Robert Parish is he crazy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Re: Robert Parish is he crazy?

rumor has it he is a big fan of the green stuff

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Tommy Heinshon has said the same thing.  But with all due respect to Tommy and the Chief there's no way that Pierce is ahead of Bird or Havlicek.

Pierce is the best one-on-one player I've ever seen on the Celtics (I didn't see Sam Jones except when I was about 9 years old) and he's the best I've seen at getting to the line. But Bird and Havlicek, besides being great scorers individually, created so much offense for the team.  The Celtics ran the offense through these guys.

Pierce is great but in a 7th game I'd take Bird or Hondo hands down.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In Response to Re: Robert Parish is he crazy?:
    [QUOTE]Tommy Heinshon has said the same thing.  But with all due respect to Tommy and the Chief there's no way that Pierce is ahead of Bird or Havlicek. Pierce is the best one-on-one player I've ever seen on the Celtics (I didn't see Sam Jones except when I was about 9 years old) and he's the best I've seen at getting to the line. But Bird and Havlicek, besides being great scorers individually, created so much offense for the team.  The Celtics ran the offense through these guys. Pierce is great but in a 7th game I'd take Bird or Hondo hands down.
    Posted by paulliu[/QUOTE]
      I agree. I think Pierce is probably the 4th or 5th best C's scorer of all-time. Hondo, Bird and McHale. Sam Jones was before the time I can remember watching basketball. My earliest seasons to memory were from the late 60's on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GTO1966. Show GTO1966's posts

Sorry Robert, you were part of one of the greatest Celtics teams ever , but man you are smoking way to much Wacky Tobacky now a days to say that Paul is the greatest  Celtic scorer ever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

You know nothings are trying to make it seem like you know more about the Celtics than at least 2 Celtics hall of famers and lifers?

Get over yourselves. If these guys are'nt qualified to judge, who is?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Obviously, Larry Bird is a better all around player than Paul Pierce. But as pure scorer you could make a very solid case for Pierce being better.

As far as Parish goes, I think it's kind of a joke that Bird and McHale both have high level front office jobs and Parish is toiling away in anonimity. The Celtics have to sign Shaq for reporters to stick a mike in Parish's face an let us all know what his thoughts are on the current team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I'd like to see Parish and Tommy expand on their opinions on Pierce. Can't say I disagree with them out off the bat.

Parish said he's the best offensive Celtic that he's seen. He's not the BEST Celtic that he's seen and that's a big difference.

He doesn't have the necessary X-Factor that a Russell, Bird or Havileck had, but he's still a Celtic great, one of the all time Celtic greats (even with just one ring).

I don't think Chief has to worry about Paul's number being retired at the end of his career, he's a lock.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]Obviously, Larry Bird is a better all around player than Paul Pierce. But as pure scorer you could make a very solid case for Pierce being better. As far as Parish goes, I think it's kind of a joke that Bird and McHale both have high level front office jobs and Parish is toiling away in anonimity. The Celtics have to sign Shaq for reporters to stick a mike in Parish's face an let us all know what his thoughts are on the current team.
    Posted by dafoe[/QUOTE]

That fact that he does'nt have a management position is totally in accord with his personality. He's not that verbose, not a great communicator ( which you need to be). Just a good guy. It does'nt mean he does'nt know basketball.

We all know McHale and Bird and Ainge were the biggest trash talkers on the team!!! Highly talkative guys!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Nobody is saying Russell is not the greatest Celtic by the way. We are talking about offense.  Paul Pierce as much as I like him is not as good an offensive player in any category as Larry Bird.  Three point shooting , free throws, field goal percentage, and of course intangibly.  Who do want to have the ball at the end of the game?  Did you see Pierce this year? He came through in Miami but suffice to say  he was the weak point in the finals. Which we should have won. He came up short and without  meaning to insult him he is not close to Larry Bird.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SavCeltic. Show SavCeltic's posts

I actually do agree that Pierce is probably the best pure scorer the Celtics have seen.  He has range all over the court.  He can take it to the basket off the dribble.  He can pull up with a good mid-range game.  He is a very versatile scorer.

That being said....Larry Legend is the greatest player the Celtics have ever had (I put him ahead of Russell)...Bird was a natural leader, but more importantly, he didn't have to score to have a great game...He was a great scorer, but he could have only 11 points one night, but 15 assists, 12 rebounds, and 4 steals and dominate the floor.  He also had a will to win...he talked alot of trash, but backed it up night in and  night out. 

