Rondo for Westbrook... thoughts.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

Rondo for Westbrook... thoughts.

It makes sense , OKC needs a pass first pg , Bos will need an elite pg to rebuild and contend 2 years from now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Re: Rondo for Westbrook... thoughts.

I doubt if OKC has any interest of trading Westbrook.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Rondo for Westbrook... thoughts.:
    [QUOTE]It makes sense , OKC needs a pass first pg , Bos will need an elite pg to rebuild and contend 2 years from now.
    Posted by startrightnow[/QUOTE]

A point guard that can score is what is known as complete.....

A pass first point guard, from my perspective, applies to only one point guard in the league and it is a code word for incomplete.

Please name me all the other pass first point guards in the league.

When I think of a pass first point guard I think that he would lead the league in assists, you know like he would average 25 assists per game and then there would be a bunch of guys averaging around 10...... well the pass first point guard that you are talking about didn't even lead the league in assists and the guy you want to trade him for averaged more than twice as many points and had only 3 fewer assists......

In my opinion the two players are not even close in terms of their overall games.

Pass first comes from Rondo's inability to shoot, finish, make 3s, and make freebies - granted he is a great passer but he is also passing it to 3 hall of famers.

A HUGE BELLY LAUGH AND CLICK are the sounds Danny hears on the other end of the line when he calls to offer Rondo for Westbrook......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

Westbrook may be complete in the sense that he can do everything athletically, but he's maybe the worst decision making point guard of his stature. If it takes you 40 field goal attempts to get 29 points, you aren't running the point guard correctly, especially if kevin durant is standing there waiting for touches that never come.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo for Westbrook... thoughts.:
    [QUOTE]Westbrook may be complete in the sense that he can do everything athletically, but he's maybe the worst decision making point guard of his stature. If it takes you 40 field goal attempts to get 29 points, you aren't running the point guard correctly, especially if kevin durant is standing there waiting for touches that never come.
    Posted by truth-torpedo34[/QUOTE]

Those must be the reasons Coach K kicked Rondo off the USA team and kept Westbrook who I believe was the team's MVP.  He doesn't take 40 shots but why let exaggeration do nothing other serve your point which is inaccurate.

He is in his 3rd year and is already leaps and bounds better than Rondo.

Keep trying.... if Rondo played in Milwaukee he would be considered by the intelligent people on this board as a laughingstock, maybe even some of the idiots would think so too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Westbrook may be complete in the sense that he can do everything athletically, but he's maybe the worst decision making point guard of his stature. If it takes you 40 field goal attempts to get 29 points, you aren't running the point guard correctly, especially if kevin durant is standing there waiting for touches that never come.

p.s. which are the other pass first point guards?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

ahahahaha yea right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

Jason Kidd and I would say Chris Paul as well. When Chris Paul reads pick and rolls, he almost always looks to get his teammates going before he decides to make a play on his own. Personally, I think those are the best two point guards of the past two generations.
    If you watched any of the denver-okc series, which I doubt that you did, you would have seen games in which Westbrook took more than half of the thunder's field goal attempts. That is not an exaggeration. My argument is not one on behalf of Rondo  vs. Westbrook, as their teams and coaches couldn't be anymore different. The issue is that westbrook is a guy who played shooting guard up until the nba, and has chucking issues. Definitely a good nba player, but not one that is going to save a celtics team that will need to be rebuilt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Jason Kidd and I would say Chris Paul as well. When Chris Paul reads pick and rolls, he almost always looks to get his teammates going before he decides to make a play on his own. Personally, I think those are the best two point guards of the past two generations. If you watched any of the denver-okc series, which I doubt that you did, you would have seen games in which Westbrook took more than half of the thunder's field goal attempts. That is not an exaggeration. My argument is not one on behalf of Rondo  vs. Westbrook, as their teams and coaches couldn't be anymore different. The issue is that westbrook is a guy who played shooting guard up until the nba, and has chucking issues. Definitely a good nba player, but not one that is going to save a celtics team that will need to be rebuilt.

Wow two other pass first point guards that average twice as many points.... hmmmm....

Westbrook is 3 years younger and already better, enough said.

