I think alot of players say they want to remain with that one team throughout their careers.  I honestly can say I've never heard a player announce a desire to leave for another team to contend for a championship, ever!  I think they say that and are honest in that declaration"

Its not only saying it, but pp showed it when he had a chance to leave as fa  in 2006 BEFORE the big 3 was assembled, he resigned for 3 years $59 million extension. He didnt run the first chance he got like lebron. He stayed and got rewarded with a championship. He showed loyalty at the most difficult time  to be a celtic, I think we owe him the same type of loyalty to THE TRUTH. (Best nickname ever)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Lebon stayed in Cleveland 7 years before leaving.  I really think that if Orlando made some decent moves, they would keep DH.  Players do stick it out at times.

Also, if PP is valuable to someone now, won't he still be valuable next year?  Yes, he's less valuable as he'd be a year older, but if he continues to improve like he has recently his value will go up from where it is right now and he's already attracting offers!  If Danny waited and was able to talk to PP during the off season when KG and Ray are gone - then maybe PP takes it better, leaves with a better attitude (not hurt like Antoine was the first time) and doesn't kill the team spirit as the Perk trade did.

So, if that's the move (trade Paul), I say do it to a contender over the summer.

As a very smart poster said in another thread: " saying good bye is hard to do and knowing when to say goodbye is even harder".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: C's getting offers for PP : Love your passion gman.  You say you're being sentimental and you don't care.  I can respect that.  I think alot of players say they want to remain with that one team throughout their careers.  I honestly can say I've never heard a player announce a desire to leave for another team to contend for a championship, ever!  I think they say that and are honest in that declaration.  However, neither of us really knows if Pierce would welcome moving on.  Even though he would leave the Celtics, he could always return and retire as a Celtic.  I don't think KG would have ever imagined that, after 10 or so years, he'd be traded from Minny.  I can respect your point but I just think we just don't know. But I think if you take the emotions out of it, if the Celtics can get cap space, a decent, young player or draft picks, I think it's in their best interest AND Pierce's.

What if the Celtics could get cap space, a decent young player and a #1, but the trade was with the Bucks, or pacers, would you still do it?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

The key for me is where is he going and what are the C's getting??

In the East I bet it's Indiana, NJ or Orlando

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Dallas could really use him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrax. Show mtrax's posts

[QUOTE]The key for me is where is he going and what are the C's getting?? In the East I bet it's Indiana, NJ or Orlando
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

Indiana does not need Pierce.
    They already have Paul George and Danny Granger at SF.

NJ needs to hold onto salary to see if they can trade for Howard.
    They are not going to use it to trade for Pierce.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrax. Show mtrax's posts

[QUOTE]Dallas could really use him.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Dallas is not going to ruin next years cap space by trading for Pierce.