Rondo Tradebait?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Rondo Tradebait?

Article I just found.  Very interesting.  Can't say that I disagree with it.  Especially since over the last couple years we have won nearly 66% of the games Rondo has missed.  Please don't start with I am a Rondo hater either.  I am not.  Lets just say I agree with a lot of this article.

Yet again, Rajon Rondo has been brought up as possible trade bait and maybe it's time to strongly consider moving him.

In a chat on espn.com Wednesday, NBA writer Chad Ford said this about the Celtics making a trade:

Yes I would put them up there with the Rockets, Grizzlies and Lakers as the most active teams right now. I'd be shocked if they didn't get something done. May or may not include Rondo, but the Celtics are looking for a youngish player to fill out their front line.

Now Ford did not say the Celtics are shopping Rondo or have included him in any trade proposals and “may or may not” is not very strong language. But Ford does have his finger on the pulse of the league and this is not the first time Rondo has been the subject of trade rumors.

Yes the Celtics have won four straight, including three against top competition, but as all the fans were gushing about the team now being on the right track, they forgot one important point. Teams, unless they are very desperate, won't trade struggling players because their value is not there.

Win a few games against good teams and show what the players can really do and the value goes back up. Courtney Lee looks much more valuable now than he did two weeks ago and Jared Sullinger looks like a legit future starter.

That's the problem for fans, the players show their value and, in turn, the fans value them. But if you don't believe this team, as currently constructed, can win the title, which seems to be the case since the Celtics are linked to so many trade rumors meaning Danny Ainge is at least not completely sold on this squad, then you need to do something about it. Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce are on a very short timetable and they certainly won't be traded.

The most valuable pieces the Celtics have are Rondo, Avery Bradley and Sullinger. The Celtics seem hesitant to trade Bradley, but if they are looking for a front court player, then that means Sullinger may (there's that word again) be on the move.

Given both players value right now, a package based around Rondo and Sullinger should pull in top talent. Be that Josh Smith, DeMarcus Cousins (please no) or another “youngish” big.

Here are some reasons to entertain the idea of letting Rondo go:

Rondo's defense has fallen this season. According to Basketball Reference, Rondo is right at his career average of 1.9 steals per game, but his defensive rating is tied for the worst of his career at 103 points allowed per 100 possessions. 

Rondo's defensive win share, an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player due to his defense is 1.4 this season. His next worse defensive win share season? His rookie campaign at 2.6.

If Bradley were playing all year, then you could make the argument that Rondo didn't have to do as much defensively. But the Bradley/Rondo combo has only played together for four games so far this year.

Rondo's defense just doesn't pass the eye test this year either. He isn't as engaged defensively and is more prone to reach for the steal and pick up a foul or let the guy drive by then keep the man in front of him. Rondo is almost as talented defensively as Bradley, part of the reason Celtics fans drool at the possibility of the two being in the back court for the foreseeable future, but defense just doesn't seem to be a top priority for Rondo anymore.

Rondo has not taken the next step to be a superstar or franchise player in the league. He doesn't take the team on his shoulders and carry them when everyone else is having an off night. The most telling instance was when CSNNE's analyst Donny Marshall said it was “impossible” for Rondo to be great every night. Really? I'm pretty sure LeBron James, Chris Paul and Kevin Durant are great every night or at least 90 percent of nights.

The same can't be said for Rondo. His jumper hasn't improved enough for opposing defenses to worry about, he still can't shoot free throws (63% this year) and now his defense is slipping. This guy is in his seventh season. How long are we supposed to wait until he takes the leap to number one guy?

Then there is the attitude and composure. Rondo just came back from his fourth suspension in the past year. While this recent suspension is itself suspect, he and Doc Rivers have both admitted Rondo has a reputation with the league and that will follow him the rest of his career. The guy just doesn't keep his head.

The bigger point in all of this is simple: point guards don't win championships. Think about it. When was the last time an elite point guard won the title? The last time the point guard was best player on a championship team was Detroit in 2004 with Chauncey Billups and even that is arguable since that squad was the definition of team with every starter being key to the team's success.

The key to today's NBA is wings and bigs. You have Durant, James, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan, etc. Then you have a legit chance to win it all. (side note: Russell Westbrook could keep Durant from winning a title since he needs the ball so much. See last year.)

The proof is in the pudding. Is it simple coincidence that Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd (in his prime, not a role player on Dallas) and Allen Iverson have a combined Zero championships? Now that this is “Rondo's team” you can expect much of the same.

Rondo's put up great numbers in the playoffs and he is truly a great player, but not all great players win championships. Ask yourself, would you rather have John Stockton (hall of famer, no rings) or trade for a big of equal talent to Rondo and have a lesser point guard like Derek Fisher (five rings).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Rondo Tradebait?

I like Rondo, but as I have said on numerous other threads I would have no problem trading him if a good return came back.

