Rondo vs. DJ comparison

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Rondo vs. DJ comparison

Interesting article today in the Globe:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2012/03/dennis_johnson_rajon_rondo_cel.html?p1=Well_Sports_links

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: Rondo vs. DJ comparison

In Response to Rondo vs. DJ comparison:
    [QUOTE]Interesting article today in the Globe: http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2012/03/dennis_johnson_rajon_rondo_cel.html?p1=Well_Sports_links
    Posted by basketbert[/QUOTE]

Interesting!  I was making the same comparision just a few days back.  Good to see that others see it that way too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

petulance is as petulance does.
    I'd be inerested to hear what those who think Rondo should be sent packing think about the comparisons in this article (besides the obvious free throw and clutch shooting ones).  Those, I already get.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

When someone wants out... they want out... and there is nothing you can do or should do to stop them from leaving.

Stop coddling them. Let them go. Maybe they will learn something at the next stop that they simply can't learn at their present stop.

Maybe the kid will finally grow up.

Or maybe he will crash.

At some point, we all need to be pushed out of the nest to fly or fail on our own.

Otherwise, we never have a chance to learn anything... and resentment grows.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Amazes me..  Rondo has an incredible one game stat line and so many crowning him as great and all timer.

Comparing to DJ?? Not in my book. DJ played big time, especially in the playoffs. I felt comfortable and safe with the ball in his hands in the 4th qtr or final couple possessions. He was money, hit big shots and FTs. Rondo isnt near the same zip code.

Defensively, its a wider gap. Rondo gets superlatives for his steals. Some are legit off quickness and anticipation, many off of bad gambles which backfire more than not.  DJ was a defensive stopper. Teams didnt pick him off so easily like they do Rondo... DJ could handle many players one-on-one and move them into strength, Rondo gets lost 1on1 almost too easily.

The day before Rondos Knick game... and the day after.. Does this one game really elevate Rondo to such a level? Hey, if he put up close to those numbers consistenly, played real defense and didnt shrivel in the 4th qtr.... you might have a point

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo vs. DJ comparison:
    [QUOTE]Amazes me..  Rondo has an incredible one game stat line and so many crowning him as great and all timer. Comparing to DJ?? Not in my book. DJ played big time, especially in the playoffs. I felt comfortable and safe with the ball in his hands in the 4th qtr or final couple possessions. He was money, hit big shots and FTs. Rondo isnt near the same zip code. Defensively, its a wider gap. Rondo gets superlatives for his steals. Some are legit off quickness and anticipation, many off of bad gambles which backfire more than not.  DJ was a defensive stopper. Teams didnt pick him off so easily like they do Rondo... DJ could handle many players one-on-one and move them into strength, Rondo gets lost 1on1 almost too easily. The day before Rondos Knick game... and the day after.. Does this one game really elevate Rondo to such a level? Hey, if he put up close to those numbers consistenly, played real defense and didnt shrivel in the 4th qtr.... you might have a point
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]
    DJ made the Celtics complete when he came in 1984.  He could play defense and get up on people like a bigger stronger Avery Bradley.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Some pains in the neck you would rather have playing for you than against you.  You could probably pencil in losses to any team you traded Rondo to, so you would have to be sure to get back superior value -- not just trade for the sake of trading.

Rondo isn't DJ -- but he's the best PG we've had since DJ retired -- and we've tried a lot of them:

Kenny Anderson Chucky Atkins John Bagley Marcus Banks Dana Barros Chauncy Billips J.R. Bremer Dee Brown Sam Cassell Calbert Cheaney Bimbo Coles Chris Chorciani Ricky Davis Tony Delk Dan Dickau Sherman Douglas Tyus Edney Joseph Forte Marlon Garnett Rickey Green Michael Hawkins Chris Herren Mike James Greg Minor Doug OIverton Milt Palacio Gary Payton Kevin Pritchard Gabe Pruitt Brian Shaw Erick Strickland Sebastian Telfair Wayne Turner David Wesley Delonte West Shammond Williams. . . 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Apples and oranges.

DJ was always one of the toughest guys on the floor, a bully in the backcourt... very nice to have. Incredibly athletic, he also worked very hard. He is worthy of all the accolades mentioned and deserves his place in the rafters. Strong and capable, like Sonny Rollins, to use a jazz metaphor.

Rondo is a totally unique talent. One of God's own prototypes, never intended for mass production, there has never been anyone else like him. Like Jackie McLean... within 3 notes you know it's him. Fascinating with moments of ecstasy, or shrill and unlistenable. Take your pick. You either love him or hate him, as we see on this board daily.

Me?... I'm diggin' it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Amazes me..  Rondo has an incredible one game stat line and so many crowning him as great and all timer. Comparing to DJ?? Not in my book. DJ played big time, especially in the playoffs. I felt comfortable and safe with the ball in his hands in the 4th qtr or final couple possessions. He was money, hit big shots and FTs. Rondo isnt near the same zip code. Defensively, its a wider gap. Rondo gets superlatives for his steals. Some are legit off quickness and anticipation, many off of bad gambles which backfire more than not.  DJ was a defensive stopper. Teams didnt pick him off so easily like they do Rondo... DJ could handle many players one-on-one and move them into strength, Rondo gets lost 1on1 almost too easily. The day before Rondos Knick game... and the day after.. Does this one game really elevate Rondo to such a level? Hey, if he put up close to those numbers consistenly, played real defense and didnt shrivel in the 4th qtr.... you might have a point
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Comparing R9R with DJ is like comparing Buford Pusser, legendary sheriff of McNairy County (Walking Tall fame) with Deputy Barney Fife of Mayberry, RFD.

