Scouting Report on Rondo

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Scouting Report on Rondo

bummer, had to put you on igrnore, I'll miss your insights. You're not totally wrong on Rondo, more right than wrong actually, but you're now on a trollish crusade. 

I'll check back on you after the trade deadline when Rondo is still here and see if you have broadened your topipcs you post about again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Scouting Report on Rondo:
    [QUOTE]Rondo was a bad shooter in college. He never shot above 58% from the FT line and was never known as a shooter in college. So why are we expecting Rondo to get better at shooting when since college he was never good at shooting to begin with.  It's year 6, people!
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Simple answer!

Scouting is not a perfect science.

How many scouts were wrong about Jeremy LIn?

They could be just as wrong about R9R too. 

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scouting Report on Rondo : Simple answer! Scouting is not a perfect science. How many scouts were wrong about Jeremy LIn? They could be just as wrong about R9R too.  Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

Good one....Fierce is just a typical Anti-Rondo fan!!!  He think he know everything about college basketball to NBA!!!

If he is that smart, why dont he apply for a GM position.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Rondo has to go on the Perkins Diet!  Perk couldn't hit a foul shot to save his life last year  =  53%  =  UGLY.

He went on a diet and lost 35 lbs..  His "fat" hands couldn't feel the ball.  He threw up bricks. He was shooting wearing boxing gloves..

This year his "slim hands" have turned into a  76% foul shooter.

So Rondo has to go down to 138 lbs., and he can be a great foul shooter.  Or, he can go up to 212 lbs. and become Jeremy Lin.   Laughing

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Everyone should know by now that Rondo's shooting is not going to change, like they said it is year 6.

We held out hope entering this season, after the long lockout and maybe a chip on his shoulder to avenge the rd 2 loss and shoulder seperation drama by becoming a complete player, and he didn't.

Now the options are clear, and there really are only 2 of them:

1. Trade Rondo in the next 3 weeks

2. Build a team around his known skills that is young, fast and emulates the :07 or less Suns and Celtic teams of the 70's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If we're going to trade him it has to be soon, so we can salvage a last playoff run with the big 3 as difference makers who can win playoff games.

The return for Rondo and other parts (like JO or Wilcox/Dooling) has to be:

A. PG who can get the vets their shots with nearly the same ease as Rondo while being a very good 3 point shooter/FT shooter

B. An upgraded big man who will grab 10+ boards in all our playoff games and defend the rim, make scorers think twice about driving to the hoop

That is why the Nash/Gortat trade makes sense, b/c it instantly solves both issues, you'd prob have to resort to more complex 3 team trades otherwise

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scouting Report on Rondo : You don't have to be that smart to know that the leopard can't change its spots. I mean you really expect us to believe that Rondo will still improve his FT shooting when since college he has been a bad FT shooter and in his 6th year in the NBA he's still a bad FT shooter?

Fierce is right as rain!

This is what happened last time a leopard tried changing its spots......

Pud

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

That you, pud?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scouting Report on Rondo : You don't have to be that smart to know that the leopard can't change its spots. I mean you really expect us to believe that Rondo will still improve his FT shooting when since college he has been a bad FT shooter and in his 6th year in the NBA he's still a bad FT shooter?

YOu asked a question the other day about when have you seen someone improve their foul shooting after several years and I gave you the example of Jason Kidd.  You consistently refuse to respond to people when they prove you wrong especially when it involves Rondo....  so he has big hands??? There are a lot of big hand dudes in the NBA that shoot a pretty good % from the line......and I agree with the other poster who put you on ignore... your personal crusade against Rondo is pathetic and laughable.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

If Rondo shoots 76% from the FT line then he will be the modern day version of Bob Cousy... Fiercest34

Very true.  Some data from Basketball Reference, comparing the first six years:

Cousy FG%: 35%, 37%, 35%, 39%, 40%, 36%
    Rondo FG%: 42%, 49%, 51%, 51%, 48%, 49%

Cousy FT%: 76%, 81%, 82%, 79%, 81%, 84%
    Rondo FT%: 65%, 61%, 64%, 62%, 57%, 62%

Cousy assists per 36 minutes: 4.9, 5.9, 6.7, 6.5, 7.3, 8.4
    Rondo assists per 36 minutes: 5.8, 6.1, 9.0, 9.6, 10.8, 9.6

Cousy points per 36 minutes: 15.4, 19.2, 17.2, 17.4, 19.7, 17.6
    Rondo points per 36 minutes: 9.9, 12.7, 13.0, 13.5, 10.3, 13.8

The comparisons corroborate the view that Rondo needs to improve his FT shooting, and that he needs to be more aggressive, generating more FT opportunities in order to be a true elite PG.  It is encouraging that this season, he has improved his jump shot!

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]That you, pud?
    Posted by basketbert[/QUOTE]

Not funny, elvis! ... its my huggybear gurly-gurl.

She was WAY hotter before she changed.

Can you find me in the pic?