He is a top ten point guard.  Yes I would trade him for a top twenty big.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

It all depends on who came in the trade.  Like I said we have won close to 66% of the  games Rondo has missed the last couple years.  I am not saying trade him,  merely posting a article that brings up some very good points.   I do not think it would be a disaster if we did trade him either.  He would probably bring us the most value in a trade.

This part of the article is very telling.

The proof is in the pudding. Is it simple coincidence that Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd (in his prime, not a role player on Dallas) and Allen Iverson have a combined Zero championships? Now that this is “Rondo's team” you can expect much of the same.

Rondo's put up great numbers in the playoffs and he is truly a great player, but not all great players win championships. Ask yourself, would you rather have John Stockton (hall of famer, no rings) or trade for a big of equal talent to Rondo and have a lesser point guard like Derek Fisher (five rings).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trading Rondo this season would be a bigger disaster than the Perk trade 2 years ago. Team chemistry would be disrupted big time!

If Doc is comfortable with Bradley at PG then by all means trade Rondo. But if Doc has to coach a new PG for the remainder of the season, we can kiss the chances of making it back to the ECF goodbye.

[/QUOTE]

And no Bradley is not the guy to fill a PG role on this team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Rondo, but as I have said on numerous other threads I would have no problem trading him if a good return came back.

[/QUOTE]

To move Rondo now would be potentially very disruptive to the team.  I cannot imagine Doc and DA are not ultra aware of that, so if the deal presents itself who knows.  I think the next few games will be very helpful in determining how big the trade should be. Adding a big man like Gortat sounds like the best move for the current team as the players moved would be less disruptive.  And of course Rondo would not be moved in that trade. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to concord27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To move Rondo now would be potentially very disruptive to the team.  I cannot imagine Doc and DA are not ultra aware of that, so if the deal presents itself who knows.  I think the next few games will be very helpful in determining how big the trade should be. Adding a big man like Gortat sounds like the best move for the current team as the players moved would be less disruptive.  And of course Rondo would not be moved in that trade. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Thanks for the post! This might explain RRs play as of late. 

If they trade him, they should get a young, quality big in return. One who is not a head case! 

The only trade scenario that immediately comes to mind, that I like, is Horford and Teague. I am sure there are others. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Article I just found.  Very interesting.  Can't say that I disagree with it.  Especially since over the last couple years we have won nearly 66% of the games Rondo has missed.  Please don't start with I am a Rondo hater either.  I am not.  Lets just say I agree with a lot of this article.

Given both players value right now, a package based around Rondo and Sullinger should pull in top talent. Be that Josh Smith, DeMarcus Cousins (please no) or another “youngish” big.

[/QUOTE]

You make some great points! and a great read. That said I don't know of a player other than a top three overall  that I would trade RR and JS for.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trading Rondo this season would be a bigger disaster than the Perk trade 2 years ago. Team chemistry would be disrupted big time!

If Doc is comfortable with Bradley at PG then by all means trade Rondo. But if Doc has to coach a new PG for the remainder of the season, we can kiss the chances of making it back to the ECF goodbye.

[/QUOTE]

Disrupted? In a good way you mean?

Anyway, we don't know anything about the team chemistry.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to concord27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%

[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure. I think the stats will show that the team has done quite all right with Rondo out. I know, we don't know about playoffs and long-term, but it may not be that big a deal.

I'm in the camp that would move him if we could get a very good big.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

I don't think you mess up the team by trading Rondo for a good big.

There's life w/o Rondo, I think you might be surprised.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Rondo won't bring as much as we need him to bring. Celtics fans think a lot more of him then the rest of the league does!  But in my opinion it's time for him to go!  I'd rather have a point who can shoot free throws and has to be defended, than one who looks great at times, but at the end of games is a liabilty to the team. Trade him for a big, and at the end of the year make a play for Eric Bledsoe of the Clippers, he's too good to stay on as back up to Paul for much longer. Maybe Pierce would agree to be traded to the Clips, for Bledsoe and Butler!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I would be okay with Rondo for Evans and Cousins..........that's about it.

I also feel getting a 3rd team involved (TOR) might help us get Lowry or Calderon, both of whom are "good" point guards to team with Evans and Bradley.

It is risky, as this is now a PG driven league......but I think the chemistry issue with Rondo is over-rated.  We still have KG and PP..............

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would be okay with Rondo for Evans and Cousins..........that's about it.

I also feel getting a 3rd team involved (TOR) might help us get Lowry or Calderon, both of whom are "good" point guards to team with Evans and Bradley.

It is risky, as this is now a PG driven league......but I think the chemistry issue with Rondo is over-rated.  We still have KG and PP..............

[/QUOTE]  Agree about the chemistry, Lowry would be a good pick up also!!

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Don't get me wrong by what I said above. Rondo is a very good pg, and I would be very surprised if he was traded.

Just saying I would trade him for the right big.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Its just a article,  just like every other thread we have seen about trading Sully, Bradley, Lee, Bass, Melo, Terry,  etc.  Like Snake said it would have to be for the right big.  No one wants to GIVE Rondo away.