Rondo is a ELITE point guard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Re: Rondo is a ELITE point guard

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

when the ball is in your hands 90% of the time, you are the only one who can get an assist! Which by the way is the most over rated stat in basketball!! Pass the ball to Pierce and he hits a 25 ft. three, that's an assist baby!!  If elite means Rondo is a top 10 point guard, i agree he's elite!!

[/QUOTE]

Agree that the assist is way overated. See my earlier post. In the last 22 years the assist leader on the champ has ranked 15th or worse in the assist rankings 18 times. In 12 of those 22 years the champ did not even have a player ranked in the top 20. The best ranking was Kidd in 2010-11 with a 8th place finish.

seems 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to SeemsToMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

when the ball is in your hands 90% of the time, you are the only one who can get an assist! Which by the way is the most over rated stat in basketball!! Pass the ball to Pierce and he hits a 25 ft. three, that's an assist baby!!  If elite means Rondo is a top 10 point guard, i agree he's elite!!

[/QUOTE]

I suppose you could say that if one guy is dominating the assist category, the offense of that team may become predictable.

Would it be better to have 5 guys on a team that average 5 assists each or only one that gets 15 a game? Probably the former.

Agree that the assist is way overated. See my earlier post. In the last 22 years the assist leader on the champ has ranked 15th or worse in the assist rankings 18 times. In 12 of those 22 years the champ did not even have a player ranked in the top 20. The best ranking was Kidd in 2010-11 with a 8th place finish.

seems 

[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to basketbert's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I suppose you could say that if one guy is dominating the assist category, the offense of that team may become predictable.

Would it be better to have 5 guys on a team that average 5 assists each or only one that gets 15 a game? Probably the former.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

seems 

[/QUOTE]

Thats because  a lot of those teams had guys like Jordan and Kobe who had the ball in their hands more than the pg, and therefore had more assists.

Obviously if rondo was playing with Jordan or Kobe he would not have the same amount of assists because he would be throwing them the ball and getting out of the way,

That has nothing to do with a stat being overrated, it has to do with certain players being so good they can take over the game.

The Celtics don't have any of those players, which is why Rondo has so many assists.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

snakeoil                                                                                                                                                                                  What difference does it make whether one player or several players share  the assist role? As a matter of fact does it really matter whether a basket is  assisted or unassisted ?

seems

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

snakeoil                                                                                                                                                                                  What difference does it make whether one player or several players share  the assist role? As a matter of fact does it really matter whether a basket is  assisted or unassisted ?

seems

[/QUOTE]

It matters statistically because it is showing the player with the assist got the ball to the scorer in good position to score.

You could make the same point about steals, blocked shots, turnovers, rebounds, the only thing you cant make that point with is scoring.

Top assists all time Stockton, Kidd, Mark Jackson, Magic Johnson, Steve Nash, Oscar Robertson, Isiah Thomas

Pretty good players huh? Combined the top 7 assist guys of all time have won 8 championships. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

seems

[/QUOTE]

It matters statistically because it is showing the player with the assist got the ball to the scorer in good position to score.

You could make the same point about steals, blocked shots, turnovers, rebounds, the only thing you cant make that point with is scoring.

[/QUOTE]

The ultimate goal is to score and it just does not matter whether its assisted or unassisted. Perhaps the only stat that is a reliable indicator of a teams ability is the point differential between points scored and points allowed. This represents a summation of a teams ranking in the various stat catergories.

seems

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

seems

[/QUOTE]
    Seems , yes I think it does matter.  Why do you think Doc is always referring to how many assists they have compared to baskets?  He wants to know if they are sharing the ball. 

As far as having 3 guys averaging 5 assists compared to one guy getting 15. We don't have the other guys to get those 5 assists.  Would we rather have Pierce, JT, or Lee handling the ball?  I wouldn't. Yes Rondo does have the ball the most.  I wonder why.

BTW  I think Rondo handled Jenning rather well last nite. Jennings 1-11 with 5 assists.  Granted Jennings got by him some in the first half and was able to dish because of that.  Oh well you can't have it all.

KY-  You did know Ray plays for the Heat now didn't you?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

seems

[/QUOTE]
    Seems , yes I think it does matter.  Why do you think Doc is always referring to how many assists they have compared to baskets?  He wants to know if they are sharing the ball. 

As far as having 3 guys averaging 5 assists compared to one guy getting 15. We don't have the other guys to get those 5 assists.  Would we rather have Pierce, JT, or Lee handling the ball?  I wouldn't. Yes Rondo does have the ball the most.  I wonder why.

BTW  I think Rondo handled Jenning rather well last nite. Jennings 1-11 with 5 assists.  Granted Jennings got by him some in the first half and was able to dish because of that.  Oh well you can't have it all.

KY-  You did know Ray plays for the Heat now didn't you?

[/QUOTE] Who does kobe play for? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not 100% sure but I think if Rondo gets double digit assists tonight he will be in 3rd place all time in consecutive games double digits.  I think he would pass Stockton for third with only Stock and Magic ahead of him.  No its not Paul or Deron or Rose thats doing this,  it is our very own Rondo.  Imagine we still have people around here raggin on this guy.  Don't know what you got until its gone!

[/QUOTE]

Kudos.  Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none!"  I often hear how other points do this and that better than Rondo; however, when you put his whole body of works against the others, you begin to see how easily Rondo distinguishes himself from the others.  Last year, Rondo in the playoffs began to show what I have always seen in his game; i.e., when he wants to be selfish enough to take over a game, he absolutely and most certainly can.  You only have to look at how the cHEAT used their whole roster to try to slow him down, even Queenie James the MVP had some difficulty staying near or in front of Rondo.  When the stakes are highest, Rondo will be there, injuries notwithstanding.  Through the first six games of a largely meaningless regular season, I can still see flashes of the brilliance that comprises Rondo.  He is making an awesome effort to help integrate a lot of new pieces into a cohesive unit that has the talent to take it all and lead the Celtics TEAM to the promised land.  On the other hand if he were not as unselfish, he could score largely at will while taking a beating going to the hole.  He could easily combine that with an ever-improving outside game and yank up 20-35 shots a game to average 30+ points a game, ala KoMe CryingAnt.  Instead, he has chosen to stay within the framework of a team and distribute the ball better than any of his other contemporaries, rebound at a higher pace than the other purportedly ELITE point guards, be in the top ten of those in FG percentage and steals and take a challenge (like he did last night on Brandon Jennings) and play shut down defense on pretenders.  He may not YET be considered the best player in the Association, bar none; the MVP; or the "best point guard in the Association, ever; however, he is NOW easily the "best point guard in the Association, bar none!"  Think about it; what other point guard demands so much respect that you MUST put the Queen MVP on him to have a chance to win an NBA title?

As Always,

CELTICS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamLock