Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C.

Seeing Shaq in a Celtic uniform tonight in the 1st pre-season game, Man, it looks like he was born to wear a Celtic uniform.

He got up and down the court pretty well too.

And Rondo gave us a preview of what he and Shaq will be doing all season in the lane. A big guy, with soft hands, who can finish.

What's not to like.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Re: Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C.

A slimmer Shaq is definitely a good sign. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

It's been a long time since Shaq came into a season in shape. I think he realizes this is his last best chance for a ring and he intends to make the most of it. I was very encouraged by what I saw of him and as you say, his chemistry with Rondo looked good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Don't be fooled. Age factor in 82 gruelling games will take the toll.

Impressive as you see it, reality will hit when night after nights of travelling & gruelling games.

Will they hang around just to get to the playoff (just like last year)?  
    Is that the strategy they will do this year or run neck to neck with Miami and Lakers?  I doubt it....I'm only questioning their age not their skills.
    Old age are prone to injuries.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

In Response to Re: Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C.:
    [QUOTE]Don't be fooled. Age factor in 82 gruelling games will take the toll. Impressive as you see it, reality will hit when night after nights of travelling & gruelling games. Will they hang around just to get to the playoff (just like last year)?   Is that the strategy they will do this year or run neck to neck with Miami and Lakers?  I doubt it....I'm only questioning their age not their skills. Old age are prone to injuries.
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

I disagree -- IF Doc uses the bench like he should, I don't see anybody racking up big minutes (aside from Rondo). We are deep now....just imagine adding Perk back into it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C. :  I disagree -- IF Doc uses the bench like he should, I don't see anybody racking up big minutes (aside from Rondo). We are deep now....just imagine adding Perk back into it.
    Posted by jhol[/QUOTE]

Ha! when did Doc used the bench and play the rooks?
    Considering he use them, how can they run neck to neck with those premier team? My question again, will they just hang and win here and there to get to the playoff?
    Will they run night after night? CVS don't sell fountain of youth pills.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

In Response to Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C.:
    [QUOTE]Seeing Shaq in a Celtic uniform tonight in the 1st pre-season game, Man, it looks like he was born to wear a Celtic uniform. He got up and down the court pretty well too. And Rondo gave us a preview of what he and Shaq will be doing all season in the lane. A big guy, with soft hands, who can finish. What's not to like.
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

That's what folks in Phoenix and Cleveland thought at first, too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C. : That's what folks in Phoenix and Cleveland thought at first, too. 
    Posted by victorlee1234[/QUOTE]
    exactly...once the honeymoon is over..............................

shaq will burn bridges here faster than you can say miami heat, 2010-2011 NBA champs

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoBoston. Show GregoBoston's posts

I loved the Delonte West / Nate Robinson combo.  Delonte can guard most SG and play point guard on offense.  Nate can guard the PGs and be a SG on offense. 
    West should be the back-up point guard to rest Rondo and keep the passing game going.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

[QUOTE]It's been a long time since Shaq came into a season in shape. I think he realizes this is his last best chance for a ring and he intends to make the most of it. I was very encouraged by what I saw of him and as you say, his chemistry with Rondo looked good.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Shaq's "Dedication" in a nutshell:  "I got hurt on company time, so I'm going to heal on company time."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

The Celtics have 2 O'Neals, what are the chances that both of them will get hurt at the same time. Worst case scenario the Celtics end up using Erden until Perk comes back. 

Do some of you guys really believe that the Celtics are better off having Theo Ratliff and Derrick Caracter as backup Centers? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C. : That's what folks in Phoenix and Cleveland thought at first, too. 

Phoenix had a run and gun offense. He does not fit that style.
    Cleveland went to him early in games, and he did well.  Later in the games, MeBron took over, and Shaq was clogging the lane.
    He will do well here because we play a slow down style and we have better shooters.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]The Celtics have 2 O'Neals, what are the chances that both of them will get hurt at the same time. Worst case scenario the Celtics end up using Erden until Perk comes back.  Do some of you guys really believe that the Celtics are better off having Theo Ratliff and Derrick Caracter as backup Centers? 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
    not at all...just with shaq's enormous size, comes pretty big baggage too...

theo ratliff? god, you almost have to laugh at the lakers thinking he will do anything

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C. : Shaq's "Dedication" in a nutshell:  "I got hurt on company time, so I'm going to heal on company time."

Sounds like Andrew Bynum in 2010!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C. : Phoenix had a run and gun offense. He does not fit that style. Cleveland went to him early in games, and he did well.  Later in the games, MeBron took over, and Shaq was clogging the lane. He will do well here because we play a slow down style and we have better shooters.
    Posted by BirdandCowens[/QUOTE]

Shaq has averaged 48 games played in the last 6 seasons.  Is that going to magically change this year?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C. : Sounds like Andrew Bynum in 2010!
    Posted by BirdandCowens[/QUOTE]

Are we talking about Shaq or Bynum?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C. : Shaq has averaged 48 games played in the last 6 seasons.  Is that going to magically change this year?

Are we talking about Bynum or Shaq?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]Don't be fooled. Age factor in 82 gruelling games will take the toll. Impressive as you see it, reality will hit when night after nights of travelling & gruelling games. Will they hang around just to get to the playoff (just like last year)?   Is that the strategy they will do this year or run neck to neck with Miami and Lakers?  I doubt it....I'm only questioning their age not their skills. Old age are prone to injuries.
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

-

You're a born-again, bona-fide contrarian, Che, cigar and all.  LoL

But you raise a good question:  will they mail in the regular season again or compete for home court advantage?

From what I've heard Doc say and some of the guys I believe they intend to compete for home court advantage.  That's not to say that they will be successful, most likely injuries or the lack of them will determine that.

But as constituted I think they can compete well with all comers.  As Tommy said last night, nobody can put five guys on the court that match the C's starting five.

So it comes down to the bench and Doc's minutes management.  Doc must definitely do a better job this season than last and he has already stated that Rondo will see fewer minutes and you can only bet that Ray will also.  Ray and Rondo lead the team in minutes last season with only a second or two difference, Rondo at 24 and Ray at 34 -- Ray's got to be managed better and he will be more effective.

Delonte will be the big difference maker off the bench along with J.O. and Big Baby, but it's a very deep bench. I was surprised how good Erden looked last night, and I think Doc is pretty high on him and that he impressed a lot of guys in camp.

So, in summary, I think they will compete in the regular season, and if they have a chance to win home court advantage they will go for it.  Injuries will be the telling factor but this is true for all teams.

A brilliant mind such as Perk even said on TV that he believes that if the C's had had home court in the finals they would have won.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Also like the combined numbers of Erdin and Davis as they will be able to do just that against second units..
    Posted by BBALLIQ[/QUOTE]

Yep, it's already become apparent that we have to sniff out another 4/5 body to keep on the roster or I/R for the DURATION of this season.  Hopefully Semi-Pro fits the bill. 

Jermaine already got hurt opening the door to his car or whatever.    Do you think we can somehow keep him from grinding with the Shak in practice now?  If we don't, Jerlame will log 18 games for us and need a leg transplant after game 10.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

Exactly. Except he's older now. In the substance abuse field we called it "euphoric recall." Drunks only remember the good times. They forget the time they couldn't find their car and ended up sleeping on someone's porch or the time they fell down the stairs and broke their ankle. All of a sudden everything is going to be great, Shaq is gonna have a 32" vertical again, he's gonna move like a gazelle in the lane, he's gonna get back on defense. He's 29 magically. Doesn't work that way. Age is the ultimate insult.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Shaq is in good shape and content to be a role player with the Celtics. In Phoenix Shaq was expected to bring the Suns to the Finals. As a Cavalier Shaq was suppose to help the King get a ring. As far as I'm concerned the Celtics have a bigger chance of raising Banner #18 with Shaq as to the Lakers chances of getting their 17th championship with Theo Ratliff as the backup Center. Cool

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Shaq is in good shape and content to be a role player with the Celtics. In Phoenix Shaq was expected to bring the Suns to the Finals. As a Cavalier Shaq was suppose to help the King get a ring. As far as I'm concerned the Celtics have a bigger chance of raising Banner #18 with Shaq as to the Lakers chances of getting their 17th championship with Theo Ratliff as the backup Center. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

If Shaq gets enough shots he will lead the league in FG percentage.  All those dishes to Perk won't be going thru Shaq's hands, they will be going down hard.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shaq Looks to B a Born-Again C. : If Shaq gets enough shots he will lead the league in FG percentage.  All those dishes to Perk won't be going thru Shaq's hands, they will be going down hard.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

I agree. Rondo might even lead the league in assists this year because of the 2 O'Neals. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Old age are prone to injuries." Yes we will struggle with some injuries, it's a risk. But youth and relative inexperience is a risk too. And injuries don't just happen to the older players. Dwayne Wade, now in the middle range - is injured right now. Not Shaq. Dwade. So the injury risks are not unique to the Celts. Our team has good depth and a really nice team spirit. 

Also, you're more likely to get injured if you don't stay in a good offseason regimen. That's why Shaq's fitness is heartening. Let's see how they do and then we can pass judgement. Right now, anyone who doesn't see that Shaq has brought new life to this time is, frankly, not paying attention. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

[QUOTE]Shaq is in good shape and content to be a role player with the Celtics. In Phoenix Shaq was expected to bring the Suns to the Finals. As a Cavalier Shaq was suppose to help the King get a ring. As far as I'm concerned the Celtics have a bigger chance of raising Banner #18 with Shaq as to the Lakers chances of getting their 17th championship with Theo Ratliff as the backup Center. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Yes, let's judge a team's quality by it's backup center.  Hilarious.