I love Pierce and his scoring talent....but he isn't in the same class as Bird as a player.  With the game on the line, the ball goes to Larry..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Pierce best pure shooter vs Bird?

Nope, Pierce has different role. He has sucky teammates for many years. The closest best teammate was Toine...that's about it. Therefore, he can do anything he wants. He has to fill that role because no one will score except him.

At the same token, Larry has Mchale-Parish-DJ-Wedman-Ainge- Gerry Sichting
    & Henderson who are capable of filing a points night after night. Larry still the best shooter because of lesser role.

We stop branding Pierce a "ball hog" just recently....yep when the big 3 was created....otherwise he will still be  a ball hog...forever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Get over yourselves. If these guys are'nt qualified to judge, who is?"

Well, about the teams they played on, they know way more than I do. But about how players compare across eras, I'm ok with throwing my own opinion in the ring as well. I think it's less that Parish is crazy and more that he was trying to make the point that Tommy H makes that Pierce has a very well rounded scoring arsenal. Bird was clearly a better offensive player overall but Pierce in his prime (Finals MVP Pierce) might have been a better pure scorer. Or at least that could be debated. But, it's an odd time to have this discussion after Pierce got muzzled and denied in the NBA finals this year. Had he dominated and won another MVP then we could have that discussion. And no, I don't need to run this opinion by Robert Parish.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

I guess it all depends on what you mean by "pure scorer."

I do not intend to denigrate Paul Pierce but Larry Bird had two straight years where he averaged 27 and 29 ppg while shooting over 50%, including over 40% from threes and over 90% from the line.

Bird is the only player in NBA history to post FG%'s of over .500, 3-pt%'s of over .400 and FT%'s of over .900 in the same season.  And he did it two straight years.

For his career Bird avg'ed over 24 ppg with a FG% of .496, 3-pt % of .376 and FT% of .886.

Strictly as a shooter and scorer Bird's numbers verge on the mind boggling and they would almost certainly have been even more impressive had he stayed healthy.   The Larry Bird of his first nine years was not the Larry Bird of his last four injury-riddled years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Does anyone remember how down we were on Pierce at times pre- Garnett?

Have we been down on him post Garnett? No!

The reason is that better players make you look that much better.

Bird was surrounded by great players almost his entire career, so we were never down on him, and he never had to carry a team by himself,like Pierce.

It's easier to score when you are surrounded by great teammates.

I am not saying Pierce would have been as effecient a shooter as Bird, I'm just saying I think Parish and Tommy are taking Pierce's productivity in the face of humongous odds into account.

Also, his slashing superiority to Bird. Ball-handling superiority.How often he had to go 1 on 3 compared to Bird.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Bird was surrounded by great players almost his entire career, so we were never down on him, and he never had to carry a team by himself,like Pierce.

Before the big three, Pierce has nothing to carry, his team was sucky, he was free to do whatever he wants because no one will. He probably shot twice as many as Bird.....once reason you think he was a good shooter. He's a ball hog.

Bird always thinking how to win and Pierce thinking how to file a points.
    Two different meaning.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Parish has always had is own addenda. If Bird is not the greatest player, then Parish must be better.

Bird would tell guys guarding him, on the last shot of the game, that Bird was going to get the ball, that he would score, and there was not a d### thing they could do about it. Bird was a multiple league MVP type player, and was first team all NBA at small forward forever. When he came to Boston, he created the single biggest turn around in league history to that point. Where were the other great players then? Later the feat was surpassed by Duncan in San Antonio, and then by Garnett in Boston. Bird was unguardable and had nerves of steel. Bird would be insulted.

Paul Pierce, while being a good offensive player, has never been an MVP, has never been either first or second team all NBA at any position, and if he makes the all star team it is playing second string.

This discussion is a joke. Go to nbareference.com and review their careers.
    While your at it, compare other player to Pierce, and the parochial view may change. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]We stop branding Pierce a "ball hog" just recently....yep when the big 3 was created....otherwise he will still be  a ball hog...forever.
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

You know that would have been a bad way to Pierce to be thought of. He held the team together. He had some moments where he wanted out of the team. Which I couldn't blame him too much for. But he's one of your finest players.

I think his stats are slightly inflated due to being the 'man' for so long. But like anyone when surrounded by other good players the real P Pierce has emerged. I'm just happy for his sake that he won a championship. Because he'd be the the only Celtic with numbers like he's had without one. I'm just not happy that the championship was at our expense. But hey, that's life and the Celtics outplayed us badly in that series.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

trying to compare Pierce to Larry Bird, is about as stupid as comparing Luol Deng to Michael Jordan!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

BIRD WOULDN'T CONSISTENTLY TURN THE BALL OVER IN CRUNCH TIME

End of story.

