Rondo Redux

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Rondo Redux

[I posted a version of this a couple of years ago, but the list was lost when the Board reconfigured itself.]

Below, in no particular order (after my memory gave out, I perused rosters), are the 41 point guards the Celtics tried out after DJ retired.  There may be as many as half a dozen more shooting guards and swing men the team threw out there just to see what would happen.  Other than Douglas, Billips, Wesley, and a younger Gary Payton, there aren’t many on that list you could call First Class PGs.  We spent years lamenting “The Celtics need a point guard.” 

Now we have RR.  Is he perfect?  No.  Is he high maintenance?  Probably.  Is he someone you’d like to have as a next door neighbor?  Or have a beer with?  Maybe not.  In an era blessed with a plethora of PGs, is he in the top five?  Almost certainly.

Should we be thankful we have him?  Well, I think so.  I don’t think the people who are so eager to move him have a proper sense of the history below – or are so blinded by CP3, Rose, etc. that they don’t realize our good fortune.  (Or just like to grouse about things. J)

Brian Shaw, Sherman Douglas, Greg Minor, Doug Overton, Calbert Cheaney, JR Bremer, Bimbo Coles, John Bagley, Michael Hawkins, Rickey Green, David Wesley, John Bagley,  Chucky Atkins, Dana Barros, Marcus Banks, Delonte West, Joe Forte, Chauncy Billips, Kenny Anderson, Tyus Edney, Tony Delk, Dan Dickau, Chris Herren, Dee Brown, Gary Payton, Marlon Garnett, Mike James, Chris Corciani, Sam Cassell, Carlos Arroyo, Keyon Dooling, Curtis Lee, Ricky Davis, Leandro Barbosa, Milt Palacio, Kevin Pritchard, Gabe Pruitt, Sebastian Telfair, Wayne Turner, AJ Wynder, Rajon Rondo.

Cheers --

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Rondo Redux

Maybe I'm eager to move Rondo  because I DO HAVE a proper sense of history. I go back to the days of Cousy, K.C. Jones, JoJo White, Nate Archibald and DJ who were mature, unselfish, team oriented PGs whom I admired as players and as grown ups.

In this context, Rondo isn't nearly so appealing a Celtic PG.

Compared to the revolving door PGs you list  (since DJ left)  to draw  more favorable comparisons, these guys played with some Gawd-awful Celtic teams that would make Rondo look absolutely terrible too... and he'd likely be stuck in a H.S. coaching job somewhere by now.

Rondo has had it real easy compared to so many who have worn Celtic green. And he seems to appreciate it not at all.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Pud --

I too remember the ones you mentioned, but Rondo is the closest to one of those we've had in 20 years, and I don't want to go back to the days of revolving doors.  He may have his problems, but he's not a knucklehead  and I'd rather worry about our other needs.  (I think of point guards as like baseball catchers -- when you've a good (or even reasonable) one, you don't send him packing on a whim (Carleton Fisk anyone?).  I remember Bob Tillman. :-) )

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe I'm eager to move Rondo  because I DO HAVE a proper sense of history. I go back to the days of Cousy, K.C. Jones, JoJo White, Nate Archibald and DJ who were mature, unselfish, team oriented PGs whom I admired as players and as grown ups.

In this context, Rondo isn't nearly so appealing a Celtic PG.

Compared to the revolving door PGs you list  (since DJ left)  to draw  more favorable comparisons, these guys played with some Gawd-awful Celtic teams that would make Rondo look absolutely terrible too... and he'd likely be stuck in a H.S. coaching job somewhere by now.

Rondo has had it real easy compared to so many who have worn Celtic green. And he seems to appreciate it not at all.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Your wife and dog(s) must take great joy in your venting 99% of your anger at Rondo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In addition to the five superior PGs Pud mentioned, I would rather have an unspectacular player like Ainge, Ford or Seigfried who all played consistently decent team ball every night, than a sometimes spectacular but unpredictable inconsistent bonehead Rondo.  

