Rondo, Green, and two number ones

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Re: Rondo, Green, and two number ones

Danny's Big Gamble II .... Get Paul and use him to entice Howard to request a trade here, then worry about contract extensions once they're both here with PP and, and ... Bueller?

To Get DH that means KG at a minimum. Then some roster rebuilding once again with the MLE and VMs ... If Howard agrees to an Extend & Trade then the odds are better that Paul reups.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

All that for a small upgrade at point guard? And for a guy that you have almost no chance of keeping beyond next year? This would make the Perk trade look brilliant. Danny can't really be that stupid. Can he?

If they want to move Rondo at all costs, fine. But there's no way throwing away two first rounders makes any sense. But then again, that's good old Danny and his tunnel vision. Once he sets his mind to something, the long term consequences don't seem to matter.

And as for Dwight Howard, I'm not going to touch on the Celtics chances of getting him. But I honestly think he is one of the most overrated players in pro sports. So you would have to grossly overpay him. And the guy has the Lebron gene. As the games get bigger he gets smaller. If "Superman" were truly a great player he would have won at least one title with the talent he had around him.

Overrated thug with no killer instinct. I want no part of him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I'd love Dwight in green...CP3 not as much, I think he's overrated, but if he was the means to that end it would work. That would give them their PG and C of the future. Add to that a rebounding PF, and you still need to go get your big dagger at the 2 or 3. PP has been that guy for the Cs for a long time, but I think you need to get a player like that for the future. CP3 and Dwight are great tools, but they need that player, like a Kobe in LA, who's going to go out and win it. The one reason the heat will have success isn't LeBron or Bosh, it's Wade. He's one of those guys.

There aren't many of those guys out there. Other than Durant, Wade, and in the older group of players Kobe and PP...who is there?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

It's alot about winning another championship this year.  It is rebuilding for sure after this year with KG and Ray leaving.  The picks are worthless because they are going to be late 1st round.  Loading up makes some sense in that it gives us a chance for another championship, it also makes a lot of sense to be really bad right away if you are going to rebuild after make a go of it this year.  And there is a possibility of Paul staying if we win, and maybe KG and Ray will have something left too or Howard might come even though that is a very remote possibility.

DA probably does not feel as good about Rondo as many fans are.  He makes the Celtics a little better after the Big 3 are done but maybe too good for a rebuilding team and not good enough to amount to anything.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Here's the most likely scenario if they swap PGs - Paul gets hurt (again) and is a non-factor, besides, his head is never in this year anyway.  He'll leave at the first opportunity.  They won't get Howard and have traded away any youth and vet experience to bring along the younger players they have.  The end result is a lottery team for the foreseeable future.  If they keep Rondo and Green, add a center, keep the "Big Three" intact, they can compete at a high level despite age or whatever.  Some athletes can play well for extended years and some can't; I happen to believe that Allen and KG can. They have some opportunities to add decent, not all-star caliber, players to back the starters - but they still need a mobile and tough center.  Especially in a shortened season, they can do some serious damage and go deep into the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

painter, I think you got that backward.  The first scenario is what you want for a rebuilding team.  The latter scenario is mediocrity for unnecessarily extended period of time.  Old team does not get better, they slowly get worse.  Compete they will, but winning championship they won't.

We have tried this for the last 3 years with Perks and other best big men option we could find.  It did not work, and the big 3 are so much older now and will be so much older next and the following years.  At some point we have to change plan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

C.Paul is a small upgrade over Rondo. Boston would be giving up way too much to get him. If it were me I would be making more of an attempt to get Deandre Jordan who has a similar game to D.Howard. Ainge would be getting rid of his team's depth plus at least one number one pick in next year's draft in what figures to be a very deep one for a guy who is unlikely to stay with the team after one year. The person who wrote that making the trade for C.Paul would make the Perk trade look brilliant is absolutely correct.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

A few points to consider that I have not seen discussed...

1. Even if CP3 is only a slight upgarde (I think he is a bigger upgrade), we were only a slight upgrade from possibly beating the Heat.  If we are not going to get the upgrade here, where are we going to get it to the degree that it changes our championship odds?

2. What CP3 can provide is a much more effective end of qtr, end of shot clock option.  No one on the current roster has the pure 1-on-1 game to dominate the end of the shot clock/qtr because Rondo doesn't have the perimeter jump shot threat.  Our end of qtrs are often multi-option plays (and the brush screen between KG & RA got disrupted and we had a horrid final possession that game vs. the Heat) or PP shooting a step back 19' J.  CP3 FUNDAMENTALLY changes what Doc and the team can do at the end of qtrs - which could be a major difference maker even if CP3 is only a slight overall upgarde over RR.

3.  Ask yourself this... would you prefer another Finals appearance and possibly championship and then an average year and then maybe a some lean times (i.e., possible outcome of renting CP3) or be very good this year but, most likely, lose in round 2 this year and then be a solid 5-8 seed for the foreseeable future (think the Cavs team that always go tbeat by MJ and the Bulls).  Which would you prefer?

4.  If you plan to rent (and maybe figure have an option to buy) CP3, the question that has to be asked is will he go 100% with the team he is on or already just be looking to NY for the next year.  If it is the latter, than the Knicks will never be a championship team to begin with.  I think it would be the former (particularly when he gets around KG, RA, etc.) and we should give the "rental" option some real consideration - as I am sure DA & Doc are doing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

DO IT AND DO IT NOW!!!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo, Green, and two number ones:
    [QUOTE]I find it hard to believe that the Clips would give up Gordon and Jordan for CP3. Who would be left, Griffin and CP3? Ugh! If the Warriors get Tyson Chandler, most probably CP3 would follow via trade for Steph Curry.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Not so fast, man:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217072/Clippers_Withholding_Gordon_Jordan_From_Paul_Trade_Offer

Warriors still possible - as is Boston!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Let's do it Ainge!!

Rondo, Green and #1 for Paul

Even if Paul doesn't resign the C's will have a ton of cap space with KG and RA expiring deals.

Keep in mind, Ainge could also turn around and do a S&T with Paul. So once we have the asset it's easier to make moves than getting the asset.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

What if.. The celts get CP3 and a veteran free agent.  DHoward stays put for the year and becomes a free agent next year.  Now Ainge has the cap space (KG and Ray leaving) and the talent (CP3) to draw DHoward in.

Eh?  Eh?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

[QUOTE]What if.. The celts get CP3 and a veteran free agent.  DHoward stays put for the year and becomes a free agent next year.  Now Ainge has the cap space (KG and Ray leaving) and the talent (CP3) to draw DHoward in. Eh?  Eh?
    Posted by Ender587[/QUOTE]
    That has been the dream scenario all along but CP3 may be for not if DH signs a long term deal this season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

We could entice him to stay under that scenario, certainly......
    but, could we also entice him to stay if we had Big Al and Millsap?
    Then we could sign and trade BBD for a SG.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

[QUOTE]We could entice him to stay under that scenario, certainly...... but, could we also entice him to stay if we had Big Al and Millsap? Then we could sign and trade BBD for a SG.
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I'm hoping that Doc can work his magic and get CP3 to re-up with the C's. Then, even if DH isn't avail, I still think CP3 & PP are a better draw for FA's next year then Rondo & PP.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

If this trade is made we are looking at another 20 years being horrible.

this quote from over at celticslife says it best.

Not only is Ainge offering Rondo for Chris Paul, despite Rondo's better health and much smaller contract, (remeber Paul's knees are only going to get worse.) but he's also willing to kick in Jeff Green, who he sacrificed Kendrick Perkins and last season for. But that's not all. Here's a first rounder New Orleans (probably the Clippers pick). Still not enough? Here's another 1st rounder. So if Paul leaves for New York next Summer, we have no Paul, no Rondo, no Green, and no draft picks to rebuild with. There's going All-In and then there's Crazy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I think Ainge wants to get Paul and then parlay Paul into something else if Paul doesn't resign.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]If this trade is made we are looking at another 20 years being horrible.
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]

If this is true then the Hornets should not hesitate and jump on this deal and have a great next 20 years.  If we are bad for the next 20 years, it won't be because we lost Rondo, Green or the 2 non-lottery picks.  And I think we are assured to be horrible anyway in a couple of years if we don't do something like this.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo, Green, and two number ones : If this is true then the Hornets should not hesitate and jump on this deal and have a great next 20 years.  If we are bad for the next 20 years, it won't be because we lost Rondo, Green or the 2 non-lottery picks.  And I think we are assured to be horrible anyway in a couple of years if we don't do something like this.
    Posted by scubber[/QUOTE]

If they had half a brain at all they would make this trade.  They get an all star point guard at half the price of their current all star point guard (who is leaving no matter what.) This would free up alot of cap room to go after free agents and they'd have some talent in Green Rondo and the draft picks to draw said free agents. With those players they'd still be a semi-competitive team (which makes them more attractive to free agents.) Not to mention Rondo's health is better than Paul's who has a knee that is going to go bad again at some point. That is the nature of the kind of knee injury he had.

The Celtics on the other hand, would be left assuming Paul leaves, with nothing. No draft picks. no Chris Paul, and no Rondo or Green to convince a potential high price free agent that the Celtics can compete. Why would anyone sign here after that scenario? They won't. Heck the only talent we wil left on the team is an aging Paul Pierce.

The trade would be a disaster. Like the perkins trade was, and the only reason it hasn't happend is the hornets wants stephen Curry instead, a ball hog point guard who doesn't play defense. 

I'm hoping they are dumb enough to hold out for Curry.