Rondo's gone; Should Doc be replaced by Jeff Van Gundy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Re: Rondo's gone; Should Doc be replaced by Jeff Van Gundy?

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Ky celtic     The facts you avoid   .Gasol is out a minumium of eight weeks trying to blend him with the Celtics this year is impossible.  Howard without surgery is what they got last nite,  Howard had 9 points and no blocks to go along with 6 fouls and 4 turnovers  .We could probably get those numbers or better fron Melo. Besides Howard has no love for Boston or the Celtics.

I bet he has more love for Boston, then he has for Kobe and the Lakers!  What's impossible is trying to blend Rondo with the Celtics this year, since he won't be playing any more this year!!  I'll put you down as preferring Fab over Howard!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to futbal's comment:

Doc (and the HFOs were on board I think) was trying to groom Rondo for a much greater leadership role including taking late game close out shots. Rondo missed some of them early on; then got consumed in a selfish pursuit of the assist record (notice KG says those records don't motivate him at all). So was Doc wrong or right to try to get Rondo to the next level as a player and as a leader? Isn't that a coaches job? The players job is to stretch himself; maintain and build on successes, and get up off the floor when he fails and make adjustments and try again. Rondo in my view was about 50/50 this year; let's see what next year brings. What is your view Fierce and others?

If Rondo can take some vet cues, then he can take that next step..but not so sure anymore..

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Howard will never play for the Celtics  Melo has a chance    Fact   Gasol is out 8 weeks Fact , Anyone that post using the traitors Ray Allens photo is not a Celtic fan anyway. Your a complete fool.

You're!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

The question remains, is it time to fire Doc and replace him with Jeff Van Gundy?

It started as a joke and let's leave it a joke.  We have the second best or best coach in the NBA.  This team needs one more player and we can really have a good run.  Hollins playing for Clippers is guy I wish we would have kept.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

The question remains, is it time to fire Doc and replace him with Jeff Van Gundy?

It started as a joke and let's leave it a joke.  We have the second best or best coach in the NBA.  This team needs one more player and we can really have a good run.  Hollins playing for Clippers is guy I wish we would have kept.

Some here don't think it's a joke. 

I agree with you that Doc is one of the best coaches in the NBA, but some here would tell you Doc is not even a good coach. Go figure.

If we all agreed 100% of the time, we'd be on Sam's board.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Howard will never play for the Celtics  Melo has a chance    Fact   Gasol is out 8 weeks Fact , Anyone that post using the traitors Ray Allens photo is not a Celtic fan anyway. Your a complete fool.

You're!!!!!

I didn't have the heart to do it, two days in a row!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

comprehind?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

comprehind?

Fixed it, thanks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

I like Rondo as a player and I like Doc as a coach but I don't like Rondo as a coach on the floor and would like to see Doc take back some control when Rondo returns. I just don't see Rondo as a KG-type leader for this team moving forward, so I'm on board with whatever has to happen to change that in the future. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

Players want to play for DOC and that will be a BIG selling point for free agents when the time/rebuild comes.  Guys aren't coming here for the weather and most don't care much about our storied history.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Doc is the only coach for this unit. KG and PP will only play for Doc in Boston. Doc can motavate those 2 like no other."

100 percent right. KG and PP not going to play for another coach right now. If Doc gets blame for losses he gets credit for win streak also. 

Fierce, the heck with Van Gundy, D'Antoni should be available soon. :)

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Some folks here on this board seem to have a real issue with disagreement. Why??

Insecurity issues?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KG-LB-KM. Show KG-LB-KM's posts

As KG has said more than once, the NBA  is a players league. Like it or not, the stars get paid more, and they are harder to replace than most coaches. The result, many times, is that selfish stars tend to get away with selfish play more than they should. I guess people can blame Doc, but he has usually had good sucess win NBA size egos. 

I believe that Rondo has been the exception. While it will be difficult to replace him in the play-offs when wins matter more to him than assists, rebounds, and steals, during the regular season, he has decided that winning is important, but only on his own terms. 

An example of this came in the last Houston game, when the Celtics were being torched by Rondo's man in the first half. Instead of playing defense the Celtic team way, he would instead play his oun way , trying to get steals, and rebounds. Terry said at half time, that Doc implored his players to play the right way, that one player argued with Doc, and that Pierce stepped in and asked the team to listen to Doc, that he was trying to coach. The good news is that Pierce's speech worked and they played very well in the second half. While the player's name was never mentioned that argued with Doc, is there a player other than Rondo that would argue with Doc?

Doc once said that all NBA stars want to win a championship, but most are not willing to do what it takes to do it, They are only willing to win it on their own terms.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Why is it a question?  Doc is going nowhere.  Doc was more than fit to be tied by Rondo especially since the Perkins trade.  He is thrilled to be coaching guys who to just play now.  

Doc is one of the top three best coaches in the NBA.  His pleasant style and class make him even better.  When he leaves many of the Doc haters here will be long gone as the Celtics will be possibly irrelevant for a long time.  Pray he stays other than KG and Pierce he is the team's best asset.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Why is it a question?  Doc is going nowhere.  Doc was more than fit to be tied by Rondo especially since the Perkins trade.  He is thrilled to be coaching guys who to just play now.  

Doc is one of the top three best coaches in the NBA.  His pleasant style and class make him even better.  When he leaves many of the Doc haters here will be long gone as the Celtics will be possibly irrelevant for a long time.  Pray he stays other than KG and Pierce he is the team's best asset.