And yes I'm 21 and no I'm not old enough to remember seeing Bird in person or on a regular basis.  I don't have to be in order to know that Pierce is vastly overrated as a dribbler.  Pierce gets hero syndrome and forces plays that result in turnovers far too frequently, which negates his advantage as a one-on-one scorer

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

BIRD WOULDN'T CONSISTENTLY TURN THE BALL OVER IN CRUNCH TIME

If you didn't see Bird play and you are 21, how can you make up a story like that?

.....and why would you give the ball to someone when the seconds is ticking, these are highly skilled players.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Pierce has been a great 1on1 player for a long time. Nobody can question his skill level & finesse...

The question is , what exactly is meant by the term "SCORER"? Well, scorer can only mean how many points you put on the board. Isnt that what SCORE means?

By that definition, whoever scored the most points is the better scorer.  I dont even know the answer but if its Pierce, so be it. Doesnt really matter.

If the definition is expanded to include the other attributes of an NBA player, then its a dumb discussion... Larry in a run away! 

Bird was probably my favorite player to watch play basketball... of Celtics, Id also list Havlicek, Cowens, Russell & McHale as guys I just loved to watch.  Pierce has been great for the Celtics over the years and has been CLUTCH as well. Yea, he wasnt so much last season but on his body of work, hes been fantastic and he was a guy you knew would put down the big shot.

I just hope nobody posting here is really considering Pierce in the category of Larry... no disrespect but Paul shouldnt be in the discussion, not fair to him

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

.....and one good thing about Bird, when his age and aches starts to
    bothered him... HE RETIRED, none of these milking the system.

Magic & Jordan keeps coming back and the same for those like Sheed - Shaq who can't accept being old and washed out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE].....and one good thing about Bird, when his age and aches starts to bothered him... HE RETIRED, none of these milking the system. Magic & Jordan keeps coming back and the same for those like Sheed - Shaq who can't accept being old and washed out.
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

In defense of Magic he was forced into retirement. There's no way that he wanted to retire before the start of the 91/92 season. He wasn't injured and had years left in him. 

If he had been able to continue his career I doubt we'd have seen his comeback in 95/96. But this 'comeback' in my mind sent a positive message to people living with HIV. You can participate, you can live. That's not the message from a comeback from a person still seeking the bright lights of the NBA stage. This 'comeback' was probably one of Ervins great contributions to society and the NBA with the message that it sent. It's just too bad the other Lakers were not on the same page he was when it came to understanding the game. Otherwise they may have done more damage in the playoffs.

While bird was forced out by injury, Ervin was forced out by public ignorance on HIV and media pressure. They had him back for the all star game and the Olympics. But after that, he was given the cold shoulder. At the time as it is now, his banning was ignorant to the extreme. Undereducated people around the country just jumped on the bandwagon. A sad day for Ervin and sports in general. 

I just wouldn't put Ervin in that category of guys making comebacks for the sake of it. In 95/96 he proved a point. And showed the ignorant press, and the public that he was safe to play after he went public with his contraction of the HIV virus. Who's to say we wouldn't have made the finals again in 91/92 if he wasn't forced out of the game? Nobody. 

I remember years ago reading one of my dads books on the Celtics and read about Cousy's comeback for 7 games at the age of 41. I don't remember the circumstances of the comeback but it's tragic for him that he had to come back at that age. I think it was because of injuries for the team? Either way poor Bob.

I think Shaq will offer something to the Celtics. Unlike Moses Malone who just kept going, I hope Shaq knows when to walk away. And if the Celtics do win it may very well be after this season. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgioa. Show mgioa's posts

For as many times as Paul has made brilliant one-on-one plays when the game is on the line or at the end of a quarter, either backing down a player, taking him to the rack "and one", or the jab-step-step-back J, Paul also has been known to dribble himself into trouble and cough up the ball at crucial moments.

I do not recall Larry doing that. Larry would lure the defense to him and find the open teammate, or he would call his shot and pop.  He didn't have Paul's raw atheleticism, but he made due with what he had physically through shear will and determination.

There should not be any comparison between Legend and the Truth; it is more like a 1 and 1b. Which is no insult. Larry (and Magic) carried the Association. PP could not and has not done that.