I hope his recent negative publicity doesn't hurt his near term trade value.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Oh I do want the Celtics to trade Rondo and in turn improve the team. I am not a fan of Rondo's character or team play, but I don't "hate" him.  I don't even hate the Lakers.  Hate is a counter-productive emotion, especially in something as comparatively trivial as sports.  Try to relax. Everybody has opinions.  Yours is no better than anyone elses. I may disagree with your opinion, but I don't disrespect it. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I hope his recent negative publicity doesn't hurt his near term trade value."

Why? He's not being traded. 

LMAO @pud waiting for Bob Cousy to walk through that door. None of the players he cited have played point guard in the last 20 years. Rondo playing better point guard that the Celts have had in decades but that's not good enough for pud because he's not a legend like Cousy. I love the old Celts but I feel sorry for folks who can't make an adjustment and appreciate today's game and players even if the mentalities are different. The irony is that pud likes point guards who are great shooters even if they don't pass the ball. Rondo passes the ball like crazy but he's selfish. If anything he's not selfish enough. 

Ironically enough Rondo's game is much closer to Cousy's than it is to today's shoot first guards. Pud here's some Cousy quotes on Rondo for your wall: "Boston Celtics Hall of Famer Bob Cousy, to put it mildly, doesn't think his old team should trade Rajon Rondo. I'm out of the loop, but boy, unless he's a serial killer on the side I wouldn’t let this kid go,” Cousy told ESPNNewYork.com. âœI don’t know where you’d find a better point guard.”

More from Cousy: "“I’ve been saying since probably the first year that it seems to me he touches all the bases for a point guard,” said the Cooz. “If there is a negative - and I don’t know how much of a negative it is - he seems to be insecure about his shooting. But, hell, the guy’s shooting almost 52 percent. How much better could he be if he looked for his shot all the time? But that’s not the function of a point guard.

“Everything else is there. He rebounds much taller than he is. He’s a tough, tough defender. And he creates well. He adds a little something, so he’s obviously getting more confident with the moves and the imagination that he shows. As far as I’m concerned, he’s their most valuable player this year.”

(both quotes from late last year/summer). 

Of course Pud will find a way to admire Cousy but completely disregard his expertise evaluating Rondo. That's how haters hate.

Looking forward to watching Rondo play in green for years to come. Feel bad for those who can't appreciate his competitive nature and unique skill set. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In response to Number6Fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[I posted a version of this a couple of years ago, but the list was lost when the Board reconfigured itself.]

Below, in no particular order (after my memory gave out, I perused rosters), are the 41 point guards the Celtics tried out after DJ retired.  There may be as many as half a dozen more shooting guards and swing men the team threw out there just to see what would happen.  Other than Douglas, Billips, Wesley, and a younger Gary Payton, there aren’t many on that list you could call First Class PGs.  We spent years lamenting “The Celtics need a point guard.” 

Now we have RR.  Is he perfect?  No.  Is he high maintenance?  Probably.  Is he someone you’d like to have as a next door neighbor?  Or have a beer with?  Maybe not.  In an era blessed with a plethora of PGs, is he in the top five?  Almost certainly.

Should we be thankful we have him?  Well, I think so.  I don’t think the people who are so eager to move him have a proper sense of the history below – or are so blinded by CP3, Rose, etc. that they don’t realize our good fortune.  (Or just like to grouse about things. J)

Brian Shaw, Sherman Douglas, Greg Minor, Doug Overton, Calbert Cheaney, JR Bremer, Bimbo Coles, John Bagley, Michael Hawkins, Rickey Green, David Wesley, John Bagley,  Chucky Atkins, Dana Barros, Marcus Banks, Delonte West, Joe Forte, Chauncy Billips, Kenny Anderson, Tyus Edney, Tony Delk, Dan Dickau, Chris Herren, Dee Brown, Gary Payton, Marlon Garnett, Mike James, Chris Corciani, Sam Cassell, Carlos Arroyo, Keyon Dooling, Curtis Lee, Ricky Davis, Leandro Barbosa, Milt Palacio, Kevin Pritchard, Gabe Pruitt, Sebastian Telfair, Wayne Turner, AJ Wynder, Rajon Rondo.

Cheers --

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Rajon Rondo  -- "the best point guard in the Association, bar none!"

As Always,

CELTICS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamLock