Royce White is Available!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Royce White is Available!

This guy is such a talent! I wish the Cs had a roster spot available! 

Royce White waived by the Philadelphia 76ers, throwing his basketball future into doubt

Royce White dribbles against Brandon Bass this preseason (Jesse D. Garrabrant/ Getty).

The NBA career of Royce White has been a complicated one, to put it mildly. A star in his lone season as a member of the Iowa State Cyclones, White entered the draft in 2012 and was selected by the Houston Rocketswith the 16th pick. It was a potential steal — if not for White's openness regarding his struggles with an anxiety disorder, it's possible that he would have been one of the first five picks in the draft. Big forwards with passing, rebounding, and scoring skills don't come along very often.

Unfortunately, White never found much common ground with the Rockets. Despite early signs that he and the team had reached an agreement on how to deal with his anxiety and fear of flying, White missed training camp(which, it should be said, was not thought to be a huge problem at the time), got into several disagreements with the team regarding what he perceived as their refusal to treat his mental health issues effectively, was suspended for "refusal to provide services" stipulated by his contract, and finally took his D-League assignment. Their relationship ended this summer, when the Rockets traded White to the Philadelphia 76ers.

There has been hope that White would earn a spot on a Sixers roster desperate for any NBA-level talent it can find. However, as reported by Bob Cooney of the Philadelphia Daily NewsSam Moore of Calkins Media, andElliott Shorr-Parks of NJ.com, White was waived by the team on Thursday as part of its last cuts before their season opener next Wednesday.

White had kind words for the organization on Twitter shortly after his release:

The news comes as something of a surprise. As recently as the early hours of Thursday morning, Jason Wolf of USA Today indicated that White seemed likely to make the team based on head coach Brett Brown's hopeful words about White's future and the player's own business-like approach to his future with the franchise. However, Moore tweeted the excellent point that, with so few talented players on the roster and several players out for at least a couple months, the Sixers would need to employ people they could count on to play in as many games as possible, particularly if they were to continue to employ Kwame Brown for reasons only they seem to understand. White, for all his talent, has not yet proven that he can be that kind of player, and the Sixers may have wanted more of a sure thing.

That said, it's as yet unclear exactly how much White's anxiety disorder played into this decision. Cooney, for one, believes that the biggest factor in his dismissal could have been his attitude, noting his ejection from a preseason game against this Monday. While ejections in meaningless games are not typically the biggest deal in the world when a player has lots of talent, it's true that White likely has a narrower margin of error than most players. For that matter, he has appeared to want to succeed in the NBA on his own terms, which is a perfectly valid stance in general but not always popular in a sports league that expects players to conform to its standard operating procedure. NBA teams have proven quite adept at avoiding any potential controversy or unwanted media attention. White, fairly or not, is a player who could complicate things for the Sixers.

It is possible that another team will sign White (or that the Sixers will bring him back on a D-League deal), but a safer bet would be that he will have to prove himself at a lower level of competition first. Philadelphia traded "future considerations" for White, which would suggest that he was available to anyone who wanted him. After failing to make the roster of a team that could threaten the worst record in league history, it would seem that White's reputation is at an all-time low. He will probably need to play in the D-League or overseas if he wants to work his way back to the best league in the world.

Or maybe White should spend some time considering if he even wants to play professional basketball. Since he was drafted by the Rockets, White has been very honest about his problems with NBA culture and the ways in which he wishes it were different. After failing to find a lasting home with two franchises, it's possible that he's just not a good fit for this employer-employee relationship. Recognizing as much would not be an admission of failure, but simply an acknowledgement that he, as a person, does not need the greatest possible success in basketball to validate his life.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Re: Royce White is Available!

We need a pure shooter to play with our young bigs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

HA HA HA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

White is looking to become the 1st independent contractor to collect unemployment and covert that to a permanent disability annuity.

PS: If he goes to Europe he'll have to take a boat to get there and then high speed trains to away games ... Maybe Fungus can be his private driver.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

This guy is so talented! 6' 8" PF who can dribble, pass, and shoot! RW can take the ball coast to coast the way Barkley used to back in the day!

Rebuilding team - why not take a chance on a talent like this! He signs a one year contract for the league minimum, so there is no large risk! If there is no improvement after a year, simply let him go!

This guy is that good! 

Royce White 2011-2012 Highlight Hit Tape - YouTube www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TEFrnwTsU4

• By Cyclones.tv · 
    • 2 min · 
    • 27,669 views · 
    • Added Jun 28, 2012

Royce White is heading to the NBA. The national newcomer of the year, All-American and All-Big 12 First-Team pick found out tonight with a group of ...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Intriguing talent - but it sounds like his mental illness (not just anxiety) issues will hold him back from ever realising his potential.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Intriguing talent - but it sounds like his mental illness (not just anxiety) issues will hold him back from ever realising his potential.

[/QUOTE]

Agree - BUT who better to attempt to treat RW than the health professionals in and around the Boston area! Sign him for the league minimum and attempt to treat him this season! If it doesnt work out, simply let him go when his contract expires. No harm no foul! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I used to want RW when he was at ISU.  Now I don't want any part of him.  What I saw of him in the preseason was incredibly bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This guy is so talented! 6' 8" PF who can dribble, pass, and shoot! RW can take the ball coast to coast the way Barkley used to back in the day!

Rebuilding team - why not take a chance on a talent like this! He signs a one year contract for the league minimum, so there is no large risk! If there is no improvement after a year, simply let him go!

This guy is that good! 

Royce White 2011-2012 Highlight Hit Tape - YouTube www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TEFrnwTsU4

• By Cyclones.tv · 
    • 2 min · 
    • 27,669 views · 
    • Added Jun 28, 2012

Royce White is heading to the NBA. The national newcomer of the year, All-American and All-Big 12 First-Team pick found out tonight with a group of ...