Pud

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

Pud, you did not provide an x-ray of the lady.  Perhaps, you're inside her body!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Pud, you did not provide an x-ray of the lady.  Perhaps, you're inside her body!
    Posted by RS75[/QUOTE]

Like a boa swallowing its prey whole.

I'm likely the junk in her trunk... as best I can tell.

Who knows what else this leopard ate right after me.

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In another discussion, Fiercest recommends the following and, if possible, Ilike it much better than Nash/Gortat !!!

In Response to Re: Brandon Jennings for Rondo?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brandon Jennings for Rondo? : Celts get Jennings and Kaman Bucks get Rondo Hornets get JO, Delfino, other players from Bucks or Celts, and a draft pick

Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE

With other posters I agree that Jennings for Rondo does not solve our big man problem but a package deal as you suggest that involves Kaman would be a win-win for us as Jennings  replaces the PG loss and I believe he aves about 15 points per game so would be a wash with Rondo's loss. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In response to "Re: Scouting Report on Rondo": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scouting Report on Rondo : YOu asked a question the other day about when have you seen someone improve their foul shooting after several years and I gave you the example of Jason Kidd.  You consistently refuse to respond to people when they prove you wrong especially when it involves Rondo....  so he has big hands??? There are a lot of big hand dudes in the NBA that shoot a pretty good % from the line......and I agree with the other poster who put you on ignore... your personal crusade against Rondo is pathetic and laughable..... Posted by CASox[/QUOTE] Against Chicago he hit the elbow jumper and his free throws ( four that sealed the game); if you are rooting for the Celts, and by extension for Rondo, that's called an up statistic. Go Rondo! Go Celtics!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]bummer, had to put you on igrnore, I'll miss your insights. You're not totally wrong on Rondo, more right than wrong actually, but you're now on a trollish crusade.  I'll check back on you after the trade deadline when Rondo is still here and see if you have broadened your topipcs you post about again.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]
    I agree with your assumption that Rondo more than likely will be here after the deadline but to call it a troll crusade makes me think you are the obsessed one. Rondo shooting problems are front and center.  He is hurting the offense he runs by becoming someone the defenses do not have to cover in the fourth quarter or in any half court game situation.  It clogs the offense and you certainly have seen it.

Rondo either plays consistently as he did Sunday or he should be moved.  I am not suggesting every game has to be a triple double by the way.  The guy needs to keep his man honest on defense or we lose. It is that simple.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slipslidingaway. Show slipslidingaway's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scouting Report on Rondo : YOu asked a question the other day about when have you seen someone improve their foul shooting after several years and I gave you the example of Jason Kidd.  You consistently refuse to respond to people when they prove you wrong especially when it involves Rondo....  so he has big hands??? There are a lot of big hand dudes in the NBA that shoot a pretty good % from the line......and I agree with the other poster who put you on ignore... your personal crusade against Rondo is pathetic and laughable.....
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

Rondo is 6 years in, he hasn't changed a bit in regard to his shooting, from the field or at the line. Rondo has made no progress, doesn't show any signs he is going to make progress, so what makes anyone think this is going to change? The far and away most likely scenario is this hole is his game is going to continue being a part of his game. 

The question is, can you build an NBA championship team around a guy with these deficienies? Keep in mind, aquiring big three type of talent and skill is not an everyday occurence. All the stars aligned to get it done this time. The next time, Rondo has to be one of the premier talents. 

I fail to see where you proved anyone wrong. Rondo is not Kidd, and this problem still persists. The college scouting report, if anything, it was kind of enlightening, and completely contradictory to the notion he will ever change. If I had the chance to aquire a legit big man in exchange for Rondo, all I can say is, he gone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Scouting Report on Rondo:
    [QUOTE]http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Rajon-Rondo-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-2798/ The biggest concern about his game revolves around his perimeter shooting ability. Much like with what we see with big men at the free throw line, Rondo’s massive hands prevent him from being comfortable in his shooting mechanics and show any consistency in his release. We saw his shooting mechanics change drastically all season long, and more often than not it looked like he was heaving a bowling ball at the basket both aesthetically and in terms of the end result. He only hit 18 3-pointers all season long and did it on a dreadful 27% accuracy from this range. These same problems prevent him from even being an average free throw shooter in college as well, hitting a pathetic 57% from the charity stripe. Rondo is better from mid-range, but is still far from being NBA caliber here too, particularly in terms of pulling up off the dribble.

Who is expecting him to change?

Rondo is not even the best point guard in the league with the initials RR.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scouting Report on Rondo : For the record, Jason Kidd was never a poor FT shooter. Kidd never shot below 67% from the FT line his entire career. Rondo's career high in FT% is 65%, his rookie year.  When did you prove me wrong about Rondo?

You said in a previous post to show you someone who has improved their FT shooting after 5 yrs in the league... I did that with Kidd... he went from 66 % as to 69% for about 4 years and then improved to 79% after all that time.... thats how I proved you wrong.... and if you think 67% is not poor from the FT line then you know less about BB than I thought.....