SB Nation Trade Scenario - Pierce to Clips!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

SB Nation Trade Scenario - Pierce to Clips!

This should be a rumor (but isn’t)

Were the Celtics to trade Pierce, wouldn’t the most suitable destination be back to his hometown of Los Angeles? Of course, but there is no way a lifelong Celtic like Pierce could don the purple-and-gold of the Lakers. We’re talking Los Angeles Clippers.

The one position at which the Clippers could use an upgrade is small forward. Caron Butler is the starter, Matt Barnes plays the most productive minutes and Grant Hill is just coming back from a knee injury.

The Clippers have a logjam on the bench that could be cleared out with a multiplayer swap, and no swap would do more to push the Clippers higher on the list of contenders while also boosting their popularity in LA than bringing a local guy home.

Of course, it is a sticky proposition. The best building-block piece the Clippers have on their bench is Eric Bledsoe, and he would have to be part of a deal for Pierce. The Clippers love Bledsoe and, remember, would not part with him in the Chris Paul deal with New Orleans.

The Celtics would want cap relief, and could get it by taking Lamar Odom’s expiring contract in the deal, clearing $8.2 million off the books. Boston would also have to take Butler (who has an $8 million player option next year) to make the deal work. The Clippers would add a draft pick.

The Celtics would be trading Pierce—one of the franchise’s greats—for, essentially, Bledsoe and a very low draft pick, which would somehow not feel right for Boston fans.

On the other side, Clippers fans wouldn’t be happy about losing Bledsoe, and the franchise knows he remains their backstop in case Chris Paul doesn’t re-sign as a free agent.

But if the Celtics are going to make a move with Pierce, sending him back home is probably the only way Danny Ainge could pull the trigger on something that would not embitter Pierce. Just a thought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: SB Nation Trade Scenario - Pierce to Clips!

I have no desire to see Pierce go, but this is not a bad trade for either team!

Odom, Butler, and Bledsoe would fill allot of holes! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

I still would rather the Rudy Gay-Pierce trade but this isnt a bad trade at all I like Bledsoe alot. He's an electric player and could possible become something big getting out of CP3's shadow.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

This should be a rumor (but isn’t)

Were the Celtics to trade Pierce, wouldn’t the most suitable destination be back to his hometown of Los Angeles? Of course, but there is no way a lifelong Celtic like Pierce could don the purple-and-gold of the Lakers. We’re talking Los Angeles Clippers.

The one position at which the Clippers could use an upgrade is small forward. Caron Butler is the starter, Matt Barnes plays the most productive minutes and Grant Hill is just coming back from a knee injury.

The Clippers have a logjam on the bench that could be cleared out with a multiplayer swap, and no swap would do more to push the Clippers higher on the list of contenders while also boosting their popularity in LA than bringing a local guy home.

Of course, it is a sticky proposition. The best building-block piece the Clippers have on their bench is Eric Bledsoe, and he would have to be part of a deal for Pierce. The Clippers love Bledsoe and, remember, would not part with him in the Chris Paul deal with New Orleans.

The Celtics would want cap relief, and could get it by taking Lamar Odom’s expiring contract in the deal, clearing $8.2 million off the books. Boston would also have to take Butler (who has an $8 million player option next year) to make the deal work. The Clippers would add a draft pick.

The Celtics would be trading Pierce—one of the franchise’s greats—for, essentially, Bledsoe and a very low draft pick, which would somehow not feel right for Boston fans.

On the other side, Clippers fans wouldn’t be happy about losing Bledsoe, and the franchise knows he remains their backstop in case Chris Paul doesn’t re-sign as a free agent.

But if the Celtics are going to make a move with Pierce, sending him back home is probably the only way Danny Ainge could pull the trigger on something that would not embitter Pierce. Just a thought.

I don't think this is going to happen. The Clippers are winning, why would they want to change right now?  All you have to look at is 2011 and see how it derailed us.  Without training camp what are the chances of integrating these three guys and making a run.  We need a big man and a point guard that is for sure though. In the end beside a tweak of two we will not do much, it is just one of those seasons where we got screwed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

The Clips know the best way to get CP3 to sign beyond this year is to win a championship! If they believe Pierce puts them over the top, they will try to pry him away from Boston!

I do not see the Clips parting with Odom however! He is the first big off of the bench, and has been rebounding at a pretty good clip lately.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

If you trade PP from the C's the team is done.  He is the heart of the team with garnett and the only legit scorer on the team.  Trade PP and its rebuilding time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPinoy. Show GreenPinoy's posts

add deandre jordan to sweeten the deal then im in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

If you trade PP from the C's the team is done.  He is the heart of the team with garnett and the only legit scorer on the team.  Trade PP and its rebuilding time.

Agree with you.  I don't want to see Pierce ever traded and want him to retire with the Celtics.  Although, it is possible that he could get traded.  I would imagine that the Clippers and other contending teams could use him.  I just don't want to see it happen. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to GreenPinoy's comment:

add deandre jordan to sweeten the deal then im in.

I agree to get  DeAndre Jordan...

If we got a big man for PP, I think he and KG would be an awesome duo.  

Although I would like PP to retire in Green, for respect for his accomplishments, I would first ask him first if he'd like to play on the West Coast. His roots are So. Cal so I'd do a deal with the Clippers for DeAndre Jordan.  But, although not in So. Cal, I'd do a straight up for Cousins with Sacramento/Seattle. As much as I hate the Lakers and I have respected Pau Gasol as not being soft and feel he is stronger in the paint than KG but also like KG can play PF and can shoot 5-15 ft out effectively, I think he and KG would be a great duo out rebounding many PFs. A new life on a new team might truly inspire him. I'd also explore the Warriors for Lee(many double doubles scoring and rebounds), not a Center, but a very good  PF.

Then if PP is agreeable & feels he can win another ring, although not the West Coast, then "yes" ask him if he'd like to go to Memphis or OKC.

Again, I know NBA is a business but ask PP if he'd mind trade talks with west coast teams and others, he deserves that !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Or, if we really are intent on rebuilding since Rondo is out, I would consider a trade of both but only to the Clippers.

For Jordan, Crawford, Odom, Bledsoe, Butler and a couple of draft choices too.

I could live with it !!! PP's roots are in So.Cal & KG has a home in Cal. But both players deserve to be asked if they would mind be traded...we owe them that !!! For some reason I do not hate the Clippers as I have the Lakers for the 60+ years I've been a Celtic fan.

I live in SF so could enjoy KG & PP when they play the Warriors & also we go to San Diego a few times per year to see family so I'd go to some Clipper-Laker games & root for KG & PP as if they were in Boston.

And terrific too to see these 2 Hall of Famers retire on the same team !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Noone could hate the Clippers,they remind us of the Red sox before 2004! Loveable losers!! As for trading PP the Truth is he should play his entire career in Green.