[/QUOTE]

so talented at piling up baby momma's!~!

talented at the buffet table too!! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This guy is that good! 

• By Cyclones.tv · 
    • 2 min · 
    • 27,669 views · 
    • Added Jun 28, 2012

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Aciie - I agree RW is a semi-flawed b-ball player, BUT, I also hope the Cs take a chance on him with a one year deal, league minimum salary! 

Name another PF that can do what RW does in his highlight video! He reminds me of a young C. Barkley! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]

Aciie - I agree RW is a semi-flawed b-ball player, BUT, I also hope the Cs take a chance on him with a one year deal, league minimum salary! 

Name another PF that can do what RW does in his highlight video! He reminds me of a young C. Barkley! 

[/QUOTE]

i'm a believer in 2nd chances.  however, what this guy did in HOU was beyond the pale.  he does NOT have an anxiety disorder he has full blown narcissism.  not even donny lemmon on CNN could cover it up.  did you watch that interview that ROYCE WHITE FLEW TO, BECAUSE HE WANTED TO!!!!- white made a FOOL of himself dodging questions about WHAT did HOU do to betray white and his "illness".  royce had no answers- other than a "lack of respect"

i have read other pressers white did and further to that watched his impersonation of a BLIMP when he did finally bother to show up to the D league team- that lasted a little over a week as i remember.

this guy needs to hit rock bottom and get his S_IT straight before i'd waste a min contract on him.  that hasn't happened yet.  he's young.  it's entirely possible that once he gets down off the high horse and realizes that these four women are going to bleed him dry of money that some reality may kick in and he'd climb on any plane to go anywhere to make a dollar.

right now i wouldn't trust him as far as i could throw him.  but i am not opposed to giving him a chance down the line.  he's someone i'd keep an eye on.  but not now.  you give him a guaranteed contract and he'll develop airplane allergies again and want all sorts of attention

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

[QUOTE]

This guy is that good! 

• By Cyclones.tv · 
    • 2 min · 
    • 27,669 views · 
    • Added Jun 28, 2012

[/QUOTE]He can not boad a airplane.The NBA players have to travel lot.Give hi half of a contrat to just play home games?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to aciemvp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This guy is that good! 

• By Cyclones.tv · 
    • 2 min · 
    • 27,669 views · 
    • Added Jun 28, 2012

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

i am afraid this guys career was over before it even started. Not for the lack of skills but for his mental illness. Just my gut feeling.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i am afraid this guys career was over before it even started. Not for the lack of skills but for his mental illness. Just my gut feeling.

[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope he finds a way to beat his disorder! If he does, he has the potential to be one of the top power forwards in the NBA!

You cant help but root for the guy!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

YES!
    Minimum contract, No away games, get counseling, practice with the troops YES worth a chance! No Pressure and only salad bar! He could add 5 home wins to the team but with great upside.JAG

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I completely disagree.  You don't build team chemistry and strategy around a mentally unstable and still an unproven NBA player.  The idea of changing line-ups for road trips because he can't travel is absurd.  Many great college players never panned out in the NBA because of skills, character, commitment or mental suitability.  White has had his chances with two teams and has not given any indication that he is suitable for the NBA.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I agree with the Dunker......pass on this guy at all costs!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

really? as many as five young'uns by four women? that's some stupid zhit right there. you think DA wants some of that action? i doubt it. royce's nba career is severely set back and i'm glad. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicosUncle. Show RicosUncle's posts

I hear he is trying to fight his fear of flying by taking pilot's lessons....it also helps so he can enter the "mile high" club with all of his future baby momma's!

This guy is a stiff...a head case in a league full of them, and he really sticks out...up there in Vin Bakerville.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I completely disagree.  You don't build team chemistry and strategy around a mentally unstable and still an unproven NBA player.  The idea of changing line-ups for road trips because he can't travel is absurd.  Many great college players never panned out in the NBA because of skills, character, commitment or mental suitability.  White has had his chances with two teams and has not given any indication that he is suitable for the NBA.  

[/QUOTE]

and there you have it.  "mentally ill" and just plain self absorbed are two different things.  the rest of the team's BS meter will be pinned after a short time with white.  last year during his drama, he got on planes and flew to where he wanted to fly.

once you have a guy on the roster who is out HALF of your games right up front, it only gets worse from there.  HOU tried everything with him, he is.......  not ready for prime time.  once he comes back and does some D league travelling for a season w/o drama, victim groups, the the ADA being invoked on the hour every hour for a year straight, then maybe then, and only then do you give him a shot- VET MIN and nothing more

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

really? as many as five young'uns by four women? that's some stupid zhit right there. you think DA wants some of that action? i doubt it. royce's nba career is severely set back and i'm glad. 

[/QUOTE]

LOL.  he may be fast tracking to a pro ball career in iran, if they will have them.

SMALL CHANCE, albeit 5-10% that he has a cash flow epiphany some time in the next 24 months before his skills are gone never to come back and realizes that those NINE MOUTHS TO FEED that he humped his way into are going to mean he will never have two nickels to rub together at once in the next 20 years.....

maybe just maybe he decides to get back into shape and get onto planes.  not likely but maybe

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

and I read an aticle about Melo being perhaps the worst draft pick in the lottery era a few days ago?

REALLY!

I thought this joker was drafted higher than Melo in the same draft?

This joker doesn't even try to play in a game....but Melo was the worst pick ever?

Melo isn't an NBA talent, that much we all know...but I wager that Melo will play more professional games than White ever does.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i would rather pickup damion james...http://www.nbadraft.net/players/damion-james

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

The guy is a primadonna that feels entitled to preferential treatment because of his anxiety issues. He needs to man up. C's need to pass on the guy.