How desperate we are for real heroes.

Pud

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

[QUOTE]Apples and oranges. DJ was always one of the toughest guys on the floor, a bully in the backcourt... very nice to have. Incredibly athletic, he also worked very hard. He is worthy of all the accolades mentioned and deserves his place in the rafters. Strong and capable, like Sonny Rollins, to use a jazz metaphor. Rondo is a totally unique talent. One of God's own prototypes, never intended for mass production, there has never been anyone else like him. Like Jackie McLean... within 3 notes you know it's him. Fascinating with moments of ecstasy, or shrill and unlistenable. Take your pick. You either love him or hate him, as we see on this board daily. Me?... I'm diggin' it.  
    Posted by MrJohnnyMost[/QUOTE]

Nice

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

1979-80 NBA All-NBA (2nd)
    1980-81 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    1980-81 NBA All-NBA (1st)
    1981-82 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    1982-83 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    1983-84 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
    1984-85 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
    1985-86 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
    1986-87 NBA All-Defensive (1st)

Gee, this was before they started 3rd team status.  DJ could play tough against anyone in the league.  80% Foul shooter.  Mr. Clutch.  He played better in the play-offs.

No comparison.  3 inches taller and 25 lbs. bigger.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]Some pains in the neck you would rather have playing for you than against you.  You could probably pencil in losses to any team you traded Rondo to, so you would have to be sure to get back superior value -- not just trade for the sake of trading. Rondo isn't DJ -- but he's the best PG we've had since DJ retired -- and we've tried a lot of them: Kenny Anderson Chucky Atkins John Bagley Marcus Banks Dana Barros Chauncy Billips J.R. Bremer Dee Brown Sam Cassell Calbert Cheaney Bimbo Coles Chris Chorciani Ricky Davis Tony Delk Dan Dickau Sherman Douglas Tyus Edney Joseph Forte Marlon Garnett Rickey Green Michael Hawkins Chris Herren Mike James Greg Minor Doug OIverton Milt Palacio Gary Payton Kevin Pritchard Gabe Pruitt Brian Shaw Erick Strickland Sebastian Telfair Wayne Turner David Wesley Delonte West Shammond Williams. . . 
    Posted by Number6Fan[/QUOTE]

Wow.Reading those names brings on PTSS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]Apples and oranges. DJ was always one of the toughest guys on the floor, a bully in the backcourt... very nice to have. Incredibly athletic, he also worked very hard. He is worthy of all the accolades mentioned and deserves his place in the rafters. Strong and capable, like Sonny Rollins, to use a jazz metaphor. Rondo is a totally unique talent. One of God's own prototypes, never intended for mass production, there has never been anyone else like him. Like Jackie McLean... within 3 notes you know it's him. Fascinating with moments of ecstasy, or shrill and unlistenable. Take your pick. You either love him or hate him, as we see on this board daily. Me?... I'm diggin' it.  

Double nice!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

some people on this board are so sensitive..Chad said multiple times he wasnt saying Rondo is JUST LIKE or AS GOOD as DJ. he said the comparisons are very similar, and the situations were the same, and hes right.

DJ was a big game player, he would check out at times during the season, but when there was a big game you know he was bringing it, in the playoffs as well. some of his finest stat lines came in the playoffs.

Rondo is the same type of player. it seems like he gets bored at times during the season (not saying its right) but in most big games he plays great and in the playoffs he ALWAYS elevates his game. idk about you guys but ill never ever forget the series he put on against the Cavs...magical to watch.

now that DJ retired its easy for everyone to say "oh class act, great guy, great player." but the truth of the matter is, his own teammates called him an @sshole. this is very similar to Rondo's rep.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rondo vs. DJ comparison : DJ made the Celtics complete when he came in 1984.  He could play defense and get up on people like a bigger stronger Avery Bradley.  
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Just goes to show how great MJ was.   DJ was a incredible defense talent and MJ basically roasted him time and time again.  DJ was also a very clutch shooter.  Countless times he would be left open,  kind of like rondo and  DJ would drain it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

There are some other similar players.

Fat Lever is one of a handful of NBA players to even come close to averaging a triple-double over the course of an entire season, and he did it in three consecutive seasons. He averaged 18.9 points, 8.9 rebounds and 8.0 assists in the 1986-87 season, 18.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and 7.8 assists in the 1987-88 season, and 19.8 points, 9.3 rebounds and 7.9 assists in the 1988-89 season.

Lever is one of only three players in NBA history to record at least 15 points, 15 rebounds and 15 assists in a single playoff game. The other two? Jason Kidd and Wilt Chamberlain.
    There are others like Fat. There are other great all-around performers who have been mostly forgotten. Alvin Robertson, who played for the Spurs, the Bucks, and the Pistons, comes to mind