Kidd & Paul - two generations - Ok we can just ignore Stockton, Thomas, Nash, Iverson, Parker, etc. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

Tell me, Dudder, when was the last time Jason Kidd averaged 20 points? Has he ever averaged 20 points over the course of a season? Instead of arguing smaller points within a statement that distract from the issue at hand, argue on behalf of Russell Westbrook's decision making.
     The dude either runs 24 second clocks without passing once, or shoots off balance leaners. Westbrook is a great athlete who can shoot and is a solid rebounder. His problem is that he is a shooting guard learning how to play point on the fly, and he doesn't have great vision.
    I really don't feel like arguing rondo vs. westbrook. The point of my statement is that Westbrook isn't a player worth throwing cap flexibility away on, and he wouldn't fit in with what Doc likes to do. It's also a trade that the gm's would never even discuss. They both prefer their own guys because of familiarity and pride in their ability to draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aznefn. Show aznefn's posts

I cant believe how negative people are about Rondo sometimes, first besides maybe steve nash hes the best passer in the league. one of the best defenders (not considered enough , but its half the game) . Worst case hes the 5th best point guard in the league , there are only a few point guards who are truly better and not by a huge amount when you consider the whole package.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Tell me, Dudder, when was the last time Jason Kidd averaged 20 points? Has he ever averaged 20 points over the course of a season? Instead of arguing smaller points within a statement that distract from the issue at hand, argue on behalf of Russell Westbrook's decision making.  The dude either runs 24 second clocks without passing once, or shoots off balance leaners. Westbrook is a great athlete who can shoot and is a solid rebounder. His problem is that he is a shooting guard learning how to play point on the fly, and he doesn't have great vision. I really don't feel like arguing rondo vs. westbrook. The point of my statement is that Westbrook isn't a player worth throwing cap flexibility away on, and he wouldn't fit in with what Doc likes to do. It's also a trade that the gm's would never even discuss. They both prefer their own guys because of familiarity and pride in their ability to draft.

Rondo stands completely by himself at the circle pounding the ball into the floor while Ray and Paul run their a sses off trying to get to a point where there is an open shot, Rondo runs the shot clock down until there is not much time left and quite often causes a 3 second violation.  Then once he assures himself of an assist he passes the ball and then if the guy he passes the ball to makes another pass he is a baby.

Once he does pass the ball he runs into the corner and calls for the ball aloud but what he is actually thinking is please good God on earth do not pass me the ball and of course once he does pass the ball his teammates accomodate him - they never even look back at him because they realize he is the absolute option on the floor.

Rondo is absolutely not perfect and nor it Westbrook but at 3 years younger and able to do everything Rondo can and more, he is by far and away the more attractive player.

There were 5 all-star point guards, Rondo was easily the 5th best - everyone was stunned that Rondo missed a layup effectively losing the series to the Heat.... it was the same exact layup he missed in the all-star game.

With Westbrook the Cs are still playing right now, with Rondo the series was not even competitive regardless of the injury.... people want to wax poetic about Rondo and Willis Reed blah blah blah.... they were down two zip prior to the injury, they were winning handily in game 3 when Rondo got hurt and they were winning handily when he came back into the game.

As I have said many times, Rondo is a nice player who benefits greatly from who he plays with, other players at his position make their teammates much better players.  Oddly in the last several years the Cs have had the two most overrated players in the league (overrated on this board anyway) Perk and Rondo.  Perk was largely irrelevant again today but some want to attribute the Thunder success to Perk, they are still playing today without Perk and contrary to what most would read on this board, I am of the opinion that if OKC did not trade Green and Krstic, they would have had a much easier time in the playoffs and would still be playing for the WCF, just with a little more rest.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Agree with Truth.  Rondo had a bad year and I think his injuries are understated.  Yes, he's a weak shooter but other than that, he's better than Westbrook.  Even if he's not, with Westbrook's poor decision making and lack of passing - he is definitely not worth the salary we'd have to pay and the lack of flexibility that would bring us.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

There is about as much chance OKC trading Westbrook for Rondo, as there is of them trading Durant for Big Baby!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Tell me, Dudder, when was the last time Jason Kidd averaged 20 points? Has he ever averaged 20 points over the course of a season? Instead of arguing smaller points within a statement that distract from the issue at hand, argue on behalf of Russell Westbrook's decision making.  The dude either runs 24 second clocks without passing once, or shoots off balance leaners. Westbrook is a great athlete who can shoot and is a solid rebounder. His problem is that he is a shooting guard learning how to play point on the fly, and he doesn't have great vision. I really don't feel like arguing rondo vs. westbrook. The point of my statement is that Westbrook isn't a player worth throwing cap flexibility away on, and he wouldn't fit in with what Doc likes to do. It's also a trade that the gm's would never even discuss. They both prefer their own guys because of familiarity and pride in their ability to draft.

I watched doc running up and down the sidelines screaming at his PG, "Push it, Push it, Push it!!!!" pounding his fist/palm together during the Heat series... and there was Rondo walking the ball up the court, totally oblivious to doc's screams.

Now tell me that Westbrook won't fit in with doc's preferred style of play.

Pud

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Agree with Truth.  Rondo had a bad year and I think his injuries are understated.  Yes, he's a weak shooter but other than that, he's better than Westbrook.  Even if he's not, with Westbrook's poor decision making and lack of passing - he is definitely not worth the salary we'd have to pay and the lack of flexibility that would bring us.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

So other than:

Causing an automatic double team against his team's best player

Not being guarded

Causing teams to sag into the paint

Being unable to finish

Being unable to make routine jumpers

Being unable to make people respect him from the arc

Being unable to make people respect him from the field

Being the absolute worst free throw shooter in the league at his position or almost any position for that matter

Other than that.... he is much better than Westbrook........  so if you can ignore all of those things he is much better than Westbrook.......