Excuse my redundant answer,  I just saw I had responed to this thread two weeks ago.  I didn't know it was an old thread.  The thoughts are the same though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

In response to futbal's comment:

Doc (and the HFOs were on board I think) was trying to groom Rondo for a much greater leadership role including taking late game close out shots. Rondo missed some of them early on; then got consumed in a selfish pursuit of the assist record (notice KG says those records don't motivate him at all). So was Doc wrong or right to try to get Rondo to the next level as a player and as a leader? Isn't that a coaches job? The players job is to stretch himself; maintain and build on successes, and get up off the floor when he fails and make adjustments and try again. Rondo in my view was about 50/50 this year; let's see what next year brings. What is your view Fierce and others?

My view is give Doc until 2015.

Trading Rondo this season would've been foolish.

The Celts can still build around Rondo. But I'm not saying Rondo is untouchable. Let's see what direction the Celts take after the season is over.

If we could trade Rondo right now for either Pau Gasol, or Howard,  we would be an elite team, capable of winning not one but two championships, back to back.  I'm starting to believe KG and Pierce have enough left to get it done, with either one of these guys on the team.   Bass, Rondo, and a #1 for Howard, or Gasol, and we're on our way!!

Are you crazy?????  Howard hasn't done sh#tin ORL or LA!!!!!  GaSoft?  Cost too much and plays soft!!!!  No thanks to the FAKERS trash at center!!!!!!  Next??????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

In response to BirdLewsBias's comment:

Now that Rondo is out the picture for the year I think Doc can finally coach the team the way it's supposed to be coached. Rondo was running everything and it probably rubbed some guys the wrong way. Rondo was handed too much too soon.

Definitely agree with you.  The Celtics have been winning more games without Rondo.  I really like Rondo but the ball movement has been better without him.  Not sure if the Celtics recent success will continue for the entire season. 

Let's be realists.  It wont as much as we would like it to.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to genaro008's comment:

Doc is the only coach for this unit. KG and PP will only play folr Doc in Boston. Doc can motavate those 2 like no other.

and there you have it.  he can motivate two guys who are too old to win anything for us any more, while the other 10 guys on the roster fester in the SWAMP of lack of roles and consistent minutes that doc creates for them.  doc stinks as a coach. 

if you think otherwise then name me ONE OTHER THING HE DOES than coddle veterans?  one thing.  he coddled rajon rondo into being the most destructive stat compiling so-called "elite" point guard in the league. 

in seven years of doc's tutelage, rondo became a self serving punk who refused to improve his game to even steve colter levels of outside / free throw shooting competence and you dingbats on this board who think nobody in the world but doc can coach the celts manage to look beyond that- by labeling those who actually think for themselves and have a shred of discernment as "haters".

such is life for the intellectually null.  it's never too late to wake up

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Acie, posters would respect your opinion more if you ever presented a balanced and objective view.  You fail to give Doc any credit for players who were developed like Gomes, BBD, Perk, Mike Miller, Bradley, Magette, Big Al, etc. but you blame him for everything that is wrong with Rondo.  If he personally and solely made Rondo the egotistical monster we often see, then give him credit for the positives, too.

and what about the results of the team?  By everyone's account, this team was dead in 2010 but would have won if Perk and Ray hadn't gotten hurt In game 6 against the Lakers.  They would not have gotten to game 7 against Miami when both Green and Wilcox have heart surgery and only lost because of a historic performance by Lebron.  With a trade of Perk, Shaq injured, JON injured, they still exceeded expectations.  This year they lose Rondo, Sully, and Barbosa and they keep winning...with Danny giving him no big man.  Do you think maybe it takes SOME COACHING ABILITY to do all that?  Our roster of an old Garnett and an old Pierce and a bunch of role players has no Durant, Kobe, CP3, Howard, Wade, Lebron, or Carmelo.   But this coach succeeds anyway.

I hate Doc not starting Green and him not controlling Rondo.  he's not perfect.  But, he obviously also has great success and many players, in addition to PP and KG, LOVE to play for him.

thank goodness Danny is the GM and not you.  He knows what a good coach he has.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

Acie, posters would respect your opinion more if you ever presented a balanced and objective view.  You fail to give Doc any credit for players who were developed like Gomes, BBD, Perk, Mike Miller, Bradley, Magette, Big Al, etc. but you blame him for everything that is wrong with Rondo.  If he personally and solely made Rondo the egotistical monster we often see, then give him credit for the positives, too.

and what about the results of the team?  By everyone's account, this team was dead in 2010 but would have won if Perk and Ray hadn't gotten hurt In game 6 against the Lakers.  They would not have gotten to game 7 against Miami when both Green and Wilcox have heart surgery and only lost because of a historic performance by Lebron.  With a trade of Perk, Shaq injured, JON injured, they still exceeded expectations.  This year they lose Rondo, Sully, and Barbosa and they keep winning...with Danny giving him no big man.  Do you think maybe it takes SOME COACHING ABILITY to do all that?  Our roster of an old Garnett and an old Pierce and a bunch of role players has no Durant, Kobe, CP3, Howard, Wade, Lebron, or Carmelo.   But this coach succeeds anyway.

I hate Doc not starting Green and him not controlling Rondo.  he's not perfect.  But, he obviously also has great success and many players, in addition to PP and KG, LOVE to play for him.

thank goodness Danny is the GM and not you.  He knows what a good coach he has.

Keep winning? Let me point out the C's were a losing basketball team with a sub 500 record..