Russell's new statue is a fitting tribute

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Russell's new statue is a fitting tribute

Bill Russell was the greatest winner in the history of team sports in my opinion.....I took a look back at his record and it is almost unbelievable...

College career

2 seasons, a 57-1 record, and two NCAA Championships

Olympics

1 year, an 8-0 record, and the Gold Medal

NBA

13 seasons, a regular season record of 716-299 (.705) with 13 playoff appearances

13 post seasons, a record of 112-58, 12 trips to the Finals with 11 NBA Championships

Total Won/Loss record was 893-358  (.713) with 14 championships in 15 years..!  Russ was the ultimate team player and winner...   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Russell's new statue is a fitting tribute

In response to Duke4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bill Russell was the greatest winner in the history of team sports in my opinion.....I took a look back at his record and it is almost unbelievable...

College career

2 seasons, a 57-1 record, and two NCAA Championships

Olympics

1 year, an 8-0 recdord, and the Gold Medal

NBA

13 seasons, a regular seasone record of 716-299 (.705) with 13 playoff appearances

13 post seasons, a record of 112-58, 12 trips to the Finals with 11 NBA Championships

Total Won/Loss record was 893-358  (.713) with 14 championships in 15 years..!  Russ was the ultimate team player and winner...   

[/QUOTE]

+ 1 B. Russell truely thought through each game! Example: look at the way he blocked shots! Bill always tried to make certain the ball stayed in bounds and went in the direction of a team mate! Who does this anymore? 

One of the all time greats! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I got to watch Russ play for most of his career.....the games against Wilt were legendary....anyone who thinks he couldn't play (and star) in today's game is either too young (most likely) or foolish (possibly) or a hater (probably)....

I've said it before.....he would only differ today from "yesteryear" in that he would have the benefit of today's basic regimen (the weight room, nuitritionists and personal trainers)....instead of playing at 220 or so he would muscle up to around 240 or more (see Dwight Howard only with an incredibly high basketball IQ)....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Right on Mel....Russ could defend anyone.....stat folks (especially Wilt fans) love to point out that Wilt outscored Russ 2-1 and held the overall lead in average rebounds....but think of it this way....first of all, Russ never ever put a premium on scoring....his game was rebounding and defensive (and psychological) basketball.....but then also consider this....over their long and storied careers, Russ (the smaller guy) held Wilt (the Giant) below his career stats when it came to scoring....how a guy 4 inches shorter and 50 lbs lighter could hold the league's ultimate scoring machine under his average the majority of the time is just unbelievabl....and how he could generally rebound with him all the while playing better defense...it is truly mind boggling....Russ was (and is) a living legend......I just read a recent quote from Jerry West....and I quote.....

"I believe that Wilt was a better overall basketball player....but for one game....give me Bill Russell....hands down..."