Wow........  I wonder if in 3 years when Westbrook is 25 he could possibly be as good as Rondo.........  my guess is yes ummmm.... because he already is by a wide margin... ask Coach K... heck ask Doc who after the 2009 playoffs stated that Rondo's inability to shoot really hurt them in the playoffs.........

Wake the F up.........

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

go down the list and compare the players. 

Scoring - Westbrook
    Passing - Rondo
    Rebounding - Rondo
    Defense - Rondo
    Directing/Leadership ability - Rondo 
    Toughness - Rondo
    Durability - Westbrook
    Stamina - Rondo
    6-2 Rondo. of course its not that easy.

its getting to the point where some boston fans just want a sg at the point instead of a pg. does Rondo need to improve his shot? absolutely. but ppl just want a guy to jack up shots at the pg position, its not gunna happen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo for Westbrook... thoughts. : I watched doc running up and down the sidelines screaming at his PG, "Push it, Push it, Push it!!!!" pounding his fist/palm together during the Heat series... and there was Rondo walking the ball up the court, totally oblivious to doc's screams. Now tell me that Westbrook won't fit in with doc's preferred style of play. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

ahhh so westbrook pushes it everytime? now i understand. 

p.s - lets see westbrook push the ball up the court at full speed with a dislocated left elbow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]go down the list and compare the players.  Scoring - Westbrook Passing - Rondo Rebounding - Rondo Defense - Rondo Directing/Leadership ability - Rondo  Toughness - Rondo Durability - Westbrook Stamina - Rondo 6-2 Rondo. of course its not that easy. its getting to the point where some boston fans just want a sg at the point instead of a pg. does Rondo need to improve his shot? absolutely. but ppl just want a guy to jack up shots at the pg position, its not gunna happen.
    Posted by JamezHill24[/QUOTE]

gotta go change my depends again..... I am laughing so hard..... how people can just ignore what the consensus is makes it obvious to me why MA is such a communist state that has no idea what the vast majority of the people in the country think......  again, if Rondo was in OKC they would have just finished their season and if Westbrook was in Boston they would be gearing up for game 1 right now against the Bulls.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

[QUOTE] There is about as much chance OKC trading Westbrook for Rondo, as there is of them trading Durant for Big Baby!!!
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

Plus, didn't Westbrook totally out play Rondo when he was running good and they went heads-up last season?

OKC has no danger of losing Westbrook which is why the Celts should focus on dealing Rondo for CP3 or D.Williams. Both of which are highly likely to bail on their teams after 2011/12.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aznefn. Show aznefn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo for Westbrook... thoughts. : Plus, didn't Westbrook totally out play Rondo when he was running good and they went heads-up last season? OKC has no danger of losing Westbrook which is why the Celts should focus on dealing Rondo for CP3 or D.Williams. Both of which are highly likely to bail on their teams after 2011/12.
    Posted by wfdog[/QUOTE]
    If your talking one of those two as long as you can lock them up long term then do it .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]go down the list and compare the players.  Scoring - Westbrook Passing - Rondo Rebounding - Rondo Defense - Rondo Directing/Leadership ability - Rondo  Toughness - Rondo Durability - Westbrook Stamina - Rondo 6-2 Rondo. of course its not that easy. its getting to the point where some boston fans just want a sg at the point instead of a pg. does Rondo need to improve his shot? absolutely. but ppl just want a guy to jack up shots at the pg position, its not gunna happen.
    Posted by JamezHill24[/QUOTE]

You're embarrassing yourself!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Westbrook is a two guard.  He is a very poor distributor and will never change.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

It is a fact that Rondo is a serious liability as far as his scoring goes.  He does not need to be a dominat scorer.  He needs to do enough to keep defenders more happy.

However, Ray Allen is a lot more effective because Rondo gets him the ball on the money and Ray just has to go up and shoot.  That is a special ability that Rondo has.  That is why Doc values him so much.

I don't believe that Westbrook will be an upgarde over Rondo.  Atleast not with the current Celtics roster.  The last thing the Celts need is a ball hog scoring point guard.

I am not ready to judge Rondo just by his performance this year.  He had to deal with a lot of injuries this year.  He was much better last year.

If the Celts have any chips, they should look to shore up the center position.  If Rondo is to be traded, an exchange for Westbrook will just be bad idea.  Instead, Danny should look to get a servicable point guard and a bigger upgrade at 2/3/4/5 position.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo for Westbrook... thoughts. :  You're embarrassing yourself!!!
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

please tell me anything that i said that was false. try me.